December 13, 2010 Sydney AU ANZ Stadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The show was AMAZING. The audience was totally into it and it was such a great experience. I almost wet my pants when they played Bad. I hadn't been following the setlists so it was a surprise.

Security could have been better! There was a mad crush when the gates opened and it was damn lucky that no one got hurt!

(Gotta be a quickie cos I ain’t got much time in this internet cafe ... Gotta go, running out of change ...)

I had roughly the same spot at Sydney 1 last night as I had at Brisbane 2 last week: in the pit on Edge’s side with Brendan. And it was like Christmas had come early. After complaining after Brisbane 2 about the lame atmosphere in the pit there, and how great it would be to be in a pit full of U2 fans, Santa heard my moan and brought me a nice early pressie.

The pit here in Sydney was packed, far busier than at Brisbane 2. And far, farther, farthest more rocking. This is the sort of explosive atmosphere you’d always hope / expect to see in the pit. People were singing along with songs, roaring their heads off after songs, bouncing, clapping, waving, just rocking out and having a bloody good time mate. I’m sure the band sensed the energy and appreciated the response. Bono, for example, slightly modified the intro to Elevation to go with the flow of the audience’s own singing at the start. “I don’t want to leave!” he said at the end of With Or Without You.

Bono brought a festive theme to the show, telling the crowd that this was U2’s office Christmas party. Larry was the founder, Adam was Human Resources with a firm emphasis on equal opportunities for the ladies, Edge was the Chief Technical Officer, fixing the photocopier when everyone was drunk, and Bono was the janitor. Ho ho ho!

The big highlight, and stop me if you think you’ve heard this before, was Bad. Santa was being too generous. And far more people in the pit knew the song compared to Brisbane and Melbourne.

The intensity of the show was very high (despite a fair few itty bitty flubs). One was incredibly intense and emotional, Bono dedicated it to people who had died in Sydney from HIV, I think he dedicated it especially to someone he had known who died, and his emotion was palpable as he took the band into the beautiful but seldom heard “We’ll shine like stars” verse.

Random observation: new video footage of the beauty contest in Sarajevo during Miss Sarajevo.

Random observation 2: people around me missed Bono’s mention of Aung San Suu Kyi before Scarlet and were trying to work out what the hell he was on about when he was still speaking during the song. Perhaps a wee flash of her name and image in Scarlet would help carry the fans who miss her name (or don’t know who she is) with him during the song.

The best crowd yet on this leg, which made for an even better gig.

Good to hear. Reminds me of the huge, roaring crowds at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City in '06 that greeted our heroes after experiencing the pathetic fans in Monterrey a few days earlier.

It's about time Bono figured out that "Bad" is a required number for all gigs!

Well, back in Adelaide now, but what a show.

Band energy and crowd energy were amazing. The boys played with vigor, Bono sang his heart out, and the crowd was in full voice singing most songs word for word. The stadium was so loud, especially when the whole crowd were singing along to entire songs.

As much as I love the latest album, I will say the NLOTH songs formed the weakest part of the concert reaction wise. I would have also preferred Breathe as the opener to Stingray.

Stand out tracks were:

I Will Follow (rocked!)
Mysterious Ways (crowd was really grooving)
Elevation (blew the roof off)
UTEOTW (not much to say here, but the master of U2 rockers)
I Still Haven't Found (whole stadium in one voice)
Bad (beyond Epic, as the song kept building you could feel the crowd energy building to enormous heights along with it)
Vertigo (see Elevation)
One (formed unity among the many)
Streets (as usual, transcending)
HMTMKMKM (amazing performance, it rocked the stadium)
With or Without You (should have been the closer, and had the crowd singing along so loud for ages)

I've read a lot of reviews about various U2 shows from ZooTV to U2360, and typically in these reviews Streets is always the one that brings the house down. This is generally what I have experienced from all the U2 shows I have seen since ZooTV.

I will say this about last nights show, Streets did bring the house down, but so did a good 70-80% of the other songs. The crowd went off to most songs like it was the first and last time they are seeing U2.

The whole show was equivalent to a Volcano going off, and showed no signs of slowing. The boys were definitely impressed, and it was quite clear that Bono, who at times will restrain himself when singing was feeding off this energy and channeling it into his performance.

Exceptional performance, exceptional crowd, and an amazing concert.

I feel blessed to have seen this epic version of Bad!

Excellent show (who said "as usual"?)
Personally a show that has "Bad" is always a better show than one that does not.
Superb version, among the best I have seen live (I so much wish I'd been in Chicago in 2005, I believe that one rules all the other ones!)
The sound was OK given the size of the arena.
Excellent crowd.
The only negative thing, I got tricked by the soundcheck during which they rehearsed All I want is You with Love Rescue me, well Sydney 2 got it but they did not get Bad, so it's an even. But if they'd played All I want and Bad the same time (say Sydney 1 :-D), well, I would have really wet my pants!
3rd show in 3 different countries this year, as happy as I can be. I'd hoped for Japan and Korea to add to the list but it's very unlikely to happen, so for me it's a several months break, let's see if I can make it to the US at some point.
Oh, forgotten about the cool JayZ entrance during SBS!

When the Vertigo tour rolled into town in November 2006, the public were so relieved and starved of the band, and U2 themselves so desperate to perform well that nothing could have ruined the shows. They were almost militaristic in their precision. The sound was tight, the set was a clear nod to the abandoned Elevation tour plans, and they methodically went about their business, wowing all those lucky enough to attend.

2010 has put Vertigo to shame.

With nothing to prove, no scores to settle, ledgers all squared, U2 arrived in Sydney determined to make these shows special. They were instantly more relaxed. The music, the production, and the vibe in general were worlds ahead of the Vertigo dates. Most importantly, the band had FUN.

They hit the stage about 15 minutes late on the Monday night (technical issues), which gave the crowd more time to raise their voices and beckon their heroes. As U2 walked to the stage, waving to the crowd and accompanied by David Bowie, there was a genuine sense of celebration; there were no cancellations or delays due to hardships within the band, economic crises, or conflicting schedules. They were plainly enjoying their time in Australia, and were ready to show their gratitude.

Despite the 360 sound system being one of the loudest in stadium rock history, the crowd just about drowned out the opening notes of Return of the Stingray Guitar. Only a handful of diehards would have heard the song before, but everyone was jumping. When the house lights went down, and Beautiful Day kicked off, it was taken to another level. The pace was frenetic as the band rolled through I WIll Follow, Get on Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Elevation and Until the End of the World. Finally, there was pause for breath, and all Bono could muster was “wow!” He told the crowd that tonight was their office party. He described Edge as the IT wizard of the office who “while everyone else is out drinking, he’s staying back and fixing the photocopier.”

I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For included snippets of Never Tear Us Apart and Do They Know It’s Christmas. Bono then dedicated Stuck In A Moment to fallen friend Michael Hutchence. While the song was clearly under-rehearsed, there was a genuine quality that rarely shines through in music; they had cut through the illusion that bands show up and play songs they play hundreds of times a year. It seemed instant and honest; the perfect introduction for Bad.

Forgive me for editorialising, but Bad was the one song I had wanted to see them play. They haven’t played it much since the Elevation tour, and I had believed I was out of luck. The next 6 minutes passed and I have no idea where I was, or how I got there. Aural euphoria is the only way it can be described; it was a genuine highlight of the stay in Sydney.

The rest of the set rolled on as expected, but with an energy I haven’t heard a great deal of on any tour. They were genuine, and they were having a blast. Bono dedicated One to anyone who had lost someone to HIV, and sang the Hear Us Coming verse. Before Moment of Surrender he was lost for words, eventually blurting out that they “didn’t want to go”. You got the impression that they would have played all night.

Night 2 coming up.

What were the technically difficulties?

Bono's guitar made some strange noise when Phil (Bono's guitar tech) walked with it on stage. Interference :giggle:
I wonder why it had to hold up the show though, as if Bono ever really plays on it. They could've just turned it off and then the problem was solved too.
:D

Bono's guitar made some strange noise when Phil (Bono's guitar tech) walked with it on stage. Interference :giggle:
I wonder why it had to hold up the show though, as if Bono ever really plays on it. They could've just turned it off and then the problem was solved too.
:D

:lol:

Hey Marty, I saw you being interviewed on the Channel 10 news before Brisbane I. Nice tent :D

Before I start, I just would like to mention that it was rather disconcerting to see all the Bon Jovi adverts all over the city of Sydney. Bon Jovi got more promotion than U2?

Sydney 1 was a solid show, even though the setlist was similar to that from the Rome show. The location of my seat wasn't too great as well.

When the band started playing Scarlet, I thought I was about to hear Mothers Of The Disappeared. I got all excited for a moment.:lol:

Jay-Z rapping during SBS was unexpected. Usually, they save that stuff for night 2 shows.

The highlight of the show was Bono's crack at Oprah during BD.:laugh:

^ thanks so much for sharing :up: . . . I particularly love the pics of the screen and the shots of Edge in the red glow :heart: . . . and the shot of the band entering the stadium is great too . . . love the looks on the faces of the fans . . . oh and those of Bono in Sunday Bloody Sunday are fantastic too :up:

< Adam and that hobbytext tshirt :doh: . . . seriously dude! :lol:

Don't suppose any of you folk would have an extra T-Shirt (preferably Large Size) with the Sydney Dates on the back?

U2.com don't seem to have any, just Melbourne and Brisbane....

It was really stupid of me. I didn't buy any merchandise all tour, and at Sydney I Dad was like "I'll buy you a shirt" , I thought about it, but refused his offer. Second night he gave me some money before I went to the gig :doh:

None of the stands had much left of anything in large.

Back
Top Bottom