July 24, 25, 27- Croke Park Discussion Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, scolson, I tried venere and couldn't find too many places with rooms for my dates... And thanks for the support, everyone!

Oh Iris, thank you so much for your offer :hug: but I'd already made another arrangement by the time I read your post. I will be arriving in Dublin on July 23.

I spent last night and a better part of this morning trying to find other b&b in the area, and came up with nothing.

However, my original b&b host emailed me this morning (I made her feel bad about giving my room away) and said she was able to get her friend to accommodate me in their guesthouse with the same price for the 5 nights I'd booked. She gave me their information so I can call them. I was suspicious at first, because I'm pretty sure I emailed/called just about every place in Drumcondra and came up empty.

So I called them up and talked to the lady. Her story is that she hasn't been operating their guesthouse for a while because they had to care for her recently passed mother. But she said they can take me in for this exceptional situation. I will be the only guest in the house. I think I'm getting a better deal here with a twin room, and private accommodations...

But I am a bit anxious about the whole thing because I will be traveling solo, and now I can't even check out the place on the web to see other people's reviews, etc... She gave me the address, and the place is quite close to Croke Park, around the area of my original b&b. The lady sounds very nice on the phone.

Obviously I'd rather stay with a fellow U2 fan, since our itinerary is probably going to be so similar... :D but I've already made that commitment. But it's so nice of you to jump in and offer that. If I get to the guesthouse and I get a bad feeling about my new hosts, I may still take you up on that.

If I don't show up for our meet-up.... :shifty: notify somebody, would you...

You are welcome. I am glad you were able to work something out. Please do not hesitate to contact me if those plans change.

Dublin 270

Is Dublin the only show on the tour that does not have seats sold at the back of the stage?:sexywink:

As far as i can make out all the stadiums have sold seats behind the stage:drool:

14 sleeps to Dublin departure...19 sleeps to Croke I :hyper:

Anyone in for meet-up at Guiness Storehouse Gravity Bar Thurs. 23rd at 2:00 p.m.?....

Have we sorted out meet-up on night of 23rd?...

Not all pubs in Dublin stay open late (past 11:00 p.m.) so lets make sure we pick something with late closing...I managed to snag a ticket for Leonard Cohen at Dublin O2 on the 23rd so will be getting to wherever we decide late...

Save me a seat at one of the tables and I'll buy the table a round! (Besides I need to make sure and buy lauramullen a bday pint).

so on 23rd? OK, count me in. I'll be there at 2

So is the plan to meet at the Oliver St. John Pub on the night of the 23rd? Here's what one side had to say about it:

slightly touristy but nonetheless lively pub and youth hostel in the heart of Temple Bar. There's no direct U2 connection here, but look out for the interesting paintings of Bono and the Edge on the right of the bar as you go in, just above the stairs leading to the toilets.

Let's do it!

I didn't have a chance to read back to see if it's been posted yet...but I have a claw question!

Did they announce yet how the entry to the claw (the inner circle) will be handled? First come, first served vs. lottery? How many does that area hold?

Any info you have to share would be AWESOME! I can't believe I leave so soon. Can't wait!

The production seats that became available this week are the same as ones sold to u2.com members including me. Is this a good or bad thing? Will they be good seats? Section 333?

So is the plan to meet at the Oliver St. John Pub on the night of the 23rd? Here's what one side had to say about it:

slightly touristy but nonetheless lively pub and youth hostel in the heart of Temple Bar. There's no direct U2 connection here, but look out for the interesting paintings of Bono and the Edge on the right of the bar as you go in, just above the stairs leading to the toilets.

Let's do it!

I used to live in Dublin, near that bar actually- the Oliver St. John is a cheesy tourist bar usually with more english people than irish. stag hen party.

If your lookin for an actual pub near temple bar where actual people go maybe try the Porter House on Parliament St, there is another one on Nassau Street too but if your goin up that far there are loads of great places up and near there then, O'Donoghue's etc

GA is first come, first serve. I think 3000 people make it into the Ring Of Fire....

Got my email last night reminding me I have an event at Croke Park coming up.... Wonder what that is..

I used to live in Dublin, near that bar actually- the Oliver St. John is a cheesy tourist bar usually with more english people than irish. stag hen party.

If your lookin for an actual pub near temple bar where actual people go maybe try the Porter House on Parliament St, there is another one on Nassau Street too but if your goin up that far there are loads of great places up and near there then, O'Donoghue's etc

This is good information and the type of suggestions I was looking for.

I say we scrap the cheese tourist bar that I suggested and find something else.

thanks for that info- is the brazen head, temple bar etc all going (or gone ) the tourist route?
any other pub suggestions esp. near croke, and or local restaurants would be appreciated!
thanks

Hi guys, I'm new around here and am from Dublin. I agree with daithidaithi, all the bars in Temple Bar are cheesy and are usually full of tourists / hen parties.

Some bars that may be of interest to you guys might be Kehoe's on South Anne St, Sinnotts on South King Street or Messrs Maguire on Burgh Quay (O'Connell Bridge). These are all within a 5 minute walk of Temple Bar but usually attract a local crowd. There are also a number of bars / clubs on Leeson St and Harcourt St (about a 10-15 minute walk from Temple Bar). The Russell Court Hotel on Harcourt St, has a few bars / clubs, as well as a large outdoor smoking area.

I wouldn't recommend visiting any of the bars around Croke Park!

Hi guys, I'm new around here and am from Dublin. I agree with daithidaithi, all the bars in Temple Bar are cheesy and are usually full of tourists / hen parties.

Some bars that may be of interest to you guys might be Kehoe's on South Anne St, Sinnotts on South King Street or Messrs Maguire on Burgh Quay (O'Connell Bridge). These are all within a 5 minute walk of Temple Bar but usually attract a local crowd. There are also a number of bars / clubs on Leeson St and Harcourt St (about a 10-15 minute walk from Temple Bar). The Russell Court Hotel on Harcourt St, has a few bars / clubs, as well as a large outdoor smoking area.

I wouldn't recommend visiting any of the bars around Croke Park!

thanks to you both, im staying on harcourt, so hopefully i'll find a few places to stumble to my hotel from- i dont want to waste any time in a tourist trap

Has ANYBODY not received their tickets to Dublin 2 yet? I bought some off someone on Ebay on 13 May and still not received them. She claims Ticketmaster still haven't sent them out and it seems that everyone on here has received theirs months ago.

Sounds a bit dodgy doesn't it? But she insists Ticketmaster have told her they'll be sent out seven days before the gig. I've asked her to send me an email from Ticketmaster saying this but she hasn't. Hmmmm ...

I got my Dublin 2 tickets 2 months ago when they sent the first batch out

About the bars/pubs, even though I know we probably should try to avoid the tourist traps (because they may charge an arm and a leg for a pint), but I still also want to make sure it's somewhere that is easy to find, and easy to get public transportation to for us who are not staying in city center (am I the only one??)...

I think its a good idea to go to a spot that is easy to find but also avoid the cheese as pointed out by the guys that know the city. If there are a few people saying we should go to a pub thats 5 minutes from the Temple Bar that has no cheese and these people know the city then we would be daft not to take their advice, however if everybody else feels otherwise then i am happy to go with the flow

I agree but someone here has to make the call on the pub and make it a final meeting spot or this will never be settled.

I just want a good pub, I expect all of the pubs to be a mad house due to the amount of people in Dublin for the concerts.

*edited: this post sounds extremely selfish, with all the "I's" *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom