June 12, 2010 Invesco Field, Denver, CO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I booked our flight last week from Long Beach to Denver non-stop.

For people flying in, Hotwire has a car rental promotion going on right now. I'm paying about $25 a day for a mid-size car. With taxes and fees the total is $106 for Thursday thru Sunday morning. The rental car company is Hertz.

This is kind of funny because I originally made my reservation directly with Hertz and their "best" rate was $42 for a compact car. So that reservation was CANCELLED.

Just a little over 2 months for Anaheim & Denver!!

DENVER GATHERING 360 Mile High!

U2 DENVER GATHERING

Time to get ready for U2 360, Mile High style! I've got some basic information on things going on around town, and two very informal gatherings that will be taking place. Scruffy Murphy's has graciously agreed to be our host for the weekend, with plenty of Guinness and drink specials for everyone. We have two nights of live music lined up Thursday 10th, and Friday 11th, as well as a few surprises to be announced later on. This is not in any way formal or highly organized, but our host John would like to get a rough head count so he can order enough foodstuffs, alcohol(important!) and staff accordingly. Please drop a reply if you think you can make it Thursday, Friday or both. Have great time visiting Denver!

SCRUFFY MURPHY'S 2030 Larimer Street 6PM-whenever(or 2am closing time)
Scruffy Murphy's Irish Pub
Scruffy's is located right in the heart of LoDo(lower downtown) just a few short blocks walk from the 16th Street Mall. It is also just a few blocks from Coors Field, home of the Rockies(more on that later). With three bars, an outside beer garden, and an extensive liquid menu, Scruffy's is "your" neighborhood pub for the weekend.

Live music will be happening both Thursday and Friday nights.

Thursday, we will be entertained by SENECA, from Limerick, Ireland. This Indie rock quartet was a Meteor Award nominee this year for the Most Promising New Artist award. Seneca will be wrapping up their current US tour, with Scruffy's being one of the final dates they play before returning to Ireland.
Seneca | Official Website | New Album Sweeter Than Bourbon
SENECA on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Friday, I am very pleased to present the Rocky Mountain regions premiere Irish Rock band, THE INDULGERS. A fixture in the Denver area for over 10 years now, their unique blend of traditional Irish music, with a rocking western twist, is guaranteed to have you dancing all night. Lead singer, and Howth, Ireland native Damien McCarron might even have a story or two to tell of growing up along side a few certain other Irish lads of interest!
Irish Music in The Rockies - The Indulgers and Wild Mountain Celts

ROCKIES BASEBALL
The Colorado Rockies will be in the middle of a homestand this week, with Houston in town the 7th-10th, and Toronto 11th-13th. Thursday's Houston game is a day game,and Toronto Friday is a night game. If you are interested in more information, check their website here:
The Official Site of The Colorado Rockies | ColoradoRockies.com: Homepage

RED ROCKS
If a pilgrimage to Red Rocks is part of your plans, there are a few things to keep in mind. Access to the amphitheatre itself is sometimes limited on show days depending on sound checks and such. The Trading Post and Visitors Center is open 8am-7pm regardless. Parking is free at the park. STING will be playing on Wednesday 9th, and MGMT is in town on Friday the 11th. So as of right now(and that could change) Thursday, early Friday or Sunday would be the best times to visit. It would be about a 30 minute(or less) drive from downtown Denver, and I would highly recommend going if you can.
Welcome to Red Rocks

Scruffy's is a great bar, I've been know to drink Guinness there. :hyper:

From Scruffy's there is Ginn Mill across the street, and Herb's just a few doors down from Ginn Mill. Walk two or three blocks from there to the combined rooftop of the Tavern Downtown and Cowboy Lounge. If you like to dance to a variety of music, make a stop at Cowboy for sure. If you like beer there is the Falling Rock Tap House with an absurd number of beers on tap, it's fabulous. If you are young and like packed bars, hit LoDo or Jackson's (in addition to Ginn Mill, Cowboy, and Tavern). Of course there's also Fado and Celtic all right there too.

Yeah, I spend a good amount of my free time in that area. Drinking. Let me know if you'd like any other suggestions!

I'm planning on doing the Grayline tour that includes Red Rocks. I'm not renting a car, so that is the only way I can get there.

What's wrong with that?

Nothing on your part.

I just realized that I could've done the same. I did some research on Denver, and saw that there's no subway/light rail from the airport. So I booked a rental car.

Now I'm kicking myself for not looking into a shuttle.:shrug:

For those that don't mind a bit of a walk RTD runs Skyride buses from the airport to Auraria Parkway & 9th. It's a $10 trip, & takes a little over an hour. Looks like a 1 mile walk to the VQ. Or catch the Skyride to Market Station, & the light rail to Invesco.

I wasn't sure if I was going to this show, so haven't organised any accommodation. Now I'm kicking myself as Hotel VQ's all booked out, & it looks way more convenient, & about 1/2 the price of the other hotels :doh:

anyone need tickets for this show or have any friends that need tickets? I'm still trying to sell 2 seats ($98 a piece) in the lower bowl. I'll take less than the face value price!

U2Brad's found out that MGMT's playing Red Rocks the night before the U2 show, & Sting's playing there on the 9th & 10th June.

Looks like Brad, Cathal & myself will be checking out the MGMT show. Gotta go to Red Rocks at least once in my life.

I have 2 GA tickets to this show for my wife any I, but now my daughter has decided that she would like to come along... If anybody has a spare GA ticket that they want to get rid of that they aren't asking an arm and a leg for then I'd be more than happy to buy it from you. :)

Thanks!

If anyone is renting a car, where are you renting from and how much are you paying?

Yikes. I couldn't find the tour I was going to take that goes to Red Rocks, but I found it.

we got a compact car from alamo from Thursday am til sunday am..for $80.00...till they added the $30.00 extra taxes on it:angry:

I'm thinking of renting a car, as we'll be heading out to Red Rocks.

If you're a Costco member, you can get some great deals through them at http://www.costcotravel.com Some are weekend & 3 day packages, some weekly rentals, free days, free upgrades etc. Lots of rental companies to choose from too, Alamo, Avis, Budget & Enterprise.

The deal I'm looking at is with Alamo, Denver Airport, Friday midday to Monday midday, midsize car, $81 including taxes.

Used Costco last year, when I travelled with U2Brad & Cathal from LA to Phoenix, Vegas, & back again. Got a very, very good deal on an Avis weekly rental. I'm not even a costco member, Avis never asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom