August 20th Don Valley Stadium Sheffield - UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
Please post your pics, reviews, experiences about this show here.

Some brief Sheffield observations

On the whole, I was very impressed :love:

Strengths (a selection from many)
The spectacle- marvellous- especially the claw- the screen was out of this world especially on Crazy Tonight.
Bono’s voice- generally very strong. When he roared “our love turns to rust” on Streets, it could have been Sydney 1993- excellent renditions of UF, UV and Magnificent. The falsetto isn’t at all reliable (and completely broke down on WOWY) but his general voice was noticeably less scratchy and more powerful- really impressive
Streets- remarkably fresh, it’s almost like a dance mix with the new percussion. Crazy Tonight was excellent too.
NLOTH- this is a tad quicker live, something you notice when you are there and it sounds better for that.
Weaknesses (not many)
Bono murdered One and WOWY but I was expecting this- they both need to go and quickly.
MW- little point throwing this one as a surprise when there’s no intro, no outro and insipid drumming. HMTMKMKM would have worked better.

absolutely amazing concert!!!

my only real gripe was the screen during 'crazy tonight', it was opened up all the way through the song so you couldnt really see the video properly, other than that, breathtaking!

another thing we noticed was that between elbow finishing and space oddity, all the songs played over the p.a were by sheffield artists! i dunno if this was the same for all the other dates (ie songs by bands from that respective city)

Great show, but I was in a bad mood at the start, because of so many reports of fights and gate crashing. The verbal abuse that I heard being shouted at security and staff from drunken yobs was pathetic.

I don't mind alcohol but when it turns aggressive, it's not right. It was not like this at Wembley and I was pretty shocked, especially when there was a younger kid in front of me.

Great show, but I was in a bad mood at the start, because of so many reports of fights and gate crashing. The verbal abuse that I heard being shouted at security and staff from drunken yobs was pathetic.

I don't mind alcohol but when it turns aggressive, it's not right. It was not like this at Wembley and I was pretty shocked, especially when there was a younger kid in front of me.

didn't see any of that. was this before the show?

having been to Glasgow a couple of days earlier and been in the pit I was looking forward to this show to see what it looked like from the seats.

The stage show, lights imagery etc are fantastic and it never ceases to amaze me how people keep coming up with new ideas for enhancing the concert experience. Where do you U2 and bands in general go after this tour will be a question asked many times.

It was great seeing the show in all its glory but for me the whole event was totally lacking in atmosphere. The four song salvo from the new album at the begining didnt seem to be too well received even when Beatiful Day came on the reaction was restrained to say the least.

The sing a long Still Havent Found was quiet with only Elevation,Vertigo and the intro to Streets getting the expected levels of exitement from the crowd.
The disco version of I'll Go Crazy did seem to go down well which was a surprise.

Overall I thought the venue was poor, with organiztion non existent. Getting to your seat reminded me of pushing through the throng to get to the terrace in a 1980's football match.

As for the show,I think the new stuff is great with Bono exceeding all expectations with his vocals with the closing Moment Of Surrender being the high point.
Ultraviolet's new intro is awesome though I think the laser jacket and swinging on the microphone is lost at a distance. Up close it is so intense, you can really see the way Bono uses the mic as a prop even more so in With Or Without You.

Overall a good show, however picking the only two shows of the tour to get the same set each night was dissapointing I know they played Mysterious Ways and they didn't at Glasgow. I have a feeling that if they had not had sound problems it would have been played there too as it was listed on U2.com as being played.I had thoughts we would only get a "safe" setlist as the show was being broadcast on the radio.

Lack of atmosphere was the main downer. Hundreds left at the end of the main set with a constant stream of people leaving the venue during the last five songs. If you were in the pit or right in the middle of the GA area it wouldnt have been noticable I suppose.

If only they had'nt had sound problems at Glasgow I would have had a perfect U2 gig I think

One day I may get the much vaunted U2 concert experience where you are picked up and moved to another place in a sort of spiritual spine tingling moment.
Or perhaps this just doesnt exist and its a myth cretaed by clever video editing on concert DVD's. Those who were at Slane Castle in 2001 will know for sure.

>> One day I may get the much vaunted U2 concert experience where you are picked up and moved to another place in a sort of spiritual spine tingling moment.
Or perhaps this just doesnt exist and its a myth cretaed by clever video editing on concert DVD's. Those who were at Slane Castle in 2001 will know for sure. <<

Yes it does exist, it happened at Wembley 2.

Just before, yes.

I was sat on the side where there was no cover over the seats. Everyone seemed pretty irritated.

it was a bit of scrum at about 8 pm when i went for coffee up behind that area. people seemed ok though - quite patient.

i did notice alot of beer was consumed in my block. :ohmy:

I was on the outer barrier of the circle for this gig, great unobstructed view of the band. I had a sign saying 'BONO, LET ME PLAY YOUR GUITAR' :D. During Stuck in a Moment, a tall security guy with a headset came over and, whilst looking at his setlist, asked "what songs do you know?". Naturally I couldn't believe it and was saying "anything, anything, Desire, Angel of Harlem, I just wanna get up there" and he then asked how I'd rate myself as a guitarist, what my name was and said they'd see what they could do.

I was completely buzzing after this just at the possibility that I might actually get pulled up! Unfortunately nothing came of it, I suppose they couldn't take the 'risk' of letting a randomer up when it was going out live. However, during City of Blinding Lights Bono came round and did point/wink at me and the sign, so that was good enough I suppose! Great gig, the last of my 3 and what a brilliant way to end it, seeing them with my old man - his first U2 experience. Come back to the UK soon is all I can say :up:

For what it's worth my experience in the Red Zone 1 was great.

Got there about 3:15 and was almost at the ront of the quere (turnstile C). All the people there were very friendly. The stewards were great (if a bit clueless about what Red Zone meant).

Doors opened on the dot at 5pm and my friend and I were the first 2 people to get into Red Zone 1 so secured a spot right in the corner on the rail by the claw leg on Edge's side. The Red Zone filled up and people were still great - saving out spots when we went to the toilet and for food etc.

Great atmosphere during the gig as well. Everyone was into every song.

A great performance by the band as well - maybe the best of the 3 shows I went to (Dublin 2 and Wembley 2 being the others).

>> One day I may get the much vaunted U2 concert experience where you are picked up and moved to another place in a sort of spiritual spine tingling moment.
Or perhaps this just doesnt exist and its a myth cretaed by clever video editing on concert DVD's. Those who were at Slane Castle in 2001 will know for sure. <<

Agreed re Wembley 2, it doesn't happen every night on that level (Croke 2 was another for me where you just get totally lost in the moment).

Thoroughly enjoyed last night though from the front row of the Red Zone on Adams side I would have struggled not to!

Re the organisation, from the queue outside it looked pretty shambolic as nobody seemed to be organising the queue into the respective turnstyles.

Bring on Cardiff.

I was listening on the internet and some of the people that they were speaking to beforehand did seem well out of it.Sounde like a great gig though took me back to wembley on Saturday.My one criticism of the broadcast would be get some presenters who know something about the band,

the only bit of trouble i saw was at the tram stop, the doors closed as the tram was rammed full and a youth started to bang on the windows and shout abuse because they didnt allow him in for obvious reasons

a spectacular evenings entertainment

i sat in the "cheapseats" behind the stage. £35 well spent.

i would advise anyone to swap their standing tickets and go for the 'back of the stage' option!

the sound was incredible. joe o' herlihy played a blinder. as did edge by the way.

the crowd seemed to be in good spirits and everyone was on their feet as the opening strains of breathe rang out. didn't notice any fighting or unpleasant shenanigans goin' down.

still trying to get my head around the video screen and claw set-up. WOW!

cheers U2

a spectacular evenings entertainment

i sat in the "cheapseats" behind the stage. £35 well spent.

i would advise anyone to swap their standing tickets and go for the 'back of the stage' option!

same here. its great back there!

Me and my mate were listening to Key 103 and the time we got back to Manchester ( home ) people had just left the car park. Was a great gig. When we were standing outside the gates waiting to get in i decided to go for a flash in the cabins and some girl walked in on me have a slash.

:doh::lol:

One other thing, really enjoyed listening to the post-show radio broadcast on Hallam FM with lots of people calling in to talk about the show who had either been there or listened in. Helped past the hours whilst stuck in the traffic jams!

Yeah, the traffic wasn't great. Two hours to get from the car park at Don Valley Bowl to the M1 (a distance of about 2 miles !)

Worth it though.

yep very much so it did!

wow..wow..wow -
- the comments about drunkenness, probs caused because there wasnt a alcohol ban inplace outside the stadium, i was there from 9am onwards queing and there was cases of cider and lager, blue wkd etc floating around the line; and not alot of food, some ppl were drinking ALOT of vodka and cola's too! - the police and security saw all this and didnt say a single word;
had a few awkward moments once in the stadium with a drunk who i screamed at when he stood on my foot and scared off:shifty:

show itself tho..
wow!; was only my second u2 gig, had done the vertigo at manchester and thought nothing would really top it cos i had read a few comments about songs/claw etc etc and not all had been positive but i thought it was amazing concept
i love all the techy side of things so was in awe of the stage;
the swinging walkways to the long platform bit was just BRILLIANT very pleasent shock!:D
had got thirdrowish pretty central infront of the main stage; whoever was the women front row i want to thank completely for insisting my mate (who is less than 5foot cos shes a growth prob and looks 12 tho is 22!) went to see the st johns ambulance after she fell going thru the turnstyles; and also for later on letting her stand at the barrier so she could see and not get squashed with the jumping (tho cheek she spent half the show on her fone...grrrr)

song wise for me personally get on your boots stole the entire show for me; it was incredible atmosphere when they song was played it was just completely overwhelming.

they did go on late but think may of been due to the wind knocking one of Edges guitars over!:ohmy:

and happy bday for yday to Willie the stage desginer:love:

It took the same time to get back from Sheffield as it did from Glasgow when sheffield is an hour closer to home. We also had a 30 minute walk to the car park to contend with :hmm:

Glasgow was unbelieveble considering there was a major football match on at Celtic park. We were out of the pit at 10.30pm in the car 5 minutes after and on the M74 heading south at 11.02pm

I think we got away quicker than Bono and the boys

:lol:

Some Claw Pics from Sheffield

001.jpg

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

We left Liverpool at 7.30am and got to Sheffield at about 9.20am - a nice drive listening to my custom setlist. We went to Meadowhall Shopping Centre looking for a bright red shirt for my Macphisto outfit. I discovered over the past week that red shirts are *very* hard to find these days. Anyway the shops didn't open till 10am so we didn't get in the queue until 11am.

The people around us were drinking and having fun and there was some banter to be had. Once I sneaked back to the car to put my outfit was on, I did my makeup in the queue which caused quite the commotion. Later a lot of people wanted pictures with me and another "fake Edge" - pretty entertaining.

When we got in we chose back-rail of the pit again which led to some really good views of the boys as they used the catwalk. They faced inwards towards the pit more than I have experienced before... I would say this part was even better than Dublin, if only because I am convinced Edge spotted my devil-horns and laughed/smiled at me.

The crowd were pretty knowledgeable compared to other shows I've been at - Ultraviolet and Unforgettable Fire got a better response than I remembered previously.

Get on Your Boots also went off really well, those around me in the pit seemed to know the intro really well. Stuck... was absolutely great rendition, probably the best I've ever heard - and I'm not a huge fan of the song.

The screen was stuck in the down position during Crazy Tonight and Sunday Bloody Sunday, but I doubt anyone at their first show would know there was a problem. I tend to think they underutilise that aspect of the technology anyway.

Loved the A-Level banter between the lads - Edge's response of having more A-Levels than Bono was absolutely hilarious.

Crazy Tonight went down better in Sheffield than any other venue I've been at - possibly due to the North's greater exposure to dance music (random speculation). It remains the highlight of each show for me. Loved the new snippet in Sunday Bloody Sunday as well, made a nice change - though I can't name what it was, it seemed familiar.

You'll Never Walk Alone seguing into Streets was amazing. As a Liverpool fan, hearing the stadium chant it as the red fills the screen made my eyes tear up a bit. I'd previously assumed Bono wouldn't snippet it at Sheffield as there would be so many major football rivalries in the place, but the stadium seemed to come together for that moment.

I am sure I saw some people from here after the show who shouted Macphisto at me, even some people in the toilets :reject:

Getting out of Sheffield was a total nightmare though... Took over two hours and we didn't get home until well past 4am. The driving in the dark through winding hills to the strains of Zooropa and The Joshua Tree was well worth the experience though.

I'm not sure where to put Sheffield in my 360 tour league, it will take a while to settle:

1. Dublin 2 (GA)
2. Sheffield (GA)
3. London 2 (Seats)
4. Amsterdam 2 (GA)
5. Dublin 1 (Seats)
6. Amsterdam 1 (Seats)
(7). London 1 (GA, I missed this but sat outside :down:)

I look forward to my last show on Saturday. Thankfully in seats again.

"Off with the horns, and on with the show"

Nice pics KEVIN051269 :applaud:

What an exhausting but fantastic day:crack:
I got picked up at 08.00 and we enjoyed a nice journey to Sheffield by the time we had parked up and joined the line it was 11.00 was quite surprised at the length of the queue but my worries were eased when I was told that we were about 500th in the line so would have no worries about getting in the inner circle.The time soon passed by having a good chat to people around us and even the odd shower didn't dampen our spirits,I did see thelaj who was just to the right of us and I have to say I was very impressed with his Mcphisto getup and I'm sorry I didn't get to say hello to him,but he seemed to busy having his piccy taken,even with an Edge alike:D
When the doors did finally open I noticed quite a few people appear down the right hand side who I had not seen all day who seemed to be forcing their way down the line:angry:
I had seen the claw from outside and was suitably impressed but when you get up close well words just can't describe the sheer size of it and you have to hand it to Willie Williams and Mark Fisher they have created the best stage ever:applaud:
We managed to get a good spot in the circle pretty much central to stage about halfway back.
I was very impressed by the hours and will be looking up some of their music ,Elbow I knew would fantastic as I have seen them before and they didn't let me down,Then came the mighty U2 and I was completely blown away by them I definitely felt something which I didn't at Manchester 1 in 2005 as everybody around me was really up for and that made a big difference you felt more involved with the show I also felt that the band are in much better form
so after having an amazing day we had to endure the longest traffic jams I have ever witnessed(thanks to Sheffield police for their wonderful traffic management:lol:)we finally got home at 04.30 tired but still buzzing from an amazing show

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom