August 20th Don Valley Stadium Sheffield - UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
75785916.jpg

69260239.jpg

44386326.jpg

88926372.jpg

99196748.jpg

29527635.jpg

65105427.jpg

64307690.jpg

First U2 concert ever, first time GA.
Landed a sweet spot 3 rows infront of Bono. Never in a million years did I think I'd get this close to the stage for a show.

Incredible show! When they came on one by one to play Breathe I was snapping pics of Adam I completely forgot about Bono, when I moved my camera away from my face he had just stepped up to the mic. I yelled out the biggest cheer I've ever done :lol:

There was so much energy from the band it was hard to give the same energy back.
Mysterious Ways was the song I really, really want to hear live, and they played it! I was over the moon, great birthday present :applaud:

I was super excited the moment I arrived in Sheffield and saw the stage from the train passing through Meadowhall!!

Took about 450 pics, and I took my SD card to Asda and ordered 400 photos to be printed for £20.

I cannot wait for the Vegas show :hyper::love:

Edge looked at me directly and i nearly shat my pants. Never been that close to the band before.

Was there something wrong the The Edge's wireless guitar transmitter last night ?

There seemed to be a long delay before U2 came on. Dallas Schoo seemed to spend ages working on the guitars, with Jake Berry and Rocco Reedy staring down into the underworld with concerned looks on their faces.

I noticed that for most of the songs Edge's guitars were plugged in rather than wireless, hence him spending most of the show tethered to his spot somewhat rather than going walkabout.

I haven't noticed this at prevous shows, but this is the first time I've been so close (Red Zone 1) so I could be talking rubbish ! On Crazy and Streets he did have a wireless transmitter.

Great show nonetheless !

Was there something wrong the The Edge's wireless guitar transmitter last night ?

There seemed to be a long delay before U2 came on. Dallas Schoo seemed to spend ages working on the guitars, with Jake Berry and Rocco Reedy staring down into the underworld with concerned looks on their faces.

I noticed that for most of the songs Edge's guitars were plugged in rather than wireless, hence him spending most of the show tethered to his spot somewhat rather than going walkabout.

I haven't noticed this at prevous shows, but this is the first time I've been so close (Red Zone 1) so I could be talking rubbish ! On Crazy and Streets he did have a wireless transmitter.

Great show nonetheless !

Yeah i thought that, i also noticed Bono was grounded to the spot almost all night.

Nice pics. It's unusual to see Kingdom being performed still at daytime/sunset, I'm used to the dark. :D

Thanks. :wave:

the sun had only just set before the u2 set, all the way through elbow it was blaring from behind the claw and it wasnt comfortable to watch them. although my mate came out with a classic line, "i hope that suns gone before the end of today!" :der::lmao:

i was dissapointed about the screen during crazy tonight though, i was hoping to get a good pic of the nodding heads but beggers cant be choosers!

Yeah i thought that, i also noticed Bono was grounded to the spot almost all night.

It does sort of make a bit of a mockery of the whole 360 thing when 80% of the show they stand in standard concert position facing the front.

I still think the stage should have been in the centre of the field and rotating then it would have been a true 360 conset.
Personally it didnt bother me as I had a great position in the pit at Glasgow and decent seats at Sheffield.

I would imagine some more casual fans bought tickets expecting an "in the round" type show and ended up been disappointed with the view they got.

I for one would not have wanted a behind the stage seat.

It does sort of make a bit of a mockery of the whole 360 thing when 80% of the show they stand in standard concert position facing the front.

I still think the stage should have been in the centre of the field and rotating then it would have been a true 360 conset.
Personally it didnt bother me as I had a great position in the pit at Glasgow and decent seats at Sheffield.

I would imagine some more casual fans bought tickets expecting an "in the round" type show and ended up been disappointed with the view they got.

I for one would not have wanted a behind the stage seat.
Apparently the sound was excellent behind the stage,but then again i thought it was great where i was. My only gripes were.
1. No BAD
2. They should be finishing with Streets. I thought they peaked with this song and MOS is not a closer. The motto is " Always leave them wanting more" and for me MOS doesn't do that.

I was really disappointed when U2 announced this tour as I wasn't able to find the cash. Having seen them on Elevation and Vertigo I was gutted not to be going. I was offered the chance to work the Sheffield gig as a steward though, and thinking this could either be the best or worst thing I could agree to do (if I ended up outside the stadium I would be devastated), I agreed to the shift thinking what the hell, it's better than nothing!
When we arrived we were told we were working the barriers outside. I wanted to go home. Then after a briefing I found out we would be working the barriers around the inner circle. I started to get really excited.
Shortly after arriving I heard the sound of Edge's guitar, which gave me shivers. Not long after the band came on stage for their sound check. This was a once in a lifetime kind of thing. Bono came round the walkway on the side we were working and I let out a small squeal much to the amusement of my co-workers.
Half an hour before the band were due to come on stage a few of us were moved to the barriers by where the band were to walk into the stadium. I felt like I was going to cry!
When the band started to walk towards me I couldn't believe my luck. The atmosphere was electric as they entered the stadium and the guys were heading straight past me. I was grinning like an idiot. Adam smiled as he walked past, Edge winked at me. Then came Bono. As he walked towards me he looked me right in the eye and smiled, then he offered up his hand for a high five, which I reciprocated. I was left standing in disbelief as they continued on. I also got to watch the rest of the show from a fantastic point.
I was given a telling off afterwards for high-fiving Bono, but what was I going to do - ignore him?! Hell no! I am still buzzing from that and the show, it was certainly a cure for the disappointment of not being able to afford a ticket. :hyper:

What a top gig apart from a couple of disappointing aspects of it which i will mention later. I thought all the tunes went down really well and had a top sing along with a random group of lads singing ultraviolet. Thought the whole crowd sing along to ishfwilf was amazing as well, although having mos as a closer is a bit disappointing and ends the gig on a low note even though its a good song. Anyway got in there for around 5.30 and got quite a good standing point just outside the barrier and had some good banter with a few other fans. Most of the crowd were quite decent when letting you back through after you had been for something to eat/drink/toilet. But after my girlfriend went to the toliet about 7.30 a few rude people wouldn't let her back through so i had to go out from where we had been standing for couple of hours and by that point the crowd had grown and couldn't get back in at all. We found quite a decent position on adams side in the end but a few *nobs would had obviously drank far to much decided to have a piss in the middle of the crowd mainly on me and my girlfriend.... I wondered why my legs went all warm, I thought u2 had started to use some new leg warming special effect lol. Dont know if it was good as some other u2 gigs ive been to but enjoyed most of it none the less.

but a few *nobs would had obviously drank far to much decided to have a piss in the middle of the crowd mainly on me and my girlfriend.... I wondered why my legs went all warm, I thought u2 had started to use some new leg warming special effect lol.

OMG, that's awful. :huh::down::yuck::yuck::yuck: I'm sorry. :(

There was 4 lads infront of us who bought a 12 pack case of Strongbow and another beer case to enjoy in line. When we was about to get in they had 4 cans left so they were asking everyone in line of they wanted a free can, but no one would take them :lol:

The "fans" I encountered at Sheffield, give or take a few, were hideous. People near me in the inner circle were drunk, rude, violent and totally disinterested in the band. they were more interested in protecting their "missus".

Really disappointed with the stadium and the atmosphere, for me easily the worst show of my European tour and probably the worst U2 show I've ever been to in over 17 years... Cardiff on the other other hand was probably the best i'd ever seen....:hmm:

Oh, and the South Yorkshire police force are totally incapable of running a major event. I can't see the band ever playing Sheffield ever again, and quite frankly the city doesn't deserve them...

^ Wow, that's pretty harsh. I haven't been there but I've had similar experiences at at least one U2 show this year, still I wouldn't say it was the "worst" show I've ever been to or that people in that particular city are especially awful. It's bad luck, depending on where you're standing and how the people around you behave. It sucks, though, and I'm sorry you've had a bad concert experience because of that.

I agree about the number of drunks at Sheffield. There was a family/party in the queue near me and they had a massive cold box full of beer and were drinking from 1030 when they arrived. Very loud and drunk by the time we got into the stadium. My friend and I made sure we didnt end up near them. Many people were drunk - they really should make all concerts alcohol free. The amount of beer bottles on the ground at the end of the show was horrendous. Plus the stench of vomit nearly made me ill.

Then the ground security closed the T shirt stand when there was a massive crowd wanting to buy things. I`d queued for over half hour at the end of the show to get a Don Valley T shirt to be told they couldn`t serve me when I eventually got to the front and there were still plenty of people behind me. The band lost lots of sales money there and those T shirts aren`t available on the website.......grr!

I originally come from Doncaster and it makes me cringe with embarressment at how the locals behaved and how the local security treated people. No wonder I moved south when I was 18..............I`ve no regrets. Wembley was a perfect example how how to organise and treat fans.

^ Wow, that's pretty harsh. I haven't been there but I've had similar experiences at at least one U2 show this year, still I wouldn't say it was the "worst" show I've ever been to or that people in that particular city are especially awful. It's bad luck, depending on where you're standing and how the people around you behave. It sucks, though, and I'm sorry you've had a bad concert experience because of that.

I thought long and hard about my post, and I know it's a lottery who you are stood next to, but sometimes a place or event has a "feel" and the vibe all around (IMO) was very boozy and close to trouble... I will never understand what motivates people to queue all day and get so drunk that they will probably remember very little about the gig, or spend most of the time in the toilet...

I have queued for GA at Wembley, Paris, Dublin and Cardiff and as soon as I got to Sheffield I could tell that it would be a bad atmosphere... I'd like to also point out that I've been to loads of other gigs by other bands, festivals (including Glastonbury) so I'm not some timid scared little mouse!!!! :wink:

For me if a U2 gig has people from all over the world down the front (some having made the journey on their own), it will be a better standing experience... If it has loads of big lads in groups with their birds, it will probably be poor....

I know i'm generalising here, but it's just the way I see it...

Oh, and the South Yorkshire police force are totally incapable of running a major event. I can't see the band ever playing Sheffield ever again, and quite frankly the city doesn't deserve them...

i know its my local force but i totally agree, s yorks police are a total farce when it comes to big events, this gig and hillsboro :pray: being prime examples

Back
Top Bottom