June 20, 2010 - Seattle Qwest Field

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't really know anyone there so we will have to get a hotel. I am going to start looking into rooms right now.

It looks like the Silver Cloud is popular on here so I will check that one out. :wave:

Nice you are coming out for this one! I've been casually browsing hotels as well.

the silver cloud is expensive :( :down:

i looked at a best western which is about a half mile away and that was kinda pricey too

i just hope alicia's couch is extra comfy :D

-dan

I looked at the Silver Cloud too, not exactly what I was looking for in my budget for this potential pilgrimage from Anaheim to Oakland to Seattle.

I've been trying to look at hotels in Pioneer Square, that Best Western looks nice. Lowest price I think I've found is $134. I'll have to keep looking this week, but I want to book soon, no doubt the prices will be getting jacked up, I am sure they have already started.

Oh, if Dan has couch, how bout tub cori? I can bring a sleeping bag?

i'm on the best western page right now and the cheapest rate (internet only rate) is 142.49 for 2 single beds...probably about the size of our supply closet at work

a 2-queens room at silver cloud is $299 total

-dan

Nice you are coming out for this one! I've been casually browsing hotels as well.

I looked at the Silver Cloud too, not exactly what I was looking for in my budget for this potential pilgrimage from Anaheim to Oakland to Seattle.

I've been trying to look at hotels in Pioneer Square, that Best Western looks nice. Lowest price I think I've found is $134. I'll have to keep looking this week, but I want to book soon, no doubt the prices will be getting jacked up, I am sure they have already started.

It will be good to hang out with you and get to know you better! :)

Me, too, as far as budget for rooms. We have some great sleeping bags, too! :D

i'm on the best western page right now and the cheapest rate (internet only rate) is 142.49 for 2 single beds...probably about the size of our supply closet at work

a 2-queens room at silver cloud is $299 total

-dan

OUCH! :eek:

I'll definitely have to keep looking unless some of us would be willing to share rooms... :shrug: :confused:

If you guys want a lower rate start looking outside of Seattle....
If you stay just north ( Bothell) or even over on the eastside Bellevue/Redmond area you can find some lower rates. Not by much, but a tad lower. Seattle is VERY expensive unfortunately.
Also, you will have to factor drive time if you stay in the burbs, as traffic around here can be a biaaaatch during games or events. But if you leave early like I plan on doing day of the concert, it's fun to park early and run around downtown all day until gates open! If you aren't doing GA that is.

I keep envisioning my apartment as a sea of sleeping bags and pillows for two days. :lol: That would be hilarious. ... until everyone realized there was only one bathroom.

Anything in the downtown area is going to be pretty pricey. I mentioned hotels on Aurora Ave North the other day - the motels that are smaller in street numbers (closer to downtown) are really sketchy and I would avoid staying there at all costs, but further up the way are the chain hotels like Days Inn and Travelodge - my parents (and martha, on her visit last summer) stayed up that way, and it's fine. Maybe 10 minutes by car to the stadium, depending on traffic.

Anyone checking out those hotels around the Seattle Center? I know there's a Holiday Inn nearby and probably another big chain hotel.

Jeannieco is spot on about the east side (Bellevue, Redmond) - traffic over the floating bridges could get pretty hellish, so choose the east side cautiously. ;)

I keep envisioning my apartment as a sea of sleeping bags and pillows for two days. :lol: That would be hilarious. ... until everyone realized there was only one bathroom.

Anything in the downtown area is going to be pretty pricey. I mentioned hotels on Aurora Ave North the other day - the motels that are smaller in street numbers (closer to downtown) are really sketchy and I would avoid staying there at all costs, but further up the way are the chain hotels like Days Inn and Travelodge - my parents (and martha, on her visit last summer) stayed up that way, and it's fine. Maybe 10 minutes by car to the stadium, depending on traffic.

Anyone checking out those hotels around the Seattle Center? I know there's a Holiday Inn nearby and probably another big chain hotel.

Jeannieco is spot on about the east side (Bellevue, Redmond) - traffic over the floating bridges could get pretty hellish, so choose the east side cautiously. ;)

Yeah...the bathroom thing might be a problem...:hmm:

We stayed at the Mediterranean Inn during the Vertigo tour and liked it and it was just a two block walk to Key Arena. :up:

Is that area too far away for hotels from Qwest field if I am going to do GA for the show?

Anything near the Seattle Center / Key Arena is within walking distance ... if you like to take a nice, long walk. :wink: It's about a 2.5 mile walk, per Mapquest (that seems an over-estimation to me).

There are a good number of busses that run up and down 1st avenue that will get you from the Seattle Center to Qwest Field, or close enough where it's a better walk, but they don't come as often later at night.

The good news for drivers is that the day of the show is a Sunday, which means free street parking for those people who want to drive and park near the stadium early in the day to hang out in GA. The lots near the stadium will charge up the wazoo, I'm sure, but street parking will be free on Sunday.

Yeah, I knew walking would not be an option. :yikes: We are planning on driving out there. I was just wondering about the ease of getting there and all.

I didn't think about the parking on Sunday thing...that will make it easier for the GA wait, for sure. :cool:

Thanks for the info!

I was in Qwest once for a stupid concert thing like 7 years ago, and I have a feeling that the nosebleed seats might be so high up that your view could be blocked. Take a look:

QwestField.jpg

We were as far up as you could go at around the 50 yard line, and the view was horrible for that thing. For that show there was no crazy spaceship-like stage to obstruct your view. It would probably be best to do GA, or get the $250 seats.

I am going to the Seahawks Lions game this Sunday. It'll be cool to think the claw will be there in 7 months. Seems like Qwest field will seem small with the claw in there!

If there's anyone coming as a group, check out vacation rentals on Bainbridge Island. You can split between several people and it can be pretty cheap and fun! A 35 minute ferry ride in to the city puts you within a couple blocks of the stadium.

Poulsbo is also a nice place on the peninsula to stay, and a short drive to the Bainbridge Island ferry.

Thought I'd throw these ideas out there for something a little different. Also keeps you out of Seattle traffic hell.

If there's anyone coming as a group, check out vacation rentals on Bainbridge Island. You can split between several people and it can be pretty cheap and fun! A 35 minute ferry ride in to the city puts you within a couple blocks of the stadium.

Poulsbo is also a nice place on the peninsula to stay, and a short drive to the Bainbridge Island ferry.

Thought I'd throw these ideas out there for something a little different. Also keeps you out of Seattle traffic hell.

thank you. I will look at properties at the locations.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/washington/puget-sound/bainbridge-island

^Yeah, I can't decide either! I live juuust south of the border in WA, and I don't know whether it would be worth it get a hotel in Seattle for that night or not. i feel like traffic right after the show will be a nightmare, and we'll be exhausted (probably GA again for us), so that might not be a good idea. On the other hand, spending so much money on a friggen hotel room so close to home seems dumb.

Bainbridge might be nice; we could make a long weekend of it. Would it be difficult to get back there right after the concert though do you think?

Here's a link with the ferry schedule for this coming Sunday (11/8). Looks like the Bainbridge has two that run after midnight and before the 3 hour break before the morning commute. Keep in mind this schedule will probably be slightly different for June 20th.

Washington State Ferries - Schedule: Seattle (Main) to Bainbridge Island

I think this would be a blast if you can find enough people interested. I would organize it myself, but my wife can only take so much U2 related stuff. Spending a couple days with a bunch of U2 fans would probably not be her cup o'tea.

Bainbridge is a great idea!! Taking the ferry is always fun for a change! Great view of the city too!

And ya, those nosebleed seats in Qwest seem like they would be horrific for sight lines with the claw in there.

So the 250.00 seats are going to be where exactly? Is it the lower tier only? Geez....I wish it wasn't so much. GA is sounding better and better to me.

I am really leaning to GA for this show too. have always done seats, but thinking this may be the show to finally experience GA.

I think GA is a must for stadiums. The seats are too far away. Even the good ones. An arena tour is the only place I would consider seats.

I think GA is a must for stadiums. The seats are too far away. Even the good ones. An arena tour is the only place I would consider seats.

This...GA all the way for these shows, especially for the price.

I've been both close and far away and I couldn't justify paying that much for a seat and being that far away.

I've been a fan of seats in the past, but of the 4 shows I saw this past leg, I quickly learned that GA was the way to go.

Skip the GA hassle and drama, waltz in late and hang in the back to see the show. See the whole stage, room to dance, feel free to wander around without losing your spot. :up:

You're right... being able to sit, seeing the show from its entire view, and not taking the day off to wait in line is for suckers... although I realize alot of people come late and still have a great experience... But what if you are 5'0... can you have the same experience?

You couldn't pay me to GA anymore... Red Zone however...

You're point is valid though... But I would argue with seeing the last 3 shows, the tight configurations of US football Stadiums is Prime for seats... Baseball though ... it's a shame that they charge any for $250....

Skip the GA hassle and drama, waltz in late and hang in the back to see the show. See the whole stage, room to dance, feel free to wander around without losing your spot. :up:

I've always done seats in the past, but Seattle will be my first GA. This sounds like the kind of plan I'll most likely be going with. :up:

I've been a fan of seats in the past, but of the 4 shows I saw this past leg, I quickly learned that GA was the way to go.

Ok Cori...you sold me. I am doing GA! Those coming with me can just deal with it!! : hahaha!:lol: I am worried they won't want to stand the whole time..

I ever met you Thora, Jeannieco, Rosebud, Roland, and nicv, etc in person but I just know your names from here.. look forward to chatting with you for the first time...:wave:

Ok Cori...you sold me. I am doing GA! Those coming with me can just deal with it!! : hahaha!:lol: I am worried they won't want to stand the whole time..

If people have a hard time standing for long periods of time, I wouldn't recommend GA. If they don't mind sitting on the ground while they wait for the show to start, then go for it. I'm sure that seems kind of obvious. :lol:

If you get there early enough - whether that means joining the line late afternoon or planning on getting there just after they open the gates and let the line in - you can usually find a spot along one of the barriers. The soundboard area fills up first, but this fall there were usually spots along the fenced-in light tower areas, so you had a nice railing to lean against, which helped, too.

If they need to sit, there will be plenty of space against the side rails of the soundboard tower.

STAND UP TO GA'ers! :D

I ever met you Thora, Jeannieco, Rosebud, Roland, and nicv, etc in person but I just know your names from here.. look forward to chatting with you for the first time...:wave:

I'll be the nutty dad who took his 7 and 9 year old GA'ing. To make sure they're rested, I doubt we'll be on the floor until after 6:40ish. It also depends on the opener. We could end up coming in later.

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom