June 7, 2011 - McAfee Coliseum - Oakland, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
4U2Play said:
U2 Oakland GA Line Information

After almost a year of waiting, our lads finally arrive in the Bay Area!

:applaud::drool::hug:

The GA line started on Sunday at 12 noon, fifty-five hours before showtime. As of 5am Monday, there are 23 people who showed up and are on the list.

If you think you're going to be late, please give yourself an extra 30 minutes to get there. No more numbers will be given out to fans who arrive in line after 6am.

Because the Coliseum is using two gates for the GA entrance, there is a chance that we will have to make two lines (for Gates A and B). We will try to nail down this information today and pass it on here. If we do make two lines, then it will simply be a matter of asking each fan or group which line they want to stand it, and marking their hands accordingly (A-1, A-2 or B-1, B-2, etc.).

Nick

ummm...so you are allowing fans to stop by, put their name on a sign in sheet, leave, and then just come back at 6am on Tuesday??? Doesn't that seem a little local-centric in logic? I mean, there may be people (like myself and many others) who are planning on hauling it up there as early as possible to get a good line spot on Tuesday but now you are saying that's a waste of time if I don't check in tonight? I am not following that logic nor do I understand how that is demonstrating fandom. You being on line is amazing and much appreciated but to just let Johnny-just-rolled-of-work-to-check-in bump someone who is committed to waiting seems off. And, with your logic, I guess I certainly see how by 6am over 300"names" will check in....it just feels off to me.

Line positions shouldn't operate by "reservations". Ask anyone who waited on line for iPads about that....if you want it,you suck it up and wait inline like everyone else. I am not trying to be a hater but I just don't get it and I'm trying to understand how it's deemed that this is the fairest approach. Also, two GA lines = chaos.

Yeah that's why I'm not dealing with the whole line thing. It's too stressful for me lol. I'll show up at 3 or 4 just early enough to beat all the people getting off work, or the 'casual' fans that are going to show up by opening act or later.

Yeah that's why I'm not dealing with the whole line thing. It's too stressful for me lol. I'll show up at 3 or 4 just early enough to beat all the people getting off work, or the 'casual' fans that are going to show up by opening act or later.

I love your attitude - and i really really want to follow your example but i am just too hungry to be there up close. If i were going solo, i would follow your lead, but i am bringing three U2 Live Virgins and really want to give them the best experience possible. I just feel put off by the process and "reservations" thing is all.

When you show up, let's have a beer! haha

bonowall2011 said:
Hi guys - this is my first posting here so let me start by saying "HI!" and i look forward to meeting some of you on line in a few weeks!

Sooo, the site says that the parking lot won't open until 12Pm but i suspect we will still be planning to lineup in advance of that, no? Its not a pretty area to be hanging out across the street so it's really disappointing that they wont open the gates early.

What the collective thought here...what time do we really think we are planning on lining up? If i say 7AM, certainly 50% of us will line up at 6AM so what makes sense? I loved the commentary about how thee might not be a huge line because of so many Oakland-specific factors and while I want to agree with all of them, this is the first time U2 has appeared in the Bay area in 5 years and they are getting one show (which still frustrates me....c'mon, they have 10 days until the next show!).

I know its my first post so my credibility is in question as far as fan loyalty...I wanna step it up.

My plan is to be there bright and early (7AM) and i would be willing to help out in line policing, aiding, etc to ensure that we all have a kickass time. I'm bringing food, drink, and game and I encourage us all to do that. It'll be a long day out there and nowhere nearby to go to....so keep that in mind.

I don't live in O-Town (i live super south Bay) but I've been there enough to know that you want to be prepared when you get there.

So how can i help? C'mon Bay Folk - let's get this party started!!!!!!

Cheers everyone - looking forward to meeting ya all.

Bonowall

Hey!

I'm here - just checked into a nearby hotel. Where can I sign the GA list?

Scott

While I admire those dedicated to show up 12 hours (or more) ahead of show time, for me, life is too short. I plan on being there between 1 and 2 PM. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling I'll still be able to get a good spot. Maybe not a prime spot, but a decent one. I know there are literally hundreds of tickets for sale for the show on craigslist, and as of late last week the show wasn't sold out online.

I do think the "be there by 6AM Tuesday" is a bit short sighted. The lots don't open until 7 AM, and you'll be battling with the commuters for the parking spots at the BART station. Since the lot is for station parking only, if it's packed with people parking for U2, BART police will start towing vehicles. That could put a damper on an otherwise lovely day.

