December 1st and 3rd 2010 - Etihad Stadium - Melbourne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going down to have a look before the fan meet-up. Don't expect them online earlier than 10pm though!

I'm driving over from Adelaide tomorrow morning, how's the weather in Melbourne, i heard it's going to be wet with storms and lightning, makes for an interesting concert :hyper:

I'm driving over from Adelaide tomorrow morning, how's the weather in Melbourne, i heard it's going to be wet with storms and lightning, makes for an interesting concert :hyper:

Sunny right now actually. Showers and isolated thunderstorms are forecast, so it'll be the usual Melbourne weather that made Crowded House write Four Seasons In One Day.

No didn't read as trying to drive and write on iPhone... Why not?

U2 almost never rehearse the night before a gig; if they do a soundcheck, it's on the day of the show.

The only time U2 ever do soundchecks on the night before is in the first city of a tour's leg, and that was Auckland. Won't happen in Melbourne. In any case, based on how incomplete the stage was yesterday afternoon, I doubt it would be ready even if U2 did want to do a soundcheck tonight!

Whats the odds on Bono and C hynde catching up in melb? ( pretenders/blondie playing thurs night)
Im thinking they might bump into eachother at/on some stage....:hmm:

I was down at the stadium earlier. There were five people in the queue by gate 7. Security began setting up pens when I was leaving.

Twenty if you go back and tell them that on this leg, the inner zone is the Red Zone.

and thirty if he films it!

It'll be ridiculous as always. But eh. I'll still spend my money.

i'd say it's an improvement over previous legs of this tour, but there isn't much range. would have preferred it if the venue specific shirts were still printed on grey rather than olive green, but it's not a bad shade...i just thought it looked better in grey. /wtf

i'd say it's an improvement over previous legs of this tour, but there isn't much range. would have preferred it if the venue specific shirts were still printed on grey rather than olive green, but it's not a bad shade...i just thought it looked better in grey. /wtf

I don't really care much about the colour (though I'd prefer grey too); I just hope that the venue specific shirts are now made well enough that the venue map doesn't come off in the wash! I wore my Amsterdam shirt once, put it through the wash, and suddenly the venue map is almost invisible. Same thing happened to my friends with Dublin shirts, so I haven't so much as worn my Dublin shirt yet.

OK folks, fan meet-up tonight is a go. All welcome.

Where: Lord Of The Fries, Melbourne Central
When: 7pm

I'm dead easy to spot. There aren't many albinos with canes in the city; I'm also the male half of a blonde couple and I'll be wearing a black Opeth shirt. I will be swinging by Etihad beforehand to see what's happening there, so if I'm a little late, that's why.

I Still intend to be there by 7:30, or 8 at the latest. The new Police crackdown on the roads has scared me a bit. So I may be a little slower than usual :wink:

I don't really care much about the colour (though I'd prefer grey too); I just hope that the venue specific shirts are now made well enough that the venue map doesn't come off in the wash! I wore my Amsterdam shirt once, put it through the wash, and suddenly the venue map is almost invisible. Same thing happened to my friends with Dublin shirts, so I haven't so much as worn my Dublin shirt yet.

my chicago one has faded a bit but has been in very heavy rotation because it's always at the front of my wardrobe. i think i'll probably retire it now and keep the auckland shirt in rare use. shame, i actually feel quite comfortable in the material.

OK folks, fan meet-up tonight is a go. All welcome.

Where: Lord Of The Fries, Melbourne Central
When: 7pm

I'm dead easy to spot. There aren't many albinos with canes in the city; I'm also the male half of a blonde couple and I'll be wearing a black Opeth shirt. I will be swinging by Etihad beforehand to see what's happening there, so if I'm a little late, that's why.

im driving down to etihad around 630...then will prob head up for a drink Axver. I'll keep an eye out for you...

Does anyone have any idea at what time U2 will be onstage? I'm going with a couple of friends on Wednesday and they'd rather skip the opening act.

I'd expect 9:30PM or so.

I have to keep pinching myself that this is happening tomorrow. Where did the time go? :lol:

Its False. (I'm 99.9% Sure)

sfx61816.gif

See the Red Zone Section? you can't get into there. the rest is fine with regular GA.

Just have to comment on the alcohol free zone - really why bother! :huh:

Will be arriving just in time for the show both nights due to grownupperyness (love that word Purplereign!) and work, and waiting for friends so can someone save me a spot on the rail?! :wink:

(can't complain after getting a spot on the rail and having a little chat with Bono in 2006)

Have a great time everyone!

(just a bit excited!)

Ha - so Kanye West has arrived in Melbourne. Potential for the fuck-rap-support-acts-Kanye-was-shit-fucking-jayz crowds worst nightmare?

Ha - so Kanye West has arrived in Melbourne. Potential for the fuck-rap-support-acts-Kanye-was-shit-fucking-jayz crowds worst nightmare?

lmao :applaud: everytime i've commented on how bad kayne west was and how i'm doing everything i can to avoid hearing jay-z i get abused like you wouldn't believe. Glad someone feels the same lol

Well, I don't really agree.

"I can't be arsed with Jay Z because I don't really care for Jay Z" = fine, obviously. If the support act were someone I considered out and out rubbish, (say, Snow Patrol or the Fray as possible 'real' examples) I'd be at the bar too.

"I militantly refuse to see Jay Z because I hate the entire, incredibly wide and diverse genre of hip-hop from end to end, and part of my logic is that I don't think hip-hop should be supporting U2 because U2 are a rock band and it's a rock show and this is all rubbish and whats wrong with this world" = stupid beyond belief. I actually don't really understand that at all.

There's disappointment at not getting a support act you actively like, and then there's this silly anger not based on the merits of the act, but purely on the genre they come from, and it has no logic or legitimacy to it. None.

Personally, I'm not a Jay Z fan, but I would check it out - it is rare to get the biggest acts of two entirely different genres on the same bill. He's meant to be good live. And I like him, I just personally wouldn't put him in any Top Whatever list of great hip-hop acts. Kanye I do like a lot. I didn't think he was very good supporting U2, but that is only in comparison to having seen his own show, which was brilliant. I actually think hip-hop is a hard thing to make work in a stadium. Big, solid, simple bass and beat gets too muddled and muddy too easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom