September 21, 2009 - Gilette Stadium Foxboro - Massachusetts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw both shows.... first one from GA which was great, but I actually liked the 2nd show much better from sec 204 because the set list was awesome! Best one yet! And I felt U2 was on fire, angry after The Boston Globe gave them a bad review.

Of course I just talked to my brother who never seen them and said he thought "coldplay was better." I was like " you just stabbed me in the heart." Of course he was behind the stage and never saw them before, so I feel they missed most of the fun. Still kills me. It's like when you tell someone to watch your favorite TV show and it's the worst episode ever!

They should have saw them last tour when it was more intimate.

Anyway -- I loved the show. It was best one of the tour. I saw them London 1 too...

Thanks! I just wish they came over to that side more. But I'm pretty happy just being that close-one of the best shows I've seen this year

A dissenting vote! Definitely my least enjoyable U2 show.

I sat up in the 300s... place was 2/3 full, everyone was sitting down, no-one was singing... was like watching the Imax but with a worse view... the sound was awful, echoey and unintelligible. I couldn't understand the lyrics nor Bono's comments between songs.... I've watched a bunch of youtube videos today to see "ah, that's what he was saying"...

I realize the experience is different for everyone. This is not a bash at U2 - probably more of a warning to not go see stadium shows in the upper level. The 360 stage is no magic cure for the fact that if you want that awesome high of a live show, gotta be close IMO.

And, this'll surely get me flamed, but I had just seen Coldplay two nights earlier and the crowd was WAY more into it. Now, granted that was Wembley which is home base but surely Boston is kind-of a home base. I was surpised at how empty it was and how unmotivated everyone was. Great band, great weather... everyone just seemed meh.

From my experience I do believe it was being in the upper level. I had lower level seats the second night and it was like night and day. The crowd on Monday were 1,000x more energetic. Everyone was standing, singing, raising their arms and obviously having the blast. The majority of the crowd in my upper level section on Sunday were very subdued, and for lack of a better word, boring. I heard comments from some of them at the end that the show was good, but I would never have imagined it from their lack of participation.

I guess it really does matter where you are.

For those who are experienced GA'ers, where are the best spots to be if youre short (5'3). What are the pros & cons of different areas?

I'll post my full review later, but please don't bash Melissa. She is one of the nicest people I have ever met and we all should be happy for her.

Hey Laura, thanks for the clarification regarding my FLAG as it was not at towel...."It was the city of Boston flag. It belongs to Boston Michelle and without her help and few others we would have never been allowed to lineup before 3pm".

For those that appreciated the fan line. You are very welcome - see you in 2010!

I am not a fan of Bono pulling up girls to dance with but I have few things to say about him bringing up Melissa...She did not ask to be picked out of the crowd. He asked for her. It looked like she tried to leave but Bono told her to stay put as he directed "the show" including calling out for the bridges to bring them together. I had a great time watching her.

side note: My mate lost his pair of tickets on the day of BOS2. Melissa was standing next to us when we were scrambling over the loss. I can only assume she passed the word on about his loss and within the hour a fellow fan came up to me and spoke the words "I have something that you lost". When she got picked to go up on stage we looked at each other and called it U2 Karma!

Cheers from Bahston

GA spots

I guess it really does matter where you are.

For those who are experienced GA'ers, where are the best spots to be if youre short (5'3). What are the pros & cons of different areas?

I can only speak from the two Boston shows I was at, but being 5'4" and hearing different things about the height of the stage, I was concerned about the "vision over visibility". ;) (sorry, couldn't resist)

Anyway, night 1 I was about 6 people back directly in front of Edge, and night 2 I was in the "Ground Zero" crowd almost directly center, slightly on Adam's side. I had absolutely no problems seeing either night. Yes, you're looking up at the stage, but I think the only problem would have been if somebody really tall was in front of me.

Hope this helps!

But context is needed here. I don't think the statement shouldn't be taken literally.

I do want to give props to the line captains who literally took days out of their lives and organized the lines.

You meet so many great fans @ the shows from Interland and new fans-plus old acquaintances.
I wanna say it was great to meet the following people and forgive me if I forget to mention a few of you, my memory is funky these days:

Cleasi
Dedi
Nelle
DayGlowEyes
BonoIshot
UKTan
Digsy
Dr Who
DreamChaser
U2 Florida Fan
OSF
Ramblin Rose
Cruzilla
Boston Michelle
Boston Anne, her friend and kids
Shane
PopMarty
Noel
Jaimie from Kentucky
Melissa from Spain who is Venezuelan and got pulled up.

and a bunch of new ppl..

God Bless you all and thanks to those who watch over JesseU2, he's my good friend, and I worry about him sometimes.

<>

Diamond, it is always a pleasure to watch over our beautiful friend Jesse. I am so happy Bono gave him a shout out! Jesse inspired me to tour Europe on the 360 tour, for that I thank him!

Cheers from God's Country
Captain Boston Michelle

wow, i didn't realise there were so many interferencers around me at these shows.
tripletmom - i was the girl in front of you on the line... i still feel bad about the ticket scanning fiasco even though i know the problem wasn't my ticket but the doofus guy doing the scanning! we got great spots though and i enjoyed talking to you during the day and at the show.
DayGlowEyes - good to see you in Boston again, hope you had a good show.
Diamond - pleasure to meet you, thanks for helping jesse get in that night.
Jesse - you're a legend! The front rail is all the better for having you on it!

And thanks to everyone who helped us set the wristband thing up on the first night and carry it into the second night. It wouldn't have worked if people hadn't let us try make it work. I know once we were in the main queue there were issues with people pushing up from behind, but hopefully we made the initial process a little easier and helped people avoid having to camp out overnight.

now, who is this Boston Michelle... never heard of her :wink:

oh yes, Boston were my last gigs (for this leg/year anyway)
I racked up 11 this year which is actually my lucky number, and boy was it a lucky number 11 on Monday night!
a show unlike any other (bar one) and absolutely the best show I saw on the tour, I hardly have words to describe it. I keep on remembering little bits and pieces which make me laugh/smile/cry.
Melissa is a legend as well - that was amazing to see! For those of you who couldn't see, when Bono called her up she originally shook her head and said no, but she was soon being hauled over the barrier by security (helped by diamond!) and it was fantastic!

All in all, two great night in Boston... sorry i mean Foxborough!

I thought the set list was weak although wayy better than night one. I nearly peed when I heard bono singing lines from Mofo at the beginning of City of blinding Light. I'm very happy they left out Pride. if i never hear that song live again i will be very content.

Did anyone else notice that Adam's bass was very low? Or was it where I was standing?

Yes, that's what made this gig so special for me. I was part of "Ground Zero." The Japanese girls were really cute, so excited that Bono wanted their horns. I think they may have even been crying...they were right behind me.

Where were you standing? I'm sure i saw you but can't put a face and a name together.

wow, i didn't realise there were so many interferencers around me at these shows.
tripletmom - i was the girl in front of you on the line... i still feel bad about the ticket scanning fiasco even though i know the problem wasn't my ticket but the doofus guy doing the scanning! we got great spots though and i enjoyed talking to you during the day and at the show.
DayGlowEyes - good to see you in Boston again, hope you had a good show.
Diamond - pleasure to meet you, thanks for helping jesse get in that night.
Jesse - you're a legend! The front rail is all the better for having you on it!

And thanks to everyone who helped us set the wristband thing up on the first night and carry it into the second night. It wouldn't have worked if people hadn't let us try make it work. I know once we were in the main queue there were issues with people pushing up from behind, but hopefully we made the initial process a little easier and helped people avoid having to camp out overnight.

now, who is this Boston Michelle... never heard of her :wink:

I didn't realize you were on interference.
No worries about the ticket scanning fiasco although I never came so close to slugging someone (the scanner guy!). The pint of Guiness I had once inside calmed me down.
I have great photos on facebook so pm me if you'd like to see-I'm too daft to do it through interference.
Also-congrats on getting the moist set list. Too funny!!!!!!

Hey Laura, thanks for the clarification regarding my FLAG as it was not at towel...."It was the city of Boston flag. It belongs to Boston Michelle and without her help and few others we would have never been allowed to lineup before 3pm".

For those that appreciated the fan line. You are very welcome - see you in 2010!

I am not a fan of Bono pulling up girls to dance with but I have few things to say about him bringing up Melissa...She did not ask to be picked out of the crowd. He asked for her. It looked like she tried to leave but Bono told her to stay put as he directed "the show" including calling out for the bridges to bring them together. I had a great time watching her.

side note: My mate lost his pair of tickets on the day of BOS2. Melissa was standing next to us when we were scrambling over the loss. I can only assume she passed the word on about his loss and within the hour a fellow fan came up to me and spoke the words "I have something that you lost". When she got picked to go up on stage we looked at each other and called it U2 Karma!

Cheers from Bahston

Maybe the person was referring to the towel pulled up on night one (with the Irish logo)
I'm glad you got your flag back. Are you wrapped up in it as a dress today at work?

Actually tripletmom I'm not sure you are who I'm thinking you are. Do you really have triplets or do you have 3 children? Are you the girl with the poster for Bono?

Here are the ridiculous amount of pictures I took.

Sunday night, 6th row in front of Edge: Picasa Web Albums - Melissa - U2 Gillette N...

Monday, 2nd row close to center stage, Adam's side, from "Ground Zero": Picasa Web Albums - Melissa - What Bono Loo...

These photos are AMAZING! I had a great spot on the outer rail, but would have loved to have gotten pics like these. My camera can do it, but not unless I was a sclose as you-what kind of camera do you have?

The sound at the 200 level was spectacular

My friend who I went with on the 20th said the same thing, she was in 204. I've read tons of complaints online on the newspaper sites, etc. about the sound on the 300 level. People actually left and found other places to stand like the lighthouse bridge where it was much better-so I would never sit in the 300's there if I had a seat. A security person told her that the delay in letting people in Sunday night was due to Bono not being happy with the sound-so I don't think they improved it that much. Thanks for reviewing the music :)

These photos are AMAZING! I had a great spot on the outer rail, but would have loved to have gotten pics like these. My camera can do it, but not unless I was a sclose as you-what kind of camera do you have?

Thanks! It's just a standard point-and-shoot digital camera, but the key is the 10x optical zoom. I don't have it with me today at work so I don't know the exact model number, but it's a Panasonic Lumix with a Leica lens. I can send you the details when I get home if you like.

Also, if there are any specific pictures you want - although you can download from Picasa they're compressed - let me know, and I can email you full-size images. (That goes for anyone, btw - just PM me your email and the photo numbers.)

I have video of Bono wearing the horns :hyper:. I'm at work today-boy does THAT get in the way! :) But I'll upload that video and post the link to youtube tonight.
Fun to come on here and hear the backstories behind things I saw from my spot on the catwalk front rail!

Which one of your vids has he got the horns on? :hmm:

Diamond, it is always a pleasure to watch over our beautiful friend Jesse. I am so happy Bono gave him a shout out! Jesse inspired me to tour Europe on the 360 tour, for that I thank him!

Cheers from God's Country
Captain Boston Michelle

Michelle,

Again thanks to you, digsy, UKTan for handling things and for your compassion for our rock star friend Jesse.

I had a great time hanging w PopMarty too.

God Bless you guys.

Hope to see you again.

*hugs*

<>

As far as the show goes, I don't have too much to add to what has already been said. I like everyone else here immediately knew something was up when all 4 hit the stage together, and to get Magnificent as an opener was a special treat. I really do feel that this was a much better show than night 1, and they definitely played with alot more energy.

By Still haven't found on Sunday, Bono was sweating a little but still speaking fine, by the same time monday, he was soaking wet and out of breath!! I agree with those who say that they were pissed off about the Globe review, it definitely showed!

YBR, Until the end of the world(best version I have ever heard, thank you Melissa!!), Stay and Vertigo were highlights for me.

Took the night off work and went to this one. I was in section 204 and the crowd around me was great(at least I thought so at the beginning!), and looked even better and more energetic down on the floor.

Now for something you probably have not heard yet. I overheard a discussion backstage earlier in the day between the soundboard technicians. They said that the guys were talking about Boston crowds in general, and obviously their reputation as being the most enthusiastic. Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry or Paul McGuiness(I am assuming these are the "guys" they would be talking about) had told them that if the crowd was up and screaming "one more song" and not leaving the stadium after MOS, they were coming back for Out of Control and 40! It ended with one telling the other to "pencil both in, and get both ready." I almost jumped out of my skin!

Needless to say, I was SO PISSED when everyone started leaving after Walk On! I had never seen this before at a Boston show and traffic is no excuse! The infrastructure down there sucks, there are 65K people in there, you are waiting NO MATTER what time you leave.

To add insult to injury, some lady actually felt the need to tap me on the shoulder as she was leaving and tell me that there are floor tickets available next time I want to stand the entire show!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her husband had told my mom to sit down during Magnificent, and she just told him to stand up. I was so upset(I am normally very easy going) I decided to light into her during the Tutu video. I asked her what 99% of the people in the stadium were doing standing if we weren't supposed to be doing it, told her it was obvious she had never been to a U2 concert in her life and that if she wanted to sit down, she could buy the DVD of the tour. Has anyone ever experienced this at a U2 show???

I was so pissed knowing the fans were blowing 2 more songs, then to have that obnoxious lady yell at me on the way out of the stadium. I told my mom maybe U2 should go home as these fans obviously dont appreciate that they were working their asses off and showing it monday night. The rest of the show was great, but I was really upset and it lost momentum for me. The crowd was great, then I feel like they unilaterally killed what was destined to become the best show of the tour.

Still greatly enjoyed it, and I met up with a bunch of friends in the parking lot afterward.

Looking forward to next summer, and hopefully more real fans at the shows!

I know what you mean. I was front row outside the circle, elipse, heart, whatever. and I was jumping up and down for every song and felt like the people behind me weren't. This was my one show this year and I drove 5 hrs from Philly and WAS NOT going to not have a good time.

Now for something you probably have not heard yet. I overheard a discussion backstage earlier in the day between the soundboard technicians. They said that the guys were talking about Boston crowds in general, and obviously their reputation as being the most enthusiastic. Bono, Edge, Adam, Larry or Paul McGuiness(I am assuming these are the "guys" they would be talking about) had told them that if the crowd was up and screaming "one more song" and not leaving the stadium after MOS, they were coming back for Out of Control and 40! It ended with one telling the other to "pencil both in, and get both ready." I almost jumped out of my skin!

Oh nooooooooo!!!! That would have been AMAZING. I guess we can't look back with any regrets, because obviously if we're here we did all we could to be an enthusiastic crowd, and we can't change the people who were more concerned about making it out of the parking lot. Monday's show was still unbelievable. And I'm sorry some lady asked you to sit down - that's insane. Who goes to a U2 concert to sit?

As far as the show goes, I don't have too much to add to what has already been said. I like everyone else here immediately knew something was up when all 4 hit the stage together, and to get Magnificent as an opener was a special treat. I really do feel that this was a much better show than night 1, and they definitely played with alot more energy.

By Still haven't found on Sunday, Bono was sweating a little but still speaking fine, by the same time monday, he was soaking wet and out of breath!! I agree with those who say that they were pissed off about the Globe review, it definitely showed!

YBR, Until the end of the world(best version I have ever heard, thank you Melissa!!), Stay and Vertigo were highlights for me.

Took the night off work and went to this one. I was in section 204 and the crowd around me was great(at least I thought so at the beginning!), and looked even better and more energetic down on the floor.

Needless to say, I was SO PISSED when everyone started leaving after Walk On! I had never seen this before at a Boston show and traffic is no excuse! The infrastructure down there sucks, there are 65K people in there, you are waiting NO MATTER what time you leave.

To add insult to injury, some lady actually felt the need to tap me on the shoulder as she was leaving and tell me that there are floor tickets available next time I want to stand the entire show!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her husband had told my mom to sit down during Magnificent, and she just told him to stand up. I was so upset(I am normally very easy going) I decided to light into her during the Tutu video. I asked her what 99% of the people in the stadium were doing standing if we weren't supposed to be doing it, told her it was obvious she had never been to a U2 concert in her life and that if she wanted to sit down, she could buy the DVD of the tour. Has anyone ever experienced this at a U2 show???

I was so pissed knowing the fans were blowing 2 more songs, then to have that obnoxious lady yell at me on the way out of the stadium. I told my mom maybe U2 should go home as these fans obviously dont appreciate that they were working their asses off and showing it monday night. The rest of the show was great, but I was really upset and it lost momentum for me. The crowd was great, then I feel like they unilaterally killed what was destined to become the best show of the tour.

Still greatly enjoyed it, and I met up with a bunch of friends in the parking lot afterward.

Looking forward to next summer, and hopefully more real fans at the shows!

They were close to playing Drowning Man, 3 of us had signs on the front rail.
Bono paused and tried to confer w the band, but couldn't persuade them.

Sad.

<>

Back
Top Bottom