July 8th and 9th 2011 - Hippodrome - Montreal - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't make it down to the waterfront. Only saw them from the CN Tower, so they looked like miniatures. We took a walk around the Rogers Centre Saturday before going to see Elevation, which was disappointing (the empty stadium, not Elevation, lol). But... it looks like a great place for a show, so I'm excited for next year!

Ya we walked around the Rogers Center too, on Friday night. Did you happen to notice the signs about the postponed show? We took a funny picture with one of them :lol:

I'm excited for next year too :hyper:

Please post so we can all dream about next year and strategize how we are going to get to the front of the stage or catwalk...:shifty:

Don't worry, we'll post them :wink:

I did notice the signs. At first I didn't see them, but then noticed they were all over the Rogers Centre. I don't recall seeing them at Angel Stadium, but could be wrong. I wondered what would happen if you'd been... well, under a rock for the last 2 months! That would make for a very sad night!

I didn't realize Steve Martin was going to be at Montreal Just for Laughs. He must have been added after I looked a while ago. It looks like the comedians I'd be interested in are sold out already. Oh well, I'm sure there is plenty else to do!

I hope the heat diminishes by next Thursday! I can't believe it has been hotter in Canada than here (Florida).

My wife and i are still going up next weekend with 3 other couples-
where are the fireworks? are they on saturday?
u2 mama- i believe our hotel is right around corner from hurley's- so im sure we are headed there at some point
any recommendations from montreallers for fun restaurants on crescent st?
we are staying at hotl de la montangue- is the roof top bar/pool decent?

any interferencers want to meet up for a one year pre-concert drink or ten- let us know

GS

u2 mama- i believe our hotel is right around corner from hurley's- so im sure we are headed there at some point

any interferencers want to meet up for a one year pre-concert drink or ten- let us know

GS

The fireworks - which are 30 minutes long, by the way - can be viewed at several locations at the eastern edge of downtown. You can view them at the Old Port in Old Montreal; the La Ronde amusement park which is on a man-made island (note: you'll have to buy tickets to watch them from bleachers set up near the water); along the riverfront near the Jacques Cartier bridge (just follow the mass of people who are getting off at the Papineau subway station; or actually on the bridge itself (get off at Papineau station which is on the green line).

Here's some info on that:

http://www.internationaldesfeuxloto-quebec.com/en/

There are plenty of good places to eat in Montreal. If you're talking strictly Crescent St., though, I'm partial to Weinstein & Gavinos and Pino. Just walk around and you'll find something you like.

The Hotel de la Montagne rooftop patio bar and pool is a very nice place. It tends to get very busy at night, so get there early and you can have a drink and enjoy the view.

GS

We would love to meet up for a drink or 10 :wink: How about sometime on Saturday?

saturday sounds good.... my wife and I are staying at Hotel Viger, fyi...
should we make some firm plans?

ok. Hurley's works..... is 10 p.m. a good time to watch the fireworks and then meet?

The fireworks are at 10 p.m., so my advice is to get there a bit early to get a good viewing spot, like 9:30 p.m., for example. If you're going on the bridge, it'll take a good 10-15 minutes to get on there from the Papineau metro station, even though it's much closer than that. The reason is that the mass of people sometimes slows things down.

The fireworks end at 10:30 p.m., and you'll most likely get back to Hurley's by 11 but no later than 11:15 p.m.

so... 11:1 sounds good..... let's make a list

Hurley's at 11:15 (where is it, btw?)
Romi + wife

I was looking into water parks to cool off if the heatwave continues and found The Super Aqua Club Super Aqua Club - Pointe-Calumet QC, Parc aquatique - 30 minutes de Montreal Sounds like a cool spot (no pun intended)

Yeah, that's a great place. Went there many a time when I was younger.

Also, if you're looking for something closer to Montreal, you could try the beach or aquatic complex at Parc Jean Drapeau (which is, incidentally, where the fireworks will be).

Parc Jean-Drapeau | îles Sainte-Hélène et Notre-Dame à Montréal

Also, for anyone looking for a good photo op, and a place to escape the city for a few hours, I would highly suggest visiting Mount Royal.

While more of a hill than a mountain, it's not often you find something similar to this in a metropolitan area. You can walk around Mount Royal Park, relax near Beaver Lake, or go hiking through the trails.

There are also multiple viewing decks, and there's one near the summit that you can take photos of yourself with the skyline behind you.

Homepage

And once your there, might as well visit St. Joseph's Oratory, which is a beautiful church (one of many in Montreal), if you're into that type of architecture.

On the topic of churches, if you're looking for interesting architecture, I have three suggestions, and all are downtown:

-Basilica Notre-Dame in Old Montreal
-St. Patrick's Basilica
-Mary Queen of the World Cathedral (which is an exact replica of St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican, only 1/20 the size or something like that)

Hurley's at 11:15 p.m. Saturday (1225 Crescent St.
Romi + wife
U2Mama + U2Daddy

Hurley's at 11:15 p.m. Saturday (1225 Crescent St.)
Romi + wife
U2Mama + U2Daddy
Guinness Stout + wife and 6 others

by the way, how are we gonna find each other at the bar?

Hurley's at 11:15 p.m. Saturday (1225 Crescent St.)
Romi + wife
U2Mama + U2Daddy
Guinness Stout + wife and 6 others
konakitty + 1

we are up to 14 just like that. can a local see if they by chance take reservations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom