Australian tour dates??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently today channel 9 mentioned u2 touring here in 2010......so it must be true...haha...at least its the first mention of it on oz tv.....:hmm:

I was hoping you'd post your take, Earnie. I definitely appreciate your insights.

On the issue of the claw, I think they could probably do Australia with just two. If I remember correctly, it's 5 days for set-up and 2 days for teardown, which I assume will become quicker and more honed as the tour progresses. My big concern regarding that is how they would reserve stadiums for that duration; I think it guarantees the band coming here in a November, if nothing else, since at least the footy season will be over.

Anyway, I could see a tour like this (dates chosen at random):

ITINERARY
01/11: Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
04/11: Subiaco, Perth
09/11: Telstra Stadium, Sydney
10/11: Telstra Stadium, Sydney
13/11: Footy Park, Adelaide
19/11: Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
20/11: Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
24/11: Westpac Stadium, Wellington
25/11: Westpac Stadium, Wellington
(I think the capacity increase provided by the 360 set-up negates any need for 2x shows in Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide or 3x shows in Sydney and Melbourne.)

That breaks down to:

CLAW ONE
7 days tear down/travel/set-up

CLAW TWO
8 days tear down/travel/set-up (this may need to be longer? Perth can be a day earlier ...)
10 days tear down/travel/set-up

Hell, if they just decide to do Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, with no dates in New Zealand or Perth, they could possibly do it with just one claw: gigs each weekend with tear-down/travel/set-up through the week.

What, no Axveriffic festival??? and how long before these dates pop up somewhere as fact? :wink:

And there's definitely a tour on, reptile has emerged :ohmy:

I was hoping you'd post your take, Earnie. I definitely appreciate your insights.

On the issue of the claw, I think they could probably do Australia with just two. If I remember correctly, it's 5 days for set-up and 2 days for teardown, which I assume will become quicker and more honed as the tour progresses. My big concern regarding that is how they would reserve stadiums for that duration; I think it guarantees the band coming here in a November, if nothing else, since at least the footy season will be over.

ITINERARY
(I think the capacity increase provided by the 360 set-up negates any need for 2x shows in Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide or 3x shows in Sydney and Melbourne.)

That breaks down to:

CLAW ONE

CLAW TWO
8 days tear down/travel/set-up (this may need to be longer? Perth can be a day earlier ...)

Hell, if they just decide to do Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, with no dates in New Zealand or Perth, they could possibly do it with just one claw: gigs each weekend with tear-down/travel/set-up through the week.

i know you love wellington and all, but the slightly bigger stadium in wellington surely wouldn't offset the costs of trucking everything in from where they could actually use the cargo planes - likely auckland. i would have at least thought you'd include reasoning as to why you're completely skipping new zealand's biggest city in favour of one that's logistically very difficult. they'd surely even play christchurch ahead of wellington.

i know you love wellington and all, but the slightly bigger stadium in wellington surely wouldn't offset the costs of trucking everything in from where they could actually use the cargo planes - likely auckland. i would have at least thought you'd include reasoning as to why you're completely skipping new zealand's biggest city in favour of one that's logistically very difficult. they'd surely even play christchurch ahead of wellington.

No need to take such a tone. I do have a reason actually, and I've posted it before - as far as 360 goes, it seems to me the Cake Tin is the best choice as a stadium. Would it not be the one stadium in New Zealand that would most readily accommodate such a set-up? It seems far more ideal than Mt Smart to me.

No need to take such a tone. I do have a reason actually, and I've posted it before - as far as 360 goes, it seems to me the Cake Tin is the best choice as a stadium. Would it not be the one stadium in New Zealand that would most readily accommodate such a set-up? It seems far more ideal than Mt Smart to me.

i didn't take any tone.

it's more ideal than mt smart, sure. but like i said in my original post, there are more logistics to it than just the stadium - like trucking in the entire set up from somewhere where they can actually use the cargo planes required for the stage, etc. ultimately if they played wellington everything would 99% likely have to pass through auckland anyway.

christchurch would fit the bill far better than wellington i'd believe - 41,000 seat stadium and an airport that can take planes bigger than lawn darts.

ITINERARY

That breaks down to:

CLAW ONE

CLAW TWO

I doubt they'd play suncorp stadium here in brizzy for afew reasons.

Firstly, theres a max of 2 or 3 concerts every year there because it is so close to the city and resendential areas, it may already be booked for next year.

Secondly (and most importantly), the ground at suncorp is literally a football field with 3 or 4 metres either side, its designed for football and i doubt the claw would fit on the suncorp field.

QSAAC (formerly ANZ) was designed as an athletics field and has more then enough room for the claw.

i didn't take any tone.

it's more ideal than mt smart, sure. but like i said in my original post, there are more logistics to it than just the stadium - like trucking in the entire set up from somewhere where they can actually use the cargo planes required for the stage, etc. ultimately if they played wellington everything would 99% likely have to pass through auckland anyway.

christchurch would fit the bill far better than wellington i'd believe - 41,000 seat stadium and an airport that can take planes bigger than lawn darts.

Your "I know you're in love with Wellington" remark seemed confrontational. I wouldn't suggest Wellington just because I'm in love with it. If I suggested cities because I'm in love with them, I'd give Melbourne three shows. Well, misunderstanding. In any case, if Wellington's a logistical pain in the arse, how is it getting any gigs at the Cake Tin? It must be a viable proposition for some bands - though I suppose they're bands not using a huge fucking claw.

I think it's fairly safe to say the South Island isn't getting a gig. It'd be sweet though.

Incidentally, Eden Park vs Mt Smart? The former has more capacity, but is it at all suited to concerts?

I doubt they'd play suncorp stadium here in brizzy for afew reasons.

Firstly, theres a max of 2 or 3 concerts every year there because it is so close to the city and resendential areas, it may already be booked for next year.

Secondly (and most importantly), the ground at suncorp is literally a football field with 3 or 4 metres either side, its designed for football and i doubt the claw would fit on the suncorp field.

QSAAC (formerly ANZ) was designed as an athletics field and has more then enough room for the claw.

Yeah, I'm fairly conscious of the gig restriction at Suncorp. Didn't the band initially try to get gigs there on Vertigo but got refused due to that? Either way, it's a MUCH better venue than ANZ and I'd damn well hope they're planning far enough in advance to use it. Anybody (Ian?) have an idea of how the available space compares to some of the narrower US stadiums that the band are playing this tour?

ANZ is just a fucking pig of a venue, complete prick to get to. I wonder how the 'Gabba fares? Has it ever even been used for concerts?

Ethiad Stadium?

Whats that? MCG?

Etihad Stadium is the new name of Docklands/Colonial Stadium/Telstra Dome.

suncorp would be fantastic i agree, but im unsure as to wether the claw would fit inside it......

You know it took me forever to work out what you guys meant by The claw ...it's the stage setup right!?! :nerd:

lol yes, its the thing that the band are using this time around to hold up the pa/lighting/video screen/fuck knows what else? lol

This is what is being reported in New Zealand today -

U2 could play in Wellington | Stuff.co.nz

I also just saw this on another forum, posted today -

I can give you all the most definitive information on this topic. I flew to Amsterdam and Dublin from Melbourne to see 5 shows ( 2 in Amsterdam and 3 in Dublin). I had Red Zone tickets for the 2nd show in Amsterdam and won backstage passes as one of the 10 highest bidders for the Red Zone tickets.

On the back stage tour I asked the host, who works full time for U2, whether they were coming to Australia in 2010. This was her reply:" the band is booked to play South America mid October 2010 and will more than likely be in Australia and New Zealand in November and early December 2010".

I fainted when she told me that - bloody superb. I have seen U2 25 times. The 360 Tour is the best yet - wait until you all here Ultra Violet - AMAZING. No line, Magnificent, Unknown Caller, disco version of Crazy, Breathe, Get On your Boots will blow your minds away live. Bad is now in the set list with Unforgettable - enough to make you cry. can not wait to here them in Australia.

There's a short video on this BBC webpage where Mark Fisher says that one tour leg will finish in Australia and another one in South America! So I'm guessing Oz in spring and South America in autumn.

haha i JUST came to post that :wink: i like how he just casually dropped that part of the tour will end in Australia. cue mass hysteria! :applaud:

ITINERARY

That breaks down to:

CLAW ONE

CLAW TWO

MCG rather than Etihad....bigger capacity and the 'round' shape of the stadium would be ideal for 360 IMO

U2 in Melbourne....yipppeeeeee :drool:

I was at The Croker for shows 1+2, MCG is the only place for this show its basically designed for a venue like the MCG, would be one of a few venues that the claw doesn’t "dwarf" the venue still the claw wouldn't be dwarfed either.

^ I read in the Sun Herald (Sydney version of same paper) that we could expect something in the first half of 2010 . . .trying to find the quote in online version of paper to no avail . . . but the article basically sounded like a rehash of the speculation here on interference :lol:

fingers crossed we'll find out soon enough :) :hyper:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom