July 5, 2011 - Soldier Field - Chicago, IL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Additional thoughts...

Still getting over the fact they pulled out OTH at the end. Definitely feeling blessed to have been there for that.

As a previous poster mentioned, I could definitely smell marijuana at one point in the pit. Not sure if I thought I was the only one, but that was definitely a first at a U2 show for me. :hmm:

Regarding the GA experience, I can't really leave with any complaints from this one. I signed up in the line the night before at around #193 and still managed to get a front row spot just to the left of Edge. Would it have been nice to have been closer to the center like the last show I was at? Sure, no question. But I still got a good show out of it and met some nice people, so not all was lost. I just go with the flow on how the crowd handles the line police, honestly (for lack of a better term, haha). At Chicago 1 in 2009, the security basically told everyone first come, first serve, and that was the end of that. This time around, they didn't seem to fight it too much, and me and lot of other people still got a pretty good spot (and some time inside Soldier Field out of the sun).

So while it could've been worse, I don't really have any complaints about how the night turned out for me. Every venue is going to handle those people differently, and there's not much I can do about it until I see what they're doing and I'll just go from there.

Wow, you must have been some speed-walker, then! :lol: When push comes to shove, it's all about how you make the walk into the stadium that can give you a big advantage, regardless of line number.

In Soldier Field, should have entered the pit from Edge's side, since the entry onto the field was closer to Edge's side.

Wow, you must have been some speed-walker, then! :lol: When push comes to shove, it's all about how you make the walk into the stadium that can give you a big advantage, regardless of line number.

In Soldier Field, should have entered the pit from Edge's side, since the entry onto the field was closer to Edge's side.

Very true on the walking thing! Another thing to keep in line is that even if your numbered in this fan-started line, there's going to be a lot of people that don't show up. Plus, when we made our way in the tunnel, they let us go in groups, not one-by-one or something along those lines. With that, it's pretty much like you said, a speed walking deal!

I entered the pit on Edge's side, and I nearly made a run for Adam's side of the stage before realizing that there wasn't going to be much of a difference. Either way, it worked out nicely on my end.

I could definitely smell marijuana at one point in the pit. Not sure if I thought I was the only one, but that was definitely a first at a U2 show for me. :hmm:

Srsly? Awwwh. :therethere: I don't mean to sound patronizing, but you must be really young. ??
I don't even smoke cigarettes much less weed, but I would be surprised if I didn't smell it at these big outdoor shows. It's to be expected. Every single big outdoor show/festival I have ever been to I have seen it, smelt it , including U2.
I was more put off by getting bombed with the fog machine over and over in our corner of the red zone at my show :D

Additional thoughts...

Still getting over the fact they pulled out OTH at the end. Definitely feeling blessed to have been there for that.

As a previous poster mentioned, I could definitely smell marijuana at one point in the pit. Not sure if I thought I was the only one, but that was definitely a first at a U2 show for me. :hmm:

Regarding the GA experience, I can't really leave with any complaints from this one. I signed up in the line the night before at around #193 and still managed to get a front row spot just to the left of Edge. Would it have been nice to have been closer to the center like the last show I was at? Sure, no question. But I still got a good show out of it and met some nice people, so not all was lost. I just go with the flow on how the crowd handles the line police, honestly (for lack of a better term, haha). At Chicago 1 in 2009, the security basically told everyone first come, first serve, and that was the end of that. This time around, they didn't seem to fight it too much, and me and lot of other people still got a pretty good spot (and some time inside Soldier Field out of the sun).

So while it could've been worse, I don't really have any complaints about how the night turned out for me. Every venue is going to handle those people differently, and there's not much I can do about it until I see what they're doing and I'll just go from there.

My only comment on the GA: I know that the numbering is unofficial. However, I thought that the numbering scheme helped keep things orderly, particularly after the mid-morning move into the shade.

As for the weed smoker: I was outer rail on Edge's side, and based on which way the wind was blowing, the weed smoker was at my 4:00. A bunch of security guards came over about halfway through the show, and I thought they were trying to find where the smoker was. I was almost a full head taller than anyone else around me, and as such am pretty good at picking people out of crowds, but I couldn't find him.

Still, what a mind-boggling show. I've had nothing but U2 floating through my head for the 5 days since the show.

Srsly? Awwwh. :therethere: I don't mean to sound patronizing, but you must be really young. ??
I don't even smoke cigarettes much less weed, but I would be surprised if I didn't smell it at these big outdoor shows. It's to be expected. Every single big outdoor show/festival I have ever been to I have seen it, smelt it , including U2.
I was more put off by getting bombed with the fog machine over and over in our corner of the red zone at my show :D

No, not at all! :) I'm actually in my mid-20s, and as I said earlier, there were plenty of people in the pit that were younger than me too. And I've been to plenty of concerts before where you could easily smell someone smoking weed. Like you implied, it's expected to some degree. Just happened to be my first time seeing it happen in the pit at a U2 show!

