July 8, 2009 - San Siro Milan - ITALY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
Please post your photos, experiences and reviews for this show here.

There seems to be a total lack of reviews anywhere at the moment, even on both u2gigs and u2tours,

let's start a conspiracy theory that none of these shows are actually occuring. between a lack of rehearsal videos and now this, my theory is that the Claw just projects the images of fans in an empty stadium...:ohmy:

Yeah I am a little surprised here. Last tour this forum was very very busy. Then again, they started in the U.S. I think we just generally have a lot more U.S. members maybe?

I think Last Unicorn went to this show. I know she went to the first one.

^ yes she was there with me :wink:...both shows actually. we took a lot of pics. but i had no internet the last days. my pics are coming next week. :wave:

Italy has its own U2 fan site. If you want concert reviews, I'd go to that site and find them.

Hi. I originally posted this reply in the Red Zone thread, but I will post it here for you.

OK well, I was on San Siro on Wednesday. It was my first ever U2 show. I'm glad I went but I don't think I will do it again, unless they come to my country. Now, I must admit that I like thir music, but I am definately not a U2 worshipper. And I guess you need to be a really BIG fan of a group to really enjoy it live. I don't know yet why but I was kind of disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high... I don't really know.

About Red Zone:
We went about half an hour early and there were about 60-80, maybe a hundred people already in, most were at the racks, so we got seats. Seats were folded though before U2 went on stage, but there was plenty of space on the ground if you wanted to sit down, which noone wanted
smily.gif
I had a spot on the rack, towards the far end of the rail. Edge came our way once, Adam twice, Bono once. Most of the time they were on mainstage, several times facing the back of the stage.

I wasn't very happy with the sound either. It sounded blurred quite often. I don't know, maybe it's always like that in a live show... remember, it's my first experience.

Camcorders were allowed in. Water and food with no limitations, too. People from RZ in Milan were not allowed to go into inner circle back and forth. So if you want a good RZ spot, I suggest you go early, take a seat and once people start coming, stand up and go to the racks.

I did really enjoy several songs. I liked the techno version of Crazy Tonight and the inclusion of D. Tutu's speech. The show itself of course was great, lights and everything. But it seemed to me that Bono lacked the passion I've seen him perform with on other occasions... Or maybe it's the difference between video and live, I don't really know.

Sorry if this sounded negative, it's not, but that's the way it felt. I see you are all big fans of the group and I guess it will be different for you. Last year I went to see my favourite band Delirious? and they're not a very big band and they don't put up large custom made stages... but I liket it better.

So, my final word is: in a live show what matters most is... you. If you feel the songs and can sing them from your heart, you will enjoy the show, no matter the surroundings. :up:

p.s. One last advice: forget your cameras at home. Or take a few pictures of the stage, the stadium and yourself and then put it in your pocket and forget about it. Enjoy the music and the show. There are plenty of pictures of the group in the web and it was ugly to me how everyone was trying to take pictures of Bono instead of trying to look him in the eyes and interact with him. And I know the temptation to take pictures is great. How do I know... um, guess. Good thing my camera went out of power.

p.p.s. I don't have many pictures and very few of them are of good quality, so I don't think they would be of any interest.

I've never been to a U2 show in Italy before but I'll do it again and again. Wow, what a difference! U2 are as good as their audience is and in Milan, it was one big celebration. Great energy. The band was totally communicating with the crowd.

Both nights were incredible. I'm so glad we decided on GA for the first and on seats for the second night .... it's just so different. If you want to be in the middle of it all and close to the band, GA is the way to go. Standing at the catwalk or in the front of stage area is incredible. But if you want a good view of the stage, a good impression of the lights, the visuals, the screen ... go for the seats.

We were above the stage the second night and saw everything, amazing!

I met people who never were to a U2 show and who didn't know many of their songs and they were really into it, enjoying the show, very enthusiastic. I met two guys from my country who asked me about every song they didn't know. They loved the show.

I took my camera in for night 2 because I wanted to enjoy the first show without having to take care of my camera. Bono was in front of me several times, once, during COBL, even taking his shades off and looking into my eyes. Wow.

I loved both shows. U2 were very much into it. The fans were celebrating like crazy, singing along to every song, even the new ones. The more energetic ones brought the house down, while the slower ones really created a beautiful atmosphere. Bono's voice was incredible, simply blew me away. Great shows, I'm so glad I went to Milan for both concerts. Now I cannot wait for the rest of my concerts.

italians do it better, ha?:applaud: :heart: last time I went to Rome, now Milan, next time I'd see them in Italy again if possible

I've never been to a U2 show in Italy before but I'll do it again and again. Wow, what a difference! U2 are as good as their audience is and in Milan, it was one big celebration. Great energy. The band was totally communicating with the crowd...

Excellent, thanks for your review, LU!

I've never been to a U2 show in Italy before but I'll do it again and again. Wow, what a difference! U2 are as good as their audience is and in Milan, it was one big celebration. Great energy. The band was totally communicating with the crowd.

Both nights were incredible. I'm so glad we decided on GA for the first and on seats for the second night .... it's just so different. If you want to be in the middle of it all and close to the band, GA is the way to go. Standing at the catwalk or in the front of stage area is incredible. But if you want a good view of the stage, a good impression of the lights, the visuals, the screen ... go for the seats.

We were above the stage the second night and saw everything, amazing!

I met people who never were to a U2 show and who didn't know many of their songs and they were really into it, enjoying the show, very enthusiastic. I met two guys from my country who asked me about every song they didn't know. They loved the show.

I took my camera in for night 2 because I wanted to enjoy the first show without having to take care of my camera. Bono was in front of me several times, once, during COBL, even taking his shades off and looking into my eyes. Wow.

I loved both shows. U2 were very much into it. The fans were celebrating like crazy, singing along to every song, even the new ones. The more energetic ones brought the house down, while the slower ones really created a beautiful atmosphere. Bono's voice was incredible, simply blew me away. Great shows, I'm so glad I went to Milan for both concerts. Now I cannot wait for the rest of my concerts.

It's always best in Italy....I tried Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria and Italy is in the league of its own...
Band can be totaly crappy, but the audience lifts every gig on a different level.
In 2001 I was in Torino and it was the only gig on that (and on many other) tour where they played 2 songs on unplanned encore... They always finished with Walk On, but in Torino they came back with lights on and played Out of Control and Pride :)

Back
Top Bottom