July 2, 2011 - Vanderbilt Stadium - Nashville, TN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2.com has official video of AIWIY: Here is official video from U2.com, nice high-quality: U2 > Tours > U2360 TOUR

You can even hear Bono say, "Take my guitar," and the guy says, "No! Are you serious??"

It's gorgeous. And oh man, they could make a stellar dvd out of each and every show. :drool:

U2.com has official video of AIWIY: Here is official video from U2.com, nice high-quality: U2 > Tours > U2360 TOUR

You can even hear Bono say, "Take my guitar," and the guy says, "No! Are you serious??"

It's gorgeous. And oh man, they could make a stellar dvd out of each and every show. :drool:

I just watched the video, truely beautiful. If it doesn't move you, you're not quite human.

It's also nice to see U2 be spontaneous again.:heart:

Even though I was in the stands I was afraid I wasn't going to make it. I didn't eat anything, either. Eating cold pizza a having an ice cold Coke held up against my face for a while seemed to have helped. (That, and the praying!) I'm so sorry you had to leave, but glad that you get to see them again!

I think I would have died if I'd waited in the GA line. Since I had a seat, I came late and fortunately the sun wasn't hitting me then. Maybe because I live in the desert where we're having the worst drought in 100+ years and it's so dry I don't sweat even during a hard workout at the gym, but the humidity felt fantastic to me. I sweated like a pig through the whole show but it had the weird effect of energizing me instead of zapping me. I felt awful for the people I saw who were really suffering, though.

That's what I got from it, too.

Great photos everyone! My camera died from happiness too early on.

:wave: It was great meeting you and wonderful to see the show with a fellow interferencer :)

I posted a few pics earlier in the thread (well, the few that turned out decent). They were mainly taken during Crazy Tonight when they were on the outer walkway near us.

That was great. Thanks for posting that video. :)

A few of my pictures from the show in this album: U2 360 Nashville pictures by sdunnington_photos - Photobucket

103fwva.jpg

Thanks for that link! I was happy to hear the deal about how they were getting the guitar to him.

That's awesome!

Brian Williams had to make up for not using Chris' video from Anaheim for the Clarence Clemons tribute. :wink:

I am finding all kinds of gems from this show... This was the most hilarious U2 show I've ever attended. So many bloopers/funny moments that I laughed pretty much throughout the show until Adam B's moment with AIWIY when the tears started flowing...

Check around 1:10 in this video
YouTube - ‪U2 - Mysterious Ways - Nashville TN - 7/2/2011‬‏

And Bono & The Edge did that duet in front of my group on the outer circle. :drool:

And don't forget Bono making up his own lyrics for Streets. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFOIv5BxwGc

Having seen that little devilish grin & the smack are almost worth missing 2/3 of the show for me. :love:

This is my first-ever posting. It's been five days since the Nashville show and I am still on an adrenaline high. I joined Interference just so I could talk to other fans about it.
In my regular life, I'm a newspaper reporter who also writes a twice-monthly personal column, so naturally my column next week will be about the concert. I just finished writing it, and I'd like to post it here if I can. Thanks for your patience.

@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Deb’s column July 14

All I want is U(2)

I would never have gone to Nashville if Bono hadn’t hurt his back.
Let me explain. Bono is the lead singer of U2, one of my favorite bands. I last saw them at the Georgia Dome in October 2009, as they launched a world tour that is still ongoing.
U2’s plan was to play indoor arenas during the fall and early winter, then return to North America the next summer to play open-air stadiums.
But in May 2010 – just after his 50th birthday – Bono suffered a serious spinal injury during rehearsal and had to undergo emergency surgery, followed by months of rehabilitation. The band had no choice but to push back the summer tour from 2010 to 2011.
Fortunately, Bono made a complete recovery, and the band figured since they were going to be in the U.S. anyway, they might as well add some shows in cities they don’t normally visit.
When I heard they were coming to Nashville, I grabbed a ticket. Frankly, I didn’t enjoy the Georgia show as much as I should have (largely the fault of the venue, not the band), and I didn’t want that to be remembered as my last U2 concert.
That’s how I ended up in Vanderbilt Stadium on Saturday, July 2, on a clear but steamy night, sweating along with about 45,000 other fans.
The band kicked off the show with a blistering set of four songs from their 1991 album Achtung Baby. Then Bono apologized to the audience for waiting so long to perform in Nashville again.
“It only seems like yesterday since we played the Underwood Auditorium, 2nd of December, 19…,” Bono hesitated, wincing, “…81.”
Then he ducked, as if he expected the crowd to start throwing rotten tomatoes at him.
But U2 more than made up for their extended absence. They played 26 songs, pulling material from almost every album in their 35-year career. There were the obligatory hits, but also some hidden gems that got little or no radio airplay.
Among those was The Wanderer, a catchy ballad from the 1993 album Zooropa that featured Johnny Cash on lead vocal. This show marked the first time U2 ever performed the song live. It was their way of paying tribute both to Cash and to Nashville’s musical heritage.
Bono made the startling choice to sing it in the voice of Johnny Cash, and his imitation was uncanny. He’s known for his soaring high notes, so it was surreal to hear him channeling Cash’s distinctive bass-baritone.
That was the first big surprise of the night. But the biggest one came at the end of the show. The four band members had completed their second encore and were walking off when Bono noticed a man holding up a sign at the front of the stage.
He walked over and said, “You want to play what?”
At that point I couldn’t see the sign, but I surmised what was going on. The guy was asking if he could play guitar with the band and dedicate a song to his wife.
Bono quickly agreed. “We have a surprise guest,” he announced as he helped a security guard bring the man up on stage. Then he told a crew member, “Give him my guitar.”
Now, you need to know that while U2’s lead guitarist, Edge, owns about 200 guitars and switches to a different instrument on every song, Bono almost always plays the same guitar. It’s a forest-green Gretsch Irish Falcon, and to him it feels comfortable, like an old friend.
I was impressed that he would loan it to this stranger, who I later learned was Adam Bevell, a 36-year-old father of four from Mesa, Arizona.
“What’s your wife’s name?” Bono asked him.
Almost speechless at what was happening, Bevell could barely croak out the word “Andrea.”
“I’m real nervous, man,” he said. But when Bono began to sing All I Want Is You, Bevell overcame his jitters and did a very competent job of accompanying him.
After a couple of verses, the rest of the band took up their instruments and began to play backup. Then the audience joined in on the chorus, shouting, “All I want is YOOOUU!”
Many fans cried as they watched this man fulfill his dream, imagining how they would feel if they were in his shoes.
When the song ended, Bono hugged Bevell, who held out the guitar to return it to its owner. But Bono gently pushed it back toward him.
“I’m giving you my guitar,” he said.
“No! Are you serious?” Bevell screamed, and the audience went wild.
After the show, as I was walking from the stadium back to my car, I saw Bevell cross right in front of me. He was not carrying the guitar, which would be shipped to his home later.
And he looked different from the man I had seen on stage. His left hand was grasping a friend’s arm, while his right hand held a white cane.
My God, he’s blind! I hadn’t even realized. But now that I knew, it all made sense. I understood why Bono had so carefully guided Bevell on and off the stage, reassuring him, “You’re okay. I’ve got you.”
Rock stars have a reputation for being arrogant, self-centered jerks, and the stereotype is all too often true. But in Nashville, I witnessed the most genuine act of kindness and generosity I have ever seen.
Bono had given a gift to all of us, not just to Bevell. No, I didn’t get a free guitar, but it was one of the most memorable nights of my life.
Thanks, U2. That was all I wanted.

Great article, hikerdeb! :up: I was there (at least until I got sick & had to leave midway through :doh: ) & it was an amazing night. :yes:

BTW - welcome to Interference! :wave: :D

Coolian2, I guess if you're in Auckland, your seasons are reversed. Here in the U.S., you wouldn't be able to hold a concert in an outdoor stadium in the winter because it's too cold. Also, in the winter the enclosed stadiums (such as the Georgia Dome) are booked up with events like football games. That's why U2 had to postpone their summer tour for a full year, when the outdoor stadiums would be available again.

Have you watched the YouTube videos of "All I Want Is You" in Nashville?
My favorite part is when Bono reaches out to put his hand on Adam Bevell's shoulder. He's just inches away when he suddenly pulls back, realizing that touching Bevell might startle him, causing him to mess up on the guitar.
It's kind of fun to see Bono's mind at work even while he's singing.

Coolian2, I guess if you're in Auckland, your seasons are reversed. Here in the U.S., you wouldn't be able to hold a concert in an outdoor stadium in the winter because it's too cold. Also, in the winter the enclosed stadiums (such as the Georgia Dome) are booked up with events like football games. That's why U2 had to postpone their summer tour for a full year, when the outdoor stadiums would be available again.

i know, i was wondering what you meant by u2 planned to play indoor arenas. you didn't mean this tour, did you?

Back
Top Bottom