September 21, 2009 - Gilette Stadium Foxboro - Massachusetts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The horns came from two Japanese girls who were right next to me - they were each wearing a pair and Bono saw them and asked for them, so one of the girls threw them to him. He tried to wear them for a while but I think the headband part was pretty small and kept sliding off of his head :)

I think it was Jesse - don't be stealing his thunder! Just look how excited he is in that pic you posted! :applaud:

Yes, Bono locked on to Jess quite a bit-the kid deserves it.
Vertigo Bono looked at me a bit.:ohmy:

It was great to visit w you John.

<>

i was only @ the 2nd show for the 1st three songs, but i saw the 1st Boston show on Sunday and he definitely brought someone out on the walkway ('bright lights').

I wrote he did not bring up a WOMAN each show but that he did bring up children. That is what he did on Sunday. A young girl was brought on stage. The second Boston show is the first of the four shows I saw him bring up (and subsequently flirt) with a woman (i.e., someone who looks older than 18).

I wrote he did not bring up a WOMAN each show but that he did bring up children. That is what he did on Sunday. A young girl was brought on stage. The second Boston show is the first of the four shows I saw him bring up (and subsequently flirt) with a woman (i.e., someone who looks older than 18).

I beleive Ali has put the word out to Bono. No women on stage slow dancing....... Kids Only..... Middle age sucks...:sexywink:

Anyway..that's a lovely idea and all that, about what U2 is all about-but people are just people and the GA has definitely created and/or brought out ugly qualities in some people. Sometimes, for some people, it has become a competition about getting close and getting attention and whatever they have to do to get that-cheat, be rude and even physical, whatever. It is all about me for some people, and being a U2 fan doesn't change that one bit. I overheard someone in line saying that she would "take down" anyone who tried to get a front spot before she got it. So if that gives you any idea. I've seen and heard about numerous things like this since they started GA-it's nothing new but it is escalating. That's why I stayed by the soundboard and in the back this time around, and I had a great time. I just can't deal with that bs. I also saw several people cutting the line after I had been waiting there for a few hours. Not cool.

But context is needed here. I don't think the statement shouldn't be taken literally.

I do want to give props to the line captains who literally took days out of their lives and organized the lines.

What's with these dorks, anyway? The "it's all about me" attitude is so counter to what U2 is all about.

It's sad and clumsy when ppl try and cheat their way in.

We saw a cpl in the pit enter very very late right before Snow Patrol came on and actually tried to finagle their way to 3rd row center on Edge's side. After 10 minutes of no success they were rightfully booed out by the crowd.
I think they went closer to the rear of the pit.

You meet so many great fans @ the shows from Interland and new fans-plus old acquaintances.
I wanna say it was great to meet the following people and forgive me if I forget to mention a few of you, my memory is funky these days:

Cleasi
Dedi
Nelle
DayGlowEyes
BonoIshot
UKTan
Digsy
Dr Who
DreamChaser
U2 Florida Fan
OSF
Ramblin Rose
Cruzilla
Boston Michelle
Boston Anne, her friend and kids
Shane
PopMarty
Noel
Jaimie from Kentucky
Melissa from Spain who is Venezuelan and got pulled up.

and a bunch of new ppl..

God Bless you all and thanks to those who watch over JesseU2, he's my good friend, and I worry about him sometimes.

<>

Hey U2 floridaFan. It was great to meet you and your husband. Sorry I won't be there at Tampa but I'll be thinking how fantastic a time you'll be having while I'm sleeping off my uncle's wedding in bleedin Belgium:sad::sad::depressed::depressed::depressed::doh::doh:

I'd love to be in Belgium...any other date but October 9th :D. Have fun. What a great gig Bos 2 was!!

And a special thanks to ramblinrose for waiting in the lot for me on Monday night and for the hysterical ride back to the hotel. I still have 4 of those apricot/almond muesli bars. I could bring one to Tampa for you. And a special thanks goes out to Garmin. We couldn't have done it without you...or maybe we could have done it better without you.

Remind me not to put you in charge of snacks. :wink:

p.s. You hurt Garmin's feelings. :|

I can't wait to receive the survey from Ticketmaster regarding my Gillette Stadium experience. :happy:

I'm kind of a fair-weather U2 fan. I was here on Interference a bit when HTDAAB came out, then disappeared and really kind of "moved on" past U2. Discovering bands like Arcade Fire, TV on the Radio, etc. made U2 seem kind of past-their-prime and mediocre. Of course when NLOTH came out, I quickly got back into the band for a bit, but it kind of fell by the wayside as summer rolled around and I didn't make any effort to buy concert tickets.

Then a week ago, I was talking to a friend and we discovered a mutual affection for U2. Started discussing their back catalog, albums, and the sort of things you can only discuss with other hardcore fans. We realized - hey, they're going to be 5 hours south of us in Boston next week. Let's get tickets and go for it!

We got to the stadium around 6pm and managed to find a spot in the pit in front of Adam, one row off the back rail. This ended up being a wise choice - although we could have gone closer in, there was so much less stress staying near the outer rail, not having to worry about people squeezing in front of you. Plus there was more room to hop around and jump without getting smashed.

Anyway, while waiting for U2 to come out, it felt strange. Here I was at a concert I didn't even plan on being at just a week before. My two previous experiences during Vertigo Tour had included months of agonizing waits, lurking during setlist parties, full days spent in GA lines, and extreme anticipation. This time, I didn't really know what they would play, and really didn't feel any sort of overwhelming anticipation. More of a "this should be a fun night" instead of "FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY IT'S HERE!" And I expected to have a good time, then head back north and move on.

I don't know what happened. Sometime between GOYB (which was way better live than I expected), ISHFWILF, and Elevation, I was back in the zone. Instead of just nodding along and clapping, I was jumping, yelling, and singing as loud as I could. It was just perfect. It was better than any concert experience I've ever had. Better than when I got front row on the rail between Bono and Edge during Vertigo. Perfect. Without knowing what the previous setlists were, I wasn't thinking "Oh, next comes Song X, followed by Song Y; oh, Song Z - they've only played that 4 times so far this tour!" I was just in the moment. And couldn't have been more fun.

Now I'm home. Now I'm depressed. I went to one concert, and now it's over. I don't want to work. I just want to see them again.

Now I remember why I love this band so much. And now I realize I need to start saving and planning for more U2. Next spring!

Excellent post. Welcome back!!

yes, correct.

Well it was literal, trust me on that. Since this is a public forum I won't/can't say anything more. So you think people just say things like that as a joke or figuratively? Why? How would you figuratively take someone down?

Well this person has also been "in love" with Bono for over 20 years so that will tell you how old she was. I've done GA enough times and heard about and seen enough to know what goes on sometimes. Some people will do whatever it takes to get what they want-including taking someone else down, I would believe that could happen. I don't need the "context", I already have it :) The notion that U2 fans are superior people in that way is just naive- experience and other things will teach you that. Doesn't mean that some aren't good or great people, but it doesn't mean that all are.

There was a ton of interaction w/ "Ground Zero" down in the pit.

Yes, that's what made this gig so special for me. I was part of "Ground Zero." The Japanese girls were really cute, so excited that Bono wanted their horns. I think they may have even been crying...they were right behind me.

Bono wearing horns-got it on video

This was my first U2 show ever. Been a fan since 1984, and the planets finally aligned for me.
Need to write a full review, but I'm posting now to ask one question: did anyone else catch a glimpse of Macphisto at this show? Swear to God, for a split second on the screen, Bono was donning a pair of horns. Then he whipped it off and (I think) threw it into the crowd. I assume a fan handed it to him...haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

I have video of Bono wearing the horns :hyper:. I'm at work today-boy does THAT get in the way! :) But I'll upload that video and post the link to youtube tonight.
Fun to come on here and hear the backstories behind things I saw from my spot on the catwalk front rail!

Well it was literal, trust me on that. Since this is a public forum I won't/can't say anything more. So you think people just say things like that as a joke or figuratively? Why? How would you figuratively take someone down?

Well this person has also been "in love" with Bono for over 20 years so that will tell you how old she was. I've done GA enough times and heard about and seen enough to know what goes on sometimes. Some people will do whatever it takes to get what they want-including taking someone else down, I would believe that could happen. I don't need the "context", I already have it :) The notion that U2 fans are superior people in that way is just naive- experience and other things will teach you that. Doesn't mean that some aren't good or great people, but it doesn't mean that all are.

Well do you *really* think a girl a fan of over 20 years, would physically fight another girl and risk being ejected from a show?

I don't see it happening at a U2 show, and I like you have been to plenty.

I do see a potential for an intense argument occuring and U2 security handling and resolving the situation-peacefully.

<>

I am a little tired of certain women EXPECTING to be brought on stage. I'm not saying I mind it when he does.....but some ladies, seem to EXPECT that Bono brings them up.

I much prefer when he pulls up little kids.

This has nothing to do with Melissa. I am totally happy for her.

I was at both Toronto shows....and no women were pulled up on stage.

I tend to agree. There were some awkward moments on the Vertigo tour. Some ladies crossed the lines of decorum for many.

Nothing against anyone who got up in Boston either. Is she the same girl who was in Toronto at the front of the GA line? I thought she was trying a bit too hard to be up front, especially around the time when the two lines were merged as it seemed as if some were about to die if they didn't get to be first in line, but that's just my personal opinion. Hell I had my own little sign too, but it wasn't my raison d'etre for being at the front ie getting onstage again. Once Bono read it, I basically put it away and would have been just as happy if he'd just taken the picture I was holding out of us two. :shrug:

If that's not Melissa, that's cool too. I'm happy she's had her moments.

You just check the right hand box and use the drop down menu where it says "selected messages" and use delete and it will delete the checked messages.

Hmmm, I tried everything.
Still have this problem:

Welcome, diamond.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:48 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 920.
Your PM box is 100% full.

Heres my email if u want:

davidbschroeder@gmail.com

Thirteen years after randomly watching Rattle and Hum and getting hooked on this band, I finally get the opportunity to see the band live along with my boyfriend (also a huge U2 fan and also his first show). Words cannot describe it really.

I was expecting Breathe and I had gone so much as to hint to Nick at the entrance with the smoke and Larry. When I saw them all come on at the same time, after screaming and hooting and wooing I thought somethings up. Magnificent. Oh, just, wow.. such a brilliant song.

I wasn't expecting to get Until the End of the World, let alone Your Blue Room, Mysterious Ways, Unforgettable Fire and Stay. Those mixed in with the standards really made this the ultimate show, especially since it was my first. Days prior I was commenting on how I'd love to hear them do Mofo, that the stage would fit Pop songs and then Bono snippeted Mofo at the start of City of Blinding Lights.. I know it was just a line, but I just about laid an egg.

I was really pleased with our seats. We were in section 205 row 25 and we had a great view. Seeing Dallas setting up and remembering his kindness to me in Dublin was wonderful and it was Sams birthday!

I turned into a big gigantic goosebump for MLK as my boyfriend will confirm, I even had them on my face.

The big song for my boyfriend was Sunday Bloody Sunday and for me the big moment was Streets. My favourite song since the beginning, it has been my constant companion and I was sobbing through part of the song. I had waited so long, I closed my eyes, I opened them and I was there.

Fantastic show. For me, the setlist combined roughly equaled one Acrobat, so you know I was ecstatic. We traveled with our friends who have been some of the only to support us in what has been a very difficult year. To be able to share the show with them, not to mention my boyfriend was a massive gift.

Thank you U2. Thank you so much.

A dissenting vote! Definitely my least enjoyable U2 show.

I sat up in the 300s... place was 2/3 full, everyone was sitting down, no-one was singing... was like watching the Imax but with a worse view... the sound was awful, echoey and unintelligible. I couldn't understand the lyrics nor Bono's comments between songs.... I've watched a bunch of youtube videos today to see "ah, that's what he was saying"...

I realize the experience is different for everyone. This is not a bash at U2 - probably more of a warning to not go see stadium shows in the upper level. The 360 stage is no magic cure for the fact that if you want that awesome high of a live show, gotta be close IMO.

And, this'll surely get me flamed, but I had just seen Coldplay two nights earlier and the crowd was WAY more into it. Now, granted that was Wembley which is home base but surely Boston is kind-of a home base. I was surpised at how empty it was and how unmotivated everyone was. Great band, great weather... everyone just seemed meh.

2 days later, and I still can't find the words to describe how wonderful this show was.

I also had a wonderful time meeting some lovely interferencers! Much thanks to cathalmc for being kind enough to give my friend his extra tickets on Monday. She was thrilled and loved the show. :)

I saw the show at the 200 level and had an amazing time. Magnificent set the tone of the show for me and I was connected to the band and the fans from the get go. The sound at the 200 level was spectacular and most of the people in my section were up on their feet for at least 3/4 of the show. Some of the highlights:

Magnificent - this felt so much better in the opening position. Also, Bono really seemed to be getting into the emotion of the song.

Mysterious Ways- This fits very well into the top of the setlist- had my entire section up dancing:)

Still haven't found- I really liked the sing along with this one and its placement in what felt like the praise/celebration part of the show brought out the meaning of the song and the show for me.

Your Blue Room- this is a subjective thing...Its one of my favorite u2 songs and I thought the images meshed really well with the performance. Bono's voice echoed gorgeously and the performance was very solemn and thought-provoking.

Until the End of the World- this might be my favorite Until The End of the World performance, period. The theater that Bono played with the girl that he brought out onstage totally floored me..and I understood the song at a deeper level than I ever have before.

Unknown Caller- I loved singing along with this song. Also, I thought it was placed appropriately in the set. The set of songs from Your Blue Room to City seemed to loosely refer to objectivity and God's view on things and this song exemplifies those themes.

Crazy Tonight Remix into SBS- I love this remix! I wasn't a big fan of the original track but I greatly enjoyed the remix version. I must admit that I was skeptical of these two songs' placement together, but the trancey arabic call to prayer that transitioned the song into SBS worked for me. I was deeply moved.

Amazing Grace-Streets. I realize Bono tripped over the lyrics, but I still loved hearing him sing Amazing Grace...and liked the reinterpretation of Streets that such a transition set it up for. Streets as a religious searching anthem impacts me more than it does as a political anthem.

Ultraviolet- Bono's voice on this song really impressed me and I loved watching him seduce the steering wheel microphone. Additionally, his use of the microphone as a prop helped me dig into and relate to the song. I saw the swinging microphone symbolic of the "light over his bed" and this understanding helped me connect more to the song.

Moment of Surrender- Bono's vocals are amazing on this one. Also, this song has really helped me get through the death of my father..which coincidentally also happened exactly one year before the night of this concert.

Back
Top Bottom