September 12, 2009 - Soldier Field Chicago - Illinois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were in front of the soundboard (the stage-right corner of it?) for opening night. I had my Vertigo "New Zealand" big red V concert shirt on, and my wife said I got a few "cools" from the soundboard folks. :up:

It was a great night. So much fun.
But, really what's memorable is the Crazy Tonight remix. Not since U2 Discotheque-ed out of a mirrored lemon have I seen them shake things up like that. Someone else said this somewhere...if you think you know this band and always know what to expect, TAKE THAT!!!

I have never danced so hard at a concert. LOVE Crazy Tonight!

Mark

hmmm....maybe that was a different thread, lol!

9924_134713531249_513701249_2471248_2735523_n.jpg

I like the view/sound in front of the soundboard, but my camera still did not have a wide-enough lens to get the whole CLAW.

SP
DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

Okay pics from my Fuji F30. I saw a several DSLRs there. I talked to one guy, and he said one security guard was hassling him on the way in, but another one stepped over and said that there were too many people in line waiting to check everyone's cameras. I may try at the Rose Bowl, but I'll need to read more about people's experiences before I try my DSLR in the RZ in Vegas.

So, where were the entrances for the inner circle anyway? I'd like to know for future reference. I walked up there Sunday night, knowing I was too late to get in but just wanting to see where the entrances were, but a Red Zone security guard shooed me away and it was too loud (during Snow Patrol) to explain anything to him.

I like the view/sound in front of the soundboard, but my camera still did not have a wide-enough lens to get the whole CLAW.

Okay pics from my Fuji F30. I saw a several DSLRs there. I talked to one guy, and he said one security guard was hassling him on the way in, but another one stepped over and said that there were too many people in line waiting to check everyone's cameras. I may try at the Rose Bowl, but I'll need to read more about people's experiences before I try my DSLR in the RZ in Vegas.

I was about to ask what you used. Excellent pics! Clear and sharp, very nice. I think the view is awesome!

Thanks again for posting!

So, where were the entrances for the inner circle anyway? I'd like to know for future reference. I walked up there Sunday night, knowing I was too late to get in but just wanting to see where the entrances were, but a Red Zone security guard shooed me away and it was too loud (during Snow Patrol) to explain anything to him.

The entrance for inner circle is after the entrance for Red Zone. It wasn't very clearly marked but I just followed the hoard of running people.

The entrance for inner circle is after the entrance for Red Zone. It wasn't very clearly marked but I just followed the hoard of running people.

it's easy when running after a hoard... but lets say your are the first in line. At the second Chicago show, when I decided to go after the outer rail, I was joined by at least three people from the very front of the line. They wanted and could have had frotn row in front of Bono, but couldn't figure out how to get inside so they settled for the first rail they could find.

You gotta go allllllll the way around the ellipse to get in. Even after security explained it and diagramed it for us, I still was thinking good god how much farther?

So the entrance to the inner circle is in the back of the stage?

In Chicago, you entered into GA from the opposite end of the field (relative to the CLAW. The sound board is on your right. You see the CLAW in front of you. It is massive. You get to the inner circle by walking behind the Red Zones on the sides of the stage (between the front and back leg on each side). Once you get past the Red Zone, you curl around towards the main part of the stage. You walk under a bridge (there is one on each side at this point). You are now in the inner circle. Then, you go find your favorite spot. You will have on a single wrist band. The same one that every GA ticket holder gets. You don't get an inner circle wrist band until you exit it for food or a bathroom break. The second wrist band is what gets you back in (it's a different color). If you are Red Zone, you have a paper-ish wrist band that states Red Zone 1 or 2. It also gets you into the inner circle, but not the other Red Zone. Hope this helps.

A little late on my post..but it's been crazy getting back into the swing of things after the long weekend!
Got in line for GA around 7:30 (woke up at 5:00 to ride the Metra in from Orland Park) I was around the corner from the tunnel, had a grassy area to chill on and the most amazing people to sit by (for some reason I never asked them if they were on Interference, but if you are...hey!! it's Angie!). My friend Chris showed up and we chilled until they herded us like cattle...it got mighty warm being pushed together like that...I loved how the security was telling us all not to push...I was like Yeah right dude...
Anyway I was so releved that there were facilities close by and food! (Anyone run over to the hotdog stand?)
My friend Chris and I wound up on the propaganda video that was posted...how awesome was that??
I think the guy putting arm bands on in the line I went to was the slowest ever! Just put the prong through the hole! I thought there needed to be more signs once inside letting us know there was two entrances to the floor and where the inner circle entrance was....
The stage was so HUGE it was like "Which way do I go George, which way do I go?" so many great spots to choose from. My comrads from the line all stood together; inner circle outside rail, Adams side. We were able to use the restroom, get some food, and mingle comfortably until Snow Patrol was done (loved them btw). We were a little miffed to find people waltzing in telling us they JUST got there...grrr.Chris was at the 3rd Cork Park show in Dublin and knew the intro song (I was a good girl and didn't cheat)...so every new track that played I would look at him and he would just shake his head...hehe
When the boys came out....we went nuts!!!! I forgot that I was hot and my back hurt and I really wanted to brush my hair! The new songs were a major highlight for me...they sounded amazing, especially Breathe, No Line, and Magnificent. The Unforgetable Fire....WOW...just WOW.
No one lingered on our side of the ramp long...just Adam...:(
Loved hearing Ultraviolet and teared up during MLK.

Outside the venue getting to my ride was a whole other story...horrible!!!! Thank goodness they fixed that Sunday night.

Met up with some Interference folks Friday night at the Hard Rock hotel :)wave:)...they convienced me to get tickets to Sunday night...my new found friend in the GA line let me borrow his iPhone...and I bought them then and there! Look for my Sunday review. :)

Pics from Saturday

Sweating it out
u2012.jpg

Awesome tat
u2008.jpg

Shot of the stage
adam.jpg

Bono as he made his rounds
bono1.jpg

u2018.jpg

So I might have to change my vote in PLEBA
u2016.jpg

larry.jpg

Cool shot of the screen during WOWOU
bono.jpg

i love all the non-show pictures

the city, the skyline, the park, museum and stadium

too bad it gets so damn cold there

-dan

I know right? It's one of my favorite cities...but I was asking..where was the damn wind at the windy city Saturday in the GA line? Every other time I've been down around Solider Field its like a monsoon!

Yes, we were on the outside rail, Edge's side. When Bono knelt down and sang about Chicago right at the beginning of Beautiful Day, he was right there directly in front of us. I'm definitely going for the outside rail again in Glendale and Vegas. Being short, it was nice being on the rail and not worrying about taller people blocking my view of the main stage. And then of course having the band just a few feet away at times.

Oh, forgot to post this link.. I filmed the band arriving at WXRT radio station last Friday afternoon. I uploaded the video to Youtube this morning.

YouTube - U2 arriving at 93XRT in Chicago

Here's some pictures from last night. These turned out really great. From inner circle, about 7 people in, directly in front of Edge.

U2 360 at Soldier Field- a set on Flickr

The rest are here

Great photos! I was right next to you on your right...saw myself in one of your crowd shots. I just had a flip video cam w/ me, so it's nice to see some hq stills from that vantage point.

just curious....did anybody have any chicago-style pizza or killer steak/bbq (besides chris) while they were in chicago?

the one thing that bums me out the most is i didn't do much eating while i was out there.

-dan

just curious....did anybody have any chicago-style pizza or killer steak/bbq (besides chris) while they were in chicago?

the one thing that bums me out the most is i didn't do much eating while i was out there.

-dan

Gino's East. It. was. good.

-dan

You should hang with me more often...the only thing better than U2...EATING. :)

Chicago Chophouse
Fat Willys Rib Shack
Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company

Plus you missed the Architectural Tour we did on the boat!

I need to upload my pictures...

-dan

The line was too long at ginos on Friday night so we went to giordanos. It was great as always, and we had leftovers after the show on Saturday. And surroundings made the beer and dog at wrigley taste perfect.

You should hang with me more often...the only thing better than U2...EATING. :)

Chicago Chophouse
Fat Willys Rib Shack
Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company

Plus you missed the Architectural Tour we did on the boat!

I need to upload my pictures...

Garrett's popcorn - chicago mix. If you didn't have it you missed out.

Back
Top Bottom