July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Dublin Discussion Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Try for a B&B in the Drumcondra/Glasnevin/Whitehall areas - all close to Croke Park.

B&B almost fully booked as well. Two weeks ago I couldn't get a room at the B&B place where I wanted to stay. Had to book at a neighboring B&B. Still in the area, just maybe about 20 houses further from the main road than my original one.

Hotels in Temple Bar show almost no availability. The ones who have availability charge $200+ a night. Try to get hotels in the DART line or Luas line, easy access to the city center. There are a few hotels in Tallaght, I don't know if it's easy to get to city center and Croke Park from that area? Is that the end of the red Luas line? I can be completely wrong here...

My wife booked a nice place down in the Ballsbridge area before the tickets went on sale, so prices were very reasonable! I'm glad we got all that taken care of early - airline ticket prices have skyrocketed as some of you have mentioned...

I'm so glad that I booked early too. If anyone waits any longer there isn't going to be anything left.

Just wandering has anyone recieved there Pre-sale tickets by anychance? I really hope they don't send them out last minute!

Just wandering has anyone recieved there Pre-sale tickets by anychance? I really hope they don't send them out last minute!

Nope. Someone is saying that his got dispatched, but he is the only one. I am with you on that. I hope they do it soon.

:hmm: Still no mention of my RZ win on ticketmaster, no 2nd e-mail either, though my credit card has been charged (my red amex of course!). Think thats a double whammy for Red........so I should get a personal backstage tour by the band member of my choice :hyper: ................................... Larry of course :drool:

Found this on atu2.com

Local fury over U2 ticket sales
Dublin People, April 16, 2009

ANGRY Northside residents living in the vicinity of Croke Park have slammed the selling of tickets for the upcoming U2 concerts which have yet to be licensed.

Three July dates of the U2 360 tour, which will see 82,000 fans pile into Croke Park each night, were advertised and thousands of tickets have been sold without the licence being granted for the events.

While the licence request for the three dates was included in last week's planning list, residents who will be most affected by the gigs doubt that the council will reject permission for the event which is likely to generate e6.5 million in revenue.

"If they weren't sure that they would get the licence then they wouldn't have advertised the dates," said Barbara Ward of the Clonliff and District Residents' Association.

"It's a bit premature and just makes you wonder what the point is in going through the planning process for the licence in which public submissions from the public are invited.

"It's a joke and it makes a mockery of the residents who are led to believe they have a say on whether the concerts go ahead or not."

Last month, all 164,000 tickets for the two initial U2 concerts - Friday July 24 and Saturday July 25 - sold out in one hour prompting the band to announce a third date for July 27.

Tickets for the final Croke Park gig, which were priced e33.60, e59.80, e91.50, e131.50, went on sale on April 1.

Disgruntled residents living close to Croker believe they are being completely overlooked by both the council and the promoters.

"No one seems to realise how this extra date will impact on us," Barbara told Northside People.

"The concert will go on until all hours. It will be at least 1am before our neighbourhood settles down and we are able to get any sleep and many of residents need to get up for work the next morning."

Bill Byrne of Foster Terrace said residents were left frustrated when extra dates were added on without any consultation with locals.

"I just don't understand the logic behind this process which seems so flexible, especially when it comes to big bands and promoters who put so much pressure on the council to grant permission as the tickets have already been sold," he said.

Local councillor Emer Costello (Lab) criticised the promoter's ability to "put the cart before the horse", which she said left the council's hands tied.

"There's a lot of money riding on these gigs," she told Northside People.

"I really can't see the council rejecting the licence for these concerts for which tickets have already been sold.

"It's not as if anyone would be too keen on having to refund the 246,000 people who have bought tickets for the concerts."

In 1992, Croke Park was granted permission to hold three concerts per year. However, the events are subject to a council approved management plan and licensing.

"Under the licensing regulations Croke Park are obliged to lodge a detailed event management plan to the planning authority 16 weeks in advance of any proposed event," a Dublin City Council spokesperson said.

"Submissions are accepted by the planning authority for five weeks from the date of lodgement of the event licence application.

"The application is referred for comment to a number of consultees – Health Services Executive, An Garda Siochana and Dublin Fire Brigade, for instance. A decision to grant or refuse a licence is an executive function of the planning authority. The licence application for three concerts at Croke Park is currently under consideration by the planning authority."

The spokesperson added: "The planning regulations do not preclude a promoter from advertising or selling tickets for an event in advance of the license being issued."

A spokesperson for MCD said it had placed notices regarding the U2 concerts in the media as part of its application which it had lodged with the council.

"In addition Croke Park has raised the issue at a recent Community Liaison Committee Meeting which includes representatives from the local community and local politicians," the spokesperson continued.

"All local politicians are regular visitors to Croke Park, and like other fans will attest to the professional standards to which events are run. Large events in Croke Park are extremely important ways of stimulating the Dublin economy. It is estimated that this weekend will benefit the city with an economic stimulus of some e100 million. In recognition of the cooperation from the local community to staging concerts at Croke Park MCD have made a substantial contribution to the Community Trust Fund which has been set aside for community enhancement projects in the locality."

(c) Dublin People, 2009.

Was there any drama about the Vertigo dates? This will be my first time in Ireland, and when I checked the map for Croke Park, I was shocked. Never seen a stadium in the middle of a residential area. Hell...there usually in the boonies somewhere.

LM: You've seen U2 here before? I have a GA for the first show, but...

I'll be honest if I'm a bit :eek: at the moment.

First U2 show? No. I am just not known for being spontaneous.

Buying tix for a concert in a foreign country, then purchasing plane tix to said country has me a bit:huh:. I'm trying to hammer out the details is all.

I just checked ticket master ie on my account and it states that my tickets have been dispatched so I should be getting them soon! and I think I might be able to get free flights at least to London and back as my sister has won two way tickets at her work so she is giving them to me I think and then all I have to do is get cheap flights from London to Dublin and they are sooooo cheap!

First U2 show? No. I am just not known for being spontaneous.

Buying tix for a concert in a foreign country, then purchasing plane tix to said country has me a bit:huh:. I'm trying to hammer out the details is all.

Don't worry you won't be the first nor the last who'll be doing that and hopefully someone on here soon will arrange for us to meet up?

Ticket Master IE are also selling not sure if they are pre-party or after-party tickets for U2.

Sorry ticket master is selling pre-party tickets but also includes concert tickets as well!

Found this on atu2.com

Local fury over U2 ticket sales
Dublin People, April 16, 2009

ANGRY Northside residents living in the vicinity of Croke Park have slammed the selling of tickets for the upcoming U2 concerts which have yet to be licensed.

Three July dates of the U2 360 tour, which will see 82,000 fans pile into Croke Park each night, were advertised and thousands of tickets have been sold without the licence being granted for the events.

While the licence request for the three dates was included in last week's planning list, residents who will be most affected by the gigs doubt that the council will reject permission for the event which is likely to generate e6.5 million in revenue.

"If they weren't sure that they would get the licence then they wouldn't have advertised the dates," said Barbara Ward of the Clonliff and District Residents' Association.

"It's a bit premature and just makes you wonder what the point is in going through the planning process for the licence in which public submissions from the public are invited.

"It's a joke and it makes a mockery of the residents who are led to believe they have a say on whether the concerts go ahead or not."

Last month, all 164,000 tickets for the two initial U2 concerts - Friday July 24 and Saturday July 25 - sold out in one hour prompting the band to announce a third date for July 27.

Tickets for the final Croke Park gig, which were priced e33.60, e59.80, e91.50, e131.50, went on sale on April 1.

Disgruntled residents living close to Croker believe they are being completely overlooked by both the council and the promoters.

"No one seems to realise how this extra date will impact on us," Barbara told Northside People.

"The concert will go on until all hours. It will be at least 1am before our neighbourhood settles down and we are able to get any sleep and many of residents need to get up for work the next morning."

Bill Byrne of Foster Terrace said residents were left frustrated when extra dates were added on without any consultation with locals.

"I just don't understand the logic behind this process which seems so flexible, especially when it comes to big bands and promoters who put so much pressure on the council to grant permission as the tickets have already been sold," he said.

Local councillor Emer Costello (Lab) criticised the promoter's ability to "put the cart before the horse", which she said left the council's hands tied.

"There's a lot of money riding on these gigs," she told Northside People.

"I really can't see the council rejecting the licence for these concerts for which tickets have already been sold.

"It's not as if anyone would be too keen on having to refund the 246,000 people who have bought tickets for the concerts."

In 1992, Croke Park was granted permission to hold three concerts per year. However, the events are subject to a council approved management plan and licensing.

"Under the licensing regulations Croke Park are obliged to lodge a detailed event management plan to the planning authority 16 weeks in advance of any proposed event," a Dublin City Council spokesperson said.

"Submissions are accepted by the planning authority for five weeks from the date of lodgement of the event licence application.

"The application is referred for comment to a number of consultees – Health Services Executive, An Garda Siochana and Dublin Fire Brigade, for instance. A decision to grant or refuse a licence is an executive function of the planning authority. The licence application for three concerts at Croke Park is currently under consideration by the planning authority."

The spokesperson added: "The planning regulations do not preclude a promoter from advertising or selling tickets for an event in advance of the license being issued."

A spokesperson for MCD said it had placed notices regarding the U2 concerts in the media as part of its application which it had lodged with the council.

"In addition Croke Park has raised the issue at a recent Community Liaison Committee Meeting which includes representatives from the local community and local politicians," the spokesperson continued.

"All local politicians are regular visitors to Croke Park, and like other fans will attest to the professional standards to which events are run. Large events in Croke Park are extremely important ways of stimulating the Dublin economy. It is estimated that this weekend will benefit the city with an economic stimulus of some e100 million. In recognition of the cooperation from the local community to staging concerts at Croke Park MCD have made a substantial contribution to the Community Trust Fund which has been set aside for community enhancement projects in the locality."

(c) Dublin People, 2009.

To be honest I understand where they are coming from but you know we are going to be bringing them a lot of bussiness a lot of cash during that weekend.....

The same thing happened during the Vertigo Tour: Residents were angry, blablabla. Get over it, its only 3 nights every 4 years. They should listen to the construction noise I've been hearing out of my window for the past 2 months! :)

How do residents not have a right to be angry? they were told they'd only have 3 gigs a year, and U2 go ahead and break that rule without even having a license. No offensive if I wasn't a U2 fan I'd be pretty pissed off if they played outside my house for three nights, especially when apparently they weren't entitled to

as much as we all like u2 here, there's zero doubt this is a dick move.

it's nice they're playing the shows, but imagine if it were coldplay or radiohead playing outside your house when they weren't entitled to.

yeah, i think the residents have every right to be upset. as stated in the article, people are going to be trying to sleep on a work night but there will be a loud rock concert blasting in their neighbourhood. i'm sure there could be some sort of compromise, like at the very least they could play at a different venue the third night. :shrug:

Try to get hotels in the DART line or Luas line, easy access to the city center. There are a few hotels in Tallaght, I don't know if it's easy to get to city center and Croke Park from that area? Is that the end of the red Luas line? I can be completely wrong here...

Be better off on a shorter bus journey than getting the Luas all the way out to Tallaght. My opinion anyway.

yeah, i think the residents have every right to be upset. as stated in the article, people are going to be trying to sleep on a work night but there will be a loud rock concert blasting in their neighbourhood. i'm sure there could be some sort of compromise, like at the very least they could play at a different venue the third night. :shrug:

They usually get free tickets to the shows (that was the case in 2005), thats the compromise.

Of course they have the right to be angry, but again: Get over it people, it's not like this happens every other day.

Besides, following reports on this in 2005 (I have a taped Sky report on this even), it isn't the noise of the concert people are pissed about, it's the extremely rude people who attend the concert and, excuse my french, piss on the walls and cars of the residents (or create any other damage in the residency)! That was the case in 2005 and that's the main problem. Not if U2 plays 2 or 3 nights (who gives a bullocks?!), it's the circumstance they have to face that there will be thousands of morons (some of whom will be hammered after the concert, or even before) that create some sort of damage!

That's another problem, and not a problem U2 has to deal with. Otherwise we could kiss all concerts goodbye.

PS: Twickenham, Nou Camp, etc...all would have the same problem. Yet, I don't hear reports there (and Twickenham is really messed up in that way!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom