July 16th, 17th, 2010 - Montreal - Hippodrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a nutshell, the annual summer festival in Quebec City is going to approach U2 about playing there, before their date in Montreal because they have a show in NYC a few days later. U2 hadn't been discussed as a potential act until they announced their Montreal date yesterday.

Paul McCartney played there last year and 260,000 people showed up.

Also - towards the end of the article, it says Montreal's venue has yet to be determined but it looks like the Olympic Stadium is out because U2 prefers open air shows and according to the Olympic Stadium PR guy, their roof is never opened.

Well, yeah the roof on Olympic Stadium does not open anymore; period. That said u2 would have played under a closed roof at the Skydome had it rained.

They won't play Quebec City. Thy have just got their hopes up because the current mayor has big ideas about a 2020 Olympics bid, their horrible NHL team retuning, and now this. It's all talk.

they prefer to play open to the sky

Dallas: roof closed because Jerry did not want his new TV getting wet

Toronto : good weather, thank god ,allowed it to be open

Amsterdam: roof closed despite the band begging for it to be open . City regulation according to crew member who i shared a flight with

Vancouver: no choice as far as roof . BUT they are planning on spending a month there to finish the next album ( some great studios out there ) . So i am wondering if they got a show simply because they were going there anyway ?. Same as Nice , France. Its a horrid stadium , small etc etc . But they get a show only because they get to spend some extra time at summer home . If they did not own homes there that stadium would never get a show.

Well, let's see what's decided and what the layout looks like. They could fence it all off to be like a football field with those big barriers.
**hopeful**

they prefer to play open to the sky

Dallas: roof closed because Jerry did not want his new TV getting wet

Toronto : good weather, thank god ,allowed it to be open

Amsterdam: roof closed despite the band begging for it to be open . City regulation according to crew member who i shared a flight with

Vancouver: no choice as far as roof . BUT they are planning on spending a month there to finish the next album ( some great studios out there ) . So i am wondering if they got a show simply because they were going there anyway ?. Same as Nice , France. Its a horrid stadium , small etc etc . But they get a show only because they get to spend some extra time at summer home . If they did not own homes there that stadium would never get a show.

They also opened the roof in Houston. It was closed when I got there, but they opened it about twenty minutes before Muse came on.

Anyway, it sounds like Olympic Stadium is a total pit of despair, so we can't blame U2 for doing all they can to find another venue. It sounds like they'll bring in their own stands and de facto construct their own stadium around the race track.

According to the article Metallica had 43K people on the grass at Parc Jean Drapeau. That's surely more than the Hippodrome's open ground can fit, no? (Big O can do 60-65K). The only issue I see with Jean Drapeau being whether there is enough level ground for the claw, and whether getting all those trucks out there and parked somewhere useful for construction is going to be a logistical nightmare.

I kinda like the venue mystery :hmm:

Maybe U2 will just find some open field on the outskirts of Montreal, build their own stadium for the show(s), and sell it to some rich person/organization/government after that.

That should be their next touring concept, actually... they build a stadium that can hold 85,000 people (including GA), with concert-tailored acoustics, and they build it and take it down in a flat field outside of each city.

According to the article Metallica had 43K people on the grass at Parc Jean Drapeau. That's surely more than the Hippodrome's open ground can fit, no? (Big O can do 60-65K). The only issue I see with Jean Drapeau being whether there is enough level ground for the claw, and whether getting all those trucks out there and parked somewhere useful for construction is going to be a logistical nightmare.

I kinda like the venue mystery :hmm:

This is why I mentioned that park. I'm the U2 fan. My wife loves Radiohead. We did Radiohead in Montreal, and despite the crazy rain, the concert at Parc Jean Drapeau was amazing. In the paper.....they talked about the 33K at Radiohead and how they were second only to Metallica.

This Hippodrome is unreal though. Like everyone knows that Olympic Stadium (where I saw a Popmart show) will most likely not be the venue.

I'm so curious to see what actually happens. As a Toronto to Montreal tourist.....I can't wait to go.....depending on the venue.

aw fuck...who am I kidding....MTL would be awesome...period.

Imagine this layout:

lg_zurich.jpg

This is in Dubendorf, Switzerland, but just like the Hippodrome, it's a flat field. Stands will be set up for seats.

Oh, and Arcade Fire :drool:

Sometimes I wish I was Canadian.

:up:
i really could not care any less about the venue. i'm thrilled to have a weekend holiday in montreal.

Sorry to bring up the Radiohead thing again.

Wife and I went to Jean Drapeau Parc and it was 100% general admission. Some people sat on the hill. Some people sat on the grass. Most stood in the rain of mud. 33K in terms of crowd. Lots of fun.

I think it was the week after, we went and saw Radiohead in our hometown of Toronto at the Molson Amphitheatre. Same show. The video screens were set up differently.....but this was all seating with the lawns at the back.

I guess what I'm saying is, would it really be so hard for U2 do to this where all tickets are GA for Montreal?

I personally don't think so.

Sorry to bring up the Radiohead thing again.

Wife and I went to Jean Drapeau Parc and it was 100% general admission. Some people sat on the hill. Some people sat on the grass. Most stood in the rain of mud. 33K in terms of crowd. Lots of fun.

I think it was the week after, we went and saw Radiohead in our hometown of Toronto at the Molson Amphitheatre. Same show. The video screens were set up differently.....but this was all seating with the lawns at the back.

I guess what I'm saying is, would it really be so hard for U2 do to this where all tickets are GA for Montreal?

I personally don't think so.
Out of all possible Montreal venues Parc Jean Drapeau would be my preferred option. It's close to downtown and easy for 35K plus people to get to via public transport.

Saw Radiohead there too and it was very intimate, even considering how big the field is. Probably getting the stage and cranes in would Bethesda biggest logistical problem.

EDIT lol @ iPhone spelling correction.

Out of all possible Montreal venues Parc Jean Drapeau would be my preferred option. It's close to downtown and easy for 35K plus people to get to via public transport.

Saw Radiohead there too and it was very intimate, even considering how big the field is. Probably getting the stage and cranes in would Bethesda biggest logistical problem.

EDIT lol @ iPhone spelling correction.

....I've also been to F1 racing there as well. Despite the fact there is a huge line up to go to and from there via the Metro.....a TON of people are used to travelling that way.

that's a big load of speculation there...

I'm hoping to make this show as my wife and I have been looking for an excuse to see Montreal. I'll take whatever venue. The bootlegs from Montreal and the couple of fans I've talked to from there make it a "must see" with U2. :rockon:

Mark

There's no way that you can put 45 000 people with the claw at Parc Jean-Drapeau.

Parc Maisonneuve Or the Hippodrome will be the venue.

I'm hoping to make this show as my wife and I have been looking for an excuse to see Montreal. I'll take whatever venue. The bootlegs from Montreal and the couple of fans I've talked to from there make it a "must see" with U2. :rockon:

Mark

Uh huh. I travel from Virginia for shows in Montreal. Plus it's the day after my b-day! :cabbagepatch:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom