September 23, 2009 - Giants Stadium New York - New York

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got back from U2 at Giants Stadium. Place was absolutely packed. So were the trains out there. Note to anyone going to Giants Stadium, ever. Do what I did - buy your penn station-Meadowlands train ticket the day before, or at lunch. It will take you an hour to get it at the station if you wait till "after work."

It rained a tiny bit during Walk On, and these little umbrellas came up to cover the gear. Was cool actually.

I like U2, and I think they are a good band with a good show. This was probably my least favorite of the 4 I've seen (one a tour since Pop).

It's a spectacular stage...but something about it seems kinda bullshit. They sell this as a (360) tour, but it's really just like any other open stage, like the Police last year. If you are behind the stage, you are watching them from behind most of the time.

Also...why don't they put this thing in the CENTER of the stadium instead of the end zone, and do a real "in the round" kinda thing. Doesn't make much sense to me, it would just mean repositioning some gear.

IMG_0192.sized.jpg

I had these "VIP Red Zone" tickets. They cost $250 each, but I bought a pair to scalp so got in for free. I gotta say, the VIP Red Zone is fool's gold. It sucks. You are right next to the stage, which is always a bad view, and these bridges move around and block your view. They also hardly ever come around to where you are.

IMG_0194.sized.jpg

IMG_0201.sized.jpg

So after a few songs we went to the GA area and watched from the 50 yard line center. Much better.

Some shirtless dude got up on stage and bono let him say hi to someone in the audience and "what do you think of my new tattoos?" This happened at another show in 2000, some guy climbed up on the ramp and told Bono "I'm only trying to have a good time!", with Bono responding "Me too."

IMG_0220.sized.jpg

The setlist...ehh hate to bitch, but it's way too much new shit I'd guess 65 percent of the setlist is post 2000, and that's just too much for a band like this. They don't want to admit it...and I guess neither does their audience. But this is the ONLY band that has been around this long and has such a large and loyal fanbase. Your average Stones concert attendee probably hasn't bought a new Stones album in 20 years or so. These U2 fans know all the words, even to the new shit.

The coolest song of the night was some deep cut from the Passengers album, which i used to use as a soundtrack to the silent movie Metropolis. Very cool.

The gayest moment of the night...or probably ever...was when the drummer did a bongo solo in the center of the front ramp, thrusting his pelvis about to and fro toward the crowd.

My summary - U2 is a great band...and a big band that can play these places. But I see them as a fantastic stadium spectacle show, like Pop, or an amazing arena band with a stripped down show, such as the last two tours.

IMG_0221.sized.jpg

This Claw tour...it's kind of in between, and I prefer this band going one way or the other. It's a "big" stadium show, but it's really not that spectacular once you get used to the size of it. And they should be playing more old shit, pure and simple.

IMG_0238.sized.jpg

There was some grumbling I think when they went "political." Telling us about a Burmese political prisoner, and have Desmond Tutu address the crowd via 360 video. But really very little...certainly no booing or anything...but there was probably a decent percentage of the crowd that could have done without it.

My favorite song of the night had to be the Passengers song...also the disco version of "Go Crazy Tonight" was great...it reminded me of Pop and Zooropa and all that stuff. Also cool to see planes coming in on approach to Newark airport all night, flying over us right to left.

Great review!

I bought tickets 2 days ago... still interested to see how this rail line works out.

Great review!

I bought tickets 2 days ago... still interested to see how this rail line works out.

Buy your train ticket in advance...if you don't you'll be sorry! It could save you an hour. Make the trip to Penn tomorrow at lunch and buy your meadowlands train ticket.

Exactly.

I actually think the original poster should have kept this "review" for him/herself. Nothing like people who are not real fans and come to a board only to post random thoughts on a U2 show without being able to name the band members or knowing the titles of certain songs. Some of the remarks seem really rude to me. U2 fans know the lyrics of the songs? Gasp. who would have thought. This is actually a U2 fan forum, dude.

And was that Tattoo Dan on stage?

Some of us like when "the drummer" thrusts his pelvis, makes us feel all warm and squishy inside.

(wonders how much the scalper charged so he could get in for free)

Yep, pretty sure it was Tattoo Dan, looked like him.

There wasn't as much new stuff as the reviewer claims. 4 songs from ATYCLB ("Beautiful Day", "Stuck in a Moment", "Elevation", "Walk On"), 2 songs from HTDAAB ("Vertigo", "City of Blinding Lights"), and 6 songs from NLOTH ("No Line on the Horizon", "Magnificent", "Moment of Surrender", "Crazy Tonight", "Get On Your Boots", "Breathe"). So 12/24 = 50%. Which is fair when you consider they have a new album out this year and had a bunch of hits earlier this decade.

The band was in fine form. The crowd, on the other hand, was awful. I've never seen such a dead crowd--even the front rail looked pretty dead but maybe they are all exhausted from the Boston shows...

I was in section 113 and the crowd around me seemed like a really good bunch, no sitters, drunks or dead-beats. Everyone was really into it without being totally obnoxious, guess I lucked out. In front of me was the cutest guy, you could tell he was madly in love with Bono and kept breaking out in Elaine Benes type dancing - not so easy to do in tight quarters but very entertaining. I had a power whistler behind me who stopped spitting in my ear when I had to wipe it with a napkin, but it's all good.

Note to fellow standing next to me, if you don't know the lyrics please don't screech random words along with the song. You're not Bono and people will laugh at you and make funny faces.

The band was in fine form. The crowd, on the other hand, was awful. I've never seen such a dead crowd--even the front rail looked pretty dead but maybe they are all exhausted from the Boston shows...

We were all seriously dead from the heat and humidity all day; there was no shade in the GA line at all! I actually got so sick after Muse and was totally dehydrated (even though i was sure to drink during the day). :sad: I honestly thought I was going to be one of those people that they have to pull out of the crowd and carry away (Sarah and I were front pit rail directly in front of Adam). I actually told her not to worry about me if that happens and just stay and enjoy the show because one of her best friends and his mom were directly behind us and her father & brother were in seats. It seriously sucked that the entire time U2 was right in front of me i couldn't help but think "Please don't puke in front of Bono!" It KILLED me that we had such a prime spot and i couldn't even enjoy it and jump around like I usually do!It was seriously stifling in the pit. :| Honestly though, I am shocked and pleased that I actually made it through without throwing up or passing out.

I had these "VIP Red Zone" tickets. They cost $250 each, but I bought a pair to scalp so got in for free. I gotta say, the VIP Red Zone is fool's gold. It sucks. You are right next to the stage, which is always a bad view, and these bridges move around and block your view. They also hardly ever come around to where you are.

I think that's the first bad review of Red Zone I've seen, and scalping them is not cool.

i've read a lot of people who say the crowd was subdued... i sure didn't notice it :shrug: i guess it depends on where you are, and with a venue so big, i'm sure there's bound to be a lot of "dead" sections. i was in the pitt and thought the crowd was great and had a ton of energy. :shrug:

i absolutely loved the fact that they shuffled the setlist around... still had the moments where you knew what songs were coming (the end and encores) but at the very least it added to the excitement and spontinaity of the show.

also i was quite comfortable the entire time... with a small exception of when three people from the Red Zone jammed there way into the pitt as the show began and tried pushing themselves against the back rail where i was standing next to a family of three, obnoxiously dancing like they were at a club or something. i don't mind jumping up and down, i do it myself. i don't mind gettin' down a little... but grinding up against your boyfriend/husband and bumping into the people behind you that have been holding those spots for a few hours is a bit much.

we pretty much held our ground and wouldn't let these three push their way in, and eventually they left and moved on. such "big" u2 fans, they were too... i saw them leave the pitt during ultraviolet. guess they wanted to beat the traffic.

anyhoo... aside from that two/three song stretch where those three trampled on my toes, it was incredibly comfortable on adam's side on the outer rail. it wasn't excessively hot at all, quite cool actually... and the rain drops midshow was a nice addition. dead center of the pitt looked like a mess... i guess everyone needs to see boner all the time

8428_162125880933_775510933_3711709_2994684_n.jpg

8428_162125920933_775510933_3711716_4012327_n.jpg

8428_162126040933_775510933_3711733_5236950_n.jpg

8428_162125960933_775510933_3711720_6289898_n.jpg

8428_162125955933_775510933_3711719_7923106_n.jpg

8428_162126060933_775510933_3711737_1790789_n.jpg

8428_162126190933_775510933_3711756_6863176_n.jpg

8428_162126260933_775510933_3711767_5209849_n.jpg

8428_162126290933_775510933_3711773_3934396_n.jpg

8428_162126420933_775510933_3711795_5029243_n.jpg

the dude who was complaining about the view and the bridges from the Red Zone... i dunno. i pretty much had the same view and i loved it. i would have gladly switched and taken your Red Zone bracelets so that i could drink all i want and make use of the pissers by the stage instead of having to go all the way outside the venue to take a leak... which is exactly why i didn't drink. it takes too long to get to the bathrooms and back and i didn't wanna miss anything.

I was in section 113 and the crowd around me seemed like a really good bunch, no sitters, drunks or dead-beats. Everyone was really into it without being totally obnoxious, guess I lucked out. In front of me was the cutest guy, you could tell he was madly in love with Bono and kept breaking out in Elaine Benes type dancing - not so easy to do in tight quarters but very entertaining. I had a power whistler behind me who stopped spitting in my ear when I had to wipe it with a napkin, but it's all good.

Note to fellow standing next to me, if you don't know the lyrics please don't screech random words along with the song. You're not Bono and people will laugh at you and make funny faces.
I think this is my favorite review of all. Sounds like you had a good time though.

We were all seriously dead from the heat and humidity all day; there was no shade in the GA line at all! I actually got so sick after Muse and was totally dehydrated (even though i was sure to drink during the day). :sad: I honestly thought I was going to be one of those people that they have to pull out of the crowd and carry away (Sarah and I were front pit rail directly in front of Adam). I actually told her not to worry about me if that happens and just stay and enjoy the show because one of her best friends and his mom were directly behind us and her father & brother were in seats. It seriously sucked that the entire time U2 was right in front of me i couldn't help but think "Please don't puke in front of Bono!" It KILLED me that we had such a prime spot and i couldn't even enjoy it and jump around like I usually do!It was seriously stifling in the pit. :| Honestly though, I am shocked and pleased that I actually made it through without throwing up or passing out.

How awful Circa. I really feel bad for you cause I'm sure you were so looking forward to the gig. Did you get to enjoy it at all??

the only time i've waited in line all day for GA was at Philly during Vertigo... and while i loved the show, i left with sunburn, dehydration, shin splints and a pounding headache... and pretty much didn't want to speak to anyone or do anything other than pass out afterwords.

so totally not worth it. especially on this tour... just walked right into the pitt, and was probably only 10-15 feet, or less, from people who had been waiting outside in the sun since 8 in the morning.

I think this is my favorite review of all. Sounds like you had a good time though.

I had an incredible time, like most of us I love these guys for more than just the music. The audience is such a huge part of the U2 experience, for those coupla hours it's a huge lovefest. We're all part of the same family, some of us are annoying and disfunctional, but in the end we really are all one.

I must have been pretty close to you Headache Suitcase guy, I was at the outer rail area in the pit on Adam's side at the start of the show.

I got into the pit at 8:15pm!

I missed Muse cos I had to wait for a friend of a friend to arrive in his car (who parked about a mile from the stadium) so I could leave my bag there cos they'd banned all backpacks from the stadium. And I was soooo looking forward to seeing them too. Hopefully tonight.

But I walked straight into the pit when I finally got into the stadium. My new challenge is to see how late I can get into the pit. It was 7:50pm at Boston 2, and now 8:15pm at New York 1.

I thought the noise coming down from the stands was absolutely deafening, it was one of the loudest audiences I've heard. I moved out the field during NYD, and then to the back centre after Walk On and the noise from the crowd was still insane. The stadium has a perfect shape for a decibel-tastic 360 show.

Some random observations:

- the view from the side of the pit (and I suspect a large chunk of the Red Zone) is pretty rubbish, I'd rather be out in the centre of the field

- Bono led a jam of a Bruce Springsteen song for his 60th bday which merged into Desire and back again, although Headache suggests it was soundchecked so this may not have been as spontaneous as it first appears

- I didn't see the point of bringing Tattoo Dan with tattoos up onstage tbh, has he been up there before?

- the atmosphere was fantastic during the big hits like Mysterious Ways and ISHFWILF, the whole stadium looked like it was on its feet for the whole show

- Bono had a few voice probs, he sang the opening lines of MLK a few times trying to get it right (although he was playing with his earpiece too so maybe he had some sound probs), but when he found the key he wanted it was beautiful

- there was a spontaneous jam of Don't Stop Till You Get Enough after Beautiful Day for Quincey Jones who was in the audience (although I think it segued more fluidly after Desire earlier in the tour)

- Bono releases himself from his self-imposed exile and now joins the rest of the band out on the outer stage during Crazy Tonight which makes some lovely shots of all the band interacting with each other and the audience

- a lot of people left after Streets, the fools

the only time i've waited in line all day for GA was at Philly during Vertigo... and while i loved the show, i left with sunburn, dehydration, shin splints and a pounding headache... and pretty much didn't want to speak to anyone or do anything other than pass out afterwords.

so totally not worth it. especially on this tour... just walked right into the pitt, and was probably only 10-15 feet, or less, from people who had been waiting outside in the sun since 8 in the morning.

Yeah, but aren't you at least 6' tall? Unfortunately, that's not a great option for us because we are so short (we're both only 5'). If we were taller, maybe that would work for us. It's really not so much fun catching glimpses of the band between other people's heads and hands.

Some of us like when "the drummer" thrusts his pelvis, makes us feel all warm and squishy inside.

(wonders how much the scalper charged so he could get in for free)

Yep, pretty sure it was Tattoo Dan, looked like him.

Hehe...I understand that. I just thought it was kinda funny to see Larry out there bongoing.

I scalped em for $450 a piece, so my friend and I got to go free. I'm entitled to make a profit and I sold em on ebay so the market decided. Sorry if you think that's wrong but I'm a capitalist - every single human on the planet had a chance to buy these tickets via the TM auction. The person who bought them from me was paying a fee for his own laziness or ignorance of the process.

I've done it myself - I buy tickets in the aftermarket all the time.

And like I said, the Red Zone is garbage anyway. I hate side views and that's all it is, with the bridge blocking your view half the time. They also closed the concession stand by showtime...not like it mattered, I just wandered out to the GA area and got my drinks, the lines were very short by showtime.

I'm sorry some of you guys didn't like my review. I love U2 and I'll always see them, once a tour, and I'm just trying to give my honest non-superfan review. I guess you guys just like reading page after page of "It was fantastic the best time of my life!"

Variety is the spice of life folks!

Anyway if anyone is going tonight have a great time...and PLEASE remember to buy your train tickets early and don't lollygag. If you are on a train to Secaucus by 6:30, you should be fine. I was and the trip only took an hour.

I've seen a lot of the tours UF, JT, AB, Pop, Vertigo (missed ATYCLB) but last nights show was right up there. The band sounded and looked great. The claw is amazing and entertaining. My seats were kind of on an angle behind stage but the views were still good and the band were really good about going back there a lot. During SBS Larry's drumkit was turned around and he was playing to behind stage and Adam and Edge followed him so that was really cool. But these sections were pretty dead. No movement so disappointing and the lame-o's would sit on slow songs!! SITTING during Blue Room and Walk On. Come on now. That's why I hate these big venues you get random people that just want to take a gander at U2--but this has been happening since AB Tour. So be it. People left before Moment of Surrender which was a really nice ending but I'm sure they were glad they got the jump on traffic :| The band did a really great version of Ultraviolet Edge was really wailing away and so great to hear Unforgettable Fire again although B's vocals were kind of shot for this one. And I believe that most fans think Larry hitting the bongo was an absolute treat.

I'm sorry Circa. But there's always next time! U2!!!!!!!

There wasn't as much new stuff as the reviewer claims. 4 songs from ATYCLB ("Beautiful Day", "Stuck in a Moment", "Elevation", "Walk On"), 2 songs from HTDAAB ("Vertigo", "City of Blinding Lights"), and 6 songs from NLOTH ("No Line on the Horizon", "Magnificent", "Moment of Surrender", "Crazy Tonight", "Get On Your Boots", "Breathe"). So 12/24 = 50%. Which is fair when you consider they have a new album out this year and had a bunch of hits earlier this decade.

Here's my problem with the setlist...they are ALWAYS going to play the big chestnuts from Joshua Tree. They are always gonna play One and Mysterious Ways. And every tour, there is a brand new album they are going to insist on playing 6-8 songs from.

So what gets squeezed out? THe stuff *I* really want to hear - more from Atchung, Zooropa, and even 3 or 4 from Pop. They NEVER play any of that stuff. Instead I get a ton of stuff from the last three albums that I could live without.

And nothing like "I will Follow." And every album it gets worse...for me. More "new stuff," less classics, and the stuff I love from the 1990s always gets squeezed out.

So blahblah, setlist bitching is always gonna be a part of any band discussion. I'm sure plenty of people love what they are doing now, but you have to know U2 WILL do a proper "greatest hits" tour one of these days.

And it will be HUUUUGE.

And by the way...my favorite song of the night was the passengers tune.

Is that fanboy enough for you? Who even owns that thing?! It was a real treat, and something I never thought I'd hear live. I love what U2 was doing in the 1990s.

Exactly.

I actually think the original poster should have kept this "review" for him/herself. Nothing like people who are not real fans and come to a board only to post random thoughts on a U2 show without being able to name the band members or knowing the titles of certain songs. Some of the remarks seem really rude to me. U2 fans know the lyrics of the songs? Gasp. who would have thought. This is actually a U2 fan forum, dude.

And was that Tattoo Dan on stage?

Really? Cause when I signed up I missed the disclaimer that said "This forum is for superfans only with no sense of humor, no honest or different opinions are allowed."

Sorry, I'll check the sign up sheet again.

Back
Top Bottom