My GA experience. The list is tainted.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @ryancoke71

@U2Girl1978 EXACTLY!

All I am going to say is that I am highly frustrated and disappointed in this posting. There was a lot of bullshit and lack of knowledge about what really went down in Pittsburgh. I am also pretty personally offended and find it really disingenuous to be put in photos and be made complicit in a list that I didn't agree with, fought against, and had ZERO TO LITTLE hand in running, outside of helping with the merge and working with Dave since Lou couldn't be chuffed to do so. I only lurk on here and to be put up on a board like this is simply wrong. If you have issues with people, you bring it up with them, not like this.

Thank you @ryancoke71

@U2Girl1978 EXACTLY!

All I am going to say is that I am highly frustrated and disappointed in this posting. There was a lot of bullshit and lack of knowledge about what really went down in Pittsburgh. I am also pretty personally offended and find it really disingenuous to be put in photos and be made complicit in a list that I didn't agree with, fought against, and had ZERO TO LITTLE hand in running, outside of helping with the merge and working with Dave since Lou couldn't be chuffed to do so. I only lurk on here and to be put up on a board like this is simply wrong. If you have issues with people, you bring it up with them, not like this.

Your picture was removed.
How could I talk to you? You told me to shut up! Remember that?

I agree that there needs to be changes, for sure, to this whole line up process. I was not happy in Montreal, so I ditched the line, and showed up after the gates opened for Montreal 2 and ended up with a great spot in the pit. I couldn't handle the drama. Many decide to play the game, because there is no other choice.

Posting pics with names certainly does cross the line. Bullt, you said that newpapers do it. This is true, however, they do not post names without permission.

I'd love an open debate about this whole thing, and I am sure we may even agree on some points. That being said, I do not agree with calling out people on here. :down:

bulltproof, I PMed you. Not going to get into this on public boards, but I definitely did not tell you to 'shut up' in terms of shutting you down, but was probably in the midst of trying to fairly deal with two lists, and having ten people shouting at the same time.

What is being described here stands in pretty sharp contrast to how I believe the list was managed in Toronto. I think Toronto was fair with no shenanigans or plus 1 ideas.

Just to be clear gvox, do you believe that every person in Toronto showed up at the venue ahead of time to sign in? Each person on the list actually and physically came to the Rogers Center to put their name on the list that were ahead of you and I? Specifically those who were travelling from Montreal?

:hmm:

Bulletproof, you raise some good points, but you might be making more enemies than friends by outing them on a public forum. I've been quite vocal myself in another thread, but kept my banter to my opinions without naming names. This is unfortunately gonna get no where but UGLY.

bulltproof, I PMed you. Not going to get into this on public boards, but I definitely did not tell you to 'shut up' in terms of shutting you down, but was probably in the midst of trying to fairly deal with two lists, and having ten people shouting at the same time.

[PM text deleted--posting PMs from other members without their permission violates the forum rules.]

I don't know how else to take "shut up".
shut up1. To cause (someone) to stop speaking; silence.
2. To stop speaking.

I didn't know I started the list by not leaving. I thought Lou was the catalyst; I mean, after all, she had started a list before that morning. And although you were a little rude (which I mistook as not very receptive to my thoughts and feelings), I felt that you were getting shafted. They tried to put names before you on the list and you were right there!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how else to take "shut up".
shut up1. To cause (someone) to stop speaking; silence.
2. To stop speaking.

I didn't know I started the list by not leaving. I thought Lou was the catalyst; I mean, after all, she had started a list before that morning. And although you were a little rude (which I mistook as not very receptive to my thoughts and feelings), I felt that you were getting shafted. They tried to put names before you on the list and you were right there!

Wow, really. I had the decency to PM you and keep this between us, and your brought that communication into the public forum. This is completely petty and bitter, and I am reporting you to the mods.

If you felt I was getting shafted, and yet I stuck up for myself, perhaps you would have given me a little leway in dealing with the line. I apologize for telling you to 'shut up', but seriously dude, grow a thicker skin dude.

I'm sorry if I am branded the bad guy. I was merely blown away by the way some U2 fans acted.

I like you Mark. I really do. I like others that I have seen stand up for themselves.

My problem is I hate to see an issue that can be resolved. This list nonsense can be resolved. How do we fix it?

When people start a list they should be trustworthy. They should be honest. I didn't see honesty in Pitt. I was the one that put U2Brothr on the list. He asked if his friend that was on top of the bridge could be put on the list. I said only if he comes down here.

There was no problem. U2Brothr got his friend and both were on the list during my shift 3am - 6am.

It all comes down to .... change.
What was I gonna do? PM the list abusers?
Where would that get me? Where would that get you?

Maybe... just maybe... the next tour when a fan pulls out a pen and pad of paper, more fans will pay attention. More people will want what I want... equality.

Just to be clear gvox, do you believe that every person in Toronto showed up at the venue ahead of time to sign in? Each person on the list actually and physically came to the Rogers Center to put their name on the list that were ahead of you and I? Specifically those who were travelling from Montreal?

Wait - what?? :huh:

I would really like to believe that they showed up ahead of time, physically, each and every one of them, yes, I would!!

You'll recall that I personally couldn't get "plus 1"d to our gang of 4, even though I was literally on the hwy from Montreal to Toronto and effectively the only reason we werent together for sign in is because we were in different cars on the way back so separated by a couple hours. I drove straight and went directly to the venue to sign in. And the people who were running the list were people we know! Personally! If we couldn't do it, why could it happen in other cities?

I disagree with not naming culprits if shenanigans happened. Did this stuff happen or didn't it? If it did, why can't the people involved just own up and stop hiding behind "I won't talk about it in public" etc. Because they should never be allowed near managing a line again, if so.

coolian2 said:
maybe there shouldn't be naming and shaming, but this is downright the wrong way to have a ga queue.

Completely agreed.

gvox said:
The chief reason the list started is because venues were not allowing an overnight lineup.

So follow their rules and get there as early as you want on the day of the gig? It's a U2 concert, not a meeting of the Stonecutters.

U2Girl1978 said:
If we didn't have a list, then how would lining up work?

first come first served...?

ultimately though, if you're willing enough to put yourself out there as king/queen of the ga queue, you're putting yourself out there publicly, and if it gets reported online, so be it.

no sympathy. if you don't like people criticising how you handled the line (and it should be whoever arrives first on show day, not this shit), then don't handle the line.

you're putting yourself out there. handle it.

ultimately though, if you're willing enough to put yourself out there as king/queen of the ga queue, you're putting yourself out there publicly, and if it gets reported online, so be it.

no sympathy. if you don't like people criticising how you handled the line (and it should be whoever arrives first on show day, not this shit), then don't handle the line.

you're putting yourself out there. handle it.

I agree. It's the only way to ensure that it's done fairly. If there's no risk of exposure, there's little reason not to be sneaky. We all sortof trust each other because of our Interference/online community. If that trust is going to be abused, exposure online is appropriate imo.

OK. I'll post in here, but without reading Tony's comments or original post, as I have him blocked and my day has probably been less stressful because of that.

I had no problems with the way the list was run in terms of the plus-1; I also had no problems the way it was run in 2009, where that was not allowed. I had no problems and enjoyed being able to leave the line for several hours at a time to be a tourist and spend time with friends in 2011. It allowed me to be showered and have all my energy for the show. I did not complain when there were four daily check-ins in Montreal or every other hour in 2009, 2005, and 2001.

I don't disagree with the concept of the list because since 2001 it's the only thing I've ever known. But if the rules change I will follow the rules, whatever they may be.

The point being is you follow the rules of whoever is running the list. That's how you become a decent person and make friends. Some of my very best friends I met through U2.

I'm confused why Tony would go after me, since I had no role in running either of the two lines, but I think it's better he goes after me because with strangers I have a pretty tough skin, and think it's better he leave everyone else alone.

And now, to bring it back in, my experience in Pittsburgh was very pleasant. No one tried to cut to the very front of the line, there was very little bickering, the weather was great, food was nearby, I had my friends with me. I got to put on a birthday party for one of them. It was fantastic.

:heart:

So follow their rules and get there as early as you want on the day of the gig?

Well what time would you call that, then? (I'm not being snarky..)

Because even with a list, it got backed up from 7 am, to 6 am, to 4 am..I think 4 am was the earliest it got changed to, though.

So what is "the day of"? 12:01 am? :D

gvox said:
Well what time would you call that, then? (I'm not being snarky..)

Because even with a list, it got backed up from 7 am, to 6 am, to 4 am..I think 4 am was the earliest it got changed to, though.

So what is "the day of"? 12:01 am? :D

Oh I just meant start lining up whenever you can. That's all.

"follow the rules of who is organising the line" sounds like a massive load of unnecessary bullshit to me, particularly given you can still get an awesome spot if you don't line up three months in advance.

Mark, what time did you get in line in Toronto?

After travelling from Montreal to Toronto....then dropping my car off at home to get to the subway to get to the Rogers Center, I signed up at 3pm the day before on the list.

On showdate, I believe I was there at the stadium at 4 or 5 am for rollcall?

I can't remember..

I was the one that put U2Brothr on the list. He asked if his friend that was on top of the bridge could be put on the list. I said only if he comes down here.

There was no problem. U2Brothr got his friend and both were on the list during my shift 3am - 6am.

Exactly. I went to the letter of the law. I drove from Toronto. Arrived at the bridge. Parked on the bridge illegally. Left Mike with my car. Ran down. Got my name on the list. 77, I think at 5 am a day before the show. (crazy!).
Then ran back upstairs. Told Mike you have to go down and get a number. Someone showed up between us. He ended up with 79, despite being within 3 meters of said list.

5 am before the show used to be prime......

Looks like next year I have to arrive at the town 3 days before showday.

I know some people that flew first thing in the morning from Montreal and got numbers before mine. I didn't end up doing the line after all, but would have been in the 120's if I did. I'm seriously hoping that those people that had numbers before you were just the ones lucky enough to fly, and not train or drive it. I arrived at 4:30.

This thread is all the reason we need to can the list. Why continue to use an unnecessary method that only causes strife amongst the fanbase?

But then we come back to "ok, what time do we show up to line up then"? And who decides that, and what if someone comes at 5 minutes before that...and..and..

In a perfect world, we'd all just find a way to sort ourselves fairly at, say 6 am, without too much worry about being number 1 vs number 19, and then hold the line from that point forward.

Sadly, however, some people really do worry too much about being number 1 vs number 19, so it breeds this kind of situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom