August 30, 2010 - Ernst Happel Stadium, Vienna, Austria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4U2Play

Refugee
Vienna is one of my favorite cites in the world

This is also known as "Wiener Stadium", which is far better than "Ernst Happel"

ernst_happel_stadion_2_1024x768.jpg

U2 played a sold out show here on 2 July 2005 during the Vertigo Tour, attracting 55,645 spectators

ernst_happel_stadion_1_1024x768.jpg

Looks like it has a big overhang in the upper rows, shouldn't affect views of the video screens, though

2886811351_95f523a171_o.jpg

My city :cute:

Accoustics is horrible if you're in the upper stands, but lower stands and GA should be fine.

Of course I'll be there. Ticket sales were a catastrophe, but we all hope for a second show.

The stadium was originally called "Praterstadium" because of the green belt it's located in, it's still very much in the city center. It was the venue where the finale of the football European Championship took place in June 2008. Since that huge sports event took place in our city, there is a subway line going from the city directly to the stadium in about 10 minutes. It's the U2 and it gives a lot of people the opportunity for quite entertaining puns in connection with the U2 concert next year. :)

So happy they'll be back in our city.

Yeah I had two nights in Vienna on my way to Zagreb from Chorzow in the summer and I got a couple of snaps of the U2 metro. There are signs saying something like "U2 Stadium" - or did I dream that? Should make it very difficult for fans to get lost!

The stadium was originally called "Praterstadium" because of the green belt it's located in, it's still very much in the city center. It was the venue where the finale of the football European Championship took place in June 2008. Since that huge sports event took place in our city, there is a subway line going from the city directly to the stadium in about 10 minutes. It's the U2 and it gives a lot of people the opportunity for quite entertaining puns in connection with the U2 concert next year. :)

So happy they'll be back in our city.

Do you always need to copy Berlin? :tsk:

:wink:

Yeah! Concert in Vienna! One year! :drool:

Do you always need to copy Berlin? :tsk:

You think Berlin is the only city with public transport problems? :wink:

Your S-Bahn-dilemma is nothing compared to the ongoing drama concerning our soon-to-be-built Central train station and the public transport and traffic concepts that come with it ... or better, the lack of it.

Building and expanding underground lines is a real political theatre here. If only there wasn't so much money involved. The U2 line should have been ready much earlier. They were lucky to have been able to open the last station, which is the stadium, a couple of weeks before the Championships began. It was really ... well ... tight.

Yeah, I love that sign that says: U2 Stadion. I don't use the U2 line often these days, but I used it every day on my way to university. But back then there was no connection to the stadium. Whenever I see that sign, I feel really excited. I think I'll take a picture of it.

Yeah, I love that sign that says: U2 Stadion. I don't use the U2 line often these days, but I used it every day on my way to university. But back then there was no connection to the stadium. Whenever I see that sign, I feel really excited. I think I'll take a picture of it.

I took the U2-line in Berlin! :hyper:

Hopefully I can make it to Vienna too... Always wanted to visit this city :)

^ You may still be able to get tickets. The show is officially sold out, but a certain amount of tickets may still be sold. I'm pretty sure about that.
After all, it's almost 11 more months.

After the U2 Vertigo show in 2005, I had to walk home because I wasn't able to get into one of the trams that left from the stadium. It was chaotic. That was before the U2 opened.

Here are some pictures I took last winter when I was at the stadium. You don't see much of it, but it was a nice day and especially evening :lol:

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

Chilly pics! I got tix for Chorzow from a ticket drop after the main public sale so I'm gonna be listening for one of those.

You think Berlin is the only city with public transport problems? :wink:

Your S-Bahn-dilemma is nothing compared to the ongoing drama concerning our soon-to-be-built Central train station and the public transport and traffic concepts that come with it ... or better, the lack of it.

Building and expanding underground lines is a real political theatre here. If only there wasn't so much money involved. The U2 line should have been ready much earlier. They were lucky to have been able to open the last station, which is the stadium, a couple of weeks before the Championships began. It was really ... well ... tight.

Don't get me started on the U55. ;)

Well, I meant that you had a U2 subway line to the stadium where U2 will be playing. Totally copied from Berlin. When are you going to call one of your stations Bahnhof Zoo? :tsk:

:wink:

^ You may still be able to get tickets. The show is officially sold out, but a certain amount of tickets may still be sold. I'm pretty sure about that.
After all, it's almost 11 more months.

Oh well, we'll see I guess how things go... :)

Great pics by the way!

I already have my tickets :sexywink:

I hope I don't lose them, there's still so much time, it's surreal.

Btw, good thing about our stadium is: No stairs. You run straight in. Judging from the venue plans it seems the stage will be set up at the broad site of the stadium which is unusual.

So I'm just wondering who else is going to Vienna? I'm going solo so it would be great to meet up with other U2-fans. Any parties planned? I'm arriving Friday late night, so it would be cool to drop in at a gathering Saturday or Sunday ... :)

Well, it's still a long time - but always nice to make plans ... :)

I'm definately going though I haven't got the ticket yet. But I live just 60 km from Vienna so it's a must for me. I will probably buy the ticket just before the gig at the stadium.
And yes..gathering wouldn't be a bad idea..you've got first one for it:)

So ...

Not much activity here :) Then I'll just say: I'm :hyper: and I'm starting to figure out what I'm going to see in Vienna. Any recommendations? How's the acoustics on the stadium (I'm in GA) by the way?

Not much activity here :) Then I'll just say: I'm :hyper: and I'm starting to figure out what I'm going to see in Vienna. Any recommendations? How's the acoustics on the stadium (I'm in GA) by the way?

Eat lots of chocolate cake.

its amazing

Accoustics are decent in our stadium. It's okay when you're in GA and getting worse the farther you move up on the stands. There's a lot of echoing going on when you're having one of the cheaper seats.

There's a lot to see in Vienna, really a lot, especially if it's your first time :)

preparations on the way

The stadium is already being prepared for the show here in Vienna :up: Claw construction is said to begin today, though it's rainy here today. I have no idea when the band will arrive here, but media is already full with U2 stories, hype is massive. So exciting :hyper:

Since the stadium is not far from where I work, I'll go and check out things on Thursday, maybe I can take a few pictures of the Claw from outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom