August 10, 2009 Maksimir Stadium, Zagreb, Croatia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The second concert in Zagreb had the typical second concert atmosphere - much more a party atmosphere, few changes to the setlist, better, more energetic crowd. This time Walk On segued directly into Streets, while the Tutu speech was leading into One, which provides a much better flow to the show. Ultra Violet was again amazing, With or Without You with the Shine Like Stars verse was a big highlight, but the biggest one for me wasn't even on the concert - full version of Your Blue Room was soundchecked before the show. :drool:

I had the impression again that the first part of the show was better than the second one - Mysterious Ways was a highlight with the crowd going nuts and a crowd member dancing with Bono, despite the crime that Edge does not play the solo. Stand By Me snippet was another amazing moment. I'm not sure if the balloon thing worked - there were a lot of white balloons on the field, but didn't see many on the stands. Still, Bono picked up one of those white balloons so that was interesting.

Anyway, wouldn't mind seeing Bad on that setlist, but all in all, the shows were a success, hopefully they'll be back to our country on the next tour.

:) First U2 show. Awesome despite generally knowing the setlist (but I did not listen to any mp3s/bootlegs and watch any Youtube videos so plenty of surprises, fear not even if you watch the setlists closely).

The Claw :up: Nothing will prepare you for it, even if you've seen pics or Youtube vids. How does it expand though ? It looked the same size throughout the show to me...

Highlights:

- opening with four NLOTH songs - in particular Breathe my favourite early on in the show.
- MW, with the girl dancing (ha, didn't even notice the solo's missing) and then "Simona! Simona! Simona!" chanting from the right side seats.
- the screen at the end of Vertigo, also COBL and the start of Crazy tonight and SBS
- Crazy tonight. I remember reading they're doing a different version but I still had no idea what's coming when Bono went "I don't wanna go to war!" and all 4 of them grooved to the beat and clapped their hands on the screen. Tons of fun.
- audience screaming "we want more! we want more!" after One and the wave they did right before the show started.
- the entire encore works really well, especially Ultraviolet - the performance, the jacket, everything. The best song tied with Crazy tonight.

Surprised by no direct segue into Streets and maybe they could try an entire acoustic set rather than a single song.

U2Girl its normally the screen that expands downwards, it wasnt working yesterday.

Hey U2girl, your first U2 concert! That's pure complete fabness! Especially for a Blue Crack Addict :)

The atmosphere was sooooo much better last night, although I think it was actually a "first night" audience if you know what I mean? There seemed to be more, ahem, "real" U2 fans there last night; you know, fans who know all the songs and all the words and want to join in as they watch their heroes play them. The energy was a few cans of Red Bull higher and the cheers were many decibels louder.

The party got going from the start with a reasonably successful Irish tricolour flash mob with balloons. There were a lot of white balloons on the field and in the stand I was in at the back of the stadium, and a fair scattering of green and orange balloons on the two side stands. Of course it's not easy to spot the darker coloured balloons in the stands when the lights are only on the stage, so I don't know if the band would have noticed them so much. But then everyone started to knock the balloons into the air, and as the breeze gently blew all the balloons into one side of the stadium it was like a huge happy lava lamp as the people there tried to keep them all aloft for as long as possible. It looked really cool from where I was.

Bono took a white balloon from a fan during Breathe and then later tried to kick it off the stage. And failed :)

My favourite moment of the gig was when the crowd spontaneously burst into chanting Simona's name after her confident strut and dance with Bono onstage during Mysterious Ways. There was a huge cheer when Bono said her name so I suspect there may be some other Croatian cultural reference there.

There were massive, amazing singalongs for ISHFWILF, Stand By Me and Stuck, even if the pronounciation suggested that the people near me knew the sounds of some of the words instead of the actual words.

And the most welcome modification to the setlist so far: old style, long intro Streets! A very small change but a very big result. Bono sang a snippet of You'll Never Walk Along at the end of Walk On and then the deep synths of Streets started. And U2 were still on the stage! Yes! Even the full long and lovely jangly guitar intro was back! I reckon this arrangement works much better than the segue from Bishop Tutu's speech.

And I'm sure Axver was pleased to hear about this logical wee change in the running order :)

I was wondering if the rumours about the Wembley shows being recorded for DVD may be true and this change may have also been a rehearsal for that. Guess we'll find out on Friday.

Other random observations:

- as noted, the screen didn't open up for Unforgettable Fire and Blinding Lights which I hope was a technical issue as those are the two most visually dazzling songs on the video screen, especially the gorgeous, lush flame effects in UF

- Bono's turn for a couple of small timing clangers, he began ISHFWILF a bit before the band, there were smiles all around when they realised, and I think he may have mistimed the last couple of lines in Streets, it certainly didn't sound right

- Bono made a couple of references to Sarajevo during the concert which didn't cause any negative reaction from the people around me so I was hoping they'd play it as I missed it on the Vertigo tour, but alas no

- Larry clearly read my review of Sunday's gig on here and decided to let Bono include Shine Like The Stars in WoWY which was bloomin great (although Bono then indicated to the band to wrap the song up, which completely ruins my foolproof theory about who controls ending songs)

- and a personal gripe, the bloody security guy took the pen I had in my bag off me as I went into the stadium! It is, of course, mightier than the sword, but not mightier than the guns the police in the stadium were carrying, those Croats must be a feisty bunch occasionally

- those Aung San Suu Kyi can actually be a bit of a liability. Just as Bono was trying to explain to the audience about today's court ruling in Burma about her house arrest, and then when he was singing MLK, and I and many others really wanted to listen to it in comparative silence, some people around me were having fits of hysterics as they messed around with wearing the masks. I was once tut-tutted and told off at a Van Morrisson gig for having a chat with a friend during a song. Maybe I'm entering the grumpy ol codger zone but, well, their laughter didn't seem appropriate and spoiled a large part of the impact of MLK for me.

But last night's concert was the concert I'd been expecting in Zagreb, the band seemd to have a little bit more spark and there was a hyper, happy and up-for-it crowd!

:yes: Forgot to add it was great finally hearing the songs like Pride, SBS, One or I still haven't found and WOWY after all the years of listening to albums or bootlegs.

Also, nice to see Larry singing ! Boots, Unknown caller and I think there was a 3rd song with him on vocals too.

Hey U2girl, your first U2 concert! That's pure complete fabness! Especially for a Blue Crack Addict :)

The atmosphere was sooooo much better last night, although I think it was actually a "first night" audience if you know what I mean? There seemed to be more, ahem, "real" U2 fans there last night; you know, fans who know all the songs and all the words and want to join in as they watch their heroes play them. The energy was a few cans of Red Bull higher and the cheers were many decibels louder.

The party got going from the start with a reasonably successful Irish tricolour flash mob with balloons. There were a lot of white balloons on the field and in the stand I was in at the back of the stadium, and a fair scattering of green and orange balloons on the two side stands. Of course it's not easy to spot the darker coloured balloons in the stands when the lights are only on the stage, so I don't know if the band would have noticed them so much. But then everyone started to knock the balloons into the air, and as the breeze gently blew all the balloons into one side of the stadium it was like a huge happy lava lamp as the people there tried to keep them all aloft for as long as possible. It looked really cool from where I was.

Bono took a white balloon from a fan during Breathe and then later tried to kick it off the stage. And failed :)

My favourite moment of the gig was when the crowd spontaneously burst into chanting Simona's name after her confident strut and dance with Bono onstage during Mysterious Ways. There was a huge cheer when Bono said her name so I suspect there may be some other Croatian cultural reference there.

There were massive, amazing singalongs for ISHFWILF, Stand By Me and Stuck, even if the pronounciation suggested that the people near me knew the sounds of some of the words instead of the actual words.

And the most welcome modification to the setlist so far: old style, long intro Streets! A very small change but a very big result. Bono sang a snippet of You'll Never Walk Along at the end of Walk On and then the deep synths of Streets started. And U2 were still on the stage! Yes! Even the full long and lovely jangly guitar intro was back! I reckon this arrangement works much better than the segue from Bishop Tutu's speech.

And I'm sure Axver was pleased to hear about this logical wee change in the running order :)

I was wondering if the rumours about the Wembley shows being recorded for DVD may be true and this change may have also been a rehearsal for that. Guess we'll find out on Friday.

Other random observations:

- as noted, the screen didn't open up for Unforgettable Fire and Blinding Lights which I hope was a technical issue as those are the two most visually dazzling songs on the video screen, especially the gorgeous, lush flame effects in UF

- Bono's turn for a couple of small timing clangers, he began ISHFWILF a bit before the band, there were smiles all around when they realised, and I think he may have mistimed the last couple of lines in Streets, it certainly didn't sound right

- Bono made a couple of references to Sarajevo during the concert which didn't cause any negative reaction from the people around me so I was hoping they'd play it as I missed it on the Vertigo tour, but alas no

- Larry clearly read my review of Sunday's gig on here and decided to let Bono include Shine Like The Stars in WoWY which was bloomin great (although Bono then indicated to the band to wrap the song up, which completely ruins my foolproof theory about who controls ending songs)

- and a personal gripe, the bloody security guy took the pen I had in my bag off me as I went into the stadium! It is, of course, mightier than the sword, but not mightier than the guns the police in the stadium were carrying, those Croats must be a feisty bunch occasionally

- those Aung San Suu Kyi can actually be a bit of a liability. Just as Bono was trying to explain to the audience about today's court ruling in Burma about her house arrest, and then when he was singing MLK, and I and many others really wanted to listen to it in comparative silence, some people around me were having fits of hysterics as they messed around with wearing the masks. I was once tut-tutted and told off at a Van Morrisson gig for having a chat with a friend during a song. Maybe I'm entering the grumpy ol codger zone but, well, their laughter didn't seem appropriate and spoiled a large part of the impact of MLK for me.

But last night's concert was the concert I'd been expecting in Zagreb, the band seemd to have a little bit more spark and there was a hyper, happy and up-for-it crowd!

yeah, much much better gig than on sunday. Your reviews are always spot on so I will just add some minor points:

- Simona - there is a model/semi celebrity in Croatia named Simona. Something like Paris Hilton - she is a complete nothing and nobody, but she is everywhere, froem reality shows to mucis etc, and she really is a joke for majority of the country so when she said her name it was a big laoghing point for the stadium. So we started chanting her name just for the fun of it :)
- reciting Croatian poet in Croatian language from Bono - this was probably the high point for Croats in the stadium. It is one of the greatest Croatian poets, and the verse is from his biggest work. The line goes "oh beautifull, oh dear, oh sweet freedom". Bono already recited that line in modena '95 when they performed Miss Sarajevo for the first time with Pavaroti (it was not a U2 gig). I guarantee you that there were many watery eyes during that - and he did it during Beautifull Day

here is the clip from Modena:
YouTube - Pavarotti & U2 - Miss Sarajevo

Which of the pre-show taped songs was Kingdom ? The one with repeated "soon....soon....soon" right before they started ?

:yes: Forgot to add it was great finally hearing the songs like Pride, SBS, One or I still haven't found and WOWY after all the years of listening to albums or bootlegs.

Also, nice to see Larry singing ! Boots, Unknown caller and I think there was a 3rd song with him on vocals too.

Moment of Surrender.

Which of the pre-show taped songs was Kingdom ? The one with repeated "soon....soon....soon" right before they started ?

Yes.

Amazing! Part of me would love to have that first U2 concert experience again.

- Simona - there is a model/semi celebrity in Croatia named Simona. so when she said her name it was a big laoghing point for the stadium. So we started chanting her name just for the fun of it :)

Ah, that's why. Thanks for explaining that.

- reciting Croatian poet in Croatian language from Bono - this was probably the high point for Croats in the stadium. It is one of the greatest Croatian poets, and the verse is from his biggest work. The line goes "oh beautifull, oh dear, oh sweet freedom". I guarantee you that there were many watery eyes during that - and he did it during Beautifull Day

Beautiful indeed, lovely touch from Bono. I think he said something like that in English too at one point, do you remember that?

Ah, that's why. Thanks for explaining that.

Beautiful indeed, lovely touch from Bono. I think he said something like that in English too at one point, do you remember that?

yes, he recited that both in the 9th and on the 10th, right befor the first notes of BD started - during intro

Hope this fits here but Croatian TV has a great report of the show. Includes brief interview with Bono outside hotel in Zagreb. View at novatv.hr and then click on "SHOWBIZZ" then click on "Glazba" and then click on "Bono Vox o ocekivanjima u Zagrebu" it runs some 7 minutes and is very special to us because my wife appears on it!

Hope this fits here but Croatian TV has a great report of the show. Includes brief interview with Bono outside hotel in Zagreb. View at novatv.hr and then click on "SHOWBIZZ" then click on "Glazba" and then click on "Bono Vox o ocekivanjima u Zagrebu" it runs some 7 minutes and is very special to us because my wife appears on it!

Thanks for it. Anyway, when does your wife appear? At 2:46? ;) :D

Awww, memories :)

We had such an AWSOME time in Zagreb, such great shows, great atmosphere, and we were in front of the stage, in the middle, almost directly in front of Bono for the first show. The balloons in show II were beautiful. One was especially beautiful at the first concert and I was so happy to hear Unchained Melody.

