October 01, 2009 at Charlottesville, VA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some initial photos - more to process later:

LADAM.jpg

EDGE1-1.jpg

BONO_C.jpg

ADAM1.jpg

Ba Ba:hug: & I were Outside Rail Front Row Edge's Side right against the rail which was nice to lean on:ohmy:SPECTACULAR NIGHT !!!!!

:shocked: Dude! You couldn't have been more than 10 feet from Mr. Blu & I. We were outside rail, front row, Edge's side... matter of fact, the first time they rotated the bridges & Edge walked across from the stage, the thing stopped right in front of me! :combust:

Kelly & I met some great people, also! :up: The ladies we were behind in the GA line named Kelly & Lisa :lol:, the couple we shared the rail with (Kevin & Jerri from Ashland,KY), even the security guy, Kendall. :D U2 truly has the best fans in the world. :heart:

In summation : What an awesome fucking show! I am sooooooooo excited for Saturday night!! :rockon:

ETA: I have some great shots, too, but they'll have to wait until I get back home next Wednesday to upload. (I know, I know - one day I'll crawl out of the dark ages & get a laptop. 'Til then... :shrug:) :)

Great photos ntalwar. Wish I had read your settings tips in the DC thread before this show. My photos are mostly crap, and even the decent ones are put to shame by yours. I'm blaming the camera, but the idiot behind it is probably the real problem.

My wife and I were also in Red Zone, Adam's side, on the rail. Maybe 10 or so spots down from the front corner. This was our last of three shows - NJ1 behind the stage, DC seats facing the stage, and finally our red zone tickets in Charlottesville. Predictably, each show got better and better with the improvement of our location. But still it is cool to see the claw in it's glory from a distance as well.

Our only disappointment was that we got the same setlist for all three shows. especially disappointed we didn't get UC at least once. And YBR was nice to see once - but would have liked something else at the other two shows. The space station clips and Bono's shout outs to "Frank" come off a little odd.

Still, these are minor nitpicks. We loved all three shows. Highlights for me are Ultraviolet, Crazy Tonight, SBS. And Edge's falsetto on Stuck - awesome. Red zone is great. I'd definitely do this again - chance to be close without feeling packed in or having to wait in line for hours.

Disappointed that the tour is done for us, but hoping they come to Baltimore and Philly next year. We love this band!

Below are the only two pics I took that somewhat worthy of posting here - and they still are blown away by ntalwar's.

100_0141.jpg

100_0137.jpg

Just back from Charlottesville and back to the internet, and glad to see everyone agrees with what I was going to post! The band was on fire last night, definitely the best of the 5 shows I've seen this tour. Even WOWY sounded crisper than at the other shows. Bono seemed giddy at times, and his voice was fantastic, as others have said. The sound was AMAZING, perhaps the best I've heard in 17 lifetime shows.

Loved the People Get Ready snippet in SBS - Bono also added the line "freedom was born on a Christmas Day." Bono sung something I couldn't identify at the end of ISHFWILF, which I haven't seen anyone mention yet.

Also had a much better inner circle experience than in DC, when we were tightly packed in the center rear by lots of latecomers who pushed in. At Charlottesville I was 240th in line and took a spot on the back rail, Adam's side. Had a great group of people around me and we all helped the wonderful security guy by us, Jonathan, dissuade latecomers from trying to come into our area. The result was that we had plenty of space and a pleasant experience.

Overall the crowd was really great. The lesser numbers did hurt on the ISHFWILF singalong, which was quieter than at other shows, but the overall enthusiasm was much higher, including an impressive amount of spontaneous cheering each time the band went away toward the end. I really thought the crowd quality deserved an additional song, and I don't understand why U2 doesn't deviate from their script to reward a crowd like that. Bono went over and talked to Adam after WOWY, then said something like "are you ready to go home yet?" to the crowd, and I thought maybe we'd get a gift, but no.

