August 30, 2010 - Ernst Happel Stadium, Vienna, Austria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The stadium is already being prepared for the show here in Vienna :up: Claw construction is said to begin today, though it's rainy here today. I have no idea when the band will arrive here, but media is already full with U2 stories, hype is massive. So exciting :hyper:

Since the stadium is not far from where I work, I'll go and check out things on Thursday, maybe I can take a few pictures of the Claw from outside.

Really? :hyper: That's cool :up: :) It would be great if you take some pics of the Claw :wave:

Just a little update about Vienna and for everyone going/coming to Vienna:

Wheather is going to be so/so, take some warm clothing, a raincoat, though Monday should be fine, at least in the afternoon/evening, but we have some strong winds here and now they can really cool the air down, it's practically fall. However, I'm sure we won't be freezing during the concert :)

Don't know anything about security measures concerning bottles and such, but cameras will be fine and 0.5 litre water bottles should be fine, too. I took them in for practically every concert I saw in that stadium. There are 2 GA entrances, both through a short tunnel, no steps. Usually the entrances are on the other side of the stadium, vis à vis of the stage:

U2TOUR.DE - Photo

I was at the stadium today. Vienna public transport is excellent, the metro line U2, of course easy to remember, takes you directly to the stadium, and they have a special system at large events where all the doors open and people are let in in certain intervals by security staff to avoid that the trains and platforms get too crowded.

Concert is officially sold out with a maximum capacity of 72.000, the biggest number of people in that stadium ever.

Claw is already being built, however no tip to see yet, only the cranes and the basic structure. And of course an awful lot of trucks in front of the stadium. Here are some pictures I took:

Metro: :)

IMG_2552a.jpg

IMG_2555a.jpg

IMG_2558a.jpg

Metro station at the stadium:

IMG_2561a.jpg

:lol:

Trucks:

IMG_2562.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

Construction work inside the stadium:

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

I have no idea when the band will arrive in Vienna or if they come here from Moscow directly. Rumours are saying they'll fly in from Nizza, maybe there will be a soundcheck on Sunday. We'll keep you updated.

Everyone coming to Vienna for the weekend already: Enjoy your trip and our beautiful city :wave:

Arrived yesterday .... It's truly a beatiful city and being a bit of a Mozart-fan, it surely is a treat being here. Went to the oper this evening - quite amazing (though what's happening with the camera-policies - you're not supposed to use flash during a classical concert!). Anyway, pretty excited about being here. So easy to get around and the city is oozing with (music)-history. I'm a fan! Tomorrow I think I'll go see the Jewish Museum, the former Jewish ghetto and a few churches ... The weather hasn't been great, it rained a little today, but the city is still beautiful - I hope it won't rain too much on Monday. I'm GA, but I won't arrive until 11am-1pm. Then the rain should have stopped ... otherwise very much looking forward to the concert!! :applaud: :up:

I'm coming too! I've got a GA ticket...
Funny enough, since this was such a busy year for me I almost forgot that I'm going to see U2 in Vienna! haha. Seems like ages ago when I bought the ticket last year.
And now seeing all these posts at u2 forums I'm getting excited. U2 again! yeah. :)
Can't wait on Monday. Hope to see you guys there. Some nicknames and avatars look familiar to me, and maybe we've actually seen each other somewhere last year.
So Vienna come on. :) I still haven't decided when to arrive at the stadium. I'm thinking about 9 or 10 am. What you think?
BTW does anyone know if U2 will stay in Vienna?

I don't think they'll be staying in Vienna, they aren't here right now, but maybe they'll stay after the concert.

Everyone, have a great time in Vienna, welcome :wave:

Don't worry, wheather won't be too bad on Monday, just bring some warm jackets, it's a little windy and not very warm, but that shouldn't be a problem :)

And even sometimes when it rains the atmosphere at the concert is even better. :)
I think we all will have a great time no matter the weather.

See you, :wave:

So ...

The rain pours down outside. Not exactly planning to go to the stadion right now. At my ticket it says 19.00 a'clock. I wonder when the band will go on? I hope it will be pretty soon. In Denmark first night they first went on at 21.30 ...

Hope the rain will stop soon ... looking forward to tonight!

Rain is going to stop, it's getting nicer here, still it will be a bit cold, but we can still dress wamely, that's not the problem. We're leaving in about an hour and will be at the stadium around 1.30 p. m. Gates open at 4, One Republic is expected to come on stage at about 7, U2 at about 8.45. Austrian media is full with U2 stories. Have a great show everyone :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom