June 24, 2011 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Went last year, was completely gutted when they had to pull out. Will be trying tomorrow with friends. Naturally everyone else is concerned that U2 fans are gonna swamp the festival. Although the registration has now closed.

The fact that registration is closed won't exactly curb the supposed swarm of U2 fans, the hints that have been dropped since the 2010 festival ended are enough for any die hard fan wanting to go just for U2 to register months ago. That AND your registration lasts a good few years so there'll already sorted to get a ticket tomorrow. If this isn't what you meant, then I apologise. Besides, any headliner divides fans of the festival anyway.

MOVING ON - I'd be up bright and early to book tomorrow guys as U2.com "dropped the biggest hint yet" by mentioning tickets in a news story the day before. Though I guess it's just taken as read around here that they're appearing next year? So look alive! :drool: last year they took 12 hours to sell out, which is pretty long for Glastonbury...tomorrow's going to be a fucking riot.

Nah I don't think it'll be that bad. Most 'hardcore' U2 fans are members on this forum (and others) surely?, and there hasn't been that much buzz about it round these parts.

Went last year, was completely gutted when they had to pull out. Will be trying tomorrow with friends. Naturally everyone else is concerned that U2 fans are gonna swamp the festival. Although the registration has now closed.

Why would that be a concern?

Ahh, I wish I could go. I've always dreamed of seeing them at a festival.

got mine just now! :) VERY excited, but I hope you guys were lucky! I'm going to need some interference people to meet at Glastonbury so I have someone to sing at the top of my lungs with. My friends all fucking HATE U2 and, when it's Glastonbury, it doesn't really fall under something my girlfriend will come to see just because it's something that means so much to me! It's Glastonbury, she'll have something ELSE to see which i understand! :lol:

Had tickets for last year and when U2 pulled on I was distraught and getting Gorillaz as a replacement was just poor. Went to Brussels to try and make up for it (which was great) but had to get tickets for Glastonbury as I don't think any 360 date can match the occasion of this. I've got my tickets for this years and all being well by tonight U2 will be confirmed headliners hopefully along with bands more impressive than 2010's effort on the bill too!!

totally agree! Nothing will match this gig. I considered seeing them in Paris after they pulled out of Glastonbury as they were playing new songs etc but it wouldn't be the same. Besides I saw them in Cardiff last year, anything else is just an amazing bonus! Especially Glastonbury!!

I remember reading the announcement on the festival's facebook page that they had to cancel and my stomach just lurched...such a sad feeling, and Gorillaz really let themselves down I thought.

I left 3 songs into Gorillaz to watch the Bootleg Beatles....a sad state affairs watching a tribute band instead of a Glastonbury headline slot. Last year's line up seriously lacked a U2/Springsteen style huge headliner. Stevie Wonder was cool, but his set lacked the spark that McCartney had say in 2004. The hint on U2.com would suggest we are on to a sure thing. Apparently Michael Eavis will announce the headliners when the tickets have sold which i'd imagine to be real soon judging from the demand this morning!

Why would that be a concern?

Ahh, I wish I could go. I've always dreamed of seeing them at a festival.

Because if any one band's set of fans swarm the festival it would be crap, whichever band it was.

Got tickets this morning after 2.5 hours of hitting refresh! So buzzing now, just need U2 to confirm and all will be dandy.

Got myself a ticket, had a great time at this year's festival and although the main attraction was U2, the festival was amazing. Though hearing "with or without you" played over the PA before Gorillaz came onstage did leave me feeling a little bitter, so hopefully 2011 we get the real deal!

Because if any one band's set of fans swarm the festival it would be crap, whichever band it was.

hahaha - the thing is (not to offend any U2 fans) there are very few bands, including U2, whose fans swarming a festival in such a way would be pretty shit. I mean Coldplay fans clogging up the pyramid stage is one thing. Their militant fan base are all dweebs, but U2 fans is another level, especially if you're just a regular old guy at a festival who happens to hate them :wink: so yeah, if they headline i pity a few snobs at next years Glastonbury haha

as for Glastonbury, the current rumour being thrown around is U2, Coldplay, Prince. I saw Coldplay at Glastonbury 2005 and at Wembley last year and both times they were mindblowing, they're an incredible live band. Prince I barely know any of his music :reject: so I'd have to get a few albums and check him out if it's true..

however, with PULP announcing a reunion the odds have been slashed for them playing, which would just blow my fucking mind. Blur was incredible enough but Pulp would mean I'd die a happy man. All I'd need is Radiohead (replacing Coldplay when Chris Martin gets dysentery and they have to pull out) along with U2 and Pulp (if EITHER or them play...) and that'd be my dream glastonbury :drool:

Radiohead are now rumoured.

It would be perhaps the first time u2 and R'Head have gone toe-to-toe close together with both bands world famous and with production(Tibetfest in 1997 had both on bare stages before Ok Computer really took off).

Comparisons will be inevitable.

Nah apparentely Radiohead are only rumoured cos the drummer made some very vague comments to that effect on a radio show. The fact is they are still working on an album at the moment and from what I heard last, that's a way off being completed.

Pretty much certain to headline are Coldplay, going by a lot of reports of what they have been saying to people/interviewers. The third headliner is obvioulsy more ambiguous. Prince is still a strong rumour.

Personally, I'd just love U2 to either confirm or deny right now, cos I'm gonna be pretty tight on funds around the time of Glastonbury and if they aren't playing then I'll return my ticket.

Hasn't Neil McCormick basically confirmed it already?

"U2 are threatening a new album with hip-hop maverick Dangermouse at the controls. Following the underperformance of 2009’s No Line on the Horizon, the Irish supergroup are widely deemed to have lost some of their swagger, but, if so, nobody appears to have told them. Expect to see them convert critics and slay begrudgers with a barnstorming set at the Glastonbury festival."

Wasn't that his little blurb for last year's appearance at the festival?

It was very similar - barnstorming set to shut them up, etc.

U2 are a lock. I don't think there's any doubt about that anywhere.

I don't think there'll be too much of the hate with it this year. I was there last year, and there was a lot of "HAHA Bono. Thank god U2 cancelled." going around. But then the Gorillaz tanked and the Muse/Edge Streets was pretty much an undeniable highlight of the whole weekend, and by the end of the festival, the prevailing attitude seemed to be "Okay, that would have been pretty cool, bit of a shame they cancelled..."

One of my highlights of the whole weekend was actually just as Streets was kicking off, some punter screamed out a well timed "YOOOOOO TOOOOOO!!! FUUUUCK THE HAAAATERS!!!!" and got loads of love from all around.

Personally, I'd just love U2 to either confirm or deny right now, cos I'm gonna be pretty tight on funds around the time of Glastonbury and if they aren't playing then I'll return my ticket.

Don't do that! You would have a great time at Glasto..there are bound to be many other acts playing that you would enjoy even if U2 don't play, plus all the other things going on. Glastonbury is a unique festival, nothing else quite like it. The only place I know where you are guaranteed a good time, no matter what the line-up.

Don't do that! You would have a great time at Glasto..there are bound to be many other acts playing that you would enjoy even if U2 don't play, plus all the other things going on. Glastonbury is a unique festival, nothing else quite like it. The only place I know where you are guaranteed a good time, no matter what the line-up.

Haha yeah I know, I was there for the first time last year and it was probably the best 3-4 days ever! Its just I graduate this summer and have a 4month trip across America planned, so spending 300quid+ for Glasto just the week before is pretty self-indulgent :wink:

So I've kinda promised myself that since I was so disappointed with them cancelling last year I will go if they are there (the pain of watching it on TV would be too great!!). If for whatever reason they aren't making an appearance, I'll have to bite the bullet and get a refund on the ticket, as hard as that will be.

One of my highlights of the whole weekend was actually just as Streets was kicking off, some punter screamed out a well timed "YOOOOOO TOOOOOO!!! FUUUUCK THE HAAAATERS!!!!" and got loads of love from all around.

Haha thats brilliant. Yeah it was definitely the highlight of my weekend, completely took me by surprise. I expected Muse to do some kind of U2 tribute but by that point in the set I thought the time had passed, and never thought Edge'd be there in person!

I saw him wandering around during the day - day before as well actually, I saw him at Florence + the Machine - and there was word on the street that he was there to do something with Muse, but I was pretty floored when it actually was Streets.

I saw him wandering around during the day - day before as well actually, I saw him at Florence + the Machine - and there was word on the street that he was there to do something with Muse, but I was pretty floored when it actually was Streets.

Really??! How did you resist the temptation to go over and say hi? If I'd seen him I'd have been completely floored. It still niggles me to think how close proximity-wise I probably got to him unwittingly just walking around during the days.

Coldplay have been all-but-confirmed that they are headlining the Saturday. Looks like the big showdown between U2 and Coldplay has arrived!! I reckon U2 are gonna need to pull out an even more special performance to prevent the haters claiming a Coldplay victory.

easy peasy ha

are U2 doing the Friday??

eta: Coldplay are incredibly ropey live - nothing near U2's live performance standards... should be fun to watch and compare lol

once they get some Fly (Boston style would be phenomenal!)/Achtung Baby sounds ripping, combined with their bulldozer-like on-stage energy, the haters will be eating their words... will be awesome... Coldplay will look like wet blankets in comparison hehe (i actually like Coldplay - love their early stuff, but they have a certain time and a place)

Coldplay have been all-but-confirmed that they are headlining the Saturday. Looks like the big showdown between U2 and Coldplay has arrived!! I reckon U2 are gonna need to pull out an even more special performance to prevent the haters claiming a Coldplay victory.

They last played on the same bill back at Slane 2001(non-DVD night).

YouTube - Coldplay - Trouble (Live @ the 2001 Brit Awards)
Coldplay also performed at the 2001 Brits, where U2 did their HOF induction performance of BD/One/UTEOTW. Also the night where U2 were introduced to the directorial work of Hamish Hamilton(those 4 song clips are actually well directed)

I'm sure if Brian Eno attends Glasonbury 2011, he wll tell both bands they were best of the weekend.

Yes but the difference between 2001 and now is that Coldplay are one of the biggest bands in the world below U2. They've long been tipped to steal U2's crown and I can see this being built up as the showdown. Bring it on I say. Personally I'll be hoping there's a band headlining on one of the other stages that I'm more interested in, so it'll be a one-sided contest from my point of view!

once they get some Fly (Boston style would be phenomenal!)/Achtung Baby sounds ripping, combined with their bulldozer-like on-stage energy, the haters will be eating their words... will be awesome... Coldplay will look like wet blankets in comparison hehe
Yeah I definitely agree with this, but if they don't start pulling out them goods on tour there's no chance. They'll probably crack out In a Little While :huh:

According to Twitter Michael Eavis has confirmed U2 are headlining :hyper: So excited. Its not as much of a gob-smacking surprise as last year but I had started to get worried that they hadn't confirmed yet. Just to need to find an official report now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom