June 4th, 2011 - Seattle PART 2 - Because it NEVER rains on Romi's birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure I went to a Mariner's game in the Kingdome at some point, but I can't really remember. What I do remember is the earthquake in '96 (I think it was that year), and we were watching the Mariner's game on TV. It was weird to see the earthquake and roof tiles falling on TV at the same time that my grandma's house was shaking.

I lined up late in SLC (9:15am), so I was far back enough that a few line jumpers didn't make a huge difference in terms of position, but it still wasn't cool. Some guy next to me, whose friend was absent all day (never even came to check in earlier in the day) showed up at 4:00pm, after the line was condensed and standing already, and just jumped right in. I mean, really?

Another couple of women had a friend come and join them early afternoon, and then the two of them left that friend alone in line while they left for a few hours. They worked it out so that nobody had to be in line all day, and someone was still there to hold their spot. That bothered me too.

That shit happens at every show and I'm not confrontational enough to do anything about it, but I'm always happy when someone else starts calling out line jumpers. There are reasonable exceptions (like a guy in front of me holding a spot for his pregnant wife at STL on Vertigo), but most of the time, it's not acceptable to hold spots all day, in my opinion.

Obviously, it's a bit different to hold a spot for a few hours in the morning as opposed to most of the day, but it's more the principle of the thing for me.

I bet u2beal999 is sorry she said anything. :wink:

Obviously, it's a bit different to hold a spot for a few hours in the morning as opposed to most of the day, but it's more the principle of the thing for me.

I bet u2beal999 is sorry she said anything. :wink:

Yo! I'm u2beal999's buddy who she mentioned was coming late and now I feel SUPER FREAKING GUILTY ABOUT IT.

I totally get it though, if I was standing in line, for hours, or all day, whichever, I'd be super annoyed if someone cut in front of me.

That being the case, I'm still not 100% interested in getting into some line at the crack of dawn, but I do plan on getting there by 7, which as far as I know is when Qwest is allowing the line to start? I can't make it out the night before, so I really hope the numbering doesn't happen then, that seems kind of out of whack, but what do I know? This is my first U2 GA experience, so is that something that normally happens?

Anyway, thought I'd just give a shout out to y'all. Hope I don't piss too many of you off on Saturday. :wink:

Hey there! :wave:

You know, you've got to do what you've got to do. If the person running the line lets her save spots for you, then of course you're going to take advantage of it, and I certainly wouldn't blame you. The best you can do is just make nice with everyone around you.

Considering it's 8:00 that you're coming and not 3 in the afternoon, I don't know that the people around you in line will care TOO much. But around these parts, if someone mentions it, people will speak up and give their two cents about it. Such is life on the internet. ;)

See you Saturday! :)

I totally get it.

I also plan on bringing bribes, er...treats. To console those who may get upset at my coming an hour or two late.

:)

:lol: Welcome!

Now that you're here, you should pull up a seat and make yourself at home, because we don't let anyone actually leave the Seattle thread. :wink:

OMG

Ackbar.jpg

PS I am a huge nerd.

Yo! I'm u2beal999's buddy who she mentioned was coming late and now I feel SUPER FREAKING GUILTY ABOUT IT.

I totally get it though, if I was standing in line, for hours, or all day, whichever, I'd be super annoyed if someone cut in front of me.

That being the case, I'm still not 100% interested in getting into some line at the crack of dawn, but I do plan on getting there by 7, which as far as I know is when Qwest is allowing the line to start? I can't make it out the night before, so I really hope the numbering doesn't happen then, that seems kind of out of whack, but what do I know? This is my first U2 GA experience, so is that something that normally happens?

Anyway, thought I'd just give a shout out to y'all. Hope I don't piss too many of you off on Saturday. :wink:

I think you'd be better off not telling people that you're planning to cut in line just because you're "not interested" in lining up earlier. People sometimes have legit excuses for holding spots, but yours doesn't sound like one. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Good luck. I hope you have a good time at the show (and that you're not cutting in front of me in line. :wink:).

In Vancouver 2009, I walked up to a non-GA line gate at 5pm. When I got down to the field I easily managed to walk right into the pit on Adam's side and was second row inside the outer rail. I chatted with this couple standing at the rail position. They had been in line since 7am to get this spot that was 2 feet from me.
I suggest that if you want front and center in the pit, then you better do the line deal. Otherwise, if you just want to get inside the pit anywhere not too important (like a rail), get there when the doors open. You will get in the pit. And remember, MOST fans going on the field are completely clueless about the layout and how to enter the pit area. When 1,500 people start to stand around the setup, there are no obvious clear markings to tell people "This way to the pit." People just start to build up around the front area of the field, not knowing that the pit is only half full. They simply don't research this stuff ahead of time.

Yeah, it's kind of a crap shoot for the close spots. I've heard of that happening fairly frequently ... which is great for late comers!

And that's why I'm kind of settling in with the fact that it's okay if I don't get a number that's really low, or if I say "fuck it, I'm coming back later."

I still could easily get second row, which is still somewhat acceptable. :)

Oh, and orca - yeah, Qwest says the line can't start before 7, but all of us U2 veterans laugh in the face of such statements. There will likely be a line nearby (just off the stadium property, so they can't do anything about it), that likely has started the day before.

(Edited out the rest because you just clarified in your next post.)

I think you'd be better off not telling people that you're planning to cut in line just because you're "not interested" in lining up earlier. People sometimes have legit excuses for holding spots, but yours doesn't sound like one. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Good luck. I hope you have a good time at the show (and that you're not cutting in front of me in line. :wink:).

It's not that I'm wholly "not interested" it's that I have 2 small children under 5 who do not let me sleep incredibly awesomely.

That being said, reread above, I'm planning on at least as early as 7am, if I keep seeing people telling me not to tell, maybe I'll eke it earlier, but the line at Qwest officially starts at 7am, that's at the moment what I'm planning.

As I keep coming back here I'm already considering that, I just don't know how early exactly yet. I can't make it out the night prior (see reasoning above as well - KIDS) so my buddy u2beal999 will scope out the line deal and if need be I may just go to bed at like 8pm and hope for the best with an early line up with y'all.

Please don't hate on me, like for serious, I won't be there later than 7am and I plan on sticking around day excepting for food and potty breaks + dropping stuff off at the car.

:sad:

It'll work out all right. Do your best to get there as early as you can, and either you'll have a spot right there with your friend, or you'll be a little further back. Honestly, I can't imagine you'd even be that much farther back in line.

No hatin', just some no-nonsense true feelings that you might not get when you ask the people who are right around you if they're okay with all of it.

(I'm more likely to be a little passive aggressive about it in person, to be perfectly honest. I'm not proud of it, but I'd rather avoid confrontation ... in person, anyway!)

Now I'm really feeling guilty.

It's my first U2 GA experience, I've been to several shows, all with seats, so no line ups required. Prior to the past three tours I was kid-free, but had little money/access to awesome tickets, and since then when I've actually HAD the money, the kids were a factor, so we're living it up this time around.

Perhaps I'll just do it (early) and deal. I'll just bring loads of Tylenol for later.

So, "Veterans" - how early ARE you lining up?

It'll work out all right. Do your best to get there as early as you can, and either you'll have a spot right there with your friend, or you'll be a little further back. Honestly, I can't imagine you'd even be that much farther back in line.

No hatin', just some no-nonsense true feelings that you might not get when you ask the people who are right around you if they're okay with all of it.

(I'm more likely to be a little passive aggressive about it in person, to be perfectly honest. I'm not proud of it, but I'd rather avoid confrontation ... in person, anyway!)

I'm the same way. :huh:

Seriously, this GA space is huuuuuuge, so showing up a little later is not going to end up with you in crappy spots on the floor. The only reason I'm being so paranoid about it is that I'm short enough that I can't stand being behind anyone even an inch taller than me.

We don't know the logistics yet - there's too much we won't know until Friday (who's running the line, when it's starting, where it's starting, do we have to stay overnight, what time do we show up on Sat if we don't have to camp out).

It's a little crazy, and we're all just playing it by ear. :)

Seriously, this GA space is huuuuuuge, so showing up a little later is not going to end up with you in crappy spots on the floor.

We don't know the logistics yet - there's too much we won't know until Friday (who's running the line, when it's starting, where it's starting, do we have to stay overnight, what time do we show up on Sat if we don't have to camp out).

It's a little crazy, and we're all just playing it by ear. :)

Is it something generally put together by the fan club? By random fans? By the stadium people? I am so newbie at this. LOL

Usually some dedicated fan or fans will start the line. No idea how someone decides to do it. Do they just go plant themselves near the stadium and spread the word to their friends and then word gets out? I think a lot of people who want to get in the line that early are kind of already hanging out there, waiting for it anyway. I suppose there's nothing stopping me from going down there at noon on Friday with a notebook and a sharpie and saying "I AM THE LINE!" but shit, I don't want that responsibility. :lol:

Usually the line runner will connect with stadium security, and most of the time, I think the stadium is happy to have someone in charge, because they don't want to deal with (or don't know how to deal with) a line full of hundreds of people hanging out there all day.

Got it. Okay well I guess I'll just hang out until Friday night when I hear from my pals who are more party animals than I.

Folks are on Twitter as well I saw? My phone isn't very awesome for Twitter, really, and I want to keep the battery for the show itself, but I wouldn't be opposed to keeping in touch that way as well.

I think someone mentioned Twitter as well, but I don't care to follow Twitter on my phone either, so I'm relying on texts. I'll do my best to post it here when I find out, but sometimes my phone is a bit iffy with this site.

So. Now that we know everyone's feelings on place-holding in the line ...... ;)

Claw update: Weather is gray and drizzly and miserable, so Safeco roof is closed, so I can't see into Qwest from work. :grumpy:

Goodness! I was just commenting about my (IMHO) super delicious marshmallows *note to forum gods, there should be a marshmallow emoticon* that I'll be bringing! Although, I can understand how others feel about line jumpers, I guess I'm more forgiving. We're all there for a great experience; no reason to raise your blood pressure over it. I want to be :D when I get in, not :grumpy:

orca, I have Twitter, and will probably post occasionally. See the little T over to the left in my profile there, if you want to send me a tweet on the Saturday. :)

Be forewarned however, that I'm talking mostly hockey right now, but it will switch over to U2 stuff starting on the weekend. :) I sometimes feel bad for my followers who don't give a rats ass about hockey, but that talk will all die down in a few weeks once the finals are over. :giggle:

orca, I have Twitter, and will probably post occasionally. See the little T over to the left in my profile there, if you want to send me a tweet on the Saturday. :)

Be forewarned however, that I'm talking mostly hockey right now, but it will switch over to U2 stuff starting on the weekend. :) I sometimes feel bad for my followers who don't give a rats ass about hockey, but that talk will all die down in a few weeks once the finals are over. :giggle:

I'm gonna go follow you, it might be fun to group up on Twitter and follow each other's adventures this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom