June 30, 2009 - Camp Nou Barcelona - SPAIN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are my impressions, this was my 20th U2 show, fourth tour, but with the exception of PopMart all my other U2 shows were in arenas. I had GA and was in the circle (most of my previous shows were GA too).

SO, I had a fantastic time, it is so awesome to see them live again. I was with a large group of friends, most of whom had never seen U2 live before, and they had a total blast. That being said, yes it was the first show of the tour and there were several screw-ups which affected the overall energy and flow (not just One, but Still haven´t found, WOWY, and other minor things). I also saw the first Elevation night in Miami and as I remember it seemed much more tight than last night. So I must say this was definately in the lower end of the shows I have seen. Still, U2´s worst show is still an amazing experience and way better than most other live bands.

I don´t think Breathe was the best choice as an opener, but overall the first half of the show was really great. The energy was great, things were flowing etc. Being in the circle is amazing, it´s like seeing them in a club but having as a back-drop a stadium with 100,000 and a beautiful sky over your head. Umbelievable :drool:

Then somehow things went down, it seems to me from Walk On, and I unfortunately have to blame the Ang San Suu Ki masks and the Desmond TuTu speech before Streets. Btw, I am not someone who has any major with Bono´s political campaigning, quite the contrary, I fully support him and I think people who expect politics to be completely out of U2 shows should go see another band. BUT, the way they did it just does not work and it sort of killed the mood. No one was really wearing the masks, although many held them in their hands, which was ok, but it didn´t really work the way Bono seemed to have hoped. Streets should start as it always has before, with an awesome segue from another song. Now Desmond Tutu is talking and people are listening to his speech (which is good, that´s not the problem), instead of getting excited when the music starts, and as a result the song felt quite flat, which is a big problem I think since Streets is supposed to be this super-intense moment, lifting up the spirit of even the ´worst´ show. They did bring back the full lights at the beginning though which is good, but the energy and build-up was not what it should be.

Then after the One screw up, the energy of both the band and the crowd sort of went down, they obviously did not seem very pleased with themselves, and the crowd felt kind of uncomfortable.

That being said there were several high points:
-The stage is awesome, I totally love the way they use it
-Bono sounded great, I don´t know what people who said he sounded bad are talking about. Ultraviolet and MOS were amazing vocally.
-Unknown Caller was GREAT. Much better than I expected. They put the lyrics of the chorus on the screens so everyone was chanting and it really worked :up: Probably the best song from NLOTH along with Magnificient IMO
-I think MOS will also be great live, but it seemed unrehearsed last night. Not entirely convinced it works as a closer but I think if they nail the live version it could
-Loved Angel of Harlem with the Michael Jackson snipperts. UF was great as well, I was so happy and emotional to hear that song live, but the crowd was not that enthusiastic.
-Ultraviolet was amazing, absolutely love the way the re-worked the song
-Vertigo totally rocked the house, people can say what they want about this song, but it kicks ass live.
-SBS was great as usual, it´s a classic, one of the best songs ever written and a sure crowd pleasure, it totally belong sin the set-list :up: Pride was good too, with modified ooh ooh chants at the beginning. I personally don´t care whether or not they play this song. WOWY was a bit flat, I love the song but they can´t seem to play it live like they used to.

I am not sure what is my verdict on Crazy Tonight. On one hand I like the song and loved the live version from Letterman so I was looking forward to hearing it live. But I must say the dance version adds a different twist to the set, and it´s great that the whole band comes on the rail with Larry on the Jimbe.

So overall no, it was not U2´s best show and in a way I was a bit dissapointed. It started well but ended kind of weirdly. But I really don´t think there is any reason to worry, they need to work out the pace and flow of the show and set-list, and work a bit more on a few songs (also try not to fuck-up old ones like One and WOWY, although it seems Bono was having some problems with his monitors so I think that´s why it went bad), BUT I´m sure this tour will be awesome, and that when I see them again in Dublin in 3 weeks things will have improved a lot already :up:

oceane,

Great review, thank you for the details and honest assessment.
:)

Question for oceane or anyone else who was there or knows:

What was the floatie thing that was descending towards the crowd and stage right before the lights went out, could anyone expain exactly what that was?

