September 16, 2009 - Rogers Centre Toronto - Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I left No Doubt 2 songs early to avoid traffic. But then again, that was No Doubt.

true dat

i left a foo fighters/chili peppers show early, but only because my sister wanted to

i could understand leaving some concerts early, and i'm all for leaving ballgames early

but u2??? no way

-dan

Personally, if I am thinking about 60,000+ people leaving the show at once, I would make a point of staying in the building as long as I could. Let the bulls run first. Maybe you have other reasons for leaving early, I don't know. U2 shows don't happen often and what could possibly make someone worry about getting out of the building first at the risk of missing 2-3 songs. What if the most unreal thing happened, you step outside of the building and hear the beginning of Bad. I'd probably blow my brains out right there. Life is too short. Don't rush it.

I always wait at a U2 show, just in case they come out for another encore. Plus, I just love soaking in the moment, it has to last. Could you imagine leaving and then they say, "Screw it, let's pay a curfew fine. Let's give these good people what they want." And then they come out to play the following encore.

Lemon
Please
Bad/40

:D

Acrobat

cathalmc,

Cool videos. The tower is like a sub station to the claw. The stage looks so amazing from the cheap seats. I was on the floor for Chicago but am really looking forward to having seats for Houston & Vegas.

Vegas, under the stars in October with U2 (360) :drool:

Met everyone from here it seems. Camped out all night - and yes, elfa, I do get laid! :lol: Partied. Great show! Am not lining up again today, have a different plan of action. The show was great. I was in the first row of the inner pit maybe 3 people to the left of Bono (Edge's side) and I was not dead, au contraire.

Mark got on City and I got on CBC. Went down to the Hideout after to finish a great birthday off with singing Stay and In God's Country with Brady from Elevation. He did other stuff too not just U2, he was very energetic entertaining and a great time :up:

The Overdraught sucks. The company I had there ie Mia, Julie, Kaffy, Bmac - great people. But the place sucks now, imo. No food after 11? You're off the tour. :lol: I think everyone now knows that I have an eating disorder: I NEED TO EAT ALL THE TIME. ;)

Let's find somewhere else for tonight. I'm posting from Tony's room at the Dome hotel. Don't tell him. :lol:

:shifty:

I honestly can not understand why people leave early just to not be "caught" in traffic. I mean, these concerts only happen every 4 or 5 years and they last about 2 hours. Why bother??? Seriously.

in fairness to the person and his wife who left early, they had a tough experience going in the beginning with the crowd (it definitely didn't help that they were in the GA section). Safety is obviously a huge concern for them so I understand. I have gone through similar incidents and you definitely don't want to be caught in the middle of a stampede.

The "stampede" happens when the lines are let in. The crowds at the end of these shows are more under control. I understand what you mean, but in general there is no excuse.

Wow. I never should have posted that on a forum populated mostly by people who camp overnight for the show. :lol:

In my defence, we did stay for Ultraviolet and when U2 started wowy I figured it was going to be their standard close for the tour and after such a hassle getting in, sacraficed the last 2 songs so that we could have an unstressful time getting home - which we did.

I don't regret it, it's a shame for sure but I feel blessed having seen them again and went home happy.

I dont think anyone should be lynched for wanting to leave a song or two early to avoid the mess. It's their prerogative. Some of these venues are so poorly constructed that it can literally take hours to get out of there if you leave when everyone else is leaving. :shrug:

Let me know how long it takes you to get out of the Rose Bowl Carlos. :wink:

oh, how was the security on bag searching ? I am going to be bringing my SLR camera, but don't want to be stopped. From what I read non professional cameras are allowed, but then I read some people are asked to stop taking pictures, what gives ?

i am glad i stayed back, knowing most of the herd afterwards headed straight to Union Station. I had parked at Simcoe Building right beside CBC building and the traffic going westbound on Front Street was pretty much nonexistent after a couple of cheaper beers aftershow.

i would leave early if i had to make it home in Barrie by, say 11:30.

having said that, it's great to stay after to catch what others say of the performance. What What? Can you speak up? :lol:

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I'm sure tonight will be the same. I loved the light show on the CN Tower too. Normally the light show isn't so dynamic and "alive".

I dont think anyone should be lynched for wanting to leave a song or two early to avoid the mess. It's their prerogative. Some of these venues are so poorly constructed that it can literally take hours to get out of there if you leave when everyone else is leaving. :shrug:

but Rogers Centre doesn't have a massive parking lot, actually doesn't have any parking lots. I would leave early if I had to take the subway though.

oh, how was the security on bag searching ? I am going to be bringing my SLR camera, but don't want to be stopped. From what I read non professional cameras are allowed, but then I read some people are asked to stop taking pictures, what gives ?

print out what is allowed from rogerscentre.com

That last part. :angry: :scream: :sad:

I posted in the other thread, sorry....

We stayed til the end and held back another 10 minutes and had no problems leaving the building....amazing show....absolutely nothing to complain about...I wish I was going again tonight...enjoy!!!

I thought about leaving Chicago 1 when "Moment of Surrender" began. A lot of people were streaming out of there as soon as the first notes were played. I wish I would have gotten a 5-minute head start--the exit out of Soldier Field was an absolute nightmare.

The only thing that kept me around was a silent prayer for a surprise additional song. If I had left the stadium and as I was walking away heard "Drowning Man" I would have ended up literally drowning myself in nearby Lake Michigan to the strains of that song, LOL.

Here's my honest review. Arrived at 7:15 with my wife, 18 year daughter and 21 year old son. I had promised the kids a U2 concert since the Vertigo tour. Walked in to the dome and WOW!!! The set is impressive when seeing it in person. We were in section 537, not as high up as I was worried about but really an excellent view. Mostly parallel with the outer circle and a great view of the CN Tower. Snow Patrol was playing and were quite good. Really interacted with the crowd. The roof was open and it was a really nice night. First thing we noticed is how great the sound was. Anyone that has been to the dome with the roof closed knows how bad it could be. The acoustics were excellent all night. Sun when down and we started to notice how many empty seats there were. Shocking so. The GA was only 3/4 full and half way back it was nicely spread out. Major Tom started about 8:40 and U2 took the stage. This is when I my mouth dropped open. No one except my daughter, the chick an aisle over and I stood up to the opening. After Breathe we sat down. WOW was this a bummer. After the first four songs my daughter said can we stand up. So for the rest of the concert we stood and slowly more and more people stood. Especially during the City of Blinding light, Vertigo part of the concert. The Toronto crowd was very reserved in the 500 section and it appeared that the GA was similar. Maybe someone in the GA could comment better than me on this. The inner circle was really rocking though. the band was absolutely assume. Bono's voice was really on all night. The set list was excellent, my wife was hoping for Stuck in a moment rather than Stay but really loved your Blue room. They didn't play Pride which surprised me. I'm not sure if this is one of there songs that rotates. Really loved Ultraviolet and Bono sang With or Without you, more to the normal version. Love moment of surrender but maybe not as a closer. Still thing Breathe should not open the show either. I really think that they should open with magnificent. that song could really be slowly ramped up until they take the stage and be extra special. All in all a great night. Dome was as good as it could be, Band was really excellent. Crowd a definite D as U2 concerts go. We saw them in Ottawa an no one sat. Soooo, I promised the kids we will go the Montreal if they play !!!

3929994860_257e156943_b.jpg

3929995280_a9ab98dd68_b.jpg

3929995568_28cd137946_b.jpg

Last edited:
I arrived at the lineup around 620am and was given the number 129. Sitting just ahead of me were people I met at the U2 show in Hawaii in 2006. Michelle, her husband Craig and Lisa were settling in for a long day in line. Just after I arrived, the TO girls, Katie and Kim along with fellow Newfoundlander Penny and her boyfriend, Joe, showed up. Great to be among people I know in the line.

It was cold for much of the morning mainly due to the location we were placed in line. People were walking by without jackets, in short sleeves and shorts but they were out in the sun. We were under a concrete overhang in the shade freezing our butts off. It helped to get up and walk around the building to warm up. I was thinking they should put a thermometer at Gate 15 of the Skydome (no corporate name reference being used here on purpose) and every night on the news give the temperature at Pearson and at Gate 15. Probably a 10 degree difference.

I ran back to my cousin's condo which was about 8 minutes away to get a shower at 1130 am and went back to the line. I met some other U2 fans including Katherine( kafrun) from Calgary and Mia (unico)from Buffalo. The challenge for the day was finding a place to pee. I went to a food court near the CBC building once and then figured out the nearest place was the CN Tower. At least I got that figured out for the next show.

Afternoon was filled with usual hanging around stuff as people went to get cleaned up and put stuff away. I had to monitor my eating and drinking so I wouldn't have to go anywhere during the concert. Once I pick my spot, I don't leave.

