June 24, 2011 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did see that. Amazing value. I might pick some up, but I'm not sure about taking loads of it? Once it's warm... awful. I have already taken advantage of Tesco's 2 for £22 spirits deals though.

haha true, if it's a REALLY hot year it could get a bit bad. i won't be taking ALL of it though make no mistake.
but i finished off a bottle of famous grouse while watching Quantic last year during the non-stop heatwave and was pretty surprised to find keeping it wrapped up in the tent it hadn't gone warm at all, so will just try and store the cans in my tent the same way this year. who knows maybe it'll rain all weekend and keep us all pretty cool...hope not. :reject:

and yeah good deal with the spirits there!

I did see that. Amazing value. I might pick some up, but I'm not sure about taking loads of it? Once it's warm... awful. I have already taken advantage of Tesco's 2 for £22 spirits deals though.

Oooh I'm gonna go for this deal thanks. :up: Won't have a car and taking loads of cans on a coach is not practical :lol: ( Thanks for head up though Gareth :up: ) Gonna go for the spirits deal ( take a flask to keep it in and then just buy soft drinks there. Mind up will still probably cost a bit for those but better than buying a spirit an mixer there. :wink:

Tesco's after work for me tommorow now. :wink::lol:

Oooh I'm gonna go for this deal thanks. :up: Won't have a car and taking loads of cans on a coach is not practical :lol: ( Thanks for head up though Gareth :up: ) Gonna go for the spirits deal ( take a flask to keep it in and then just buy soft drinks there. Mind up will still probably cost a bit for those but better than buying a spirit an mixer there. :wink:

Pisshead!

god knows but i've just got THIS on eBay and have no intention of taking drugs if there's any chance of me looking down and catching a glimpse of it, meaning I end up in the fetal position in the middle of a field, crying at 4am convinced four coloured faces are shouting at me! I'd say I'd stick with wearing my Zooropa shirt (here's an example) but that'd probably be even worse!!!

What is the drug of choice at Glastonbury?

It seems to be "everything". Seriously. I'd say a large majority % of the festival treat it as a monster five day bender, with sleep being basically a waste of precious time (and it's a 24hr festival - there's always somewhere you can go for a drink and dance.) And pretty much every drug you can imagine is very, very, very much available on site. The police have a bit of an... 'informal' attitude as well.

The amazing thing is, I mean you see some pretty messed up people at 5am crawling around some of the clubs there, but despite the fact that the alcohol consumption and drug use there is beyond anything I've ever witnessed before, you never see any agro, ever, and issues/problems at the site are actually incredibly low (health-wise and whatnot.)

Given that the 'population' of the festival peaks at around 220,000, and it would be reasonable to say that on any given night, at least 1/4 of those have had drugs, and at least 3/4 are drunk, and that they've all been at that for days - how overwhelmingly friendly and calm and safe the place is, is absolutely remarkable.

Mind up will still probably cost a bit for those but better than buying a spirit an mixer there. :wink:

I don't have anything to compare it to in the UK, because this is the only UK festival I've been to, but compared to Australian festivals, the Glastonbury on-site costs for food/drinks/supplies are unbelievably good. Totally reasonable, not even comparable. The mark-ups at Australian festivals are huge in comparison. You're probably only paying about 10-20% more at Glastonbury for most things. At an Australian festival, you'd think 50% was a real steal you've stumbled across.

And that Tesco's deal does end today.

Pyramid's food was reasonably priced (and shit did the chicken nuggets and chips go down like heaven for 3 days) but the drinks were both bad in quality and price. Good thing our grog didn't get discovered.

You pay about £4 a pint at the festival - that's probably about 30-40p more than the average at my local London pub. That's pretty damn good.

And of course, you're allowed to bring in all the booze you want.

article-1029460-01BCDAFB00000578-643_468x670.jpg

It seems to be "everything". Seriously. I'd say a large majority % of the festival treat it as a monster five day bender, with sleep being basically a waste of precious time (and it's a 24hr festival - there's always somewhere you can go for a drink and dance.) And pretty much every drug you can imagine is very, very, very much available on site. The police have a bit of an... 'informal' attitude as well.

The amazing thing is, I mean you see some pretty messed up people at 5am crawling around some of the clubs there, but despite the fact that the alcohol consumption and drug use there is beyond anything I've ever witnessed before, you never see any agro, ever, and issues/problems at the site are actually incredibly low (health-wise and whatnot.)

Given that the 'population' of the festival peaks at around 220,000, and it would be reasonable to say that on any given night, at least 1/4 of those have had drugs, and at least 3/4 are drunk, and that they've all been at that for days - how overwhelmingly friendly and calm and safe the place is, is absolutely remarkable.

Now I'm intrigued , coming from Holland I've pretty much seen everything.
But at every festival people who are high/stoned/pissed or anything else in between, are indeed friendly and not bothering you when you don't want to. I'm travelling alone to festivals most of the time, and you'll find very friends in most of your neighbours. :up:
I've never seen any agro/rudeness on a festival ever.
Especially on the really big one's like Sziget and Rock Werchter, and I really hope Glasto is going to be the same.

Earnie Shavers said:

Didn't see this earlier. This is amazing. You're the best. I'm going to Glastonbury.

Earnie ,How bad are the security checks when you enter the field... If fields and camping are separate at least?
I look like a 14 year old so usually no one really checks me.:lol:
And I want to know my chances of sneaking in my SLR :hmm:
They never check my bag , and if they check my bag they just take a peek in it.
I've been to several festivals U2 concerts and more... where security is pretty tight
But I just act like I have nothing to hide and open my pack way in front of the sec. guard, then smile if its a guy... And it always helps :cute: )

I took my SLR last year, no problems at all. Not gonna bother this year though, too much hassle taking it around and then remembering to drop it off/pick it up from those 24-hr security tents.

You can take an SLR. You're a bit mad to, just because I wouldn't take anything worth so much, but there are absolutely no restrictions on cameras or anything. Pretty much the only things you can't take into Glastonbury are glass bottles (it's a working dairy farm for the rest of the year) and pets. Anything and everything else is cool. Security searches at the front gates are a bit haphazard. It would take too long. You have a couple of hundred thousand people turning up, and people bring in loads and loads of gear. They do the odd random check, but 99% of people will just get hustled through with no hassle.

And there's absolutely no separate security when entering 'the field', if you mean the Pyramid Stage field, which I presume you do.

But the front thousand or two at the Pyramid Stage are within a separate barricade for safety. Once that is full, you won't want to leave because you almost certainly won't get back in. They close it off. That's what I'm talking about in regards to wanting to be right up the front and camping there all day to do so and pissing and whatnot. I think the U2-mad will have that section full from mid afternoon, so if you're going in, be prepared to not be able to get out again till after U2.

(So when you're in there, just have shots of straight spirits - no pissing.)

so its like before concert...ease yourself first and keep ur mouth wet, but don't drink to much :D

I just read that some cinemas in the US are showing the Coldplay set on June 25. Does anyone know if anything like this is happening for U2? or not? :ohmy:

Pisshead!

Pot. Kettle. Black. Athens. :p

:wink:

Domo let me know which spirit you want and I will get a bottle for me and one for you if you want. :shifty:

Send me a message on FB.

I don't have anything to compare it to in the UK, because this is the only UK festival I've been to, but compared to Australian festivals, the Glastonbury on-site costs for food/drinks/supplies are unbelievably good. Totally reasonable, not even comparable. The mark-ups at Australian festivals are huge in comparison. You're probably only paying about 10-20% more at Glastonbury for most things. At an Australian festival, you'd think 50% was a real steal you've stumbled across.

And that Tesco's deal does end today.

Thanks for that. :) Am curious how much a soft drink ( No Kev I'm not drinking all weekend :p ) and food costs?

Now I'm intrigued , coming from Holland I've pretty much seen everything.
But at every festival people who are high/stoned/pissed or anything else in between, are indeed friendly and not bothering you when you don't want to. I'm travelling alone to festivals most of the time, and you'll find very friends in most of your neighbours. :up :
I've never seen any agro/rudeness on a festival ever.
Especially on the really big one's like Sziget and Rock Werchter, and I really hope Glasto is going to be the same.

I have a feeling we're gonna see some crazy sights. :lol: I think like you said most people should be friendly. Glasto is meant to be one of the more friendly Uk festivals.

Earnie ,How bad are the security checks when you enter the field... If fields and camping are separate at least?
I look like a 14 year old so usually no one really checks me.:lol :
And I want to know my chances of sneaking in my SLR :hmm :
They never check my bag , and if they check my bag they just take a peek in it.
I've been to several festivals U2 concerts and more... where security is pretty tight
But I just act like I have nothing to hide and open my pack way in front of the sec. guard, then smile if its a guy... And it always helps :cute : )

Your pics will be fantastic. :drool: Could you sort my camera settings for me for U2 please? :hug:

so its like before concert...ease yourself first and keep ur mouth wet, but don't drink to much :D

:lol::up:

MrNathan15 - I haven't heard anything about U2 being shown. Maybe ring up a cinema in your area who are showing the Coldplay portion and ask if they have plans to show U2. I imagine it depends on broadcasting rights or something.

Coldplay are in the build up to a new album - release dates and whatnot might well be announced between now and Glastonbury? New songs might be played there? Not sure. But they're definitely in promotion, promotion, promotion mode, and I'd say this cinema deal is purely just part of that.

I'm just hoping U2 are letting the BBC show their full set, so it's all available later.

And I've bought enough vodka to supply a small naval fleet.

Thanks for that. :) Am curious how much a soft drink ( No Kev I'm not drinking all weekend :p ) and food costs?

I can't remember exactly how much, certainly more expensive than a supermarket, but it's not a complete rip off or anything. Definitely when versus carrying a few extra litres/kgs all the way there, it's better to buy on site (and nice and cold.)

Food - it depends. Good food - and the food there is mostly very good quality, good portion sizes etc - would be £5-£7 a meal (and by 'meal' I mean meal, while something like just a sandwich or hot chips or whatever will be less.) And if you're stuck, there's a Hari Krishna tent there that does good, hearty vegetarian meals for whatever you want to/can donate. It is smart though to at least take a lot of light, snack type stuff, and a lot of people take gear/food for cooking up at their tents, if you can be bothered, or are on a strict budget.

I took my SLR last year, no problems at all. Not gonna bother this year though, too much hassle taking it around and then remembering to drop it off/pick it up from those 24-hr security tents.

Ohmygod I'd never leave my camera in one of those.
Its inseparable from myself. :shifty: But, thanks awesome,
I'm used to taking it and it doesn't bother me at all.

You can take an SLR. You're a bit mad to, just because I wouldn't take anything worth so much, but there are absolutely no restrictions on cameras or anything. Pretty much the only things you can't take into Glastonbury are glass bottles (it's a working dairy farm for the rest of the year) and pets. Anything and everything else is cool. Security searches at the front gates are a bit haphazard. It would take too long. You have a couple of hundred thousand people turning up, and people bring in loads and loads of gear. They do the odd random check, but 99% of people will just get hustled through with no hassle.

And there's absolutely no separate security when entering 'the field', if you mean the Pyramid Stage field, which I presume you do.

But the front thousand or two at the Pyramid Stage are within a separate barricade for safety. Once that is full, you won't want to leave because you almost certainly won't get back in. They close it off. That's what I'm talking about in regards to wanting to be right up the front and camping there all day to do so and pissing and whatnot. I think the U2-mad will have that section full from mid afternoon, so if you're going in, be prepared to not be able to get out again till after U2.

(So when you're in there, just have shots of straight spirits - no pissing.)

Pessimist :wink: I guard my camera with my life.

So pretty much like any other festival... Only SLR's are allowed :lmao:
Thats fecking brilliant. And yes call me nuts , but I'm not going to miss a chance to finally shoot U2 with my SLR , that easy:hyper:
I'm addicted to photograhpy, so go figure.
Thanks Mike and Earnie for responding, this actually made my day.

About the pissing, fortunately my blatter is not leaky yet so I think I can manage.. Or...
Lets just hope its that U2's ... Setlist is so hot you just sweat it out

Domo let me know which spirit you want and I will get a bottle for me and one for you if you want. :shifty:

Send me a message on FB.

I have a feeling we're gonna see some crazy sights. :lol: I think like you said most people should be friendly. Glasto is meant to be one of the more friendly Uk festivals.

Your pics will be fantastic. :drool: Could you sort my camera settings for me for U2 please?
hug.gif

:shifty: Sounds good, I can't get stuff trough the airport, unless I buy it there and that's just too painful for my bank account.

And as for camera settings , I'll do my best, I think you have to switch them halfway trough again since a part might be in daylight.
I'll fix you up.
You have a Lumix Tz-10 right? I think, I did so many camera's in Brussels I don't even remember, which one was Wilds, GG's or yours. I think I might have done Pams camera as well.

Exited, so great that I can take my slr!:hyper: Finally.AAAAAH.
So far my promise to myself only to take pics during One and Wowy *yawn* or... *shivers* IALW

Yeh but the artist can put a block on any broadcasting. Like Blur who stipulated only a certain amount of their set to be shown. I have a feeling U2 won't be so daft and will want all of it shown. Either way, I'll be making sure my parents set the DVD to record. :hyper:

MikeyJB said:
Yeh but the artist can put a block on any broadcasting. Like Blur who stipulated only a certain amount of their set to be shown. I have a feeling U2 won't be so daft and will want all of it shown. Either way, I'll be making sure my parents set the DVD to record. :hyper:

Very true but this is a band that cuts a whole show opener from their dvd

God , thanks for reminding me again why I hate the rose bowl DVD.
I have allot more reasons as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom