July 23, 2011 TCF Stadium Minneapolis II - A Sort Of U2 Prairie Homecoming Companion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I don't have the face for State Fair Butter Queen, so Aquatennial Princess is my only hope.

:D

I am bringing a stick of butter to the GA line and will carve a nice Kramwest sculpture.

I am not concerned at all about the concert being in jeopardy. Here is a list of things that are open and closed right now:

What's open, what's closed: Your guide to the shutdown | StarTribune.com

As an individual who has lived in seven states (including Minnesota), I would have to say that the shutdown is pretty concerning and not all that new. Minnesota has come close to this before.

In reality, the Minnesota state legislature is actually one of the better state government systems out there.

At the risk of sounding like a major a-hole, I'm going to retract previous statements about bringing non-fans and family members for the ride.

I went with my uncle and cousin last night to Chicago. After Walk On, my cousin taps me on the shoulder and says,"We're gonna get going." I'm standing there thinking, "You gotta be f-ing kidding me."

The whole night, my cousin was high-strung about having to be to work the next day and how much sleep he was going to get and my uncle wasn't feeling so great (yeah, no one who's been waiting outside in the heat and tried to balance adequate hydration with not having to pee feels 100% from a physical standpoint). I pleaded with him to at least stay for HMTMKMKM, which I'd never seen live. Afterwards, I gave in and left with them during WOWY. 30 minutes later, I get a text message from a friend saying "So jealous - OTH." I'm sitting there staring at my phone, in a complete trance, hoping to God that's either a typo or a joke. I was sick to my stomach afterwards and still am.

Screw bringing friends and family. They can figure this shit out for themselves.

That is unreal. Your uncle and cousin owe you big time, and you need to make them pay.

With blood, if possible.

I'm so sorry. :(

For that reason alone (especially now that we're all going to be watching with bated breath at the end of the show to see if this is a new trend), I'm letting my parents know that if they want to leave early, they can. The hotel is just up the street.

Me, I'm parking my ass right there until Elton John starts singing and the lights come up. And then not moving for another 10 minutes, just in case.

It was pure crap. They weren't good enough to hack it for the rest of the concert, but they were fine sprinting down Madison for a cab to Union Station.

I mentioned it to my cousin and uncle when I was sitting in the back seat but downplayed the whole thing and even said it wasn't one of my favorite songs (a flat out lie). Hell of the thing is I made this exact joke with GotPhilk about an hour earlier, when my cousin indicated a possible earlier departure. I asked him what he thought the odds of MOS being the last song was. We both kinda agreed that it was likely but not inevitable. My exact words: "With my luck, they'll play One Tree Hill as soon as I leave." I said that jokingly, as I figured there was no chance they'd actually play it.

Compare this to my sister, who passed out on the front rail during the Vertigo Chicago DVD shoot, came to, shook it off and was clapping throughout the second performance of Vertigo.

I'm afraid to ask what happened in Portland. Was it just the shitty weather in the GA line, or did it get progressively worse from there?

Portland was miserable overall. I had this great idea of meeting my friend from Australia there (for the first time ever) and introduce her to U2. Her flight got delayed twice and she missed at least one connection. I ended up waiting in Portland airport about 14 hours longer than expected. She was coming from Brisbane and I from Honolulu - the ice storm was a complete shock to the system. We got to the hotel late, couldn't find anything to eat nearby then woke up early for the GA line. We ended up tapping out of the line early due to the freezing weather neither of us was ready for. We got back in line around 3PM and still froze our butts off. By the time we got in, we didn't feel so great. Toward the middle/end of the show, we were just sick. And we were rewarded with a very, very average U2 show. I got back on the plane early the next morning, convinced that she hated me. It was just not a great time.

Ugh, that blows. That ice storm was terrible - I drove down from Seattle with a friend and the storm hit just as we were arriving in Portland. It was pretty scary. My car almost didn't even make it up the slight incline into the hotel parking lot. Everything was closed, but at least the hotel restaurant was open. Meant to go to the @U2 party, but there was no way I was driving again.

I went to the line at 7 the next morning and lasted about 20 minutes before I said "fuck this" and went back to the hotel for the rest of the day.

Was it the Marriot? Only thing we could find open was the crappy Wendy's nearby. And yeah, we basically did the exact same thing with the line. She'd never been in anything remotely like this weather wise, and I didn't feel up to it either.

Plus the whole thing was just too expensive. GA's were going for insane prices.

I don't think it was the Marriot, it was one of the other chains, if I recall correctly. There were a handful of people there from the U2.com forums, and my friend and I tried to make nice, but they were having none of it. Whatevs.

I lucked out and had bought a GA from a guy many months earlier, so I just paid face.

At the risk of sounding like a major a-hole, I'm going to retract previous statements about bringing non-fans and family members for the ride.

I went with my uncle and cousin last night to Chicago. After Walk On, my cousin taps me on the shoulder and says,"We're gonna get going." I'm standing there thinking, "You gotta be f-ing kidding me."

The whole night, my cousin was high-strung about having to be to work the next day and how much sleep he was going to get and my uncle wasn't feeling so great (yeah, no one who's been waiting outside in the heat and tried to balance adequate hydration with not having to pee feels 100% from a physical standpoint). I pleaded with him to at least stay for HMTMKMKM, which I'd never seen live. Afterwards, I gave in and left with them during WOWY. 30 minutes later, I get a text message from a friend saying "So jealous - OTH." I'm sitting there staring at my phone, in a complete trance, hoping to God that's either a typo or a joke. I was sick to my stomach afterwards and still am.

Screw bringing friends and family. They can figure this shit out for themselves.

OMG I'm sorry!

Everyone, friends and family (12 people and counting) that I got tickets for this show had asked me if I want to get drinks before the show, should we drive together, can we stand by you, etc., etc. I responded with "I may or may not see you there, this is Mark in his natural environment, don't expect anything from him." Period.

I'll get you the tix. It's your own job to be entertained by the show.

Surely I realize that I don't have the money to go.

Surely I realize that in order to pull this off, I would need to be back home the next day on little to no sleep to go to work.

Surely I realize that I have BILLS to pay.

Surely, surely I realize all of these things.

Right?

That is a major bummer, I would be very upset....:sad: I know it is not the same but there are already good videos of it, I have one but not very good quality...

Now, I have a question about ga in minneapolis.Once you are in the stadium, are you able to go to the bathroom or get drinks etc if you are in the inner circle.Was so hot in Chicago with nothing to drink...

Now, I have a question about ga in minneapolis.Once you are in the stadium, are you able to go to the bathroom or get drinks etc if you are in the inner circle.Was so hot in Chicago with nothing to drink...

I don't have a lot of hope for the bathroom situation at the stadium. Unless, I see 100 port-a-potties on the field, I won't believe it's enough. For the 2 football games I've been at, even the men's had a line. And, the crowd flow of the stadium is NOT the best. The concourse gets very packed.
I think it actually will be better to be down on the field (as long as there are biffys and drinks).

And, we generally are nice here (though there will be douchebags), so getting back to your space shouldn't be too much of an issue. Our concert security people are generally good, too. Make friends with everyone, including your neighborhood security guy.

GA looked so packed @ Chicago, and it was so hot. I am kinda concerned about DDs but it is MN (good to be home) Good to know, had a run in with a real nazi security guy in Chi-town, a real jerk

I've heard varying experiences throughout the tour about how packed the inner circle gets. I know it was overpacked at the first Chicago shows, and it sounds like again Soldier Field likes to play U2 Fans Are Sardines.

I'm sorry, but I do not understand this. Why wouldn't you want another show to wipe the bad taste out of your mouth? Is someone going to force you to leave early at this one, too?

I'm fully aware that I'm being a Debbie Downer, and maybe I'm just overtired (I barely slept last night). I'm just fearful that I'm going to drive 5-6 hours, pay $360 for the damned Days Inn and get a half-assed show. It's the Portland effect still kicking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom