July 30, 2011 - Magnetic Hill, Moncton, New Brunswick, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice review Canedge.

I am no longer surprised by the chain invasions I see on my travels. Of course, the chains in Canada are new to us from across the border. My wife and I stopped by Canadian Tire to find some bug spray, had our daily intake of Tim Horton's (which you can find in some places across the border - but not quite like Canada), picked up some items for the car ride at Sobeys and even had a late dinner at Swiss Chalet - all in little old P.E.I. We can make our own version of Zooropa with their advert taglines.

:lol:

I think I said something equally dorky to Win/Regine when I met them at that after party thing a few years ago. "Wow, great job! Really great!"

I am not good around rock and rollers.

:lol: don't worry that is about the best I could ever do, which is why I do not make a huge effort to meet members of bands. I usually end up saying something stupid and just say "will you please sign this" and walk off and get a perplexed look by whoever it is I hand the item to. :) : dork:

So I've just learned that Reeve Carney plays Spiderman in the musical. I knew there was a musical connection to the B-way show but I didn't know he PLAYED the part! :lol:

Living under a rock has prevented me from following all the Spiderman drama and promos of the last several months...:shifty:

Like many others, we arrived in Moncton on Friday evening. My wife and I flew in from Ottawa to Halifax while our friend flew from St. John's. There, we were met by my best friend at the airport, and we went to get supplies to prepare for the following.

We left for Moncton in the evening after my best friend's wife got off work (she's also my wife's best friend). The journey was easy and the traffic was surprisingly fine. We were expecting to see a lot more cars and caravans on the way to Moncton.

In Moncton, we got a few more supplies and we also bought the bus passes. Fortunately, the Shoppers' Drug Mart up on Mountain Road still had some left. Our plan was to drive to the Coliseum and park there early in the morning, and then get a cab to Magnetic Hill. The bus passes would be used for the journey back into the city.

Even though this was our two best friends" first U2 who, they were willing to queue early in the morning. As such, we left our hotel around 6:20 on Saturday morning and went to the Coliseum as planned. There we met a weatherman from P.E.I., who told us that he didn't think the rain would start until around lunch time with most of the rain falling between 1 and 3. We'll revisit this shortly.

We arrived at the GA line around 6:40. Our cab driver was great - he treated his task to get us to Magnetic Hill like it was a rally car race. As such, we were able to get numbers in the mid-200s, thus guaranteeing us a great spot. My wife, our Newfie friend, and I were surprised by getting numbers in the 200s, considering that this was the final show of the tour.

As we were moved in the "pens", the rain began to fall. The Weather Network called for 1 mm of rain in the morning, 5-10 mm in the afternoon, and then the rain dissipating by 8:00. Well, the morning rain was heavy and hard at times and the afternoon rain wasn't any better. Fortunately, as with most GA queues, people were good natured and enjoying the experience. Our best friends had a great time, in particular the female best friend who made friends with everyone around us.

After some confusion, the gates finally opened around 2:45, and we all were herded towards the top of the concert site. But because Carney was still doing their soundchecks, we weren't allowed in. As such, we waited for at least another 40 minutes in the pouring rain. I wasn't impressed with Carney at that moment.

We made our way onto the field around 3:45. We were hoping to get a spot on the outer rail, but people sprinted ahead of us. So, we found a place one person back from the outer rail and right dead centre. It was, as usual, a great spot (and my wife's and mine favourite location), as many can see from the photos and videos posted. The rain finally let up at around 5:00-ish, bringing a welcoming reprieve from the cold and the wet.

Although we weren't impressed with Carney's soundcheck, they surprised us with their music. All five of us thought they were pretty good. Arcade Fire was awesome as usual. Unfortunately, not everyone was rocking with AF around us, but the pit was going ballistic, which was a sign of things to come. IMO, the one-two punch of "Power Out" and "Rebellion" is one of the best combinations of live songs around.

As for U2's show, I thought it was probably the 2nd best show that I saw on the 360 tour. The band opened with a bang and tremendous energy on EBTTRT, and it continued throughout the night. Our friends were ecstatic throughout the show and mesmerized by how often the band members came to the top of the catwalk and how frequently they came out.

While I don't like "Elevation", it was hard not to holler and jump around given the energy of the show. Plus, Bono was right in front of us, so it would have been odd to just mope. Other highlights included our Newfie friend being a mere finger nail away from touching Bono's hand, as Bono laid out on the catwalk just prior to "Sunday Bloody Sunday". At the end of "City of Blinding Lights", Bono pointed at my best friend and myself, which was cool. Also, our Newfie friend and I started to lose our voices midway through U2's set because we were signing along with AF. We realized that the vocal chords can only handle so much "ooohhs".

Back to the people in the pit, they were outstanding. Everyone was lively, jumping, clapping, fist pumping, and singing throughout the 2.5 hour performance. It was a sight to behold from our vantage point.

The finale of "Out of Control" and "40" were awesome; simply mind blowing. And to top off a great show, the five of us ended up getting a lot of face time on the "40" video, especially our two best friends who are plastered all over the video. What a great way for them to experience their first U2 show. I think having them there really added to the experience for my wife and me.

The only thing that irked me about the show was the large number of signs that had people proclaiming the number of shows they had seen. I don't really care if this was your first, second, or your 100th U2 show. IMO, that's something you keep to yourself. It's not a badge of honour or a right of entitlement, but often people treat it as such. Instead, it's an experience that many people don't get to have or only have one opportunity to do, so people should be humble. JMO.

Anyway, like others, it took us about 2.5 hours to get back to our car. The bus situation was terrible - just poorly organized and slow. The organizers should have had at least 10 entry points to get on the buses instead of having to walk to the end of the gates. Oh well, hopefully they'll be better off next time. But this only added to our experience of standing around for 13 hours straight, the 9 hours of pouring rain, and a remarkable concert by an extraordinary band (U2) and another by a captivating ensemble of talented musicians (Arcade Fire).

Hey Flaming C, did I meet you guys? You must've been standing right next to us. It was my girlfriend and I. And I'm pretty sure the lady in front of us told us it was her first show

Hey Flaming C, did I meet you guys? You must've been standing right next to us. It was my girlfriend and I. And I'm pretty sure the lady in front of us told us it was her first show

Were you in the Leafs jersey?

EDIT: If you were right behind us standing on the wire covers and your girlfriend is short, then yes we met.

There will be many band photos better than mine. So here are a few others

Campsite about 10am Saturday Morning

100_1878.jpg

Front of GA line waiting to go in

100_1882.jpg

Inside the venue

100_1883.jpg

View from the hill

100_1892.jpg

Larry watching Arcade Fire

100_1913.jpg

View up the hill after Arcade Fire

100_1943.jpg

Dodgy curry? Blowing smoke up Bonos arse? Insert your own title

100_2128.jpg

Champagne

100_2145.jpg

IMO, the one-two punch of "Power Out" and "Rebellion" is one of the best combinations of live songs around.

The best segue in the history of segue.

I don't really care if this was your first, second, or your 100th U2 show. IMO, that's something you keep to yourself. It's not a badge of honour or a right of entitlement, but often people treat it as such. Instead, it's an experience that many people don't get to have or only have one opportunity to do, so people should be humble. JMO.

Exactly, well said Flaming. I wish more fans would ahere to this credo.

Nice review Canedge.

We can make our own version of Zooropa with their advert taglines.

If you go to Union Station in Toronto there is a real life Zooropa moment. At first, I thought I was at some art student installation with random voices generating noise but in fact is a "what do you want" moment.

It sounds like this. "please watch your luggage", "the train will exit from platform two" and "please look for children" all looping and overlapping. It is creepy.

There will be many band photos better than mine. So here are a few others

Campsite about 10am Saturday Morning

100_1878.jpg

Front of GA line waiting to go in

100_1882.jpg

Inside the venue

100_1883.jpg

View from the hill

100_1892.jpg

Larry watching Arcade Fire

100_1913.jpg

View up the hill after Arcade Fire

100_1943.jpg

Dodgy curry? Blowing smoke up Bonos arse? Insert your own title

100_2128.jpg

Champagne

100_2145.jpg
Those are great photos. The one of GA was right about the time GA got super mucked up and Dave had to come over before the first 50 people stroked out.

And that's a great champagne shot. I didn't take any pics of that since I was enjoying the consecration.

Oh, and it was nice to meet you!

I want to share one more funny thing about Moncton. Everytime I jay-walked, which I do habitually, an oncoming car would stop dead in its tracks. Even though I could clearly see the distance between me and them, every car stopped dead.

Your so cute Moncton.

I want to share one more funny thing about Moncton. Everytime I jay-walked, which I do habitually, an oncoming car would stop dead in its tracks. Even though I could clearly see the distance between me and them, every car stopped dead.

Your so cute Moncton.

Welcome to the Maritimes :lol:

Well This was just an amazing end to a seminal tour and like all great things it has to end :grumpy:

I tried to capture mentally as much as I possible could from this show knowing it would be a while before I got this privilege again. My photos I'll post here can't do justice to how great this show was. I know I heard people mumbling the audience weren't great blah blah blah but maybe they're not to the level of us diehards but they still enjoyed it and made this show special!!!

Good news ! I spoke with Dallas before thw show and he said that theyre going back in the studio next month, album in 2012 and….tour 2013 :happydance: Start saving kiddies!!!!

Here are some photos I took. Friend me on facebook i think to see em all.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001640643959

Me and KEVIN051269!

189196_189066237824730_100001640643959_532024_7161742_n.jpg

Noticed a couple of people watching Acrade Fire!!!

253212_189068587824495_100001640643959_532070_811947_n.jpg

283162_189068694491151_100001640643959_532073_2861183_n.jpg

fighter jets passing over the claw!!

284608_189068807824473_100001640643959_532076_918696_n.jpg

Pics of the show.

223081_189069127824441_100001640643959_532084_2997152_n.jpg

267383_189069217824432_100001640643959_532086_4681346_n.jpg

285189_189069597824394_100001640643959_532095_7183055_n.jpg

283584_189070721157615_100001640643959_532126_3359744_n.jpg

For the Plebans!!!

267378_189073311157356_100001640643959_532189_2629020_n.jpg

267341_189073357824018_100001640643959_532190_6494284_n.jpg

Were you in the Leafs jersey?

EDIT: If you were right behind us standing on the wire covers and your girlfriend is short, then yes we met.

Not the leafs jersey, but ya, with the short girlfriend. Nice to meet you guys! Looked like everyone was really enjoying the show

And I have to say, despite all the venue hiccups (*hic* kill me *hic* kill me), ALL the people in Moncton are really, really nice. Like, some of the nicest strangers I've ever met. That's something to be proud of

100_1892.jpg

What was that big black fence for? Is this outside the official concert area? If you look at the Fancam it looks like there were still thousands of people behind it.

Not the leafs jersey, but ya, with the short girlfriend. Nice to meet you guys! Looked like everyone was really enjoying the show

It was great meeting you as well. I hope your jacket didn't get ruined since it got tangled with our stuff.

What was that big black fence for? Is this outside the official concert area? If you look at the Fancam it looks like there were still thousands of people behind it.

I think that's the beer tent area.

I was sorry I couldn't see more of that on the screen - the bridge was directly over me at that point! :lol:

Although I did enjoy watching their feet/legs coming down the steps onto the catwalk.

And I learned something new by being in the pit for the first time - I had no idea there was a person moving the bridges - I always assumed it was electronically controlled! Ha.

Carney was great, Reeve is very talented and emotive. The bassist camedown to the pit afterand hung out. Arcade Fire also got the crowd in a frenzy. I could even tolerate that Renees dancing for a brief moment.

Ill post a proper review when the feeling return to my legs.

I'm just proud as someone from the U.S. that we still make and sell shit. Yes, it's military shit, but you guys bought it.

:wink:

ETA--I quoted the wrong post. :coocoo:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom