July 2, 2011 - Vanderbilt Stadium - Nashville, TN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got back from Nashville late last night, the show was incredible, and boy was it ever HOT HOT HOT! We came from Oklahoma, where it's been averaging 103 degrees everyday but i haven't sweated like i did in Nashville for a long time. I bet we drank 8-10 bottles of water each throughout the day, if not more.

It was great to see old friends from Alabama and some other friends we'd met in Dallas & Norman of this tour. Also met some really cool people from Texas, Mississippi, North Carolina, California, and of course Tennessee. Everybody played along well and were really good sports despite the absurd heat.

And can i just say that Nashville may just be the friendliest, most laid back city I've ever visited? Everywhere we went people were very approachable, friendly, and made us feel very welcome. And the area around town and the University is absolutely beautiful.

The show itself was the best 360 show i have seen yet. It's the kind of show you want your friends to see if they have never seen U2 play live. Despite the heat, Bono strolls out in his trademark black leather pants & jacket like its not a big deal, and they blast through the capacity stadium with a Barrage of Achtung Baby with scorching guitar to match and better the evening heat.

U2 might just be the musical and emotional equivalent of driving flat out on a scenic super speedway in the worlds greatest supercar, and then pulling over later for choice cuts of meat and a bottle of something twice your age while on a balcony overlooking the Riviera. They've covered all of the bases. If i ever get a speeding ticket from a hot air balloon then I'm sure they'd have that analogy covered as well.

I don't think i have one particular favorite moment; Even Better & the Fly made the stadium shake, Zooropa was truly "punk rock on Venus" as far as I'm concerned, The Wanderer was a surprise and a very emotional tribute to Johnny Cash, Hold Me Thrill Me was ape-shit with Bono swinging from the hanging mike through the fog like an alien Tarzan boy. And then the surprise ending with All I want is You....i just have to say the ENTIRE SHOW would have to qualify as my favorite moment....U2 at the FKNG ABSOLUTE BEST setting the bar impossibly HIGH.

All around us and way up in the stands and bleachers the crowd ROCKED. They might not have been as loud during ISHFWILF as i witnessed in Norman, but they certainly made up for it the other 95% of the time.

Around the stadium there was the giant Marriott hotel and an adjacent parking garage, it was interesting looking up at the hotel and seeing people packed in the rooms watching a free show from the upper floors. Same thing with the upper levels of the parking garage, just a cool thing to see.

Florence and the Machine were great openers. Her voice filled the stadium in a haunting and melodic way that sent chills way up. They are a great band and the best opener for this tour i have seen (previously MUSE and BEP's).

Sitting in Graceland yesterday eating a club sandwich, fries, and coke in the Rockabilly cafe looking out at Elvis' airplanes, it sort of hit home while listening to the kings gospel tracks play. It was an emotional moment, knowing he was buried just up the hill, and after the Beatles, Elvis, and U2 there just isn't anyone else out there who are going to be icons. Our kids won't have anyone like this...i wouldn't go through all of this travel and expense and 12 hours in extreme heat for any other band. And it was all so very much worth it i cant wait to do it over again in St Louis....

Some photos (my camera isn't the best :reject: )

DSCN9759.jpg

DSCN9764.jpg

RSCN9806.jpg

Amen, Mrs. Garrison, to all your remarks & thanks for the kind words about Nashytown.

Your Tarzan line is spot-on -- someone's not acting like a person post-recovery from an injury like Bono endured.

Thanks to you as well. :hug:

its good to have Bono back, isn't it? Thinking back to my previous 360 shows im guessing he played through some pain or at least some discomfort left him less than 100%. Not so much now presumably...

thinking ahead towards St Louis im tempted to avoid the all-day GA line that we've since Elevation Tour 10 years ago. Its fun and it usually goes by quickly, if the weather is friendly :sexywink: , but im tempted to just show up in the evening and take a spot back near the soundboard. That way the restrooms and refreshments are easily accessable compared to the inner circle or pit. Also, having been up close inside of the pit, i almost want to just see & hear the claw from the other end zone.

Here are some of my crappy BB pics:

must hurry to get a spot inside the circle..check out the hotel and parking garage in the background

SU1HLTIwMTEwNzAyLTAwNzczLmpwZw.jpg

casually strolling out onstage to thunderous applause...

SU1HLTIwMTEwNzAyLTAwNzg1LmpwZw.jpg

the coolest member of U2

SU1HLTIwMTEwNzAyLTAwODI2LmpwZw.jpg

the edge

SU1HLTIwMTEwNzAyLTAwODIyLmpwZw.jpg

Bono

SU1HLTIwMTEwNzAyLTAwODEzLmpwZw.jpg

whistle whistle...

SU1HLTIwMTEwNzAyLTAwODI0LmpwZw.jpg

alien tarzan boy

SU1HLTIwMTEwNzAyLTAwODI5LmpwZw.jpg

last surprise of the night...

SU1HLTIwMTEwNzAyLTAwODMyLmpwZw.jpg

:heart:

Anu, thanks for that great review!
Just curious what you think Bono meant when he said " I don't know what's happening to this band" as in that moment, or was he being all philosophical?
Also, I used to be a huge Amy Grant fan I admit way back when and I still admire her so it's nice to know that she is inspired by Bono too even though I disagree strongly with her conservative slant on politics. I just went over to her FB page and there was a blurb about her attending a private dinner with Bono on Friday night at Bill Frist's home along with several other guests in the music biz. I am sure MWS was there too, but he got a private lunch with B so maybe not? Anyway.. the comments on her FB page by some of fans about Bono are just vile. I was drawn to Amy's music back in the day because she did not throw off the holier than thou vibe and seemed to be open minded and down to earth ( she is) and I love her for that. But some think she is unwise for associating with B and even James Taylor and they were asking if she witnessed to them bla bla bla. As a Christian Progressive yes I vote Democrat, this kind of thing makes me nuts like the 2 are not mutually exclusive. Sorry for the rant! Just wondered what you thought of all that.

Dear Jeannie,

I think we are definitely on the same page here regarding spirituality & social justice.

Back in 2002 when Bono came to Nashville, he had a conversion of sorts to stop being so judgmental regarding conservatives, and many conservatives stopped being so judgmental of Bono. It's another story whether or not they extend that to others who are not of their tribe or flock.

I definitely don't think Jesus buys these categories, and while I am more liberal-left-radical in my views, I dry not to be dogmatic or judgmental of others.

Dear Jeannie,

I think we are definitely on the same page here regarding spirituality & social justice.

Back in 2002 when Bono came to Nashville, he had a conversion of sorts to stop being so judgmental regarding conservatives, and many conservatives stopped being so judgmental of Bono. It's another story whether or not they extend that to others who are not of their tribe or flock.

I definitely don't think Jesus buys these categories, and while I am more liberal-left-radical in my views, I dry not to be dogmatic or judgmental of others.

:up:

The Republican Party (esp Teabaggers) has completely lost me, so i guess im in the group of Christains who are sort of Independent i guess?

I know im a sinner but my heart is in the right place, even if the rest of me sometimes is not. Going to these shows one cant help but feel the influence of the spirit, which is to possibly say that it really doesn't matter what tribe youre from the message is still the message and its all the same.

I just turned 40 and im not sure ive ever felt as alive as certain moments in these shows and my thoughts afterwards. I guess we're just a little place in a much bigger, greater cosmos.

Dear Jeannie,

Right on! I try also! But I guess I just need to stop reading the wacky things the extreme evangelical right say about being a "true" Christian and all that garbage. I especially get worked up when they start attacking Bono, the one man that has the ability to bring people from all walks of life together on stage and off and has saved millions of lives as a direct result.
If that's not the Spirit moving I don't know what is!

:up:

The Republican Party (esp Teabaggers) has completely lost me, so i guess im in the group of Christains who are sort of Independent i guess?

I know im a sinner but my heart is in the right place, even if the rest of me sometimes is not. Going to these shows one cant help but feel the influence of the spirit, which is to possibly say that it really doesn't matter what tribe youre from the message is still the message and its all the same.

I just turned 40 and im not sure ive ever felt as alive as certain moments in these shows and my thoughts afterwards. I guess we're just a little place in a much bigger, greater cosmos.

I totally agree with you, it is so amazing to me that I feel more alive at a U2 show than I ever have at any church EVER and I look around at all the different types of people at these shows and I know God is in the house and He has goosebumps too! :)

i don't know what's happening with this band is more likely related to the obvious new lease on life and their future since they faced the prospect of nothing when bono had his surgery.

That's what I got from it, too.

Great photos everyone! My camera died from happiness too early on.

Great-Great-Great show and to think I almost backed out of going at all! This was my one trip for this leg and it was one of the best of the many shows I have seen. Totally made up for all the trouble I went through with the Anaheim cancellation last year. Just when you think this there's nothing else this band can do to amaze you, they go off on a show like Saturday night and do it again.

Once again I'd like to thank the all the admins and all the people on this site for all the info and help that you all provide. I couldn't make these trips without you.

i don't know what's happening with this band is more likely related to the obvious new lease on life and their future since they faced the prospect of nothing when bono had his surgery.

Interesting....
I was thinking more about that comment that Bono made and watching the video now of him saying he didn't know what was happening with the band, I think he meant it like "can you BELIEVE what's happening with this band?" As in look at how God is using us. I like to think that's what he meant! :)
What a great show! (from watching the videos)

^I was struck by that comment as well. I think it was more of a "where do we go from here?" statement. Since the delay last year there has been a lot of flux. They had to finish this tour a year late and apparently they were recording in between...They've always found their way. Hopefully they will do it again.

I am too tired to write a detailed review. They ended my 360 tour with a bang. Amazing show and weekend with some of the best friends I have and I wouldn't have had it any other way (actually I would have. I would have loved for Lisa to have stayed for the entire show). I thought it was fine (temp was) until 2pm and then it was f'ing roasting then humid all night. Lots and lots of sweat. Saw several people pass out and be hauled off by the paramedics.

This show topped all the shows I went to on this tour. :)

Thank you, U2.

:grouphug:

Anu has the best review so thank you for that.

This was one of the best shows that I have ever seen. My only show this time around. It was my 12th show. 1st seeing them in Chicago in 2005. I was with some amazing people and I wouldn't have changed anything about this night. Bono was amazing. He just fed off of the crowd. Heard some songs that I never heard in concert before. These guys are better than ever. I loved how he gave the guitar to that guy at the end of the show. I think everyone said OMG!!! lol After that happened, I just lost it and so did a few others I was with. It was pretty much one of the best weekends that I have had in a really long time. U2 has my heart again. Thank you to everyone I was with and to U2 for being the best band there is. :heart:

Anu - beee-yoooo-tiful write up. :up: :)

Hyena - spectacular pics! Thanks so much (from a fellow N. Carolinian) for sharing them! :up: :wink:

I can't offer much more than what's already been said here. Some of you already know that while I managed my hydration well on Saturday, I apparently failed in getting enough nutrition to get me through the show & had to leave the stadium at the start of Beautiful Day or face getting carried out on a stretcher. :doh: The fact that I'm still beating myself up for not holding out another five minutes - 'cause I might have started feeling better!' - may be irrational to folks not familiar with our level of dedication to this band. For those of us who love them as we do, I'm sure you understand my torment.

Anyway, this thread isn't about me, it's about the most amazing band I've ever come across. They were in rare form in Nashville - obviously in good spirits (evidenced, in part, by Bono's playful slap of his own rear end in the time between EBTTRT & IWF :drool: ); in top physical & vocal shape, & in absolute command of the audience. I'd still take the 1/3 of their set that I did see over 10 full length shows of any other band you could offer to me. I hope Mr. Blu is prepared for the total emotional breakdown that I'm likely to have as out last show this tour - Pittsburgh - comes to an end.

Anu - beee-yoooo-tiful write up. :up: :)

Hyena - spectacular pics! Thanks so much (from a fellow N. Carolinian) for sharing them! :up: :wink:

I can't offer much more than what's already been said here. Some of you already know that while I managed my hydration well on Saturday, I apparently failed in getting enough nutrition to get me through the show & had to leave the stadium at the start of Beautiful Day or face getting carried out on a stretcher. :doh: The fact that I'm still beating myself up for not holding out another five minutes - 'cause I might have started feeling better!' - may be irrational to folks not familiar with our level of dedication to this band. For those of us who love them as we do, I'm sure you understand my torment.

Anyway, this thread isn't about me, it's about the most amazing band I've ever come across. They were in rare form in Nashville - obviously in good spirits (evidenced, in part, by Bono's playful slap of his own rear end in the time between EBTTRT & IWF :drool: ); in top physical & vocal shape, & in absolute command of the audience. I'd still take the 1/3 of their set that I did see over 10 full length shows of any other band you could offer to me. I hope Mr. Blu is prepared for the total emotional breakdown that I'm likely to have as out last show this tour - Pittsburgh - comes to an end.

Even though I was in the stands I was afraid I wasn't going to make it. I didn't eat anything, either. Eating cold pizza a having an ice cold Coke held up against my face for a while seemed to have helped. (That, and the praying!) I'm so sorry you had to leave, but glad that you get to see them again!

Back
Top Bottom