June 24, 2011 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i've just watched a video of Desire from last night and have to agree. would be really surprised if a huge singalong like that didn't make it. Out Of Control really should too, they still play that with a great deal of energy considering it's 32 years old :lol:

Certainly not a wish list, but given what the punters seem to want (Greatest Hits), and what Glastonbury headline spots are all about (the best playing their best to their best) and what is *somewhat* realistic (few songs here I'd personally ditch and replace)... then something like this:

1. Even Better than the Real Thing
2. Vertigo
3. New Years Day
4. I Will Follow
5. Get On Your Boots
6. Magnificent

7. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
8. Elevation
9. Until the End of the World
10. Glastonbury

11. Desire
12. Stay
(If there's a BB King collaboration, it's in this group.)

13. City of Blinding Lights
14. Crazy Tonight-Discotheque
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday (possibly with Jay Z)
16. Pride
17. Bad

18. Beautiful Day
19. Mysterious Ways
20. One

21. Ultraviolet or HMTMKMKM
22. With Or Without You
23. Amazing Grace/Where the Streets Have No Name
24. All I Want Is You/Can’t Help Falling In Love (as per Zoo TV)

JOB DONE. OFF TO SHANGRI-LA.

Yeah that is a solid gold set right there (although I really doubt they'll play Beautiful Day so late on it the set). My fingers are crossed for All I Want Is You having seen them play it again last night. My view is they should play HMTMKMKM instead of Ultraviolet as I think it adds a bit of variety. I'm sure they will be agonising over the choices though, I really wouldn't like to be them with that choice!

I think you're looking at something more like -

1. Even Better Than The Real Thing
2. I Will Follow or Out Of Control
3. Beautiful Day
4. New Year's Day
5. Get On Your Boots
6. Mysterious Ways
7. Magnificent
8. I Still Haven't Found / Stand By Me
9. Elevation
10. Until the End of The World
11. Glastonbury
12. Desire
13. When Love Comes To Town (w. BB King)
14. City Of Blinding Lights
15. Vertigo
16. Crazy Tonight / Discotheque
17. Sunday Bloody Sunday (hopefully without Jay-Z!)
18. Pride
19. One
20. Where The Streets Have No Name

21. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
22. With or Without You
23. All I Want Is You / 40

As much as I want them to, I really can't see them playing Bad :huh:, but I hope I'm wrong. I also agree they'll probably drop Moment Of Surrender (and I think that would be a wise move).

I'm afraid they probably won't drop Moment of Surrender. And I think the running order will still follow the same rough pattern as 360 gigs, but not perfectly track-by-track, e.g. something like Vertigo, it's back there next to COBL because of the staging. At Glastonbury, it doesn't have to be there, so I think it's a pretty good chance it could be one of the opening punches, where it works best (and they probably know that).

Bad, surely. SURELY.

hahahaha YES! Get in :lol: very happy for you after seeing your excitement turn to huge disappointment before! see you there :wink:

oh and guys putting up potential setlists earlier, there appears to be some kind of mistake....there's no Zooropa :reject:

Mmmm... Zooropa is a tricky one. As much as we may love it, do we really think they should sacrifice a song-slot on a song 90-95% of the audience won't know?? The atmosphere and engagement levels need to be kept really high. Of course I'd love to see it happen, who wouldn't? :wink:

Btw, just realised I missed off Miss Sarajevo from my setlist. I can strongly see them playing that as well.

yeahhhhh i know :( but if they kept playing Zooropa in the US then left it off just at glastonbury but left Moment Of Surrender in i'd be verrrry pissed off haha but you're right it's not exactly the best known track but the second half is a proper kick, so I'm praying to god a) it's left in and b) it goes down well with a festival crowd!

Fuckyeah ! I got myself a ticket :faint::loveshower::happydance :

:hyper::loveshower::yippie: So happy for you. :hug: Gonna be awesome. So glad you got through as I didn't get past that damn holding page for you. :sad:

hahahaha YES! Get in :lol : very happy for you after seeing your excitement turn to huge disappointment before! see you there :wink :

:up:

For the above 2 comments. I'd love either Zooropa or Miss Sarajevo. I agree alot might not know Zooropa though or even MS except us die hards though so if they played either I would be so happy. I guess a lot depends on if they keep Zooropa playing a bit over next few weeks. Lol!

I will be happy with whatever they play as longs as they play there best as its U@ @ GLASTO. :hyper::love::drool::faint:

Zooropa, I dunno. If they go there with the pound out the greatest hits attitude, then I guess not (there's only so many setlist spots available, and it *might* be a few songs short of a 360 gig.) But if this whole homage to ZooTV/Popmart thing is more than just a bit of inspiration for the staging, then I could see it opening a mini Zoo/Pop run of songs. Or even, IF that's the over-riding inspiration for the whole set, it could even be a curveball opener? We have been saying for ages that if U2 are going to pull anything weird out for Glastonbury, it's never going to be a complete surprise, it will appear on 360 too. And this and the Even Better remix did pop up right when Adam said they were going to go all Zoo at Glastonbury. So... you never know.

Miss Sarajevo, I don't think they should do it. I adore the song, but live, it really is four minutes of ho-hum just so Bono can belt that one part. Limited spots, and there are better/more well known songs. They could make it better/interesting if... don't shoot me... he did it as a duet with Chris Martin. Martin on piano, and think about his voice, it actually would work really well alongside Bono's on that song. Or to put it another way, if they're ever going to do something with him, I can't think of any other song that would work quite as well.

hahahaha YES! Get in :lol: very happy for you after seeing your excitement turn to huge disappointment before! see you there :wink:

I thought it was a lost case too! Really, I'm so thankfull. Especcially to Jem.

hyper.gif
:loveshower:
yippie2.gif
So happy for you.
hug.gif
Gonna be awesome. So glad you got through as I didn't get past that damn holding page for you. :sad:

:up:

For the above 2 comments. I'd love either Zooropa or Miss Sarajevo. I agree alot might not know Zooropa though or even MS except us die hards though so if they played either I would be so happy. I guess a lot depends on if they keep Zooropa playing a bit over next few weeks. Lol!

I will be happy with whatever they play as longs as they play there best as its U@ @ GLASTO.
hyper.gif
:love::drool:
faint.gif

I actually think that among the younger festival crowd, MS isn't really that known. So I would love to have them play the Zooropa in that spot, its such a brilliant piece of music. If they added the string sections that where in the original song to their backing tape, it would blow minds.

Plus I hate to say it , but Bono recently hasn't been able to hit the big note completely in Mexico.

I'd put money on that Denver setlist being what we see at Glastonbury (plus I Still Haven't Found and WLCTT). If so, no complaints here! :up:

drop MoS to make room for ISHFWILF and WLCTTm slot in 'Glastonbury' and that'd be a fucking great set!

It's a great setlist - about as good as you could maybe realistically expect (although one or both of New Years Day and Still Haven't Found would be in there, surely) - but I do think it still falls several spots short of the best they could do at Glastonbury. No-one would go away from that set disappointed, quite the opposite, but the very best they could do for that event/crowd/moment certainly does not include stuff like Magnificent and Walk On.

I mean, that setlist with Magnificent and Walk On is one thing, and definitely is them still knocking it out of the park. But no-one knows/cares for/loves either of those. Instead... take that setlist and sub Magnificent for The Fly, and Walk On for Bad, and good lord.

But they won't do that.

And yeah, no MOS to close.

And I do think that it's both more likely that Bono/Edge will appear with BB King over BB King appearing with U2 (by that stage of the gig it would be coming up on 11pm or something. The dude is 85 or something crazy. He's certainly not camping there, I'd think he'll be safely asleep in a hotel in Bristol or London or something by then) but also better if it is that way around. That way we can get When Love Comes to Town and maybe Angel of Harlem, but they don't take away from spots on the U2 set. Win/Win. Plus the earlier appearance of Bono/Edge and a couple of well loved U2 tracks will only whip the crowd even more for U2's set.

They'll never change MoS as closer. Only thing I might see happening is either Bad or AIWIY taking that spot. But Why would they change it if they have been playing MoS the whole tour. They are obviously satisfied with it.
I love MoS but something different would be nice. Something special for the occasion, but again. Don't see it happening. If they kick yet another NLOTH song it would be shameful.

It's not a 360 gig, and not a No Line gig (and 360 hasn't been that for ages anyway.) It's not even a U2 gig, in a way. It's a very, very different thing. It lives outside of wherever U2 are 'at' at the moment. I don't think anything about 360 automatically has to be glued in for Glastonbury for any reason, except for the fact that this is U2 and they're like an oil tanker - takes them 10 miles to even begin to change direction.

So given that, I do actually expect them to finish with MOS, and I do think it will essentially be a 360 set. But there's no reason why it has to be, and both the band and people around them (Paul McG, Willie Williams) have said a number of times that the Glastonbury set will be very different to the 360 set (although the 360 set itself has evolved a lot since then.) And in all their other comments and hints and suggestions, they do seem to *get* what it's all about. I mean, they were going to open with Streets last year.

So it still might be something a bit different. Just a little bit. Slightly different running order, slightly different criteria for song selection. And as part of that, they might well understand or *get* that it's okay to close a U2 gig loaded with U2 fans with what can only be described as an obscure (to the casual fan/wider public) and moody song, but for something like this, you absolutely do not want to end on a moody whimper, but instead something that has everyone there howling along with you, and leave on a bang. So finish on MoS? Probably. I wouldn't bet even £1 against it. But it doesn't have to be a lock just because it's been the closer for every 360 gig.

I can't believe that the band would be daft enough to miss the opportunity of 100,000 people singing "How long to sing this song" to end their set, whether its tagged onto Bad or as a standalone. It's been synomanus with U2 down the years arguably more in the UK/Europe than the US. Might not be an explosive finale but it sure would go down as a memorable one.

I can't believe that the band would be daft enough to miss the opportunity of 100,000 people singing "How long to sing this song" to end their set, whether its tagged onto Bad or as a standalone. It's been synomanus with U2 down the years arguably more in the UK/Europe than the US. Might not be an explosive finale but it sure would go down as a memorable one.

Would the 10-20% of those in attendance that would know to repeat that phrase be enough to carry the singalong?

So are any of you guys going to try and get a spot up front-ish?

Would the 10-20% of those in attendance that would know to repeat that phrase be enough to carry the singalong?

Don't under estimate the musical knowledge of the Glastonbury crowd! Anyhow 10-20,000 people singing the same thing would soon become 30k, 40k..........

So are any of you guys going to try and get a spot up front-ish?

I think for front-ish you'd have to be there very early and you'll have to stick with it all day. So no pissing. Which means no drinking. So... fuck that, basically.

I don't care for front-ish anyway, just close-ish. And normally I would say it's a waste of a great day at a fucking amazing festival to just 'camp' it at the main stage, plus it's just a really, really shitty thing to do at a festival, when you've got a dozen other acts, with a dozen other hardcore fanbases who would love to be up the front for those acts just as much as you want to be up the front for U2.

But, the Pyramid Stage lineup is really strong and up my alley for most of the day. There's only really one dead spot/potential clash, and that's Biffy Clyro as the dead spot, and whoever the secret guest is up on the Park Stage as the possible clash.

I think I'll just play it by ear/crowd size. Definitely want to see Wu Tang Clan and BB King, but I really hate Biffy Clyro, so if it's all looking manageable then, I'll probably duck over to Fleet Foxes and come back for Morrissey (Park Stage pending.) I don't think there'll be any issues with being in the front third of the crowd (fine by me) but yeah, right up the front? That will be really tough, and possibly really not the smartest thing to try and do.

Posted by the moderator on EFestivals website

We've had word from one of our more reliable (tho not infallible) sources that Bono is going to do a secret show somewhere at Glastonbury this year.

Along with that nugget of info - which might be wrong don't forget - we've been given an idea of where it might happen, but that's something I'm not going to post as that would just about be a guaranteed way of ensuring that it didn't happen.

If it happens and you're lucky enough to see it, enjoy.

ooooh very interesting :)

---

as for getting to the front, like I've said before this is the only time I'll ever try but i'm going to try and get up front in the morning, love most of the bands that are on all day so won't feel too guilty sticking at the rail if I manage to get a place. its the people that get to the front first thing in the morning and just act indifferently to the rest of the days acts that really get on my nerves.

but yeah the secret set at the park stage is the deal breaker for me too. fucking hate biffy clyro so if it's someone GREAT i'll happily skip rail and just try to get close later on. front row isn't everything :)

Posted by the moderator on EFestivals website

We've had word from one of our more reliable (tho not infallible) sources that Bono is going to do a secret show somewhere at Glastonbury this year.

oh god... he is a brave brave man :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom