June 23, 2010 - Edmonton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^HAHA that's sweet!!! I don't wanna wear my U2 shirt it's going to be cooking hot i have a feeling and I'm going to be running though peoples legs and jumping over people so a tshirt not the best thing for me hahaha. I'm thinking tank top and short shorts!!!!

Edgefest: I live in Red Deer so I'm probably going Tuesday afternoon/night maybe like dinner or something that night then maybe we should bar it up after the show, make a meeting spot and just meet up. I plan on not sleeping that night :wink: Tequila!!

Has anyone here ever used the Edmonton light rail?

I'll have to take the light rail from Corona
transparent.png
‎ in Downtown to the stadium.

Where and how do I get LRT tickets? And could I use a credit card to purchase them?

Are the trains usually crowded?

Someone in this thread recommened taking it to get to the venue. I would assume there are tickets. Maybe the website says... I think i'm taking the one from Corona too. Just wear a u2 shirt! lol

edit: cash or tickets it seems.

Hey guys. I live in Edmonton and will be attending the show too. To use the LRT, when you walk into the LRT station there will be big blue fare boxes that'll allow you to purchase tickets. For 1 adult ticket it will cost you $2.75 CDN. When you take the LRT from Corona station you will want to head north to Stadium station via the train heading to Clareview. There are system maps everywhere plus audio and visual notifications in the stations and on the trains that will also be there to guide ya in case ya get lost. Hope that helps. Cheers!

Also the fare boxes only take cash or coins. So you'll be out of luck with the credit card or debit card. However most stations have an ATM machine around that you can use for debit and credit card if you need cash

I'm staying at the Days Inn Downtown Edmonton on 106th St., just south of Jasper Ave.

I'm thinking that I should use the SkyShuttle to get to and from the EIA in Leduc.

http://www.edmontonskyshuttle.com/

Would that be the best option?

You will actually be fairly close to a Scotiabank branch which is on 107st and Jasper Avenue. That branch is also right beside the Corona LRT station which you can use to take to commonwealth stadium where the concert is. As for sky shuttle, that would probably be your best bet.

Hey guys. I live in Edmonton and will be attending the show too. To use the LRT, when you walk into the LRT station there will be big blue fare boxes that'll allow you to purchase tickets. For 1 adult ticket it will cost you $2.75 CDN. When you take the LRT from Corona station you will want to head north to Stadium station via the train heading to Clareview. There are system maps everywhere plus audio and visual notifications in the stations and on the trains that will also be there to guide ya in case ya get lost. Hope that helps. Cheers!

Also the fare boxes only take cash or coins. So you'll be out of luck with the credit card or debit card. However most stations have an ATM machine around that you can use for debit and credit card if you need cash

Do these fare boxes also give you day passes?

I plan on getting a day pass right when I check into the Days Inn (early afternoon, that is), and then use it later when I take the LRT to the stadium. I don't want to hassle with all the crowds when it gets closer to concert time.

I plan on getting a day pass right when I check into the Days Inn (early afternoon, that is), and then use it later when I take the LRT to the stadium. I don't want to hassle with all the crowds when it gets closer to concert time.

I do believe you can buy day passes. The fare boxes are completely computerized with a menu and what not. Next time I use one I'll double check and look for you. But if they do they'll likely cost around $10-$15 anyways and depending on how much you plan on using it, it may be better to just pay a regular fare every time you use the LRT.

You'll be able to hit a Scotiabank ATM for Cdn money - after all, you'll be in Canada *g* Just like hitting an ATM in the States, only the money's a different colour ;)

Easy guide to Cdn banks - Scotiabank has red and white signs. Royal Bank blue. TD/Canada Trust green. Bank of Montreal blue and white.

HOLY CRAP!!! It just dawned on me today that thsi show is just over 7 weeks away!! :hyper:

I saw over at @u2 the idea of wearing RED and WHITE shirts has come up along with the RED and WHITE balloons. I thnk that's awesome. edmontonhj did you say you had a contact with at Sonic to help promote this colour theme or no?

Either way bring your balloons!!!

I have 1000 red and 1000 white balloons and I orderd 1200(600 of each) more today so I'll hand out a ton to whoever is aroudn me haha. Just bring ballons.

C'mon! This is less then 7 weeks away. we need some input. What song do we wanna let the ballons loose durring? I suggest over at @U2 that we do it durring the intro of Streets or as the band takes the stage. There's pros and cons to both so....

is anyone else bringing balloons or is everyone just saying "their in". You can find bargain ballon websites and order packs of 100 for $5

C'mon! This is less then 7 weeks away. we need some input. What song do we wanna let the ballons loose durring? I suggest over at @U2 that we do it durring the intro of Streets or as the band takes the stage. There's pros and cons to both so....

is anyone else bringing balloons or is everyone just saying "their in". You can find bargain ballon websites and order packs of 100 for $5

Oh hi, it is me. We are having the same conversation on three websites, glad we are a good team. LOL!

Yes, Streets...does that sound like a good idea to everybody?
I am totally in, I have bought some balloons, but not 100 for $5...I will have to look that up.
We will have to spread the message word of mouth to other fans. I can help with that and hand out balloons to other people.

We have booked O'Byrne's for Monday June 21 to have a fan gathering.
Obyrne's Irish Pub Edmonton
10616-82Ave

I will be there around dinner time I guess. When is everybody else rolling in?

Hi HBK,

Yes the fare boxes will sell you a day pass for $8.25 at any station.

Can I suggest that you can purchase one on-line before you get here if you like, there is an online store where you can buy in advance. You can also buy a day pass from any Mac's convenience Store or 7-11.
Here is the link to the online store for ETS:

City of Edmonton :: Buy Transit Online

Regarding this balloon idea....do you expect security to let you bring in all these balloons? Or are we expected to blow them up inside the venue!? lol this seems slightly suspect...

Regarding this balloon idea....do you expect security to let you bring in all these balloons? Or are we expected to blow them up inside the venue!? lol this seems slightly suspect...

If I had my way we would roll the helium tanks right into GA....

LOL!

Kidding.
Nope we will just keep them deflated and blow them up inside.

A suggestion from @u2 forum:

Just blow them up at the beginining of the show:
"My vote is for when they take the stage... I don't want to hang on to it until Streets"

What do you think?

10616-82Ave

Sorry, I can't make it.:reject: I'm flying into Edmonton on the day of the show. I have a single seat. I probably won't be able to do any sightseeing downtown, either.:(

But thanks a lot for the details on Edmonton's light rail.:)

I simply cannot wait until my first trip to Canada in 15 years!:hyper:

10616-82Ave

Monday? Alas, I won't be landing in Edmonton until about 9:30pm or so on the Tuesday night - the only problem with having the gathering two nights before the show is a lot of the out of towners won't be able to attend :( Oh well, I hope the ones who can go have fun!

I vote we organize this balloon thing to happen durring Where the Streets Have No Name. the "Love Love Love" part at the end would be perfect. Gives people lots of time to realize Streets is playing and they can blow up their balloons and hang on to them for a few minutes then "RELEASE THE HOUNDS" at that right moment and it'll look amazing.

I think if we do it at the begining it'l be good but it won't be all at once. People will blow them up durring The Fray and after the Fray and balloons will be going all over the place. I agree with briscoetheque( from atu2) if we're very clear on what's to happen I think people will follow along. They did when we did the THANK YOU signs in Portland in December 2005. All the signs went up durring the opening chords to Elevation so I think people will pay attention and do it properly.

Also people wear red shirts or white. But the theme is red for sure and white sprinkled in will be awesome.
28213_10150181930725397_761060396_12158064_1114465_n.jpg

Last edited:
(Red)monton in Edgemonton: June 23rd Sea of RED & WHITE

Ok everybody here's the deal. On June 23rd in Edmonton we want everyone to be wearing Red and or White. The colours represent not only Canada but the ONE campaign as well as the product (RED) campaign. Not only do we want you to wear red and white but we'd love it if you could bring red and white balloons as well. The plan is to blow them up durring the opening "chimes" of Where the Streets Have No Name. We'd ask everyone to hold onto the balloons untill the climax of the song where the lights explode and Bono sings the lyrics "LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!" at which point we hope everyone will throw their balloons all over the place.

We would appreciate as much help as possible in making this a success. If anybody has any connections with the media or at Commonwealth Stadium, or a balloon supplier :lol: let us know. The more help in spreading the word the better. If you're from outta town and plan on being at this show by all means jump onboard this. Calgarians if you have connections with the media in your city let us know. Red Deer same thing. Out of Province? No problem every little bit helps.

We will have a Twitter account up in a few days as well as a facebook page so I'll post the links to those once they are ready.

A balloon count would also be great so keep us in the loop on how many you plan on bringing by posting it in this thread. As far as I know, so far we have:

RED - 1600
WHITE - 1600
Total - 3200

Thanks everyone! I'm excited :happydance:

*Mods if you feel this needs to be merged with the Edmonton thread so be it. I just wanted to drum up support for this event within the event and get everyone's attention. Would love to keep this seperate if possible.

28213_10150182902430397_761060396_12175781_3931002_n.jpg

Well i'm in then. I'll be in the nosebleeds though....so hopefully my balloon doesn't catch a gust and get blown out the venue. lol

Well i'm in then. I'll be in the nosebleeds though....so hopefully my balloon doesn't catch a gust and get blown out the venue. lol

:lol: tie it to a string

to anyone who's planning on buying balloons for this event here's one thing I would suggest. When buying balloons try and get 12" balloons. I got 9" and they're good enough but a tad on the small size so.... if you want ones that'll float around a bit better go with 12". Anything smaller than 9" might be too small but if that's all ya got BRING THEM!!!

That is awesome. LOL!

Oh yes and Paddy just called from O'Byrnes. He was awesome and dare I say it, a bigger U2 fan than I am. They have a huge party planned on the night of the 23rd for U2 fans!! I would love to know how many of you would like to attend this (not so good if you are GA):

O'Byrnes will sell tickets (he wasn't sure how much yet, but I will follow up) and you would get:

-t-shirt
-pre-concert entertainment and party
-ride on a bus to and from commonwealth
-drink specials
U2 jamioke (live band karaoke)

They are installing a giant screen for the world cup and he said if we can get him the videos (he has lots) he will play U2 videos for us on the Monday night May 21 gathering for GA ticket holders.

This is going to rock.
when I know more I will post it in the fan gathering threads, but I thought I would post here about the night of the concert event they are planning.

Here are the links again:

Facebook: Login | Facebook
Twitter: U2 in #yeg (RedmontonU2) on Twitter

And a special thanks to Matt and Ax who are helping us get the word out at U2 gigs.com:
U2 Edmonton, 2010-06-23, Commonwealth Stadium, 360? Tour - U2 on tour

Hmmm Monday hey..... I might make the trip up alone if i don't work.
But i have GA tickets for the show so i don't know if I'll get to see any of you but look for the small 18 year old freaking out (slightly intoxicated) with blonde hair and a large chest, gonna try and get on stage:wink::wink:. I'll also be the first one in line for GA!!!
I'd love to go to the pub after the show on the 23rd but I'll be on the floor and i might not be driving lol but the Monday for sure i will be there if i don't work!!!

Hmmm Monday hey..... I might make the trip up alone if i don't work.
But i have GA tickets for the show so i don't know if I'll get to see any of you but look for the small 18 year old freaking out (slightly intoxicated) with blonde hair and a large chest, gonna try and get on stage:wink::wink:. I'll also be the first one in line for GA!!!
I'd love to go to the pub after the show on the 23rd but I'll be on the floor and i might not be driving lol but the Monday for sure i will be there if i don't work!!!

Sounds great!

Oh and I think you will see most of us in GA, I will meet you there!
Will you be wearing red and white and bring red and white balloons too?

--------------------------------------------------------------
June 23rd, 2010 we are asking U2 concert goers to wear a red or
white shirt in support of the Makepovertyhistory / One campaign
(WHITE) or Product (RED). These colours also symbolize a massive
display of unity to show our Canadian Pride. Please bring Red and
White Balloons to celebrate when the U2 first take the stage!
http://twitter.com/redmontonU2

I'll probably just wear a white tank top and white shorts. No balloons for me, sorry I hate them!

That sounds great. You hate balloons? God are we making this into a nightmare for you then? :crack:

Sorry about that. We'll get it over with so you can be balloon free after the first song.

I am going to wear my Red and White Vertigo t-shirt. There may be a feather boa in there too...

Oddly enough all my one gear is black and white, but I am going to have my hoodie with me for later when it cools off after the gig. Now I wish I had bought the white hoodie..but I would have that thing full of dirt cause white is not my best buddy. I have ruined more pairs of white jeans...I have a no white pants policy. White pants are like magnets for fruit juice or any coloured booze. :wink:

I'll probably just wear a white tank top and white shorts. No balloons for me, sorry I hate them!

haha. You hate balloons? There will likely be close to 5000 balloons on the floor. You might, might grow to love them. Maybe? :lol:

anyways we've decided to do this at the opening of the show instead. Just make sit easier for everyone I suppose.

also for anybody who's interested in buying your balloons in bulk here's a great site
Bargain Balloons - 12 Inch Latex Mylar Balloons and Foil Balloons

I've orderd from this site. It's cheap, they come in packs of 100. Packs of 9" balloons are about $6 while packs of 12"(optimal size) range from $7.50-$8.50. They will delivery them within a week(I know I've done it twice). At the moment they are sold out of the red and white 9" & 12" but that's happend before. They will restock them fast cause red and white are the most popular colours and it's wedding season so keep an eye on this site if you're interested in bringing balloons.

here's something I've been thinking about for the GA policy for a long time. Would it not make sense to do it this way:

When I was in New York they started it in such a great way. They had a list of people starting from 1 all the way up to a thousand or whatever. Each person got a number and once 100 people showed up they roped off a section for them. The next group was 200's and then that section got roped off, then 300's and 400's and so on. It was great. Where they failed in my opinion is the seciurity abondoned this system an hour before the doors opend and they hurded us all like cattle at which point the jostling for position began. I was #112 and it made me sick to see #763 standing next to me as we were about to go in. Another terrible thing they did was seperate the men and women into two seperate lines. Imagien being there with your girlfriend or boyfriend of just friend and after 9 hours in line they seperate you only to create a scenario where once inside you gotta find your freinds amongst a crowd of a thousand people. Ridiculous.

So here's something I would suggest. Why not keep these sections roped off as we go in. When the doors open simply allow all the 100's to go in first. Once they've gone in wait 1 minute to give them some space then allow the 200's to go in and so on and so on. I mean there's no rush if they do it this way and everyone can just stay relaxed. No need to seperate mena nd women. Sadly I don't believe security would ever go for this as it makes too much sense but I honestly feel this would be the very best way to do it. No pushing, no shoving, no panic that the #800 is gonna pass #150 and get in first. It just makes so much sens ein my opinion. Stagger it so we don't all go in at once. We all get to go in in the same order but this way it's much more relaxed and calm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom