June 25, 2010 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet you any money right now that Beautiful Day will not get booed at Glastonbury. People will be too drunk and grateful to hear a song live that they know so well and that they can sing along to.

Beautiful Day, while it's pissing it down with rain in the Glastonbury tradition :D

Let's get real here people. The set will be mainly greatest hits and any "rare" songs that may get played at Glastonbury will be ones that they are already playing on the tour. U2 is not gonna rehearse new songs just for this one show. They barely rehearsed new songs during the course of the 2009 tour (minues a few exceptions of course) so I don't understand why people think they will for this one show. Unless they find their way into the 2010 tour's setlist, there won't be any Mofo, The Fly, God Part II, etc at Glastonbury.

c'mon what's wrong with a few flights of fantasy? ;)

if i was going to get real, i'd just reel off the 360 setlist wouldn't i, and where would be the fun in that?

c'mon what's wrong with a few flights of fantasy? ;)

if i was going to get real, i'd just reel off the 360 setlist wouldn't i, and where would be the fun in that?

There is no fun in that, but them playing a standard 360 setlist is far more a reality than the band pulling out a bunch of rare songs. And the more people keep hoping for the rare songs, the more they're going to be angry and pissy when they don't get played at the festival. :wink:

I'm very surprised that U2 are taking on Glastonbury - clearly they're striving for more to prove. The biggest band on the planet playing to a bunch of bitter, indie music-enthusiasts who want Bono's head on a stick? It's a daring gig for them to play and I do not think they're getting the credit they deserve for this decision.

Good luck, U2, and I wish you the best...

...playing to a bunch of bitter, indie music-enthusiasts who want Bono's head on a stick?

I don't think that's probably an accurate description of the Glastonbury audience, especially considering the lineup they've had over the years. It's a huge festival (more than 170,000 people!) and they always have big-name artists. So I don't think the majority of the audience are hardcore indie music enthusiasts, rather they are general music lovers.
And yes, a part of those will be people who don't like U2 (and some might even want Bono's head on a stick). But I'm sure there'll be many who do like U2 (and some will be hardcore fans who drool at every word Bono says).

Don't let a vocal minority confuse you about the general Glastonbury audience.

sorry for the length of this

yeah I was gonna say something in the same vein as was Popmartijn's just said. Glastonbury has SO much going for it it's insane. They've had some of the biggest names EVER play that festival, and SO many of those artists fit straight into the Love Them/Hate Them category. I'm sure Springsteen divides opinion just as much as U2 (as a GROUP not just Bono and his charity stuff) as do Paul McCartney, Bowie, Blur, Coldplay, Muse, and all sorts of bands who've headlined.

Glastonbury is not (despite the vibe people may pick up from wherever) a lion's den of cool, trendy indie kids who'll rip U2 limb from limb the minute they take to the stage. It's a shame some people are getting the wrong idea about what Glastonbury's like. There's no DEFINITIVE demographic. People of all tastes and ages go. If U2 announced they were headling Reading, on the other hand, then we'd have grounds to worry. :wink:

All the people going on about how much of a knob Bono is for his NON-MUSICAL activities, aren't going to waste their time going to see U2. There will be, guaranteed, SO many other headliners on the other stages to go see when U2 are playing they won't be in the least bit bothered.

Sure, there'll go around next day trying to get people to pay attention to how cool they were for NOT seeing U2, but that's their loss. We're right. They're not. :lol: those who go to see U2 will most likely be blown away.

One important thing to remember here that this is almost totally foreign territory for U2. They haven't played a festival in what was it? 25 years?? Since their last festival show they became the biggest band on the planet and are going to arrive at Glastonbury to play to a crowd made up of non-hardcore fans. In that sense it'll kinda be like Live 8 and so on to a more extreme degree.

People there will most likely own a handful of albums each and know their best-known music very well, some may only know Vertigo, some may just own a best of, but I think everyone's going to watch this either at the festival or on TV/online and think 'wow', it's U2 for god's sake - they're an amazing live act and they will have the crowd in the palm of their hands the minute they play the first song - I really don't think there's anything to worry about! :)

I actually think you might see more viscral earlier songs like I Will Follow or 11 O'clock or Out of Control in the Glastonbury setlist, as a throw back to their previous festival shows. I have the feeling they'll want to keep the tempo as high as they can (in the beginning at least).

Yes I agree, they should play I Will Follow instead of Boots. That would be a very smart move in my opinion.

new Arcade Fire album in May. also talk of festival dates. I wonder....:hmm:

Arcade Fire followed by U2 on the Pyramid Stage. i can fucking see it now......:crack::crack::crack::crack::crack::drool:

They've now come out and there's more likely to be a new Arcade Fire album in the second half of the year so don't get your hopes for festival appearances, unless they feel like trying out new material on a festival crowd.

Glastonbory festival goers these days are largely corporate twenty somethings, investment bankers, accountants etc..there will be a few indie kids but Glastonbury wouldn't be cool enough for them..I don't see U2 having a big problem with the crowd.

Damn, I'm gonna have to sit through them whilst waiting for U2 :doh:
I don't mind them but I would prefer the Cribs..I shall be in front of the Pyramid all day on Friday I reckon to make sure I get a good place at the front, so I hope there will be some good acts on!

The other headliners are all but confirmed now. Saturday - Muse. Sunday - Stevie Wonder. I'm ambivalent towards both of them to be honest so will probably look for someone else to see on both those days.

More importantly though, how do you see U2's chances of dominating the festival against those competitors? Potentially it is a risk with Muse playing the night after, the haters could easily rally behind the success of Muse's performance to diminish that of U2.

But then I have complete faith in the boys :D

The other headliners are all but confirmed now. Saturday - Muse. Sunday - Stevie Wonder. I'm ambivalent towards both of them to be honest so will probably look for someone else to see on both those days.

More importantly though, how do you see U2's chances of dominating the festival against those competitors? Potentially it is a risk with Muse playing the night after, the haters could easily rally behind the success of Muse's performance to diminish that of U2.

But then I have complete faith in the boys :D
I can't see Stevie Wonder or Muse being that amazing to be honest. I will probably see Muse though as they usually have a really good light show. I think Stevie would be better on the Sunday afternoon, but never mind..there will be lots of other things going on. I still think U2 will go down a storm!

Muse can't connect with the crowd the way u2 do, fine for them because their crowd seems to have a fucking amazing time anyway.
But I don't think that the crowd won't bash U2 If muse plays at the same festival.
Maybe some lousy critics, but nothing hurtful.

Just checked here and any cancelled tickets will go on sale on 11th April.

The demand is gonna be insane though!

It's well worth it, it's an amazing weekend. Don't forget you need to register with Glastonbury before 31st March if you wanna but tix on 11th April.

Lol at the poster who says they can't see Muse being amazing live. Whether you're a fan or not, Muse puts on an absolutely amazing show. Do they interact with the audience as much as U2? No. But nonetheless, they put on a brilliant show.

I so wish I could go. U2 and Muse. :drool: But I'm heading to Toronto on July 1st(for U2!) and then I'll likely be in England in September to see Muse's 3 UK gigs. :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom