October 20, 2009 - University of Phoenix Stadium - Arizona

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We were in Norman on Sunday - our first 360 show and it was awesome - smooth line experience, GREAT outer ring spot, great crowd, around us at least. It's nice to get to know your GA neighbors - we had some great kids around us. Was the best U2 concert I've ever seen (I've been going to their concerts since 1987).

Last night in Phoenix was very different - the energy of the crowd ranged from blase to beligerent. Started when we got to the GA line - asked several people if it was indeed the GA line and about 5 folks gave smart ass answers or no answers at all - just blank stares - very untypical of ANY GA line I've ever been in which folks are generally quite community-oriented and friendly.

The cattle call entrance from outside onto the field was bizarre, but hey I guess they needed to do it that way.

And then to see the claw shoved into the endzone - and not providing the full 360 effect was kind of disappointing - I'm glad we got to experience it full on in Norman.

We got about 6 people away from the outer ramp, so we had a good spot, but then the drunks started to surface - and the jail bait children that shoved their little selves past us "looking for their parents". Not cool. When the Desmond Tutu speech came on, the yahoos behind us made derogatory, disrespectful comments.

Over all the vibe was just not typical of a U2 concert. Low energy and kind of negative.

It also seemed that visually, the claw screen was having some technical difficulties.

I thought that the guys interacted from the ramp much much more in Norman - they didn't a lot at the Phoenix show.

But I have never heard Bono's voice sound better - EVER - and musically it was great.

I'm happy I was at both - but they were very different.

The ga line was pretty chill all day. It got fucked up when we went inside. The local security crew (w/ an acronym S.A.F.E. how ironic) had no idea how to get us all into the field. It was very scary. I was in the first 25 people and there were maybe a couple hundred behind us (not sure). I was so afraid people would tear off running and knock us down. Finally when we got to the pitch they let us go and I dropped something out of my purse. I bent down to get it and stopped and there was this huge crowd running towards me. I was so scared. I picked my stuff up and tried to get a momentum up to keep going. Then security stopped those of us trying to get into the inner circle at these narrow metal entrance things which were completely useless. People were pushing to get in and pushing me out of the way. Finally by the time I got in to the pit there was at least 200 people in front of me. I found my friends who had luckily been able to save me a spot (rail in front of Adam!) At that point, I rested for a while and promptly went to find the beer guy and downed a couple. :huh:

I'm going inner circle for Vegas again and I sure hope Sam Boyd and their local security guys have a better system figured out for getting people down to the inner pit.

panogx.jpg

I see my brother in this picture! he's on the left side looking directly at the camera and just barely smiling.

It was his first time in GA and he has never been a giant U2 fan (he's 32 and I'm 21). He said it was the best show he has ever seen in his life!!! That made me really happy. I took him to one of the Vertigo shows (Arrowhead Pond April 02) we had nose bleed seats and he wasn't that impressed at the time. So I am glad that he had a great time. We got there at about 5:30 and I was afraid that he would be grumpy from waiting all day but we had an awesome time in line.

I would agree with some of the people here in saying that the crowd was a little wierd for this show. Everyone standing around us looked like they were bored, there were a lot of empty sections in the nosebleed, and the crowd, for the most part, stopped cheering before the band finished leaving the stage.
Also I made a bad choice for footwear and wanted to saw my feet off after the show. but other than that It was a great show. See you all at the Rose Bowl.

I'll post some pictures soon

Yup no lottery

I had Red Zone for this show, but I walked into the pit area after BEP and got a decent spot one in from the back rail on Edge's side. so you can get pit without being early. People continued to pour in for the next 30 minutes so it got quite crowded and pushy, so I ducked out and back to the RZ, where I was one row from the rail with no one around me. Frankly the view was better anyways. I'm 6'4", and if I were under 6 ft I'd stay our of the pit altogether. the angle just isnt good. clearly center outside rail is the best, but I don't think worth the wait and the eventual crowding. I walked all throughout regular GA during and after BEP, and you could comfortably get 10 or 12 rows from the ramp fairly easily. Again, still a great view.

RZ tip - you can get a rail spot pretty easily, but you do have to hold on to it. I preferred to ability to move around, come and go, and it was never crowded. I hung back and positioned myself in line with the bridge so I could watch Edge and Bono come right us. Edge would stop and play at the top of the bridge or right in front of it on the ramp, 10 ft away. Perfect. And a great photo spot.

This should be a two word review: Bono's voice.

Incredible x (pick a very high number)

I said in a review when he first sang Amazing Grace how he dodged the really high note. Man, he nailed it with lots of interest in Phoenix.

And Shane MacGowan was in the audience. I tried to see if he was in the celeb area below the sound desk but he wasn't there. Spotted Goldie (UK drum n bass artist) there though.

The ga line was pretty chill all day. It got fucked up when we went inside. The local security crew (w/ an acronym S.A.F.E. how ironic) had no idea how to get us all into the field. It was very scary. I was in the first 25 people and there were maybe a couple hundred behind us (not sure). I was so afraid people would tear off running and knock us down. Finally when we got to the pitch they let us go and I dropped something out of my purse. I bent down to get it and stopped and there was this huge crowd running towards me. I was so scared. I picked my stuff up and tried to get a momentum up to keep going. Then security stopped those of us trying to get into the inner circle at these narrow metal entrance things which were completely useless. People were pushing to get in and pushing me out of the way. Finally by the time I got in to the pit there was at least 200 people in front of me. I found my friends who had luckily been able to save me a spot (rail in front of Adam!) At that point, I rested for a while and promptly went to find the beer guy and downed a couple. :huh:

I'm going inner circle for Vegas again and I sure hope Sam Boyd and their local security guys have a better system figured out for getting people down to the inner pit.

I must've been right behind you, I was in the third "row" once we started linking arms. It was crazy. Each time they stopped us my hands were shaking and my heart was pounding. Crazy, I know.

Sorry you almost got trampled but glad to see you got a good spot and were okay. What number were you?

I almost got trampled myself in fact some guy grabbed my hoodie and started pulling me and grabbed my arm was twisting it back with me yelling and screaming at him let me go you asshole! You're hurting me! and he goes I don't give a fuck. Than Security got involved and held everyone back, I was in tear the whole time until I got into the pit which I wasn't aiming for my friend wanted to go there, than during the show some jerkoff tried to make me move from the rail, even punched me in my rib, I was like WTF man you want it that bad than just take it than the guy next to me got upset and started shoving the guy away from me along with a couple others he finally left, I told security he was being violent because I was not the only one he was punching, they didn't care, minus that I had a great time in GA. I was down for a bet in tears because of that guy hitting me, but Bono made up for it when he came to the catwalk and stopped in front of me and winked, I'm sure he saw it cause he was right there when all that was going on with me in tears. Some people are jerks. But still a great experience.

I had Red Zone for this show, but I walked into the pit area after BEP and got a decent spot one in from the back rail on Edge's side. so you can get pit without being early. People continued to pour in for the next 30 minutes so it got quite crowded and pushy, so I ducked out and back to the RZ, where I was one row from the rail with no one around me. Frankly the view was better anyways. I'm 6'4", and if I were under 6 ft I'd stay our of the pit altogether. the angle just isnt good. clearly center outside rail is the best, but I don't think worth the wait and the eventual crowding. I walked all throughout regular GA during and after BEP, and you could comfortably get 10 or 12 rows from the ramp fairly easily. Again, still a great view.

RZ tip - you can get a rail spot pretty easily, but you do have to hold on to it. I preferred to ability to move around, come and go, and it was never crowded. I hung back and positioned myself in line with the bridge so I could watch Edge and Bono come right us. Edge would stop and play at the top of the bridge or right in front of it on the ramp, 10 ft away. Perfect. And a great photo spot.

I'm 5'4 and was in the pit, I wanted outer railer though. I was fine, but what didn't make sense is there was a huge gap in front of us for awhile and people just started shoving people backwards. Which ended up with me smashed like a sandwich on the rail.:huh:

This should be a two word review: Bono's voice.

Incredible x (pick a very high number)

I said in a review when he first sang Amazing Grace how he dodged the really high note. Man, he nailed it with lots of interest in Phoenix.

And Shane MacGowan was in the audience. I tried to see if he was in the celeb area below the sound desk but he wasn't there. Spotted Goldie (UK drum n bass artist) there though.

So nice to meet you and d. on Tuesday. Hopefully we'll run into you tonight too :wave:

I almost got trampled myself in fact some guy grabbed my hoodie and started pulling me and grabbed my arm was twisting it back with me yelling and screaming at him let me go you asshole! You're hurting me! and he goes I don't give a fuck. Than Security got involved and held everyone back, I was in tear the whole time until I got into the pit which I wasn't aiming for my friend wanted to go there, than during the show some jerkoff tried to make me move from the rail, even punched me in my rib, I was like WTF man you want it that bad than just take it than the guy next to me got upset and started shoving the guy away from me along with a couple others he finally left, I told security he was being violent because I was not the only one he was punching, they didn't care, minus that I had a great time in GA. I was down for a bet in tears because of that guy hitting me, but Bono made up for it when he came to the catwalk and stopped in front of me and winked, I'm sure he saw it cause he was right there when all that was going on with me in tears. Some people are jerks. But still a great experience.

why do people like that even go to a U2 show? must be the casual fan "get drunk its an event" crowd. glad you were able to still have a great show.

why do people like that even go to a U2 show? must be the casual fan "get drunk its an event" crowd. glad you were able to still have a great show.

I was wondering about that myself, the people we were standing with had been in line with us and protected me, I was pretty scared, I was so worried that if I fell someone would trample me and rebreak my legs since I had had 4 surgeries, I would of been fine if some people were not such jerks ya know? I even asked the guy next to us, I thought U2 fans were all about peace love and joy? and he goes we are, that one is not a true U2 fan. It's pretty sad people can be like that. and It sucked for about 3 songs I was quiet and in tears because of that guy. I'm glad he left. Jerk.:madspit:

Would I do GA again probably, will I do inner circle though? That is still in debation. Even though I did have a great time in that spot.

I did love after when that happened, Bono was on the cat walk and turned around looked at me smiles and winked, which made me smile right back.

I am embarrassed though, that I was in tears when we were going to the field and after when that guy had punched me in my rib, people probably thought I had issues.:reject:

This was my first Ga experience and it was a Magnificent one! First of all thank you to Zuropa-fit! It was great to meet you!! We met up at Margaritaville and she told us to go get our numbers. I was #43! I had a wonderful time in line that day and really enjoyed meeting so many great people. I am completely envious of all the people who have literally traveled Europe and the US for these shows! How awesome!!
I couldn't sleep Monday night because I was still trying to figure out where I wanted to stand-stage or outer rail. I finally made my decision to go to center stage but slightly towards The Edge. I made it to exactly that spot. I was one row behind rail and had a short girl in front of me. (I'm a magnet for tall people in front of me-I got lucky!) The show was amazing! It was a dream come true for me to be in the circle and among the people jumping up and down at the beginning of Streets! I won't be going to Vegas or LA so I am hoping for a west coast city next year. I need to see the show from further out so I can see The Claw and all it can do. The sound was decent from my spot but I know it was better from further out. If I had one complaint it would be I wish I felt that connection to Bono and The Edge. Bono was better than The Edge. It was like they looked past us out into the sea of people. Fergie was incredible and so interactive with us. I would love to have felt the same from the guys I was really there to see.
What a great night!! Hope all of you traveling to LV and LA have a safe and wonderful time!!:wave:
I originally included a link to my snapfish to view my photos but it would allow you to view all of my photo albums. So I removed it. Sorry!

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnails...otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Last edited:
000_0005.jpg

000_0006.jpg

Having been a fan of U2 for close to 30 years, I must say that they seem to have matured with the musical landscape and technological advances proffered them by mankind.

The 360 Tour is a testament of this fact.

000_0014.jpg

I have seen Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones, Robert Plant of Led Zepplin, Roger Daltrey of The Who and Springsteen all perform live -up close and personal. U2 is on the same tier as these, but Bono outshines the front men of all of these bands.
000_0026.jpg

000_0011.jpg

This wasn’t U2’s best show of the tour but for the casual fan or curious fan, the band did not disappoint this evening- it was an excellent show. I watched the entire show with my friend Jesse B. from the front rail center mic right-we had a blast.
000_0022.jpg

Bono, it seems wants to make each show special and a bit different than a previous show. He pulled up a young kid, ran a lap around the circumference of the stage, sang to this child and gave his glasses to her (not sure of the gender). He pulled 3 sisters up who were in the first few rows danced and sang with them on stage -collectively and individually. Bono worked the crowd passionately making eye contact with so many fans, you could tell that he wished he could have pulled more up on stage, but although preoccupied with doing so, it wouldn’t be feasible-so he forced himself to let go of the thought and perform instead. All the while, one couldn’t help noticing that Bono was continually thinking as he sang; looking for the next opportunity to create another piece of magic if the opportunity presented itself; magic like this happens often at a U2 show.

000_0021.jpg

The best songs of the evening were Breath, Vertigo, Streets, Unforgettable Fire, Ultra Violet, With or With Out You, Elevation and Unknown Caller.

000_0018.jpg

The only thing I wish were different is for Bono’s hair to be longer, the butch, Pop Mart hair doesn’t serve him as well as his hair style during the Elevation tour.
010420r3-19.jpg

I’m hoping who ever they have as their stylist these days will talk him in to growing it out or maybe Allison could give him a little kick in the a*s and make him grow it longer-just a thought.
Maybe this can happen after Songs of Ascent is released-who knows.

Well that’s all I have for now.

Keep rocking guys; I’m hoping somebody gets you a copy of this. Stay outta trouble and if we’re lucky we’ll be able to see you upstage Lady Gaga real soon- ha.

<>

nice review diamond... but bono's hair is good short so he doesn't sweat as much..

the sound could have been louder that night, the sound sucked, i heard better sound at other shows.. other than that, was awesome

BEP rocked the house. Fergie was giving me looks a lot. :love: an boy can she move! One of the guitarists gave me a pick!!!!!!!!!!

BEP blows Muse outta the water IMO.

great meeting you flower!!!

thats all i gotta say.

nice review diamond... but bono's hair is good short so he doesn't sweat as much..

the sound could have been louder that night, the sound sucked, i heard better sound at other shows.. other than that, was awesome

BEP rocked the house. Fergie was giving me looks a lot. :love: an boy can she move! One of the guitarists gave me a pick!!!!!!!!!!

BEP blows Muse outta the water IMO.

great meeting you flower!!!

thats all i gotta say.

So, how exactly did you feel about BEP opening Jesse?

:wink:

Glad to hear you had a good time buddy, hope I can bump into you again sometime next leg maybe...

...and I agree on Bono's hair. Never, ever, ever grow your hair back Bono. ;)

Ok, sorry for not posting this earlier. here's how my 2nd U2 concert (1st GA experience) went down.

Lining Up:

We arrived around 2pm, parked near the exit on the east side (great decision as it took 2 minutes to get out of the parking lot) and walked over to the GA line. GA line was wrapped around to the west, which disappointed me since a majority of us were in the son. They should have wrapped it to the east, although i think the ticket booths are there, so I can see their logic. Just after 3pm or so they announced to the crowd for everyone to take their shit back to their cars and that they would start wristbanding us early to get us in. For whatever reason, some people near the front must have thought that was the perfect time to also stand up and move towards the front, which then started a domino effect of everyone moving towards the end of the line. This, in effect, created a huge cattle call of people. Even worse, all the people that left the line to put their shit back had to then nudge through the whole line to get back to their group (and a-holes who took advantage of the system to move up in the queue) So we stood there till 4:10, when they opened up the gates.

Walking In:

They scanned our tickets and we proceeded to walk down the ramp to get wristbanded. After that, they lined us up cattle call style again and began to start breaking up the group into sections. I just barely made it into group 3. group 2 was cut off approx. 20 people after I was allowed to go. They moved us down the ramps in our groups so that only one group could enter the field at a time. once we got down to the field, security moved out of the way and it was a mad dash across the field. The entrance to the inner circle was narrow and a bunch of security people were there. there were allowing people to come in as fast as they could count them. I made it to Edge's side 5th row from stage. Security did a good job of only allowing a certain number of people in circle so that it wasnt too too crowded. I thought that when the concert started, the crowd would push forward but i didnt get a whole lot of that. For the most part, people were civil in the circle where I was, except for the random few that thought they could just walk right up and stand in front of you to take pics of the band.

BEP and U2:

BEP were great. high energy. took time to extensively thank U2 for the opportunity to be there. you could tell they were blown away by performing in front of 60k rather than the 20k they're prob accustomed to. Fergie looked fantastic and they really got the crowd going.

U2 I thought was fantastic. Loved the setlist w/ inclusion of In A Little While. I'm glad they played UTEOTW and Ultraviolet. Crowd was good, but not great, I think some may have been saving themselves for Vegas or LA, but in general the crowd did their part. I'm not sure if Bono normally does this, but the girl he pulled out for COBL, he pulled her up from the inner circle via the bridge between stage and outer ring. Her dad lifted the girl up,(as some other little boy also was trying to get up on the bridge), and bono pulled her up with one arm. she did seem a lil' overwhelmed with the situation, but it'll be something she never forgets. Bono's voice, as others have said, was amazing. I dont think he missed a note, not from what i could tell. Muhammed Ali was in the house, and Bono did a great introduction of each member of the band to a boxing theme (in the blue corner...in the red corner....etc. Visually i found the claw to be quite impressive. All in all, well worth my 65 bucks, even though i basically stood from 3-11:30 without sitting (thanks to the cattle call fiasco in the GA line).

Oh one last thing, I caught one of those U2 crew member shirts (black and pink), see pic above. I wondered why the lettering was pink until i saw the front. It has the breast cancer ribbon with NRG Stage Crew or something. the back says University of Phoenix U2 October 20, 2009. great shirt, gotta give props to the stage crew for giving them away.

So, how exactly did you feel about BEP opening Jesse?

:wink:

Glad to hear you had a good time buddy, hope I can bump into you again sometime next leg maybe...

...and I agree on Bono's hair. Never, ever, ever grow your hair back Bono. ;)

Fergie did give Jesse a lot of play.:up:

<>

Back
Top Bottom