The security at the building was fantastic. Well organized, gave us clear directions and not abrasive whatsoever. Apparently, the GA experience in Chicago a couple of nights earlier was awful for fans. So kudos to them for using a single gate, and keeping everyone on the straight and narrow. Although, most fans were well behaved and it was a great experience overall. There was a moment of trepidation as this mysterious line I call the '300' formed along side us entering the building. These people had U2 shirts, and tickets and started entering the building. We were told that our line would be the first one in, so I was like WTF?!? The line disappeared and after many theories, Kim suggested maybe they went to the restaurant. Bing, I remembered seeing the servers at the Windows entrance earlier fixing up displays and the entrance to the restaurant was just around the corner from our gate. Oddly enough though, once inside the restaurant windows were covered by a curtain so we don't know where those people went. I surmised that maybe they were luxury box people who got supper in the restaurant before going to their boxes.

Upon entering the stadium, we went for the outer rail, not for directly in front of the stage. The stage is elevated so you would spend most of the show looking up at someone about 12-15 feet above you. So upon the advice of others who have seen other shows already we picked just right of centre on the outside. Ben and Carol, from Ottawa, joined myself, Kim, Katie, Penny and Joe at the rail. My friend Jenn and her friend, Mo, also joined us at this location. This was their first U2 show ever. Jenn was supposed to see U2 in Hawaii with me but could not make it back for the show in December after it was cancelled in April. So she was superstoked about the whole experience. I was too as this was the first time I had rail.

Snow Patrol did an admirable job of warming up the subdued crowd. Most were there to see U2, not SP. But the lead singer was humourous and warm in his attempts to get everyone clapping and singing by appealing to our love of U2. One sweet moment came at the end of their set during the song "Open Your Eyes", on the big screen, they interluded images of the band with a couple sitting in the stadium. They were a young couple, and the girl had her head resting on his shoulder. They showed the band again, then the couple, and so on. After a couple more times, they realized they were on the screen. Still doing the flashing back and forth, we saw their reaction to seeing themselves, pointing and laughing, and then they kissed. The crowd erupted in a cheer for them. I thought it was pretty cool moment at a concert.

During the interlude, the fans in the upper deck started a rare thing from the past called the wave. It was pretty cool to watch it starting and finally swinging around the dome especially from the floor of the building.

Space Oddity by David Bowie was the pre-entrance music for the band along with a song sang by the band. Larry took to the drums walking out from the back of the 360 degree stage. He was the last band member to leave the stage in 2006 so it was a nice continuation to see him as the first one back to hit the drums. Adam and Edge made their appearances next coming up from under the stage and then the man, Bono, himself stepped out to a thunderous roar.

Here is the setlist.

Setlist:

1. Breathe
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. Beautiful Day / Alison (snippet)
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. Elevation
8. Your Blue Room
9. Unknown Caller
10. Until The End Of The World
11. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
12. The Unforgettable Fire
13. City Of Blinding Lights
14. Vertigo / Pump It Up (snippet)
15. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
16. Sunday Bloody Sunday / Oliver's Army (snippet)
17. MLK
18. Walk On
19. One / Amazing Grace (snippet)
20. Where The Streets Have No Name

encore(s):
21. Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
22. With Or Without You
23. Moment of Surrender

Most U2 songs are sing along type things and I was belting it out along with everyone else. Some songs sounded awesome with the crowd singing from my POV in the crowd. I Still Haven't Found was sung by the crowd for the first verse along with other songs. Vertigo was super crazy for some reason with the crowd really into it and Pump it Up was deadly as I was screaming it back at the band. I really took in the songs like One and WOWY and the rarities like Your Blue Room , MLK and Ultra Violet.

Overall, I was hoarse and tired but not sweaty this time since I was not directly jammed in the middle of the crowd. Also, I think the surge has been replaced by the 'razzi'. I expected to be crushed against the barrier each time the band walked by us or stopped but nope. Instead of pushing to get closer, people seemed more concerned with taking out the camera and getting a picture of the band. They are like animals in a zoo, everyone stops to get a picture of the tiger as he walks across the exhibit. As soon as each member came by, the cameras came out fast and furious.

The performance was fantastic as the band was in top form. Larry sent his drumstick flying halfway during the first song and scrambled to grab another stick. Bono gently bopped himself in the nose as he played with the mic stand during a song too. I along with the others got some amazing pics and was thoroughly entertained and happy with the night.

9522_279897070636_745965636_8822373_4343766_n.jpg

Kim, Katie, Ben, Carol, Me, Jenn, Mo
Penny, Joe

So basically September 16th was the greatest night of my life. It was my first U2 show and it was well worth the trip. I flew in the day before. The day of the show we went to the Rogers Center in the afternoon just to check things out and find out entrance gate. I was so excited to see the roof open :hyper: Anyways, we got there at around 5 and were let in at around 5:30. My seats were in the lower level directly beside the stage. It was a great spot because you were close enough to see the band and you had a great view of the claw. I bought a bunch of stuff at the merchandise stand ( I actually went a little overboard :wink:).

Snow Patrol was pretty good. They really warmed up the crowd. I was so excited after Snow Patrol finished cuz I knew U2 would be coming out soon. I couldn't stop shaking :cute: I went nuts when Kingdom started and then the band finally came out. I was freaking out!!!! It was my first time seeing them in person so I couldn't be happier:D The band rocked all night and Bono's voice was amazing. He really got the crowd going. My section was really rockin too! Everyone around me was really into it and we were all dancing and singing every song the whole time. It was awesome!:hyper:

I'm kinda sad now cuz it's over :sad: Can't wait for the next tour now..I'm gonna do GA for sure next tour.

Here's my honest review. Arrived at 7:15 with my wife, 18 year daughter and 21 year old son. I had promised the kids a U2 concert since the Vertigo tour. Walked in to the dome and WOW!!! The set is impressive when seeing it in person. We were in section 537, not as high up as I was worried about but really an excellent view. Mostly parallel with the outer circle and a great view of the CN Tower. Snow Patrol was playing and were quite good. Really interacted with the crowd. The roof was open and it was a really nice night. First thing we noticed is how great the sound was. Anyone that has been to the dome with the roof closed knows how bad it could be. The acoustics were excellent all night. Sun when down and we started to notice how many empty seats there were. Shocking so. The GA was only 3/4 full and half way back it was nicely spread out. Major Tom started about 8:40 and U2 took the stage. This is when I my mouth dropped open. No one except my daughter, the chick an aisle over and I stood up to the opening. After Breathe we sat down. WOW was this a bummer. After the first four songs my daughter said can we stand up. So for the rest of the concert we stood and slowly more and more people stood. Especially during the City of Blinding light, Vertigo part of the concert. The Toronto crowd was very reserved in the 500 section and it appeared that the GA was similar. Maybe someone in the GA could comment better than me on this. The inner circle was really rocking though. the band was absolutely assume. Bono's voice was really on all night. The set list was excellent, my wife was hoping for Stuck in a moment rather than Stay but really loved your Blue room. They didn't play Pride which surprised me. I'm not sure if this is one of there songs that rotates. Really loved Ultraviolet and Bono sang With or Without you, more to the normal version. Love moment of surrender but maybe not as a closer. Still thing Breathe should not open the show either. I really think that they should open with magnificent. that song could really be slowly ramped up until they take the stage and be extra special. All in all a great night. Dome was as good as it could be, Band was really excellent. Crowd a definite D as U2 concerts go. We saw them in Ottawa an no one sat. Soooo, I promised the kids we will go the Montreal if they play !!!
Amazing pics, btw! Mine suck. I agree with you on the crowd, in my section (114) it wasn't quite so bad but still people were sitting down too much and practically nobody besides me was singing. I saw them in Montreal in 2005 and the crowd was much better (although I was in the GA right in front along the rail, so maybe my perspective is skewed :D)
It was awesome that the roof was open - the only other time I've been to the Rogers Centre was for a baseball game a couple of years ago and the roof was closed, and I was fully expecting it to be closed this time too. However I couldn't tell how good the sound was - I had just flown to Toronto that morning and my ears don't pop, they take about 24 hours to get back to normal so my hearing was a little off plus I had to wear earplugs :sad: (my ears are super sensitive)
With my only other U2 experience being in the GA, I felt a little disconnected and the whole time I was wishing I could be down there... but I still had a great time. I loved the new songs but I got the impression most people around me weren't familiar with them, so I wished they would have mixed up the setlist a bit more with the old and new to keep those casual fans into it. Your Blue Room was awesome. I liked the intro to I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight but the rest of it, not so much. I was so happy they played Ultraviolet, that was the song I really wanted to hear. (Until the End of the World is actually my favorite song, but they played it at the last show I was at so I wouldn't have minded as much if they wouldn't have played it.) I loved the lighting for With or Without You, it was perfect...:heart: All in all I thought the second half of the show was better.
Unfortunately my pics and video suck, I think that's more to do with my skills (or lack thereof!) as a photographer/videographer than the quality of my camera - it has a million functions I don't have a clue how to use...

During the interlude, the fans in the upper deck started a rare thing from the past called the wave.
This made me :lol: sorry... At just about every hockey game I've been to people do the wave; I went to the curling championship last year and people were doing the wave... anyway, I wouldn't consider it 'rare' and 'from the past'! :)

yikes....bono is trying to grab me!!!

those are some very meaty fingers too!

-dan

Back
Top Bottom