September 12, 2009 - Soldier Field Chicago - Illinois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just curious....did anybody have any chicago-style pizza or killer steak/bbq (besides chris) while they were in chicago?

the one thing that bums me out the most is i didn't do much eating while i was out there.

-dan

Dan the whole four days we were there one place was really really good

On the corner of Lake & State was a Sub Shop w/ a Sub called Big Tony's:drool:

We did look for ChiCLAWgo Pizza but never saw any place except maybe at The Navy Pier Friday Night:up:

You should hang with me more often...the only thing better than U2...EATING. :)

Chicago Chophouse
Fat Willys Rib Shack
Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company

Plus you missed the Architectural Tour we did on the boat!

I need to upload my pictures...

I tried to encourage people to take the architectural tour. Everyone loves it, and the weather was perfect for it.

I live 10 blocks from Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company.

And :drool: for the Chicago Chophouse.

I was going to take that boat tour, but I ended up walking its whole length instead. I downloaded the self-guided one to my iPod:)

The line was too long at ginos on Friday night so we went to giordanos. It was great as always, and we had leftovers after the show on Saturday. And surroundings made the beer and dog at wrigley taste perfect.

We were at Giordanos too. I love Giordanos, I've gone to Chicago before just to get pizza, mmmm

i got into the inner circle at 5:30pm!

hi everyone...

i was one of those lucky ones that arrived at soldier field on saturday after the doors opened but still got into the inner circle, ending up right next to folks who queued up as early as 8am. actually, it wasn't *luck*; it was that the other poor souls just didn't know how to get in there. pays to do your homework and know where to go. i have to thank the folks on this forum (and the other u2 forums) that attended the european shows for that info. it worked so well, i made sure to tell my friends in toronto.

i had a crappy digital camera but surely could've gotten in my hd camcorder or perhaps my digital slr -- i saw guys on either side of me with both of those. at soldier field, security checks were minimal... they didn't make us empty pockets or pat us down or anything, and i didn't see any metal detectors (which would've given away any hidden cameras). i talked to the guy with the dslr and he said two enlightening things... 1. you won't get it in if you don't try and 2. you gotta be willing to take it back to your car and requeue if they see your gear and stop you. (of course, that only works for people who drive and have a car close by. in my case, i bit the bullet and parked for $45 at the lot right next to the gate, so i kick myself for not having tried.)

YMMV.

the spot was great. really close and made the show that much more exciting. my pix and videos weren't all that great (because of the crappy point-n-shoot), but i put the videos together into a 2-minute clip with music from the studio version of NLOTH anyways. it's on youtube if you wanna take a peek.
YouTube - U2 360 at Chicago Soldier Field - 2009 Sep 12

peace
bD

just curious....did anybody have any chicago-style pizza or killer steak/bbq (besides chris) while they were in chicago?

the one thing that bums me out the most is i didn't do much eating while i was out there.

-dan

I had both Lou Malnati's and Giordanos. I liked Lou's better.

I had a great time at the show, with the exception of the drunk girl in front of me who decided to stand on her seat when MLK started, and when I politely asked her to step down because I could not see, she drunkenly waved her hands in the air and said she was "praising" Aung San Suu Kyi. While I was debating whether or not to sarcastically asked her where her mask was, the woman next to me told drunk girl to get the hell down off her seat. Drunk girl spent the rest of the concert loudly complaining to her less drunk boyfriend (who did try to get her to shut up) and giving me and the lady next to me her best death glare, which made it a little hard to get into Bad. Drunk girl and less drunk boyfriend left a few songs before the concert ended, presumably still trying to praise Aung San Suu Kyi by drunkenly falling over stuff.

That's awful about the poor guy who had a seizure. I saw someone being carried out of the pit and I'm guessing this was him :(.

-dan

Uno's had the shortest wait for pizza, so we went there. It was great!

PJ's was on the first floor of our hotel, so I had a full rack of the baby back ribs. YUM! (I think they put a little bit of wasabi in their coleslaw, too. AWESOME!)

We also had a great lunch at the Weber Grill.

I don't usually eat much meat, but Chicago brings out the carnivore in me.

Mark

Just posting these in case someone recognizes themselves or someone they know. It's from when Bono got out of his car before the first Chicago show.

DSCN5278.jpg

DSCN5281.jpg

DSCN5282.jpg

Finally finished looking through everyone's photos. They are all amazing :love: some really great shots out there of the concert.
Also :heart: the photos of the city...very nice

Back
Top Bottom