July 30, 2011 - Magnetic Hill, Moncton, New Brunswick, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Part of the problem this time around was that local venues tried to restrict when the GA line could start, which was what prompted people to start a line on paper.

The problem isn't that venues try to restrict when the GA line can start.

And if there are enough fans who buy into the paper system, it doesn't matter what local security say. In Chicago, a group of 5 people managed to get to the front of where the GA line was being set up on the venue property, and the people who had lined up based on the paper system were all crying foul and accusing them of line jumping. But they didn't line jump - they just showed up to start the physical queue when the venue had told them to.

So they were completely in the right.

The problem isn't that venues try to restrict when the GA line can start.

So they were completely in the right.

Anybody that shows up at 5am the morning of a show or whenever the security says they should turn up is hardly "pushing in" IMHO :whistle:

Now if they decide to move infront of people already there (and I'm one of them), then I have a HUGE problem with it! :D . The best compromise is if people are there before a "roll call" and weren't already on the list, i'm afraid they now go to to the top of the line, but only them, not 50 other people they "invite".

Anybody that shows up at 5am the morning of a show or whenever the security says they should turn up is hardly "pushing in" IMHO :whistle:

Now if they decide to move infront of people already there (and I'm one of them), then I have a HUGE problem with it! :D . The best compromise is if people are there before a "roll call" and weren't already on the list, i'm afraid they now go to to the top of the line, but only them, not 50 other people they "invite".

It depends on how it plays out - and what the visibility of what's going on is like. If you're a random fan and you call the stadium, and the stadium tells you to turn up to Gate X at 6am on the day, and you do, and you're the first one at Gate X because security haven't yet sorted out the camping crazies, then you're the first one at Gate X. Well done. Some fan organised line/list thing going on elsewhere is not your problem. Of course if you've arrived at Gate X by wandering past a few hundred U2 fans sleeping on a footpath, then a reasonable person would know that the right thing to do is go the back of that line. But if you genuinely 'miss' that somehow - and I guess at a big stadium on big grounds, that's entirely possible - then whatever, you're first. If the line/list/roll call crowd have a problem with it, it's between them and the stadium staff. It's not your problem. You followed the formal instructions, and you got there first.

In terms of the general idea of a list and people wandering off and whatnot - well, I have no idea why people would ever want to turn up to a venue the day before a gig, and no idea why checking in and checking out like that makes any sense to anyone. So... I don't know.

Fantastic Shots Flaming C. You might be in some of my pics as I took a few looking back that way where you seem to be when the band were there. Take a look.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.189064634491557.51266.100001640643959

I'll have to check this when I get home (more accurately, have my wife look since she has a Facebook account and I do not).

Were you on the back rail of the pit and did you look back often, especially between the breaks and signing to all of the "farewell" songs? If so, there may have been a moment where we acknowledged each other. I cannot which song, though.

I'll have to check this when I get home (more accurately, have my wife look since she has a Facebook account and I do not).

Were you on the back rail of the pit and did you look back often, especially between the breaks and signing to all of the "farewell" songs? If so, there may have been a moment where we acknowledged each other. I cannot which song, though.

You never know. We were singing along to em, trying to guess what was coming next. KEVIN051269 guessed the REM song "End of the World as we know it"!! Here's a pic someone took of us from around about where you were standing.

284540_10150382740080130_526040129_10415424_521526_n.jpg

I'm the guy on the left above KEVIN051269 (whose wearing his green hat)

I'm thinking of someone else. However, did I meet you in Istanbul? I know I met Kevin there because I sold him my extra ticket.

No. I wasn't there. Wish I was but based on what Kevin said with the setup (staidum entry clusterfuck) , maybe I'm glad I didn't.

Earnie Shavers said:
no idea why checking in and checking out like that makes any sense to anyone.

The only thing clear is that different things make sense depending on perspective and different interests..like, Im sure it made TONS of sense for good ol' Vik (and the rest of the Plus 1 aka Top Ten Crew) to negotiate with security that they would all join hands and walk single file to their "rightful" places on the rail - reserved for them by virtue of their number, no less - once inside the gates, of course, only out of genuine concern for the safety of fellow U2 fans' behind them, dont you see? :rolleyes:

I was just frustrated because all this was going on in a big crowd of people, but nobody was doing anything. And then on my walk to find security there was another fight breaking out. I was just sort of like "get me out of here right now!". Luckily just after 3:00 a few cops came in. The guy who assaulted the girl was back packing up the next morning. So lesson learned, if you want to commit a crime do it in front of a bunch of people because nobody will help!

Wow that's scary. I didn't hear anything that night either. We got back to the campsite at around 3:30am and my camping buddies left to drive home so I spent the night alone in my tent.

Hope she's okay now.

I can't believe that someone was assaulted and the cops weren't on it immediately. They were patrolling the damn road just outside the campsite saying it was closed, meanwhile that's going on?! The whole thing was just a big mess. I'm glad we hardly stayed there.

I can't figure out why so many people are upset about the GA situation. Other than the lines being started a bit too early in my opinion, it seemed to work out very well. Everyone knows when a venue posts the time to line up, that's pretty much useless and people have already started a line. :shrug:

I too thought the GA line was well handled for the most part. Much better than the two Boston 2009 shows.

I just wanted to let you all know that if you are interested my friend Peter and I got some REALLY good video (1080p quality) from our spot 3rd or 4th row from the rail in the pit in front of Bono. Peter did most of it as I was too busy dancing and jumping.

Here is a link... 15 videos... a couple of flubs but most of it is pretty good.
Watched it all the other night with my wife and she got a great feeling of what it was like to be in the pit that close to the action.

‪BrunoS4's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Enjoy! See you in 2013 for the next arena tour!!! (according to one of the crew named AJ he he)

I can't figure out why so many people are upset about the GA situation. Other than the lines being started a bit too early in my opinion, it seemed to work out very well...:shrug:

:up: Show up early, tough it out, realize that 0.5 per cent of the line are absolute idiots, delight in meeting new friends -- some of whom will keep you nourished with food that you did not purchase -- and know at the end of the 'struggle,' the greatest night of your life might await...

Then, in the days following, you get to geekily trawl through the Internet and find yourself in other people's concert photos! Pretty good deal.

112g1fa.jpg

Enjoy! See you in 2013 for the next arena tour!!! (according to one of the crew named AJ he he)

:up:

Personally, I hope GA is done away with at future U2 shows. I've done GA for the up close and personal experience w the band, and have since mid Elevation tour. This year, I only queued once from midday because I have had great experiences seeing the show super close up, and I'll never trade it, but at this point in my life, I'm over it.

I just want to go to the show, experience the music and the stage set up and have a good time w/ friends and loved ones.

What's gone on w/ these super mega duper "fans" and their need for band validation (whether they admit it or not) and their resulting actions because of the GA process is just not normal. Time to get a real life.

I can't imagine them ever going back to seats on the floor. I actually hope they don't.

For as much bullshit as some fans create, it's still the place to be, with the most energy. And the band knows it.

I can't imagine them ever going back to seats on the floor. I actually hope they don't.

For as much bullshit as some fans create, it's still the place to be, with the most energy. And the band knows it.

:up:

It's a calculated risk -- but the payoff is so worth it in the end. Moncton was my third time in a row doing GA, and I'll never go back.

angelordevil said:
:up: Show up early, tough it out, realize that 0.5 per cent of the line are absolute idiots, delight in meeting new friends -- some of whom will keep you nourished with food that you did not purchase -- and know at the end of the 'struggle,' the greatest night of your life might await...

100% agree. It's not necessarily for everyone, and that's fine. But if you're willing to put in the effort and it means that much to you, it is more than worth it.

corianderstem said:
"Everyone" = people who actively participate in online U2 fan forums.

Just saying. :)

True. Either that or they've been to a lot of shows and know how it works. Not to sound like a bitch, but if someone doesn't know how it works, it's up to them to figure it out...instead of complain about the way people do things just because it didn't work out well for them.

oktobergirl said:
Personally, I hope GA is done away with at future U2 shows. I've done GA for the up close and personal experience w the band, and have since mid Elevation tour. This year, I only queued once from midday because I have had great experiences seeing the show super close up, and I'll never trade it, but at this point in my life, I'm over it.

I just want to go to the show, experience the music and the stage set up and have a good time w/ friends and loved ones.

What's gone on w/ these super mega duper "fans" and their need for band validation (whether they admit it or not) and their resulting actions because of the GA process is just not normal. Time to get a real life.

If you're over GA, doesn't mean the band should do away with it, just don't buy a GA ticket anymore. There are plenty of big fans who don't care for GA at all. Everyone is different. But it doesn't mean that the people who love it and put a lot of effort into it need to get a life.

KristenCaNaDiAn said:
I hate the idea of being able to buy your way to front row.

Me too. I love that they make GA tickets among the cheapest. In Toronto, the security guard standing by us asked how much we payed to be standing there. When we told him he was shocked. He said he'd done a Bon Jovi show recently and the people standing where we were payed well over a thousand dollars :yikes:

True. Either that or they've been to a lot of shows and know how it works. Not to sound like a bitch, but if someone doesn't know how it works, it's up to them to figure it out...instead of complain about the way people do things just because it didn't work out well for them.

I know what you mean, but I can't help thinking of a fan who only gets to go to one show, and they want to do what they can to get right up front, so they show up at the venue when the stadium says they should ..... and find out that there are already 200 people in front of them.

Not to say that they're going to get a shitty spot now (at least not on this tour), but it sucks, considering probably 150 of those 200 people have gone to 18 shows and have been front row for all of them.

I mean, of course people are going to take whatever advantage they can, and yeah, that's the way it goes, but it's just another checkmark for the "U2 GA can get pretty ridiculous" column. :)

I too thought the GA line was well handled for the most part. Much better than the two Boston 2009 shows.

I just wanted to let you all know that if you are interested my friend Peter and I got some REALLY good video (1080p quality) from our spot 3rd or 4th row from the rail in the pit in front of Bono. Peter did most of it as I was too busy dancing and jumping.

Here is a link... 15 videos... a couple of flubs but most of it is pretty good.
Watched it all the other night with my wife and she got a great feeling of what it was like to be in the pit that close to the action.

‪BrunoS4's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Awesome, thanks!!! Especially love the Out of Control video!!!

They might as well sell the front row spots, why not? If you can afford a transatlantic flight, car rental, 8 or more days off work and all the food and incidental expense involved with being #1 in line for 6 days, you can afford $1000+ for a guaranteed spot.

The people in those spots would likely be a bunch of barely-fans who just blew a wad of cash to say they were front row, stagger in drunk and yak on their cell phones the whole night.

Why? Surely some of us multi-show fans have taken a look at our credit card bills recently..just pony up the cash and show up at 7 PM, why not? Who's to say it would necessarily be a rich drunk douchebag...and even if it was, surely it would be an improvement over a slightly less rich douchebag who waited 6 days and would...aw, nevermind. :|

Back
Top Bottom