To Be or Not To Be Geneorus... At the End of a Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you give up your spot by the rail for anyone?

• No! This spot is mine and asking me to move at any time is rude!

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Yes, but only if the person is height challenged (or really hot).

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Yes, but only at the end of the show.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No, but I may make exceptions depending on the situation.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Yes - I'm just a generous person and silly that way!

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
An interesting question. This is the first tour where we've had the Red Zone, and I haven't been in the Red Zone, so don't feel I can offer an opinion specifically about that.

As far as being short, and doing GA, there I can relate. I should state that I am 5'1" and I have done GA a number of times. Unless I am up close to the front of the pit/heart/inner circle, I usually have someone blocking my view. For the Chicago 2 concert, I was on the rail outside the inner circle, for the first time ever, and it was amazing to have an unobstructed view. I envy you tall types, but it's not your fault I'm short (that would be the DNA lottery). I would never ask a tall person to move out of my way. For all I know they camped out for days to get that spot, and they were there first, so that's fine by me. I am appalled to read that people would do that.

Having said this, I can also report that at several concerts where I've been in the GA crowd (not the inner circle/pit/heart), very kind taller gentlemen have insisted that I move in front of them. I often end up quite a ways in front of where I started, leaving my husband behind--he is 6'4" and always has a clear view, and doesn't like to block shorter people if he can help it. But I stress that I move in front of people only at their invitation, and sometimes insistence. I think anything else would be unforgivably rude. Probably some of the people reading this have let me in front of them.

I would like to say that I would be kind and give up my rail spot, but that is a tough one to be honest about. I certainly would for a child who is shorter than I am-I would just put them in front of me, as then we would both be able to see. But otherwise, I'm not sure. I slept on pavement in Honolulu and Barcelona to get up close, and waited all day for Chicago 2 for that rail spot. I doubt I am a decent enough person to just move over at the end of the show. And she should know better than to wear heels!

Just my two cents.

Boy I have a good story about giving up a rail spot at a non U2 show to a hot woman years ago. I was being generous of course and she was super cute. Between the excitement of the music and her in front of me something happened that naturally occurs with a guy being in close proximity to a woman. I was honestly embarrassed and politely explained to her that I was sorry. She politely knew that I didn't mean any harm and told me she understood. Later on I moved.

So all you ladies out there...be careful!

When I saw U2 in Montreal in 2005 I got a great spot on the rail, then these 2 girls who had been in the GA line a little bit behind me all day came right behind us. One of them was really short and I felt bad for her so I got my husband to move behind me so she could fit in on the rail... I guess it wasn't really me being generous since I didn't actually give up my spot :D but anyway, usually I wouldn't, especially not if somebody was being pushy about it...

Being 5'1", I need to be on the rail to have an unobstructed view, otherwise I'm trying to look over people's shoulders most of the night, even one row of people away. I know this is a risk of GA and I take it for the excitement of being in the thick of it all. I've had tall men offer to let me in front of them and it's been greatly appreciated, but never expected. If I want a rail spot, I line up for it. Simple as that :)

Boy I have a good story about giving up a rail spot at a non U2 show to a hot woman years ago. I was being generous of course and she was super cute. Between the excitement of the music and her in front of me something happened that naturally occurs with a guy being in close proximity to a woman. I was honestly embarrassed and politely explained to her that I was sorry. She politely knew that I didn't mean any harm and told me she understood. Later on I moved.

So all you ladies out there...be careful!

:|

have to admit that happened to me one time when this girl was in the front row along the rail....thing was, i was in the 4th row

HEY-O!!!!

-dan

i have never and will never do ga for a u2 show. however, basing this on when i do ga for other bands...no. maybe i'm heartless, but i got the prime spot by standing in line all day, which isn't easy for me to do with my feet. the height argument doesn't work for me either, i often go to concerts with my mom and she's only 5' tall. so no sorry, my mom gets to stand in front of me (if not next to me), and that's it.

however, i think i've only had one person ask me if they could get in front of me at a show. it was a guy who was at least four inches taller than me. no creepy gay guy, i'm not letting you in front of me so you can try to give jake shears your hat to "catch his sweat".

I wrote I wouldn't give up my spot.

Turns out I left Boston 2 show a touch early to see if I could beat the ridiculous Gillette stadium traffic (I failed). So I willingly gave up my spot so someone else could see (I knew what was coming, so I wasn't worried about "missing out").

But otherwise, I was at the rail all night and loved every minute. :yes:

I'll have to read all of this blurry-eyed on Thurs afternoon! :lol:

I voted No/ maybe situational excpetion. .... WHY???

I have been a u2 fan since 80/81....

I have seen them !live! since 83/84.... for
every tour except POP.

THe other 2 bands previous to U2 that I followed from middleb of earlyish in their carear (playing in USA in particular)
on into Super Fame...are The Who & Springsteen.

and for a bunch of years we got very good to amazing seats, or I was able to run up
with my camera
for good to FANTASTIC photos for BOTH of these bands!

back to u2>>>>>>

All these years... I ( & other friends w me) have never been able to either be UP CLOSE to U2 b/c

1) we always got so-so -toreally way up
in the eagle's nest seats NO MATTER how hard we tried!
(and by the time Zoo TV came around, and later
I didn't have the kind of money to be able to buy great
seats through a "ticket broker").

2) when GA started up- no mater how hard I tried (not
counting the $ issue) I still couldn't get a GA!

Today ( 9-023-09) through the generousity of an Interland :heart:
friend (who kept watching for NY Tix Drop) got me a
GA when they dropped --

will FINALLY be seeing
U2 up-close in concert for the first time!

SO.... it would have to be towards the end of the show...
for me to even consider letting someone in front of me.....

I've waited 26 years for this!!!!! :hyper:

if something like that hapens-- I'll post back here... :D

I have given up my spot for a much shorter girl. I'm not exceptionally tall at 5'11 but there are some chicas much shorter. Not guys though, sorry. She doesn't have to be necessarily hot. I think on this tour it's kindof a non-issue because of the height of the stage. If anything, a shorter person would see more if they were back a couple of people. When you're right up on the rail in the pit, the stage is so high that you don't see much, especially if you are short.

I vote no. Yeah, I feel bad, but it is what it is. My friend is 5 ft 1 and to guarantee we would have a rail spot, we lined up early. It's nice to have something to lean up against during the show and was especially helpful to me since I had a purse with a lot of things I needed to bring in with me( juice boxes, blood sugar testing kit, etc.) When I noticed people in back of me trying to get pics, I did lean the other way so they could. And I also noticed a short girl in back of me who was having trouble seeing. I did the same for her a few times during the show.

Kudos to those who are kind enough to give up the rail spot. I wouldn't. :lol:

I'm a very tall guy, so I usually don't have a problem with it, if they're small. But that's the the thing, at Gothenburg some guy who was about my height, maybe a little smaller, asked me if he could be in front... No way, not if it obstructs my view. I had been there probably several hours before him. Depends on how tall they are, and if they've been annoying up until the show.

HIGH-HEELED SHOES AT A ROCK CONCERT?!? :doh: I would have told her no solely based on that!!! If you want that good spot, put on some sunscreen and the running shoes....and, if you get there at 5 PM and ask to stand in front of me after I've waited 12+ hours, this:

punch.gif

Back
Top Bottom