The return of NLOTH was much appreciated - I was excited when I heard Bono's green Gretsch being tuned for it before the show. Disappointed by the lack of UC again. But really, who can complain about the setlist when the performance is so extraordinary? It was such a privilege and blessing to see the five shows this month, and I was just soaking it in at the end. Hopefully more to come in 2010!

It was a great show! We were in Section 105 Row C which was on Edge's side- three rooms from floor. They were $95 seats but much better view that our $250 seats in DC. I would have preferred "the Minister of Foreign Affairs- the one who hangs with the cheerleaders" aka Adam Clayton's side. But, it's all good. Loved when Bono called Edge a Nerd!! Loved hearing NOLTH. Now, waiting to see if UC is back on Saturday night. Bono's voice was great last night. I had to stop myself from singing during MLK so I could take in that lovely voice. Bono and Edge were very playful and full of energy. Also, really liking the Crazy Remix!:applaud:

My last show is tomorrow night! I can't wait!

it's amazing how people's perception of the audience is so relative. it really does matter who you sit next to.

i loved the people in the stands in DC on Tuesday, hated people in DC in 2005, and was surrounded by a bunch of frat-tastic dudes last night who were kind of blah and didn't know a lot of the songs. there were two women behind me who stood motionless the entire evening. i don't get that.

but Charlottesville and the environs are very upper-middle class, very suburban, very conservative (less politically and more in terms of demeanor), so wild abandon usually only comes with alcohol, and there was none to be found in that stadium.

at least where i was. :shrug:

still, i'm very satisfied with my U2 360 experience. it's a tour as good as any they've ever done, and both these shows were better than all but 1 of my Popmart shows, if we're going to compare stadiums to stadiums.

they did have great energy last night, and in DC too.

OMG THESE ARE INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! :faint::drool:

thanks for posting them.

Thanks. Saw that you posted you couldn't make it. Too bad you had to miss a great show.

Great photos ntalwar. Wish I had read your settings tips in the DC thread before this show. My photos are mostly crap, and even the decent ones are put to shame by yours. I'm blaming the camera, but the idiot behind it is probably the real problem.

My wife and I were also in Red Zone, Adam's side, on the rail. Maybe 10 or so spots down from the front corner.

Thanks, and nice Bono photo. You must have been only a few feet from me. I was about 6 or 7 people down from the corner, on the rail or right behind 3 girls on the rail. I had a camera bag on my shoulder. RZ was less crowded than DC - I think Edge's side gets more activity though.

Just back from Charlottesville and back to the internet, and glad to see everyone agrees with what I was going to post! The band was on fire last night, definitely the best of the 5 shows I've seen this tour. Even WOWY sounded crisper than at the other shows. Bono seemed giddy at times, and his voice was fantastic, as others have said. The sound was AMAZING, perhaps the best I've heard in 17 lifetime shows.

Cool - that confirms my perception. Even the band acted like they had just put on something special at the end. Their exit was cool - all four side by side when they waved to the back section (didn't do that in DC as much).

Thanks, and nice Bono photo. You must have been only a few feet from me. I was about 6 or 7 people down from the corner, on the rail or right behind 3 girls on the rail. I had a camera bag on my shoulder. RZ was less crowded than DC - I think Edge's side gets more activity though.

We came in right at 5 and the corner and a few spots down were taken. There were two women holding a spot for a guy with them so we stood just to the right of them. Didn't talk to the guy as others squeezed in between us before the show, but remember that he was taking photos with an iPhone, so guessing that wasn't you. You must have been just to the left of them.

Regardless your photos are stunning. I have none that are usable when I tried to zoom in - yours are like you are standing right next to the band! Wish I knew what I did wrong - it's just a point and shoot, but it's only two years old, 8 megapixels, and was in the medium price point at the time I bought it. I fiddled with the settings over the course of the three concerts we went to with little to no discernable difference. Oh well, glad I can enjoy seeing yours!

