July 25, 2009 - Croke Park DUBLIN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread should be used to discuss the concert.

The GA line issue has been discussed in the thread in the General Discussion forum. If anyone is interested in reading about it please go there.

*breathes in relief*
I was quite baffled with people's strong reactions to GA in this thread (and the other one). Things do get quite heated on the floor, but I thought that's always the case. I started queuing at 6.30 am. I ended up against the rail inside the pit with 2 other Interference members, way out on the Edge's side. When we started we were in between the two front claws. Just before the Intro to Breathe started, we found out we had been pushed out so we were to the left of the left claw, closer to the bridge. Apparently people pushed us out, and as I found out throughout the night, if you're against the rail, chances are you'll be pushed out from the center. However, if you're in second row, you'll actually be pushed in, more towards the center. :shrug: It's the law of physics I guess... The guy next to me didn't speak English, but even so, I know he was angry at being pushed out from the center. I just tried to explain that we were all being pushed out in the same direction, and that it wasn't because I had grown bigger or stretched out more than when we had started.

This show was my first GA experience. It's a great experience, and the crowd was so energetic. I could barely move by the time they did the encore, and that's the only thing I regretted about the show. I should have tried to smuggle in more food and drinks into the pit. They didn't even check our bags! Hearing Unknown Caller live for the first time was amazing!! And Bono and The Edge did In A Little While dedicated to one of the astronauts whose family was in the audience. I love that song!! But the best part of the night still belongs to Ultraviolet. To see Bono sing that up close, with the laserlight jacket and smokes and embracing the wheel mike was just out of this world. I taped the entire song I think, but it ended up being quite choppy as my setting was on 1080p, not 720p. I'll try to post that on Youtube and share it here.

I met a few wonderful people from this forum, and I love sharing the experiences with other U2 fans. There's nothing else like being in the concert, whether it's the pit, the pitch, the seats, and have your neighbors jump around and get into the songs as much as you do!

What I love the most about the shows in Croke Park, aside from the audience participation, is Bono seemed to do a lot more snippets. I don't know if he'd been doing that in the previous shows, but we got soooo many snippets, my heart could burst!! Here Comes the Sun, Stand By Me, Rock the Casbah, Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, and the list goes on... I try to get these snippets on video, but it was hard to time them!

After the show, we went for dinner at the abrakebabra shop in Drumcondra, and I had the best donner kebab ever!! Probably because I was starving at that point. Monday night I went to the same place after the concert, and got their garlic cheese fries. Yummy!

This thread should be used to discuss the concert.

The GA line issue has been discussed in the thread in the General Discussion forum. If anyone is interested in reading about it please go there.

Uh, ok....but that thread is closed, with a redirect to this thread :huh:

Anyways..just to clarify for the benefit of the people who responded reasonably like cathal, ally et al:

I guess I was just a little put off after reading the comments in the threads in this section (not so much the general tour one) about people getting violent over being one person back and allowing it to carry over into the concert. Going on a witch hunt doesn't really do much good either and my only point is that we're SUPPOSED to be a little community here and those same people, if they are interferencers, enjoy the benefits of the knowledge that is exchanged here in preparing for U2 concerts. If they are going to behave in such an animalistic fashion because something doesn't go their way, I don't think they should be allowed to continue to enjoy that community, that's all, because we don't allow people to behave in such a fashion with mere words on a screen (and I've been guilty of it also).

Having said that - Ally, if you are who I think you are we've met on tour and you were cool. So maybe it wasn't you, I take you at your word. It was, however, someone, and their actions are inexcusable. Life isn't fair in general and sometimes things don't go your way - and by "you" and "your" here I don't mean you specifically Ally. You register your concerns, you complain vehemently to the people with the power to effect change, but nothing happens, it doesn't give one the right to assault or harass other people who are just as much bystanders to the cause of the problem as you are.

I know what second row is like, I've been in it many times and have let shorter girls than me go in front of me. You can live and perfectly enjoy the show from the second row. So if after all the protests are launched etc, that's where you end up, well just chalk it up to the craziness that is getting into a venue and let it go. Bono will still see you. You'll still get that touch of his hand if he leans over and the crowd surges forward. It's not the end of the world. Flipping the logic around and saying well then why not move back then - you know what? I agree with you, if you're shorter than me and if I was asked in a reasonable fashion I'd likely move. But you know what someone else might not. And that's just the way it is sometimes. It doesn't give anyone else the right to ruin their experience.

Just my 2 cents. Actually more like 2 dollars lol

This concert was on my birthday and it is really upsetting to come in here and read all this. I want to read people's reviews of the shows, not all this other garbage. I don't have the best birthdays and this year I made it special by coming from New Jersey to Dublin to see U2, who is my favorite band. Now 4 days later coming in here to read the reviews of a show I want to remember for the rest of my life and reading all this makes you guys no better than the people who are my friends that have hurt me on my birthday in the past. So, by that I say THANK YOU!!!

i think the people who are accusing fans of a "sense of entitlement" are missing the point.

these people weren't angry or upset because someone legitimately got the the rail first because they were quicker or ahead in queue, they were angry and upset because they were essentially first in line for the pitch and when they got there they found other people WHO SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ALLOWED THERE had been let in ahead of them.

If you're not understanding this try change the scenario slightly. lets say you queued all day to get a good spot on a general pitch but when you got in there they had let people with seats take the GA spots instead. would that not piss you off because that is essentially what happened? People were given a choice - pit or pitch, and for those who chose pit to then take the pitch places is very unfair. I understand that this choice maybe wasn't clear to everyone so it's hard to accuse the pit people of being 100% in the wrong but this should at least give you an idea of why people were angry.

As for peoples reactions and behaviour - i've heard way too many different stories to form a valid opinion. obviously if some people did behave as is rumoured then that was awful, but I'm only trying to make people understand why this was a cock up in the first place and why there might have been a very valid "sense of entitlement"

This concert was on my birthday and it is really upsetting to come in here and read all this. I want to read people's reviews of the shows, not all this other garbage. I don't have the best birthdays and this year I made it special by coming from New Jersey to Dublin to see U2, who is my favorite band. Now 4 days later coming in here to read the reviews of a show I want to remember for the rest of my life and reading all this makes you guys no better than the people who are my friends that have hurt me on my birthday in the past. So, by that I say THANK YOU!!!

You should post some pics in here to lighten the mood.

I'm going to post them when I get home tomorrow. I'm going back out to site see some more and then I have to pack. I started putting the ones from Monday in the gallery, but I don't have enough time to do them all.

Now 4 days later coming in here to read the reviews of a show I want to remember for the rest of my life

But you had a fantastic time at the concert, yeah? What happened to other people in the stadium on Saturday didn't spoil my enjoyment of the gig, and it won't spoil my memories of it either.

Acrobatics: don't let us argumentative bastards drag your fabulous U2 live in Dublin birthday down :)

But you had a fantastic time at the concert, yeah? What happened to other people in the stadium on Saturday didn't spoil my enjoyment of the gig, and it won't spoil my memories of it either.

Acrobatics: don't let us argumentative bastards drag your fabulous U2 live in Dublin birthday down :)

Hey Cathal...was this the show you got a ticket from me for? Glad to hear you were still able to enjoy it, despite the kerfuffle. :up:

This concert was on my birthday and it is really upsetting to come in here and read all this.

:hug: Don't worry, Laura... Just remember the best parts of the night!!! I'm glad I got to be with you on your birthday, and even though I know you were disappointed that you didn't get pulled onstage, or Bono didn't get to play Party Girl, we still got a beautiful concert in the end, and The Edge smiled a few times in front of us.

By the way, I meant to buy you dinner at the abrakebabra for your birthday, but you had already paid by the time I got off the phone with Iris. I was also having trouble getting up from my seat because my legs had gone numb... Maybe in Boston? Or Jersey... :) We have to plan for these now... You're a great GA buddy and I hope to see you in the US shows!!!

I'll post my pics and videos tonight. Have a safe flight home tomorrow!

Holy shit. I'm sitting here reading Cathal's blog. How he has come out of this with such a positive attitude speaks volumes about the power of the actual concert experience itself. I had no clue about your book Cathal, great stuff! :up:

Hey Cathal...was this the show you got a ticket from me for? Glad to hear you were still able to enjoy it, despite the kerfuffle. :up:

Um, probably! I've been acquiring tix for many shows over the last few months I've lost track of where they came from to be honest. Shame you couldn't make it, but you'll have your 360 moments in Canadia in autumn - that means fall btw :)

Cathal, sorry I missed your pm's and updates in Dublin. I didn't have Internet access while I was there, so it was a bit hard. And I never got a text from you... just don't want you to think I was ignoring you... :p

Too late! I'm a very sensitive person and I bear grudges remorselessly. You're now on my Well, It's Their Loss Really list :)

Um, probably! I've been acquiring tix for many shows over the last few months I've lost track of where they came from to be honest. Shame you couldn't make it, but you'll have your 360 moments in Canadia in autumn - that means fall btw :)

You forget we still bow to the Queen, somewhat...autumn is autumn ;)

Ok so I don't feel so bad for not remembering what ticket I sent ya :lol:

Holy shit. I'm sitting here reading Cathal's blog. How he has come out of this with such a positive attitude speaks volumes about the power of the actual concert experience itself.

Delusion: a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact

Delusion: a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact

Well I just meant that you had something happen that to me is far worse than whether or not one 'got rail' at the show...having someone confiscate my blood sweat and tears hard work would throw a serious damper on my day, to be honest. I hope you did have a great time though, and hope the book situation clears up in your favor :up:

The show on July 25th was probably my favorite of all 3 at Croke Park. The gig started off great with the Kaiser Chiefs, whose lead singer is my new hero (crowd surfing, giving a beer to a guy in the front row, getting the crowd totally pumped-- loved them!). U2 sounded fantastic-- the band seemed to have great "energy", and the crowd in the pit was totally rocking out to every song. Pretty standard setlist- i liked the setlist for 7/24 better than 7/25, but the overall show was better (to me) on 7/25. My personal favorites of the night: "Vertigo" (which has SO much energy live, even though it's not one of the best album tracks imho), the "Crazy Tonight" remix was AMAZING :drool: , "Ultraviolet" (Bono with the steering wheel mike and laser jacket was too cool-- the lasers were reflecting off the clouds in the sky and it looked gorgeous), "Moment of Surrender", and "The Unforgettable Fire." At one point during the show (i think during UF), it started to pour rain-- and it just felt so amazing and looked so beautiful! what a night, what a show, what a city... Thank you, U2, for everything.

I'd like to post my GA experience but I see that alot of people got the wrong impression from 7/25. 7/27 I want to talk about the dude who hid in the Red Zone line when the gates opened! Total Chaos and you can only blame security but its water over the bridge from the 7/25 Saturday night show. I will talk to one of those people who have the facts wrong later. Saturday nights show had the best energy by far. Yes Bono did cry.

Yes Bono did cry.

Really? I thought he was just overwhelmed... I think it was the rain... :D That was something entirely classic by itself for a Dublin performance. I actually enjoyed the rain! It allowed me to see the hustle and bustle onstage when it rained. Dallas got onstage in the middle of the performance with the plastic covering to cover The Edge's setlist and foot pedal thingy. The umbrellas opened up over Larry, The Edge and Adam... it's a different thing to see on a U2 show!

Well I just meant that you had something happen that to me is far worse than whether or not one 'got rail' at the show...having someone confiscate my blood sweat and tears hard work would throw a serious damper on my day, to be honest. I hope you did have a great time though, and hope the book situation clears up in your favor :up:

Thanks Gabriel, it's still ongoing. The sergeant at the station is one very elusive, and as yet unresponsive, cop. Anyway, that was on the 24th, not the 25th :)

I'd like to post my GA experience but I see that alot of people got the wrong impression from 7/25. 7/27 I want to talk about the dude who hid in the Red Zone line when the gates opened! Total Chaos and you can only blame security but its water over the bridge from the 7/25 Saturday night show. I will talk to one of those people who have the facts wrong later. Saturday nights show had the best energy by far. Yes Bono did cry.

hey SuperFan! sorry we didn't get to say goodbye to you after Monday's show-- it was fun grabbing a pint with you and all the others on Sunday afternoon at J. Grogan's! see you on the road this fall :)

This show needs to be seen from seats AND standing... it basically two entirely different experiences.

I can't really say which show was the best, they were both equally amazing. I slightly prefered Friday's set-list, but I agree the energy, the crowd and the emotion last night were unbelievable.

On Friday I didn't line-up so I was at the back of the pitch and I was surprised how much I enjoyed even being further away. I must say the visuals/top mirrorball for Ultraviolet and WOWY probably make standing behind or having seats worth it in itself--so absolutely beautiful. Yesterday I was center outside rail, 2nd row. Mindblowing.

I second that Laj!!!! I'm sooo pleased I met the lovely guys with the spare tickets for Friday's show at the airport on the way to Dublin and went with them on a total whim! Had seats at the back corner of the stadium and could totally appreciate The Claw, the visuals, the glitterball etc.

I also second Oceane with Saturday being the better energy/crowd/emotion!

Saturday was GA with Cathalmc & Kinaitra and I was just off-centre of the outside rail, 2nd row - So we must have been very near each other Oceane and we never knew!!! :wave:

I certainly heard the complaining americans! We had some angry ppl come in but we stepped back to let the guy who had been there for 20 hours take the rail! Even when some of the american women got on the rail (yes - not girls but older ladies who should have known better imo) they were STILL complaining! :angry: Kinda spoiled the build up and the wait for a while. After all, everyone was there for the same reason, to see the band they love. . . And it seems the people who are pushy and loud are the ones who have seen them loads of times before. I'd never seen them before the weekend so it was my dream come true but i still let the rail go. . . I dont understand some ppl??? Luckily there were some nice ppl around too!

I had a great time. I was not part of that whole rif raf. It is just upsetting coming in here and reading about all of it.

:hug: Don't worry, Laura... Just remember the best parts of the night!!! I'm glad I got to be with you on your birthday, and even though I know you were disappointed that you didn't get pulled onstage, or Bono didn't get to play Party Girl, we still got a beautiful concert in the end, and The Edge smiled a few times in front of us.

By the way, I meant to buy you dinner at the abrakebabra for your birthday, but you had already paid by the time I got off the phone with Iris. I was also having trouble getting up from my seat because my legs had gone numb... Maybe in Boston? Or Jersey... :) We have to plan for these now... You're a great GA buddy and I hope to see you in the US shows!!!

I'll post my pics and videos tonight. Have a safe flight home tomorrow!

I didn't want to get pulled up anyway. For one, I know he wouldn't pick me.

Will definitly have to make a plan for Boston and Jersey.

hey SuperFan! sorry we didn't get to say goodbye to you after Monday's show-- it was fun grabbing a pint with you and all the others on Sunday afternoon at J. Grogan's! see you on the road this fall :)

Yeah I had security kick me out when they pulled out the tape on Edge's side after the show. I went with Melissa and the Polish Mohican to Croke Park Hotel Bar for a short bit. See you this fall.

since the other thread is closed, and many posts in this one got deleted, i would like to say, in response to Ally's post in the closed thread, that obviously the negative comments weren't directed at her as she wasn't one of the ones being unpleasant to the other fans on the rail, so please don't take it personally...

glad to see everyone had a good time despite the mess-ups! hopefully there will be some kind of water-tight and fair GA system for the North America shows at least...

hopefully there will be some kind of water-tight and fair GA system for the North America shows at least...

riiiiiiiiiight! :wink: Don't hold your breath.

Laura, I hope this thread didn't bring you down too much. And I've enjoyed reading the good stuff about the show. I liked whoever it was (sorry) talking about what happened when it rained. Hopefully everyone's recovered and dried their tears (and their clothes) and has some great memories and pics and new friends.

Roll on, October...

Back
Top Bottom