August 14th, Wembley Stadium, London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(My photos are here.)

Yeah the music was turned up very, very loud in there last night. Definitely the loudest I've heard yet.

London is calling but London Bridge is not falling! Or so said Bono. London was roaring and jumping.

I had a wee notion before the concert that the atmosphere might have a touch of the English reserve last night. And be affected by the UK / London (healthy) cynical attitude to most things. I live in London now and around 99% of my friends and colleagues have zero interest in U2, many actually professing a profound dislike of them.

I thought some of this might carry over into the gig but not a chance. The crowd were well up for it, there was a superb atmosphere. London is (another) one of the big shows on the tour, having a lot of media and music industry big wigs, and it was also an early home from home for U2, they have a huge core audience here.

They responded with a truly great performance. It had the emotional intensity of old friends becoming reacquainted: U2 and London, U2 and Wembley Stadium. Bono even joked about how U2 were older than Wembley at one point, I guess he may have meant the all-new shiny Wembley, compared to the all-dilapidated shitty Wembley from before.

Bono promised something special as London has been so good to U2 since they first got here with a demo tape aged 18. I initially thought it would mean a new surprise song like how The Auld Triangle appeared in Dublin 1, maybe they'd play London Calling! Or Roll Out The Barrels. But no, he just meant a special concert. And it was.

Wembley is a very, very vast and very beautiful stadium. (Can I say very vast?) And the whole place was rocking. It's almost like the bigger the stadium the bigger the performance. There was an Indian family in the row below me: mum, dad, gran and four year old boy. They spent the first four songs seated and watching. U2 had completely conquered Wembley when they were up and dancing and clapping during Beautiful Day and ISHFWILF.

Elevation was wonderfully pogotastic, Vertigo was massive, old-style Streets had the communal blast-off, Mysterious Ways had the English dancing to an Irish beat. Watch out Cuba!

Some random observations:

- Bono put an Irish tricolour and British Union Jack side by side on an amplifier on the stage during Sunday Bloody Sunday, a nice touch to show how far things have moved on since 1982

- I think there was a new little bass flourish from Adam during the choruses of Streets

- the show wasn't recorded for DVD, at least I didn't see any additional cameras like those boom cameras

- the early start time and curfew didn't affect the atmosphere at all I think, many people were drinking outside all day with carry outs

- it was the most multicultural crowd I've seen yet. Other shows have had a very international audience, but still mostly Caucasian. There were more blacks and Asians there last night than anywhere else

- when Bono thanked the audience at the end of Mysterious Ways, a girl behind me roared back "No! Thank YOU!" - which I thought was very English :)

- Elbow were really good, I love their last CD, they're not an obvious stadium band, but they're a superb live band and got the crowd going well enough

- met a couple of Interferencers. Adrian and Karina have been camping out overnight in the GA queue at many concerts around Europe, they got to be first place for yesterday's show. Also "met" Anji, well she said hello in the GA queue as I was trying (and failing) to do some plugging. Sorry I didn't stay to chat for longer!

- there was one guy jumping around like a complete lunatic for the whole concert on his own in the tennis court sized area behind the stage on Adam's side. He was playing air guitar, air drums, running around, twirling his shirt over his head, down on his knees, hands joyously spread over his head, the whole gamut of a guy in love with the music and having an amazing time, except he probably only caught glimpses of the band very occasionally. I then realised it had all actually been a very prolonged and elaborate mating dance. He was joined periodically by a young female of the species about an hour or so into the gig. I hope they're nesting :)

More again tonight please boys!

I just want to thank you for the pic of "MacPhisto" in your pic set. That is the BEST fan pic that I have seen so far during the 360 tour.:up:

I only wished that Bono would have seen him. I bet he would have ended up onstage. :wink:

Mulago Positive Women’s Network :hug:

The sound at the new Wembley is excellent- although judging by the ringing in my ears it was louder last night

Really? I heard a very big echo on both of the nights (first night right before the soundboard, second night front row). Though I also heard from people who were on the side, that the sound was quite good. So maybe it's only the front where the sound was lousy.
I think they tried to drown out the echo with the volume.

So let me explain what happened... :doh:

I had travelled down to London with my girlfriend, her brother, and sister. Her siblings were going to the theatre, and we had GA tickets (bought from the ever-graceful Mikey on here). Before we split on Oxford Street, the two ladies swapped handbags - why is anyone's guess. Now my plan was to have a chilled out evening at the back of GA after my hardcore Dublin & Amsterdam experiences, which is why it was 8pm by the time we got to Wembley.

We get off at Wembley Central and I say "check which gate we are in" and she replies saying "Luke - I can't find the tickets!". Naturally I thought this was a joke, as I had previously lost (and replaced) my Sheffield GA ticket!

Then the tears came as she cursed herself and everybody else. Touts approached us but we had just £40 in cash and our heads were spinning. The round trip to get the tickets would have been nearly two hours... so was basically out of the question... but we were going to do it anyway.

On the way round the stadium to Wembley Park a scouse tout (like ourselves) stopped and offered us 2 x £150 tickets for £60 the pair. My gf says I only have £40 so he accepts it. To be honest at this point £40 was a small marginal cost versus the total trip, so we took the chance.

We go to the entrance where they say there is a problem to go to the Ticketbastard office, so we do... only to be told it is the OTHER office. I am not someone known for my long temper, so at this point I got annoyed and rattled some railings but stopped before I was arrested :hug:

At the real Ticketbastard office, the guy tells us that these tickets have been replaced and the owners are sitting in those seats. The GA were non-replaceable and we were ticketless so there was nothing to do but sit outside the stadium - me enraged and her crying. It is funny in a twisted way, but TUF sounds very very cold and bleak outside the stadium - really fitted our mood. After clumsily posting on here, I tried to get myself in gear and cheer up so I started taking photos and dancing like a lunatic during Crazy Tonight... I guess in the end it worked because we got home ready to have a party at Wembley II the following night with her siblings (and we did).

dscf3518x.jpg

dscf3540.jpg

Man that's a disastrous evening thelaj, especially with that scuzzy tout selling you unusuable tickets. And a fellow Scouse too. Karma will get him soon.

And the guy who was jumping around like a loon all night has made it onto his own video on the U2 homepage!

luke - what a total nightmare.
you sound to me like you have a very even temper...!

Really? I heard a very big echo on both of the nights (first night right before the soundboard, second night front row). Though I also heard from people who were on the side, that the sound was quite good. So maybe it's only the front where the sound was lousy.
I think they tried to drown out the echo with the volume.

the sound was fine- just a bit louder than the previous 360 shows I'd been to.

Madonna had appalling sound problems when she played there last year (although not being able to hear it would have been preferable- unfortunately I could hear it where I was)- so much so that the stadium had alot of complaints about it

it's always going to be hard to get it completely right in a place like that- it's alot better than it used to be

as for the ticket story- that is my worst nightmare....I cannot imagine what that must have felt like, and probably why I repeatedly check I have the tickets with me all the way from Gloucester to Wembley!

as for the ticket story- that is my worst nightmare....I cannot imagine what that must have felt like, and probably why I repeatedly check I have the tickets with me all the way from Gloucester to Wembley!

That's what happens when you give women a bit of responsibility eh :D:lol::wink:

Would it not have been possible for Ticketmaster to reprint your original "lost" tickets at the venue?

This same scenario happened to me once here in SF, so we went to the ticket window and asked them to reprint the tickets after showing them our ID and credit card. Maybe if you didn't have your credit card with you it'd be impossible, but I think most Will Call windows can print tickets on the spot.

Luke, I am so sorry to hear your story, what a load of crap. So sorry for what happened to you. I would have totally freaked out. Glad to hear you had at least a great night at the second show :hug:

This same scenario happened to me once here in SF, so we went to the ticket window and asked them to reprint the tickets after showing them our ID and credit card. Maybe if you didn't have your credit card with you it'd be impossible, but I think most Will Call windows can print tickets on the spot.

Something similar happened to me (not for u2). A friend lost his ticket the day of the show. I called TM customer service, and they said to pick the new tickets up at the box office.

Sheffield, last night, absolutely fantastic, high points? take your pick, the whole show for me, took my 15 year old son, who before last night could probably have been described as a casual U2 fan, said immediately after the show, "the best night of my life" praise indeed, the atmosphere was incredible, I was approx, 10 metres from front right leg of claw, to my right a group of about 150 lads who had had a few beers & before U2 took to stage I thought might end up spoiling it for rest of us near them were absolute stars themselves throughout set, never stopped bouncing up & down all night singing every word of every song, & just generally making for an even better Live experience, so if any of that group are reading apologies and thanks in equal measure for initial bad thoughts about you, and for the party mood throughout show. Finally, The Hours, & Elbow, again fantastic sets from both, have to admit knew nothing of The Hours prior to show, needless to say they've won 2 new fans in my son, & me.
Marks out of 10, 11, how can you thank someone for giving your son "the best night of my life" thanks U2, Sheff. crowd, The Hours, & Elbow, incredible!!!!!

Sheffield, last night, absolutely fantastic, high points? take your pick, the whole show for me, took my 15 year old son, who before last night could probably have been described as a casual U2 fan, said immediately after the show, "the best night of my life" praise indeed, the atmosphere was incredible, I was approx, 10 metres from front right leg of claw, to my right a group of about 150 lads who had had a few beers & before U2 took to stage I thought might end up spoiling it for rest of us near them were absolute stars themselves throughout set, never stopped bouncing up & down all night singing every word of every song, & just generally making for an even better Live experience, so if any of that group are reading apologies and thanks in equal measure for initial bad thoughts about you, and for the party mood throughout show. Finally, The Hours, & Elbow, again fantastic sets from both, have to admit knew nothing of The Hours prior to show, needless to say they've won 2 new fans in my son, & me.
Marks out of 10, 11, how can you thank someone for giving your son "the best night of my life" thanks U2, Sheff. crowd, The Hours, & Elbow, incredible!!!!!

Brilliant jimmmm! But wrong thread I think :)

Sorry to hear about such a nightmare Luke! I literally do not know what I would have done in such a situation. The only time I've had something like that is when me and some mates were going to see The Verve on a Thursday and the guy who had the tickets only realised he had tickets for the show on the Friday, when we were at the turnstiles of the venue! We all stumped up and bought replacements from a tout so got to see the show, but I'll never forget the awful wash of emotion that engulfed me when we first realised the mistake.

In hindsight I could've held onto the tickets and met you there at Wembley! Good to hear you enjoyed the second night and (hopefully) Sheffield though. :applaud:

Also "met" Anji, well she said hello in the GA queue

:ohmy: I have spent the past week thinking I have complete amnesia. I know I was very tired, but I could not remember this at all :sad:

The company (Anji :flirt: )
The company.... Was that me? My floppy Banana? or Paul? (the reluctant U2 fan) :lol:

it was me who you met :wave: but yeah we do have similar names :wink:

Thanks for clearing up that one, and my amnesia Anja :lol: Shame I didn't get to see you :hug:

Sorry to hear about your evening Thelaj :huh:

I deffinatley think this was the "poor relation" performance wise to Wembley 2, which just ROCKED :hyper:

What a miserable bunch of bassas in the first photo! Must have been during Glasvegas's set.

What a miserable bunch of bassas in the first photo! Must have been during Glasvegas's set.

Elbow opened that night, actually. I thought they were really good, charming lead singer.

I think Glasvegas are exhausted from touring nonstop for the past year. They played in California five different times over the past seven months. James (the singer) told me, "If I hadn't experienced it myself, I would've thought our tour schedule was a joke."

Too bad their U2 openers were flat, they didn't make any new fans the way they played. Hope they win the Mercury Prize tonight over that horrible Florence record.

Elbow opened that night, actually. I thought they were really good, charming lead singer.

I think Glasvegas are exhausted from touring nonstop for the past year. They played in California five different times over the past seven months. James (the singer) told me, "If I hadn't experienced it myself, I would've thought our tour schedule was a joke."

Too bad their U2 openers were flat, they didn't make any new fans the way they played. Hope they win the Mercury Prize tonight over that horrible Florence record.

Elbow were very good. But after some of us were stupid enough to be in the GA queue from 8am, we needed something to wind us up and not chill us down, which Sadly Elbow did, and I nearly fell asleep :lol:

I still think The Hours Blew both Elbow and poxvegas off the stage :up:

Back
Top Bottom