I was a little sad to see the screen not expanding for the second show, I felt sorry for people only seeing this show. I also hoped they'd play Bad, during the first concert because One came early in the set and during the second show because Streets wasn't in the encore. I've never heard and seen Bad live in person :(

I loved Until the end of the world, Unchained Melody, Shine like stars and Mysterious Ways. Stay was beautiful, as was Beautiful Day, so much joy. I thought the transition Walk On - Streets was amazing, much better than the Tutu speech leading into Streets, and I was so glad to see they finally placed the Tutu speech before One, where it belongs IMO. I don't know if they'll keep it this way, though.

Getting back into the city after the show was quite an adventure. We had to walk all the way back, the streets were crowded with fans as can also be seen in the video. I was soooo exhausted after the second show, it had been so hot all the time. But it was totally worth it. We also did a lot of sightseeing, great city.

Unforgettable days for me. :up:

But I'm really sad because Zagreb II was my last show of the tour :sad: It sucks to get home after such an amazing experience.

I may upload some of the pictures I took at the first show in the next days, I didn't take my camera to show 2.

Btw, another good thing about the Zagreb shows was that it was completely dark when the concert started shortly after 9 p. m. This was the first time I saw a show starting in real darkness, it was great.

Also, you could see a good part of the claw from outside the stadium :lol:
It was a particularly cool sight when we left after the concert with the claw being lit up.

I was a little sad to see the screen not expanding for the second show, I felt sorry for people only seeing this show. I also hoped they'd play Bad, during the first concert because One came early in the set and during the second show because Streets wasn't in the encore. I've never heard and seen Bad live in person :(

I was hoping for UTEOTW and Bad, happy to hear MW, Pride and I still haven't found with Stand by me snippet though.

Look at it this way: for us that only saw the second show the screen not expanding is a good excuse to try and see them again next year :wink:

Wonderful nights. Simply amazing. The second one had more spirit, it brought tears to my eyes. But the first one was great as well. I won't forget it. :heart:

No Bad or New Year's Day (or Your Blue Room :(), but still perfect. :) Loved the We'll shine like stars. :)

I hope the foreign fans enjoyed their stay. :wave:

I had a great time:sexywink:

073.jpg

Wonderful nights. Simply amazing. The second one had more spirit, it brought tears to my eyes. But the first one was great as well. I won't forget it. :heart:

No Bad or New Year's Day (or Your Blue Room :(), but still perfect. :) Loved the We'll shine like stars. :)

I hope the foreign fans enjoyed their stay. :wave:

:wave: The "tramvaj" slow and hot ride aside, we liked it.

I'm listening to the bootleg and I guess being in the GA trenches I didn't really get the impression how loud we were (I only really caught the initial roar when they came on stage or the Stand by me singalong or the "Simona! Simona!" shouting), for example after Bono's

"Dobro veče Hrvatska...jeste dobro?!?" or "where are we?...Split...Sarajevo....Dubrovnik?"

I hope it's true and it really is "doviđenja" like he said at the end of the show.

I'm writing just now, after all the emotions are settled...
Months passed and I'm getting ready for my 4th Dublin experience, by listening to the zagreb 2 bootleg and on the spur of the moment decided to write down my emotions, thought, opinions, reflections on the show...

First, I have to say that Zagreb 2 was my last show of the 2009 part of the tour, my 4th, after dublin 1 (pit, front and central) & 2 (in the pitch, close to the outer rail) and zagreb1 in the stands

A friend of mine and myself came to the stadium at 5.30 p.m. and got into the pit, edge's side on the rail. That was the only position we weren't at, so we stayed there, not even trying to come closer to the stage :edge:
My opinion is that they let too many people in the pit, i literally didn't have a place to put my feet... So I was a bit annoyed by it:fist:

Anyway, the balloons... There's a whole story about the balloons. Here it is... In our Croatian U2 forum we came up with the idea of the Irish flag. We contacted several Balloon shops in Zagreb and none of them were interested in coming to the stadium grounds and selling balloons :doh: We didn't know what to do, so we started buying the balloons ourselves and giving them to people around us in the pit, in the stands... It whole thing worked out fine, we were very happy to see that Bono picked up one of them and kissed it :heart:
The show itself was amazing, loved every minute of it...
I was really sad when it ended, but after that we got to talk to their road crew and they told us what we know now and that is that the boys were going to have shows this summer in Europe... For us, that was a piece of info we loved hearing! :applaud::rockon::yes:

Back
Top Bottom