My only comment on the GA: I know that the numbering is unofficial. However, I thought that the numbering scheme helped keep things orderly, particularly after the mid-morning move into the shade.

As for the weed smoker: I was outer rail on Edge's side, and based on which way the wind was blowing, the weed smoker was at my 4:00. A bunch of security guards came over about halfway through the show, and I thought they were trying to find where the smoker was. I was almost a full head taller than anyone else around me, and as such am pretty good at picking people out of crowds, but I couldn't find him.

Still, what a mind-boggling show. I've had nothing but U2 floating through my head for the 5 days since the show.

Agreed on the orderly comments there. If people are willing to see a trade-off with the whole being first thing, having a numbering system is nice for getting to leave, reserving spots, etc. And yeah, the songs played that night have had a high rotation in my head and CD player since Tuesday! ;)

I dont get all the complaining about he GA line and who is front and center and how unfair some people are.

I personally know some of these girls you are complaining about, I too dont understand their need to be front and center, i know they 'cheat' to sometimes get a better spot in GA. I know 50-100 people who are in the 'IN' crowd will be at the start of the list. I know people will save spots on the rail for their friends further back in line. I know people jump the line. I know alot of other stuff that goes on is not fair.

What I dont get is after such a great show, why you come back here to complain about all these things. Get Over it, you were at a u2 show.

I was 315 in line, i didnt rush, i didnt push, i didnt run and I got a great spot to see the show. The People around me were nice and we even gave a 7yo girl a spot on the rail so she could see.

Negative people will always see the negative

agreed!

Effects of pot at a U2 concert:

a) scarfing down way, way overpriced pizza and pretzels when you get the munchies

b) laughing hysterically at Bono's shortness, Adam's sparkly shirts and the Zooropa intro ("Where is my mind? How could I have been so stupid? What. the. fuck?")

So to bring this convo back on topic, I wish to tell some fangirling stories with the guitar techs:

Stuart was playing Adam's bass and there was a lull in the PA music, so I yell out "STUAAART!!!". The gal beside me is also a true Adam fan, so we give him the thumbs-up and he smiles. We continue waving and thumbs-upping him. Later, a bassless Stuart walks alongside Dallas as they come to Adam's side of the stage, and Dallas gives a huge wave and mega-watt smile to us/ Adam's side. He's such a beauty, he looks like a blonde haired Californian surfer. Although Dallas had a lime green pick dangling from his lips, I didn't mind, cos I didn't go to the concert expecting any freebies :lol: I'd like to think (and don't you tell me otherwise :|) that Stu told Dallas, "hey, there're some fans on the rail who I've never see before. They know my name, so they must be pretty hardcore!"

I guess that's a pretty ordinary story, but it was just. so. incredible. It was great foreplay to the love Adam would later show us.

(off to find vids of Stuart talking)

I'll share.

The Edge stood in front of me for at least 45 seconds twice. I have soooo many pics of him. All are good. It's almost as if he was posing for me.

I wouldn't put it past the band to pose for people they haven't seen on the rail before.

This was the best concert I have seen. Aerosmith was my first concert. Pink FLoyd was the most visual. U2 Chicago was the best.

A poster I made with pics I took at the show....
poster.jpg

I'll share.

The Edge stood in front of me for at least 45 seconds twice. I have soooo many pics of him. All are good. It's almost as if he was posing for me.

I wouldn't put it past the band to pose for people they haven't seen on the rail before.

This was the best concert I have seen. Aerosmith was my first concert. Pink FLoyd was the most visual. U2 Chicago was the best.

A poster I made with pics I took at the show....
poster.jpg

Good shots! I got some pretty good ones myself, and I must've been not too far from you, because yours look similar to the ones I got.

I'll post some later, if possible.

Does anyone have a photo or scan of the Soldier Field memo that said "we're getting you out of the sun" :applaud:?

I'm going to email that to the stadium of the other show I'm going to, Minneapolis. Because I'm a pansy like that :lol:. And I think it help sets the bar for the all the other stadiums too :wink:

Thanks for that video!

I don't think TCF Stadium is going to be equipped for moving a line inside like Soldier Field was. Is there even a concourse in that thing?

The trick is that you just need to figure out how you don't let that shit ruin your experience.

Exactly. I got into line at 5 PM. I waited probably less than hour til I got into the stadium. In that hour, I met amazing people, took group photos, got free bracelets, and a had a good time. I was only five rows from the outer rail. Excellent view, excellent sound, excellence all-around.

The fact of the matter is I am short, and I had tall people in front of me. But I don't care if I can't see every member of the band unobstructed. I am in the crowd dancing my butt off. I feel like I am personally giving the band energy. I could not have had a better time.

July 5, 2011 > September 13, 2009 (my first show)

As promised, here are a few of the decent shots I got last week. My camera's a few years old and up for an upgrade, but my distance from the stage helped matters too! Enjoy...

056.jpg

078.jpg

107.jpg

120.jpg

128.jpg

138.jpg

166.jpg

168.jpg

200.jpg

248.jpg

Latest posts

Back