I know Vegas is not the same, but I showed up at 5:30 and was still able to walk into the pit.

bonowall2011 said:
ummm...so you are allowing fans to stop by, put their name on a sign in sheet, leave, and then just come back at 6am on Tuesday??? Doesn't that seem a little local-centric in logic? I mean, there may be people (like myself and many others) who are planning on hauling it up there as early as possible to get a good line spot on Tuesday but now you are saying that's a waste of time if I don't check in tonight? I am not following that logic nor do I understand how that is demonstrating fandom. You being on line is amazing and much appreciated but to just let Johnny-just-rolled-of-work-to-check-in bump someone who is committed to waiting seems off. And, with your logic, I guess I certainly see how by 6am over 300"names" will check in....it just feels off to me.

Line positions shouldn't operate by "reservations". Ask anyone who waited on line for iPads about that....if you want it,you suck it up and wait inline like everyone else. I am not trying to be a hater but I just don't get it and I'm trying to understand how it's deemed that this is the fairest approach. Also, two GA lines = chaos.

Bonowall, thanks for your comments, I totally respect your opinions and suggestions.

Our plan was to duplicate the GA system used by the line leaders at the Las Vegas show '09, which was universally praised.

The problem with your plan is that BART and Coliseum officials do not want hundreds of fans camping out on their property overnight or early morning. Moving the line to a different location is not viable, the neighborhood is unsafe.

I understand your frustration at arriving the morning of the show and hoping to have a rail spot not likely happen. This occurred to me few times while travelling to other cities.... the local fans started the GA line long before I got there!

There are many ways to run a GA line. This is a way of doing it that conforms with Oakland stadium security requests, provides a safe, clean location in a bad neighborhood, keeps things relaxed and orderly so fans aren't exhausted by the time the show starts, and hopefully, enables those who make the effort to be in a good spot inside the stadium.... no guarantees, though!

And yes, we will check the stadium perimeter for other lines to let them know where we are.

Thanks again Bonowall, look forward to meeting you tomorrow!

Nick

Mrs_Von_Twinkle said:
I do think the "be there by 6AM Tuesday" is a bit short sighted. The lots don't open until 7 AM, and you'll be battling with the commuters for the parking spots at the BART station. Since the lot is for station parking only, if it's packed with people parking for U2, BART police will start towing vehicles. That could put a damper on an otherwise lovely day.

Excellent point regarding the parking situation, Mrs Von Twinkle (nice name!)

We are asking fans to be there by 6am so we will have time to arrange the numbering system. We don't know whether they will split us into two lines or not, so we will need that hour before the gates open to hopefully sort it out. If you've ever run a line before, you know it's not easy.

We will be talking with BART Police and Coliseum security to ask for their advice regarding the early morning parking. In the meantime, we are encouraging everyone to take BART and carpool.

I will try to keep things updated here as information comes in...

sbolli said:
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the work. Where is the signup now? We're here, but can't find anyone.

Thanks again,

Scott

Scott, go up the ramps at the back (east) side of the stadium, the walk down the partially covered elevated walkway toward the BART train station. There are two tents on the right, ask for Brad

ya know what Nick - great points. Great ones. You aint gonna be able to please everyone (including the dicks like me). I am just frustrated that i cant gather my entire group there tonight to sign in in advance of tomorrow's festivities....being selfish i suppose :hmm:

I think a lot of people posting are also right - we will have a good couple of hundred names on that list and then, beyond that, there will a line that continues to follow suit.

My one request however, would be to extend the numbering system (unless you really think thats wasteful) for a while beyond 6AM simply because any structured line policing is good line policing...but thats just a suggestion. I am thinknig back to NYC and Hawaii and we had numbers well into the 500 hundreds to keep people in check (so to speak).

I will be there when those gates open with a car full of people excited as hell to see the boys up close, some food, some drinks, some games, and looking for some serious fun.

When i had checked the website regarding what you can and cant bring - it looks standard....no bottles but no restrictions on BBQs, cans, or anything else.

This will be a huge show but i highly doubt it will be as crazy as Hawaii and i was 300 people back and ended up in the circle, 2 rows deep, which was....perfect. I would expect the same to apply tomorrow.

Cheers and thanks for your constant updates and patience Nick!

Well done.
Chris

Thanks!

U2 Oakland GA Line Information]

After almost a year of waiting, our lads finally arrive in the Bay Area!

:applaud::drool::hug:

The GA line started on Sunday at 12 noon, fifty-five hours before showtime. As of 5am Monday, there are 23 people who showed up and are on the list.

DIRECTIONS

We are currently camped on the elevated walkway between the Oakland Coliseum BART station and the stadium (east side of the stadium). There are a couple of tents and chairs marking our location:

Google Maps

Security moved us back from the Coliseum gates a couple of times on Sunday, but allowed us to stay halfway down the walkway overnight last night. BART Police left us alone (thank goodness :wink:).

We want to keep a low profile and not have dozens of fans lined up on the walkway for the next 24 hours, so once fans sign the list, they are free to leave. Because of problems experienced during the Vertigo Tour, we will not allow family and friends to be signed in by others. Fans must show up in person to sign in themselves. If you want to line up in consecutive order with friends/family, please arrange to arrive there as a group to sign in. I think we are trying to be fair while not requiring everyone to line up overnight.

Fans must return by 6am tomorrow Tuesday for the final line check, at which point we will write the numbers on everyone's hands. Fans who miss the deadline will have their names taken off the list and will not receive a number. If you think you're going to be late, please give yourself an extra 30 minutes to get there. No more numbers will be given out to fans who arrive in line after 6am.

Because the Coliseum is using two gates for the GA entrance, there is a chance that we will have to make two lines (for Gates A and B). We will try to nail down this information today and pass it on here. If we do make two lines, then it will simply be a matter of asking each fan or group which line they want to stand it, and marking their hands accordingly (A-1, A-2 or B-1, B-2, etc.).

At 7am, Coliseum security will (supposedly) move the line(s) inside the stadium parking lot and leave us there until the gates open at 5pm. No word yet about whether we can bring chairs, coolers, etc. We can discuss an in/out policy tomorrow morning. Please plan to be in line all day, however. If you have to go to work/school on Tuesday, please do not expect to maintain your position in the line. This is only fair to those who took the day off to line up.

We are concerned that if there are two GA gates, one gate might not open at the same time as the other, costing fans valuable time and lessening their chances of getting their desired spots inside. So, we will try to convince stadium security that we would prefer the first couple hundred fans on the list to walk in one gate only in a single file to maintain line integrity and to keep things in order. We'll see if they hear us!

PARKING

The Coliseum parking lot will supposedly open at 7am on Tuesday. Parking is $40 :|

In the meantime, for those lining up at 6am, there is free parking at the BART station. The BART parking lot is off of Snell St, parallel with San Leandro Ave (see Google map above). I'm not sure how strict BART Police will be regarding all day parking there, so please plan to move your vehicle once the line is moved into the stadium grounds.

The line leaders are working in eight hour shifts and will maintain the line throughout the day and night. Your kindness and cooperation are greatly appreciated! :love: Any suggestions as to how to deal with stadium security are also welcome. We hope to make this a group effort and minimize any stress and strain.

I will post more information here as it becomes available. Please pass this on to get the word out.

Thanks and have a great show!
Woohoo! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Nick

So how does it work once we get to the Stadium? I am planning on arriving with a small group around 1PM. Guess we will have to see which gate everyone is planning on lining up on?

bonowall2011 said:
ya know what Nick - great points. Great ones. You aint gonna be able to please everyone (including the dicks like me). I am just frustrated that i cant gather my entire group there tonight to sign in in advance of tomorrow's festivities....being selfish i suppose :hmm:

I think a lot of people posting are also right - we will have a good couple of hundred names on that list and then, beyond that, there will a line that continues to follow suit.

My one request however, would be to extend the numbering system (unless you really think thats wasteful) for a while beyond 6AM simply because any structured line policing is good line policing...but thats just a suggestion. I am thinknig back to NYC and Hawaii and we had numbers well into the 500 hundreds to keep people in check (so to speak).

I will be there when those gates open with a car full of people excited as hell to see the boys up close, some food, some drinks, some games, and looking for some serious fun.

When i had checked the website regarding what you can and cant bring - it looks standard....no bottles but no restrictions on BBQs, cans, or anything else.

This will be a huge show but i highly doubt it will be as crazy as Hawaii and i was 300 people back and ended up in the circle, 2 rows deep, which was....perfect. I would expect the same to apply tomorrow.

Cheers and thanks for your constant updates and patience Nick!

Well done.
Chris

Thanks Chris, you're not being a dick at all hahahaha! You brought up some perfectly valid points that should addressed publically.

The thing about numbering people beyond 6am is.... it's a lot of extra work! However, if you or another group of fans want to police that chore, please let us know, I'm all for it. I know a lot of fans don't feel comfortable being line without numbers on their hands.

Thanks for your patience and understanding Chris! If you're there by 7am tomorrow, your group should get a pretty killer spot inside the pit all together.

Hey U2HockeyDad, welcome to Interference!

By 1pm, they should have everyone lined up in some sort of fashion near both Gates A and B. We don't know, yet, whether they will line up the early-arriving fans in a single line or split us up.

So, when you arrive, simply go to either Gate A or B and get in line, there probably will not be any sort of numbering system operating by then.

Once we get more info from Coliseum security, I'll post it here.

Thanks!

Hey U2HockeyDad, welcome to Interference!

By 1pm, they should have everyone lined up in some sort of fashion near both Gates A and B. We don't know, yet, whether they will line up the early-arriving fans in a single line or split us up.

So, when you arrive, simply go to either Gate A or B and get in line, there probably will not be any sort of numbering system operating by then.

Once we get more info from Coliseum security, I'll post it here.

Very excitied! Saw them Inner Circle in Vancouver for 360. First show was in 85! Bringing a few U2 virgins. Hoping to get them in the Inner Circle. Don't need to be along the rail. Looks like weather is going to cooperate.

Many thanks to Brad, Nick and everyone working to keep things sensible. I just signed up and I'll be there EARLY Tuesday to help, if needed.

Someone choose a meet-up/hangout spot for tonight, huh?

Otherwise, see you all tomorrow...

Scott

U2HockeyDad said:
Very excitied! Saw them Inner Circle in Vancouver for 360. First show was in 85! Bringing a few U2 virgins. Hoping to get them in the Inner Circle. Don't need to be along the rail. Looks like weather is going to cooperate.

That's cool, I'm jealous you saw that Van show, I'm still kicking myself for not going.

If you get there by 1pm, you'll get inside the pit, no problem

There is a pressing problem on our hands that might turn into a disaster. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the baseball infield is off limits entirely which means the field area will be much smaller than normal. Let's hope that they only sold enough GA tickets to actually accommodate the portion of the field that will be in use or else this will be an absolute disaster.

Also, I have a question of sorts. When do people usually start snagging the outer rail? Is it towards the time that the heart is about to be filled up? Just wondering because I think my girlfriend & I would probably rather be on the outer rail with nobody in front of us since you get a great view of the video screens and the bandmembers still walk out there. However, I imagine that once all the inner rail spots get taken, people start snagging the outer rail slots for the aforementioned reasons.

Also, where is the best sound on the field? I imagine the outer rail is better than the inner circle simply because of the way the speakers are set up, etc.

they are setting the outer ramp out now, there is about 10 yards between tip of heart and the black hole of the infield thats off limits to the fans...but there is massive space to the sides, looks like the VIP platform has been set off to adams side in this vast expanse since they are not able to place it in front of soundesk like usual. They must be utilitzing huge GA areas outside (behind) the red zone but there probably is 30-40 yards behind it

Just saw 2 more pics of the inside Coliseum.
It's going to be a very weird GA field.
With a huge gap (black hole) in the middle.

More railing though ;)

Does anyone have any idea how many GA tickets were sold?
I'm afraid that, because of this off-limits area, it's going to be really cramped everywhere on the field.
I need a lot of room to :dance:

Where are these pictures? Very interested in seeing what the layout will be like. It sounds like fans will get a much better view than normal since they'll be filling up the sides which don't extend as far back as entire football field would.

they are setting the outer ramp out now, there is about 10 yards between tip of heart and the black hole of the infield thats off limits to the fans...but there is massive space to the sides, looks like the VIP platform has been set off to adams side in this vast expanse since they are not able to place it in front of soundesk like usual. They must be utilitzing huge GA areas outside (behind) the red zone but there probably is 30-40 yards behind it

Hi...so are u saying the red zones are pushed farther back?

The way the new pic thing is I think you have to save them first then re upload them. Who's page is it on? I can do it.. I have time.

Hi...so are u saying the red zones are pushed farther back?

No, RZ will be the same size as always.
But there will be a lot of space for general GA available behind it.
Because of the baseball lay-out instead of the football field.
As you can see in this picture :

8724-overstock-com-coliseum-formerly-oakland-coliseum-u2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom