July 11, 2011 - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Enjoyed the show! I had no expectations, because I've been too busy to pay attention to anything. I'm kind of happy about that, though, because there were quite a few years where I missed being surprised.

I had to work, so no waiting in line, but I still easily managed to be very close to the front and centre. Can't wait for the next tour!

We got totally screwed.

We got there at 5:45AM the day of the show, and got numbers 292 and 293. We were later re-numbered to 248 and 249 because people bailed on the line, or people who were having spots held didn't show. The line was actually really well managed, and security was really good about kicking out line jumpers, of which there were quite a few. I think because it was a Monday show, and a lot of people had to work, it increased the number of line jumpers.

Once we got in, it was a different story. Even with somewhat decent numbers (numbers similar to these had gotten us good spots on the outer rail in the past), this time the outer rail was pretty full. I think people have learned that it's the place to be. Given the lack of outer rail and the emptiness of the pit, we decided to try for outside rail in the pit.

This seemed like it was going to work out really well at first, because we had a group of short people who were right in front of us, and we could see over their heads. The problems came later on, when the pit started to get packed in like sardines. Later arrivals started to panic, and they started to think of excuses for jamming into the mess (I'm looking for my wife/gf/bf/dog/cat/ferret/etc).

We were with our friend Lisa, and both her and Jess sat down to take up more space. I didn't, as I figured we were packed in enough already, but then two kids (I'm old enough to call a 20-yr-old a kid now) who were doing the "Just passing through" thing ended up stopping right in front of us. And by in front of us I mean that his ass was pressing against my crotch. I told him he had to move but he lied clumsily, trying to pretend that he had been there the whole time. He knew that I knew he was lying, so he was really sheepish about it. I could have easily "relocated" him, but most of the things I could think of would have probably gotten me ejected from the stadium. So I sat down like Jess and Lisa and forced him forward a few inches at a time, until I had space.

More drama ensued when another group of people did the "just passing through" thing, only to run out of anywhere to go while literally straddling us. They ended up being pretty cool people later on (I ended up making peace with them so we could relax and enjoy the show), but they were initially pretty obnoxious. Since they were having a hard time jamming in front of us, they decided that WE should stand up to give THEM more room. I pointed out that we had been there since 5:45AM and if they had wanted better spots they should have gotten their a bit earlier than 6PM.

The guy tried to argue that anyone arriving at 6PM had the exact same right to the exact same spot as someone who had waited all day. You can guess how that went over. Then the girl tried to get security to make us stand up. The guy tried to argue that us sitting down was a safety hazard, which was pretty much like arguing that a speed bump is a safety hazard because you could crash if you hit it while doing 90mph through a neighborhood. The security guard told him to suck it up.

We stayed seated which probably prevented even more people from jamming in, but the damage was done. All the Last Minute Joes were 6'2"+ and both Jess and Lisa's views were totally blocked. As the show progressed, crotch-to-ass guy moved around so he could push his ass against me again (I guess he was into that) so I just kept "accidentally" kicking the back of his ankles.

It was a pity that Jess missed most of here last GA of the tour because of this fiasco, but I guess it's taught us that you should avoid the pit if you're shorter than 6'2 and don't like crotch-to-ass contact.

Great overall show, but a bit of a predictable setlist. The performance and sound were generally excellent, although there was a bit of an echo from the back corners. I hadn't been to Rogers before, but it's a good, intimate venue for the 360 show. I prefer the layouts where people can stand behind the Red Zones, as is the case here. I don't envy those who paid for the premium seats, as those are far away. The crowd on the field was good, although there were a few groups of drunk line dancers (wtf?).

We got totally screwed.

We got there at 5:45AM the day of the show, and got numbers 292 and 293. We were later re-numbered to 248 and 249 because people bailed on the line, or people who were having spots held didn't show. The line was actually really well managed, and security was really good about kicking out line jumpers, of which there were quite a few. I think because it was a Monday show, and a lot of people had to work, it increased the number of line jumpers.

Once we got in, it was a different story. Even with somewhat decent numbers (numbers similar to these had gotten us good spots on the outer rail in the past), this time the outer rail was pretty full. I think people have learned that it's the place to be. Given the lack of outer rail and the emptiness of the pit, we decided to try for outside rail in the pit.

This seemed like it was going to work out really well at first, because we had a group of short people who were right in front of us, and we could see over their heads. The problems came later on, when the pit started to get packed in like sardines. Later arrivals started to panic, and they started to think of excuses for jamming into the mess (I'm looking for my wife/gf/bf/dog/cat/ferret/etc).

We were with our friend Lisa, and both her and Jess sat down to take up more space. I didn't, as I figured we were packed in enough already, but then two kids (I'm old enough to call a 20-yr-old a kid now) who were doing the "Just passing through" thing ended up stopping right in front of us. And by in front of us I mean that his ass was pressing against my crotch. I told him he had to move but he lied clumsily, trying to pretend that he had been there the whole time. He knew that I knew he was lying, so he was really sheepish about it. I could have easily "relocated" him, but most of the things I could think of would have probably gotten me ejected from the stadium. So I sat down like Jess and Lisa and forced him forward a few inches at a time, until I had space.

More drama ensued when another group of people did the "just passing through" thing, only to run out of anywhere to go while literally straddling us. They ended up being pretty cool people later on (I ended up making peace with them so we could relax and enjoy the show), but they were initially pretty obnoxious. Since they were having a hard time jamming in front of us, they decided that WE should stand up to give THEM more room. I pointed out that we had been there since 5:45AM and if they had wanted better spots they should have gotten their a bit earlier than 6PM.

The guy tried to argue that anyone arriving at 6PM had the exact same right to the exact same spot as someone who had waited all day. You can guess how that went over. Then the girl tried to get security to make us stand up. The guy tried to argue that us sitting down was a safety hazard, which was pretty much like arguing that a speed bump is a safety hazard because you could crash if you hit it while doing 90mph through a neighborhood. The security guard told him to suck it up.

We stayed seated which probably prevented even more people from jamming in, but the damage was done. All the Last Minute Joes were 6'2"+ and both Jess and Lisa's views were totally blocked. As the show progressed, crotch-to-ass guy moved around so he could push his ass against me again (I guess he was into that) so I just kept "accidentally" kicking the back of his ankles.

It was a pity that Jess missed most of here last GA of the tour because of this fiasco, but I guess it's taught us that you should avoid the pit if you're shorter than 6'2 and don't like crotch-to-ass contact.

Sorry to hear your experience was less than good. Its a shame.

Had a similar experience last night also. Was in the Red Zone on Adam's side. Wife and I arrived approx 6pm - spots against the rail were already taken - no worries, we were second from the rail. :D

The real "fun" came when during the time gap between Interpol and U2, a couple decided to go up to the rail to say hello to so-called "friends". While they did know the ppl on the rail, I seen what was gonna happen.

Being burned too many times before, I stood my ground and spoke up. The dick with the two beers decided he was gonna be a 'big boy' and tempted me to fight. :wink:

Funny thing is (and a big shout out to the couple behind me re: husband was a lawyer to boot :wave:) - all of a sudden I had like 4 more ppl speak up to dickhead and told him to get back. He clearly thought he could get away with it and was sent with his tail between his legs along with the tart of a girlfriend, who also challenged the lady behind me to fight but "next Tuesday" - I guess her appointment book was filled with fights already for this week.

Dude was still prompting and calling me to go to the back edge of the Red Zone to fight. :D
If you are out there, I would be more than happy to accomodate your request - BRING IT!

Its sad but these things happen. Love how ppl think they can show up right before and squeeze in at the last moment. Well not this time. :up:

Then had 2 women half-way through the show had the nerve to ask if they could get up to the rail for "their turn" :doh:

Awesome show, bono was toally into the fans in the elipse by our area. we were 4 rows back from the front of stage. just besides u2brother with mirror ball hat and miroslava, kevin, dayna and her freind. to me this was the best show in toronto yet

Last edited:
Awesome show, bono was toally into the fans in the elipse by our area. we were 4 rows back from the front of stage. just besides u2brother with mirror ball hat and miroslava, kevin, dayna and her freind. to me this was the best show in toronto yet

OMG I think I seen that dude in the mirror ball hat! He was off-center towards Adam right?

Had a great time last night. Took my 10 year old to her first show and it was fantastic. The crowd around us was really into it and seemed to enjoy every song. The heat was brutal and I am amazed they can perform so well under some of these conditions. I sang and danced to everysong and had the best time yet at a U2 concert. I did miss Magnificent and Bullet, but all the songs sounded great!!:up:

Great overall show, but a bit of a predictable setlist. The performance and sound were generally excellent, although there was a bit of an echo from the back corners. I hadn't been to Rogers before, but it's a good, intimate venue for the 360 show. I prefer the layouts where people can stand behind the Red Zones, as is the case here. I don't envy those who paid for the premium seats, as those are far away. The crowd on the field was good, although there were a few groups of drunk line dancers (wtf?).

Completely agree. It an identical set to Montreal 1, but a better, more energetic performance by the band. Bono was having fun (which is why I'm surprised there wasn't a little something extra).

Review and videos to come. The Hilton's WiFi absolutely sucks and kicks you off if you are dormant for a moment, so no uploading anything substantial until I get home Wednesday.

Wish I had gotten to meet a few more people, but it was very difficult because of it being a Monday night and so many of us were coming in from Montreal. I haven't seen RyanCoke71 since Friday. :lol:

Enjoyed the show! I had no expectations, because I've been too busy to pay attention to anything. I'm kind of happy about that, though, because there were quite a few years where I missed being surprised.

I had to work, so no waiting in line, but I still easily managed to be very close to the front and centre. Can't wait for the next tour!

melon!! :love:

Honestly can't understand why people thought Toronto was better than Montreal 1. The Montreal crowd was a bajillion times better, and Bono's voice was in TOP and I do mean top form. He also did extras in almost every song, something he backed off from a bit in TO. The show was tighter also. There were technical difficulties in TO also, and Bono sounded pretty tuckered by the time the encores started. I'm not saying TO was bad, per se, but it wasn't Montreal 1, which I felt was one of the best U2 shows I've seen. :up:

Anyways it was fun and it was great to see all the old familiar faces again! :)

Honestly can't understand why people thought Toronto was better than Montreal 1. The Montreal crowd was a bajillion times better, and Bono's voice was in TOP and I do mean top form. He also did extras in almost every song, something he backed off from a bit in TO. The show was tighter also. There were technical difficulties in TO also, and Bono sounded pretty tuckered by the time the encores started. I'm not saying TO was bad, per se, but it wasn't Montreal 1, which I felt was one of the best U2 shows I've seen. :up:

Anyways it was fun and it was great to see all the old familiar faces again! :)

Nice to meet you Gabe!

(I guess I'm holding a tiny grudge with Montreal 1 because there were to slight miscues in Zooropa, and the Miss Sarajevo flubs.)

Did the pit Saturday in MTL- had a great experience on Edges side- mid pack. Tried for same locale in Toronto- it sucked. Was in that position from gates opening, and then spent the next six hours being jostled and hassled by people moving into the pit. It seemed to me, they allowed WAY more people into the pit, there was no room to move/breathe most of the night, while Montreal felt "spacious" comparitively. I actually left due to neccesitty at around 7 oclock and they were STILL letting people cram into the pit at that point.
I don't know, maybe it was our tiredness, the heat, etc. but if there is a next time, I'm travelling away from my own city to see them- sick of the hassle TO always seems to bring- and a lot of people are less into it- they are just trying to be at an event (doesn't matter what it is), rather than be there for the band (IMHO).
My 2 cents on the GA experience.

Yes bono's voice was off he sounded quite sore but he was totally into it yesterday and was in love with the GA. I have never seen him interact so much with the GA, waving blowing kisses. Even the Edge and Adam were all smiles at the GA (off center towards the right)
Had a great time compared to teh september shows in 2009 this one rocked big (the 17th september show was a close second)

I think there was a technical issue with the guitars dallas and 3 guitar techs were working on the pedals of The Edge way past 9pm

Well my experience for the 11july show began on the Wednesday prior to the show t he 6th July 2011. I am a bit production obsessed, being an ex sound guy, i love to see what goes behind a good production. The Claw fascinated me and i was keeping en eye on the Roger's centre parking lot to keep and eye when the Claw started coming in. On Wednesday the 6th July 2011, on the way home form work while on the Gardiner expressway I saw the trucks with the bits of the claw in the Roger's parking lot. So I went home, and after having a bath and dinner, I drove mrs. smiley to the Roger's parking lot and thus began a photographic journey of the production of the U2 360 tour. On Wednesday there were about 5 trucks in the lot, the Roger's security guy (who was really nice) told me that the rest of the trucks were at Polson Pier. So we drove down to Polson peir and I took pictures of the rest of the trucks. It was surreal to see the unformed claw with the background of lake Ontario and the CN tower.
On Thursday morning (7th July 2011) at about 6:30am, I was back down at the Roger's parking lot, took some more pictures and there was a flurry of activity with trucks being unloaded and forklifts loading bits and bobs onto carts which were taking the pieces of the claw into the Roger's centre. After many more pictures, it was off to work with me. Then after work at about 5:30pm I was back at the Roger's centre parking lot taking more pictures of bits and pieces being taken into the Roger's centre.
On Friday the action i guess was inside the dome as outside the parking lot was dead. So i did not return on Friday evening, but on Saturday evening for dinner at the Ariba restaurant which looked into the dome.
On our way into the restaurant we saw some really hard core U2 fans who has already started queuing up for the show which was only on Monday evening. We had dinner and i took pictures of the claw which was set up in the Roger's centre, but the stage was not yet up nor were the speakers of the spire.
After dinner on Saturday, I went out and spoke to the U2 fans and met Dayna who was doing a documentary of fan experiences in the GA line up. I also went down to the Roger's parking lot to take pictures of the hydraulic arms which were sitting on 2 trucks.
It was at this time that learnt that the legs of the claw were colour coded and everything pertaining to the respective legs were colour coded.
The tower's are all colour coded. 1 = red
4 = green
3 = yellow
2 = orange
This was a fun fact to learn.
After that we went home and I returned on Sunday.
(Continued on Next post)

I'm fascinated by this beautiful picture that's on the homepage of U2.com
toronto_loadsplash.jpg

:drool:

Why, hello... :sexywink:

I literally ran out of things to say in FYM. I visit periodically and am rendered entirely without words. Perhaps those days have past for me!

I now spend my days working (but of course!), lifting heavy things at the gym four times a week in my quest to look huge (a new adventure!), and reading heavy things to satiate my craving for knowledge (there's a three-volume history of the Byzantine Empire with my name on it!). Life is pretty ordinary for me otherwise.

(Continued)
ON Saturday evening the security guard mentioned to me that the speakers and lights and crew would be coming in by bus after the Montreal show and that the busses would start arriving at about 6:00am on Sunday morning (10th July 2011). So on Sunday at about 7:00 am I arrived at the Roger's centre parking lot, however the busses were not in as yet. I went up to meet the U2 fans who had completed their first night in the line. I spoke to many of them and got some timmies coffee for them. At about 8:00ish am the first red and white truck arrived and 2 generators which would run the show. At this time many of the technicians who dealt with the current and powering up of the system were laying the cables from the generators to the stage which is 2 levels below on the filed if the Roger's centre.
I was hungry and so along with Dayna went for breakfast to Ariba, now we could see big red and white trailer trucks coming into the rogers dome and these trucks were unloading lighting and sound equipment. I took a lot of pictures of sound and light equipment which was unloaded from the trucks as well as the spire which was unloaded from the truck. It was a beehive of activity to watch the speakers and the lighting equipment go up to its designated places on the claw.
By now ofcourse outside, the line nazi's from Boston had arrived. These die hard u2 fans love policing the lines and writing numbers on peoples hands. Their other hobbies include schmoozing local security and huddling up in groups deciding how to manage growing numbers of people. Well since people had lined up since Saturday, the line nazis (who has gone for the Monteral shows) could not impose their own rules so they were mighty pissed off and so they decided to talk tough with Roger's security who told them to 'no one is sleeping out tonight (Sunday night)'. Well since their plan was ruined they decided to make every ones life miserable and so the 'line gestapo' told everyone that they could put their name on the list go home but they have to be back on Monday morning at 4am to remain in the same numbered spot on the list. I was appalled at the pure dog in the manger attitude and decided i would not stay for this rude invasion of our concert.
I went back into the restaurant and took more pictures of the stage going up and then went home.
Monday - Concert day - 11th July 2011- I got into line at abut 12 noon. I was about number 700 in the line and i knew i would be in the inside circle. The line was split into two parts, the first part was those who had lined up since 4 am and they were on the west side of the Roger's centre (gate 11 if i rightly recall) and were from number 1 to 300.
On the East side of the Rogers centre was number 301 onwards by gate 5. It was a brutally hot day and humid to boot with a 60% prediction of rain and or a thunderstorm. I waited in line anxiously it was so hot i was hoping it would rain, at the same time i did not want it to rain because that would mean that the retractable dome would not be opened for the show and that would really mess up the acoustics of the show.
Well all of us in line were in for a bit of a respite because at about 3:00pm there was a lovely cloud cover and some cool winds blew which really kept us cool. At around this time we could also hear the sound check from inside the Roger's centre and one could clearly hear the sound check for City of blinding lights, a walk around the Roger's centre also revealed that the light engineers were running test patterns on the round screen.
I got back into line and was speaking to a chap who had 2 numbers on his hands one was 28 and the other was 631, he told me that he was unable to show up on Monday morning at 4:00am and although he was there on both Saturday and on Sunday and was number 28 because he did not show up at 4am he was demoted to 631. Clearly the Line Nazi's had managed to piss of another person besides me. Well as i waited in line and spoke to people, it seems that a lot of people were pissed about the numbering situation (and it actually was funnier once we got into the dome).
At about 2pm the U2 security started handing out write bands and were doing ticket checks and bag checks. The wrist bands meant that you could get onto the floors and were not indication that you could get into the inner circle. By around 4:30pm the line on the east side of rogers center (gate 5) had gone from the gate to about Front street.
At 4:45pm the gates were opened and we made our way into the dome and I got into the circle.
Now this is really funny, remember i said that i met people who had queued up since saturday morning at 10am. Well there were off centre to the right between Bono's and Adam's part of the stage, they were up on the front rail. 4 rows behind them was yours truly who had only lined up at noon on the day of the concert, I found it ironic and funny but was happy to see that they got the rail as they did tell me that they wanted to be on the rail.
At this time the dome was closed and you could feel the AC but the inner circle was really crowded and I was feeling quite claustrophobic and was almost thinking of watching the show from the sound board so i told my friends to wait in the circle if they wanted to but i as going out for some air. I went out and took a walk around the sound board area and then went back into the circle on The Edge's side, it was a lot more crowded so i came out of the circle and got myself an over priced bottle of water and a beer. Then I went back into the circle from Adam's side and joined my friends, at my previous location 4th row from the front rail between Bono and Adam.
The dome was closed and it was quite stale the air, however soon we chanted for them to open the roof and they did and this made a huge difference and made the inner circle much less claustrophobic for me. I could not listen to Interpol they were noisy and really badly equalized it hurt the ears and i was wearing earplugs. So i let the circle and went and got my second beer which i drank in the circle but just at the inside entrance of the circle on Adams side. From this vantage point i could see a little shack at the foot of the right rear leg of the claw which had some computer monitors and had 4 video screens in the monitor (i suspect it was for recording the band of mobile protools but i could be wrong).
I also could see the big huge exhaust fan which is used to ventilate the whole underworld area which is under the stage which has the monitor consoles and mix engineers for the band along with the keyboards etc.
On my walk by the sound board i was amazed at the video monitors on the upper level which is used to control the lighting for the show as well as the video effects for the round screen. At the time that i went the u2 FOH sound engineer was not yet to be seen though the video guys were already working away.
Interpol finished its noise and the fancam was rolled out to the outer circle and we made a big huge noise so that we could get our pictures taken.
(continued after i get a noon nap)

I also had my fair share of unecessary drama in the pit last night. The pit is the pit and it is people are free to roam though I know it does cause severe problems for everyone involved. I have been on both sides of this equation. Also I had waited since 7AM so no one was going to play that card on me.

Some young ladies early 20's decided to play another card. They decided to play the 'shes pregnant' card. Now I can't verify if she was or not, I always give the benfit of the doubt but somehow I was made out to be the man asshole for walking thorugh their spot. One didn't have courage to say it to my face and waited to I was out of sight to make her cowardly comments. Is that really the best place to be when you are pregnant? The pit at a rock show? That is the question I ask the Interference forum today. Not of course, is it right or wrong but is it really sensible.

Back
Top Bottom