<>

Great show. They need to work on MOS but the other NLOTH tracks sounded great - particularly Crazy! That one, UV,UF and the MJ snippets were my highlights. Roll on Dublin!:hyper:

A few early tour mis-haps but thoroughly enjoyed the show - when was the last time an opening night went completely smoothly? Great atmosphere, the band seemed generally in good spirits. Hearing UF was a near pant-wetting moment (I thought he forgot some of the words but surely somebody would have moaned about that by now?).

Liked Breathe as an opener, all the NLOTH songs seemed to get a good response. Roll on Dublin :drool:

Thanks, Oceane for the review.

U2 will get this thing down. It'll take 2-3 weeks but as always they'll come through. And opening nights are rough for any band, especially U2 when they have so much to work with. New songs, old songs, & this giganic production (which looks amazing).

Trust me, I was at Popmart in Las Vegas and heard the bootlegs from Europe, then saw them on the 3rd. Night & day of a show.

I also saw the first Elevation night in Miami and as I remember it seemed much more tight than last night.

Didn't Bono fall off the stage in Miami? I seem to remember watching video of it. Barcelona couldn't have been worse than that.

a little question for you: did the stage really turn? in other words, do the people sitting behind the stage see everything well or do they only see their backs?
I have two sets of tickets for Boston and I am trying to figure out which one I should keep for myself and which one I should give out. One set is on the back, really close to them and one is further away but with a view from the front. Advices would be great! THANK YOU!
And thanks for the pics, they are amazing!

We are both in the exact same predicament!!! HA! I have no idea which to choose yet!
If anyone sees videos or pics from behind, Id love to see them. Hopefully with a few more shows, there will be more videos from this vantage point available.

Here are my impressions, this was my 20th U2 show, fourth tour, but with the exception of PopMart all my other U2 shows were in arenas. I had GA and was in the circle (most of my previous shows were GA too).

SO, I had a fantastic time, it is so awesome to see them live again. I was with a large group of friends, most of whom had never seen U2 live before, and they had a total blast. That being said, yes it was the first show of the tour and there were several screw-ups which affected the overall energy and flow (not just One, but Still haven´t found, WOWY, and other minor things). I also saw the first Elevation night in Miami and as I remember it seemed much more tight than last night. So I must say this was definately in the lower end of the shows I have seen. Still, U2´s worst show is still an amazing experience and way better than most other live bands.

I don´t think Breathe was the best choice as an opener, but overall the first half of the show was really great. The energy was great, things were flowing etc. Being in the circle is amazing, it´s like seeing them in a club but having as a back-drop a stadium with 100,000 and a beautiful sky over your head. Umbelievable :drool:

Then somehow things went down, it seems to me from Walk On, and I unfortunately have to blame the Ang San Suu Ki masks and the Desmond TuTu speech before Streets. Btw, I am not someone who has any major with Bono´s political campaigning, quite the contrary, I fully support him and I think people who expect politics to be completely out of U2 shows should go see another band. BUT, the way they did it just does not work and it sort of killed the mood. No one was really wearing the masks, although many held them in their hands, which was ok, but it didn´t really work the way Bono seemed to have hoped. Streets should start as it always has before, with an awesome segue from another song. Now Desmond Tutu is talking and people are listening to his speech (which is good, that´s not the problem), instead of getting excited when the music starts, and as a result the song felt quite flat, which is a big problem I think since Streets is supposed to be this super-intense moment, lifting up the spirit of even the ´worst´ show. They did bring back the full lights at the beginning though which is good, but the energy and build-up was not what it should be.

Then after the One screw up, the energy of both the band and the crowd sort of went down, they obviously did not seem very pleased with themselves, and the crowd felt kind of uncomfortable.

That being said there were several high points:
-The stage is awesome, I totally love the way they use it
-Bono sounded great, I don´t know what people who said he sounded bad are talking about. Ultraviolet and MOS were amazing vocally.
-Unknown Caller was GREAT. Much better than I expected. They put the lyrics of the chorus on the screens so everyone was chanting and it really worked :up: Probably the best song from NLOTH along with Magnificient IMO
-I think MOS will also be great live, but it seemed unrehearsed last night. Not entirely convinced it works as a closer but I think if they nail the live version it could
-Loved Angel of Harlem with the Michael Jackson snipperts. UF was great as well, I was so happy and emotional to hear that song live, but the crowd was not that enthusiastic.
-Ultraviolet was amazing, absolutely love the way the re-worked the song
-Vertigo totally rocked the house, people can say what they want about this song, but it kicks ass live.
-SBS was great as usual, it´s a classic, one of the best songs ever written and a sure crowd pleasure, it totally belong sin the set-list :up: Pride was good too, with modified ooh ooh chants at the beginning. I personally don´t care whether or not they play this song. WOWY was a bit flat, I love the song but they can´t seem to play it live like they used to.

I am not sure what is my verdict on Crazy Tonight. On one hand I like the song and loved the live version from Letterman so I was looking forward to hearing it live. But I must say the dance version adds a different twist to the set, and it´s great that the whole band comes on the rail with Larry on the Jimbe.

So overall no, it was not U2´s best show and in a way I was a bit dissapointed. It started well but ended kind of weirdly. But I really don´t think there is any reason to worry, they need to work out the pace and flow of the show and set-list, and work a bit more on a few songs (also try not to fuck-up old ones like One and WOWY, although it seems Bono was having some problems with his monitors so I think that´s why it went bad), BUT I´m sure this tour will be awesome, and that when I see them again in Dublin in 3 weeks things will have improved a lot already :up:

Awesome review!!! Thanks for posting!

thanks for the review! In all, sounds like this show was a lot better than the opener in San Diego, where they did not use the catwalk at all and had no interaction with the audience.

What did you think of the ISS hook-up? Cook, forced, or completely pre-recorded to look live?

thanks for all the reviews and pics......hopefully, they will work on tweeking the problems and the setlist til it all works out...I agree about U2 live on a bad day is still awesome:drool:

Nice review oceane. nice to see you can provide balance to your review, and have the intergity to highlight the bands/gigs shortcomings, as well as the high points. ad much rather read that than a rose tinted spectacles/biased review:up::applaud:
Having said that...i do kinda enjoy the fuck ups, as you know your not eing cheated.

Didn't Bono fall off the stage in Miami? I seem to remember watching video of it. Barcelona couldn't have been worse than that.

Yeah he did, but if anything it was kind of a funny/memorable/endearing moment more than a fuck up. Overall from what I rememeber the band was tighter and more confident for the opening night of Elevation, but honestly I don´t think it means anything for the rest of the tour.

Also, I was not sure about the ISS feed. It was kind of an original idea and provided a funny moment, but it was a bit long and seems both too rehearsed and slightly akward. Plus, are they seriously going to call them every night? If it was a one off I think it´s great, but not sure it should become a feature of the show.

The stage itself does not rotate, but Larry´s drumkit does, and the others can just move around. So they do play for the back of the crowd on some occasions. The bridges move too.

Also, despite my criticism (I can´t help being over analytical as most of us harcores are), I want to reiterate that I had a total blast and so did all my friends!:up:

I posted more details about the GA experience in the GA procedures thread too if anyone is interested.

:love: Well its easy to crtique, and its all subjective. I excited that the tour is on its way and I will "in the moment" at the show not standing there psuedo listening so i can post a review fruaght with anaylisis biased by the expectation that every thing be air brushed and perfect . Its live show in real time, go with it or go home. :lol:

thanks for the pics and the review,
the guys look great, you'd never know that they were almost 50 years old!

What did you think of the ISS hook-up? Cook, forced, or completely pre-recorded to look live?

I couldn't tell if it was prerecorded. I guess I'll know tomorrow. But it was kind of corny and non-spontaneous. You could tell the astronauts were reading their part from behind the papers that were holding up. (which might have said "The future needs a big kiss"?)

I thought this and pointed it out in another thread when I saw the rehearsal setlists. I like the song also, but I don't see it as an opener. No Line is a perfect opening song for this tour IMO.

i could totally see them switching it up for the 2nd show:

01. no line...
02. magnificent
03. goyb
04. breathe

switching out IALW for Drowning Man
switching out "i'll go crazy.." for either "even better..." or mysterious ways

or they could just play the same show as they did last night :shrug:

-dan

i could totally see them switching it up for the 2nd show:

01. no line...
02. magnificent
03. goyb
04. breathe

switching out IALW for Drowning Man
switching out "i'll go crazy.." for either "even better..." or mysterious ways

or they could just play the same show as they did last night :shrug:

-dan

Doubt the setlist will be identical. But "Elevation", "Drowning Man" and "Mysterious Ways" will probably be in there.

I hope Drowning Man is in there tomorrow and I hope we have audio this time

Fucking awesome. Yes, there wer some issues, ranging from One (which was interesting to see at least) to acoustics problems near the stage. Overall, the whole cocept and production blew me away, and I cannot express how excited I was to hear Bono say "This is a song we haven't played in twenty years" as they launched into TUF. The MJ tribute section was great, and AOH was the point where I really got into the show, Crazy was fucking insane, I loved it, TUF made my life, Ultra Violet and the suit of lights and the microphone Bono was swinging on around the stage were great.

The band used the whole stage, and I'd say they spent no more than 50% if that playing to the front. I was right in front of Edge, 2nd row, and couldn't see anyone but Larry for a good deal of the time (but I'm short, so I had trouble seeing the catwalks). I'd say they weren't lying when they said there's no bad seat in the house, unless you got stuck behind one of the claw legs.

Agree with rose that the space station thing was a bit forced. It really slowed down the show. I definitely got a kick out of how ridiculously extravagant it was but I am not looking forward to the show grinding to a total stop for it 10 more times that I'm there.

The masks were creepy. During Walk On I didn't really care, but at other points in the show I nearly had a heart attack turning around and seeing some guy with the black and white eyeless face on the back of his head. Also they ended up dirty and covered in cigarette butts on the ground....not terribly respectful. (I second the comment about the chain smoking. Do you really need to smoke during the show?)

I'm exhausted, and still have tomorrow to go...looking forward to seeing how they tweak the setlis.

I cannot express how excited I was to hear Bono say "This is a song we haven't played in twenty years" as they launched into TUF.

:chills: I REALLY hope they play this in Vegas.

I was right in front of Edge, 2nd row

What time did you line up?

(I second the comment about the chain smoking. Do you really need to smoke during the show?)

I am a full on smoker, but gawd, I do not smoke at U2 shows. I do not smoke in such crowded places. I think its just disrespectful to the people around you, and if you cant wait a couple of hours to have a cigarette then there is definitely something wrong with you!

Random note: as I rode the cab to the Barcelona airport last night, I noticed the driver was playing the U2 Go Home CD. We got to talking about the tour, and he told me he had tickets for tonight's show. When he started asking me about the setlist, I told him that I couldn't spoil it for him, because of The Unforgettable Fire and Ultraviolet (or whatever other rabbits U2 decide to pull out of their hat for tomorrow). He then said that he took another U2 fan to the airport earlier in the day who said the same thing. They better not make liars out of us tonight.

Also, regarding smoking: it's totally standard in Spain and probably a lot of other countries in Europe (I went to a Barca match in March and a guy two seats away was smoking a rather robust cigar). It's best just to be prepared for it and deal accordingly.

My thruppence from the fifth tier i.e. above the top of the Claw!

- Breathe wasn't the best opener. It was good to have each band member come onstage individually but the song didn't have the oompf to raise the roof from the start

- some of the speakers point upwards but the sound wasn't great

- Edge's guitar could barely be heard for the first few songs, only Bono's voice and the drums were clearly heard, although still occasionally blown by the wind

- the stage set is incredible, and the production of the lights and video were stunning

- however, when the video curtain comes down it blocked out our view of most of the stage, leaving just the walkways below us visible

- I LOVED the dance version of Crazy Tonight, it came completely out of the blue, the video to introduce it was great too, with close up black n white mug shots of each band member looking very serious but nodding funkily to the beat

- Bono's voice was superb! Especially during MLK, In A Little While and NLOTH

- I didn't get the space station link-up at all. But then I couldn't really hear a lot of what was being said as the guy sitting beside me was making a feckin phone call, man I was soooo dying to tell him to shut the fck up. Also it wasn't helped by the crowd cheering at every mention of Barcelona. The whole scene went on far too long and didn't really seem to have a point. Also there were a few clouds in the sky when the astronaut said he could see Barcelona :)

- Adam and Edge were all around the stage and walkway, confidently strutting their stuff

- at one stage all the band were playing to the back except Larry who was left playing to the front; later only Bono was out on the front walkway whilst the rest played to the back

- the old style intro to Streets was great but it was held back by following Bishop Tutu's speech, and Edge not playing the full jangly guitar intro. Bono and Edge both sprinted around half the walkway during the song, and it's a fair ol distance!

- I got all excited when I heard "sometimes I feel like I don't know" but Ultraviolet didn't get me like it should have. I initially thought Bono was on a wire when he was swinging and thought "oh no Bono, nooo" but then I realised it was the microphone that was swinging from the Claw, and Bono was just holding on to it for a wee swing

- the MJ snippets were great, as was the Primal Scream one

- the light show for CoBL was superb, I got a great snap of the blinding lights that swarm around the audience

- One: I noticed Bono playing with his earphones, and he seemed to say something to someone in the pit below him during the song. He seemed to lose his place in the song, I noticed this quite quickly but I remember thinking the band were playing it perfectly. Bono then insisted they all stop to follow his lead - twice, "Edge, listen to me, I'll count you in" :)

- UF was great but the Spanish audience didn't seem to recognise it. Or In a Little While, both of which were superb.

- it was still a great U2 concert, cock-ups included, on a gorgeous balmy night in Barcelona. It was a true, genuine privilege to be there.

Thanks everyone for all the great (read "honest") reviews. I had one bad conert experience with u2 and I really don't want another so I hope they get the kinks worked out over the next few shows. I'm curious to read reviews from the next show. That being said, they're human and bound to make mistakes, but it's still a bummer.

I am so excited to hear the reviews of Unknown Caller. I LOVE that song. I'm really glad to hear it translates well live and I can just imagine hearing a whole stadium sing the chorus (chills!!)

I can really do without Sunday Bloody Sunday. I love that song, but after so many times seeing it live last tour (and seeing the U23D movie multiple times) that's the only song I ever really got sick of. Sorry to say.

Thanks so much for the pix and the comments. The tour machine is rolling and I can't wait!
:applaud:

I was in Elevation 1st night at Ft. Lauderdale and Bono did fall off the stage but the concert was fantastic, specially hearing Sweetest Thing live for the first time was really really great and unexpected, I was right infront of Edge and when he went to the piano and started the first notes I could't believe they were gonna play it but they did. It was a fantastic concert and one of my favs of the 16 U2 gigs I have been.

Definitely Breathe is an unexpected opener and I believe it was not the best choice, NLOTH or Magnificent would be far best, is not the same as Vertigo tour considering either Vertigo or COBL both are fantastic openers, better COBL from my point of view, not the case for Breathe. My thoughts.

So, is there an inner circle or so for GA or just one GA area? first come first serve?

See you all in NY, GA both nights camping!
Cheers!

I was in Elevation 1st night at Ft. Lauderdale and Bono did fall off the stage but the concert was fantastic, specially hearing Sweetest Thing live for the first time was really really great and unexpected, I was right infront of Edge and when he went to the piano and started the first notes I could't believe they were gonna play it but they did. It was a fantastic concert and one of my favs of the 16 U2 gigs I have been.

Definitely Breathe is an unexpected opener and I believe it was not the best choice, NLOTH or Magnificent would be far best, is not the same as Vertigo tour considering either Vertigo or COBL both are fantastic openers, better COBL from my point of view, not the case for Breathe. My thoughts.

So, is there an inner circle or so for GA or just one GA area? first come first serve?

See you all in NY, GA both nights camping!
Cheers!

Sorry my mistake (late and tired yesterday) Bono was at the piano!

Back
Top Bottom