^Thanks. I got lucky with the spot after they folded up the merchandise table at the front of RZ. Everyone went for a better spot, and I just happened to be there and took their old spot :D.

btw - u2.com says "College show at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville with its own special vibe from a very cool audience who were also well into Muse. (Incidentally, noticed that most of U2 at different moments were also out to catch their set. )"

Did anyone see U2 members watching Muse?

btw - u2.com says "College show at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville with its own special vibe from a very cool audience who were also well into Muse. (Incidentally, noticed that most of U2 at different moments were also out to catch their set. )"

Did anyone see U2 members watching Muse?

!!

No, very sorry I missed that though!:ohmy:

Did this show appear to be sold out?

No, there were maybe a few thousand empty seats in the upper deck. Surprisingly, the $250 seats appeared to be full (from my inner circle vantage point). It's a little harder to tell, though, with the bleachers at Scott Stadium vs. the seats in NFL stadiums. Maybe someone who was sitting in the $250 seats can report on what they saw up close?

Did this show appear to be sold out?

Thanks about the photos. No, it was not sold out. However, I think they set an attendance record for the stadium (because of GA). Once the figures come out, I think there will have been more people than the Rolling Stones had.

No, there were maybe a few thousand empty seats in the upper deck. Surprisingly, the $250 seats appeared to be full (from my inner circle vantage point).

It's possible that some of the upper deck people were given free upgrades to lower deck. This is very common at stadiums.

I don't know if the show was sold out, but it seemed like every section was mostly full from my vantage point (except for the "partially blocked view" sections). I was on the back rail of the inner circle, Edge's side. This being my first U2 concert, I can't compare it with other concerts, but holy crap that inner circle was packed shoulder to shoulder!

ntalwar, those pictures are amazing! What kind of camera do you own? That has to be a DSLR, they look magazine quality! Mine were not nearly as good quality, I just use a point and shoot (Canon PowerShot SD1000, 7.1 MP). Here are a few of mine:

3975370523_7928b1caaa.jpg

3975370853_905738385f.jpg

3976132552_1db51ef242.jpg

3976132720_ac046bb01f.jpg

3975371573_0ec3159478.jpg

3975371731_6d42ceef6c.jpg

3976133386_abac6d5e31.jpg

3975372093_53cd271322.jpg

3975372231_eaef2f8d95.jpg

3975372411_f9b64366fd.jpg

3975372591_557b3c20d6.jpg

3975372751_2a69f2420e.jpg

ntalwar, those pictures are amazing! What kind of camera do you own? That has to be a DSLR, they look magazine quality!

Thanks. The first four I posted are from my dslr. I had under a 3" lens, but it was fixed length, so I didn't use it much. All the rest (plus all those in the DC thread) are from the $170 Kodak Z915, which I just bought from Walmart because I can return it for free. After seeing the results, however, I might keep it.

I forgot to mention earlier that I was taken aback by the intensity of WOWY. I was watching Bono on the stage and the monitor. His tender touches of the microphone and body actions while singing that song- it was like I was interrupting an intimate moment between Bono and that song. It took my breath away. :heart:

Best U2 show I've ever seen. Amazing set, amazing energy- they channeled the crowd the whole time, and Bono had as much vibrancy and craziness as I've seen. Also, they FINALLY found the perfect segue for YBR- New Years Day. It reminds me of the mix of October/NYD during the JT tour. Perfect.

I really am still coming down from this one- Bono, at the end of the night, stood in the middle and said "This is mad". It was clear he was speechless, and barring a single gaffe in the second encore with the lead monitor for the bass (in which it was significantly louder than his mic) it was a perfect show.

Amazing. My brother was a first timer, and passive U2 fan, and was absolutely floored. I hit campus today and all- even those who didn't go- were talking about it.

This is a special band, as we all well know, and that was one hell of a special evening.

Back
Top Bottom