Zooropa Discussion (AKA We're Gonna Tweet Out Loud)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd rather have U2 taking advantage on their portfolio and making a clear political statement about today's Europe (specially when their own country is in trouble and on the group of those that are being put on "quarantine"), about what's happening here, and play "Zooropa" for europeans... Rather than "North Star" and rather than the same old pseudo-political messages (although refreshed in marketing to appeal to the crowds).

I remind that while U2 were playing in Europe, their country was weeks to go to have the intervention of the IFM because of what happened inside Ireland and outside in Europe.
But today's U2 are too much compromised with some of the issues that led Europe to what's happening today, and so, I think I understand why they choose not to play it here and make that statement.

If I had the choice really none of it I would like to hear...:crack:

But... that's irrelevant to my point...

I'm just saying, no-one in their right mind could suggest they ignored Europe when they play SIX unreleased songs on the leg. I couldn't care less if you liked them or not, fact is you can't say they IGNORED Europe, when clearly that is the most out there thing they have done on this tour. I felt they IGNORED Sydney because we didn't get new songs (apart from Stingray guitar), then I sit back and realise we got Bad, All I Want is You and Love Rescue Me, so I am pretty happy with that.

If you sit there and pick holes because U2 didn't follow the intricate or obscure theme you expect them to, then 99.9% of fans are going to be very unhappy. I am saddened to see their history of activism working against them in the other way now. People complain about U2 making social commentary, now that people expect it, they complain when they don't get it :doh:

Not that I totally agree with Aygo on the lyrical interpretation...but the first half was in fact a satire of advertising slogans, using that as a way to poke fun at a newer and better and more improved Europe, was it not?

As for the 2nd half, I just always assumed it was about transcending superficial and phony bullshit (including religion) and embracing more of the inner spirit, the true essence of life, and the limitless potential of things.

I only really 'discovered' it a couple of years ago, but I don't care what it means, it's a kickass song.

Here's an interesting bit from the September 1993 issue of Q magazine, where Adam and The Edge discuss the songs of the Zooropa album:

Zooropa
Edge: It's a song about uncertainty. We talked a lot about uncertainty when we were making the record. We kind of decided that uncertainty was not necessarily a bad thing. Right now, Europe is in this weird position where it doesn't seem to know what it is or what it wants to be. There's a simultaneous bid for unity and a rise of nationalism and right-wing politics. The future is very uncertain and you can let that intimidate or depress you or you can see it as the beginning of a new idea.

Isn't it what has always characterized Europe and it still remains today as if there was no UE at all?
U2 may not want to admit it, or, in another plan, their counsciousness may not have think about Europe's dynamics, but the lyrics totally fit what Europa is all about. Specially when the song is called "Zoo... Ropa".

I do not complain for U2 making social comments. I complain for when U2 shut their mouth very well when it's not convient for them. I'd like to know that irish people (in general) think about the institution/enterprise/multinational U2 in the context they're living today. May that be the reason why they "non-intentionally" "forgot" they had a song like "Zooropa" in their catalogue by the time they were playing in Europe (Ireland included) and, simultaneously, their own country was being (one of the) victims (not only of their internal political choices, but...) of greed of some, of disregulation of the market, but mostly, of the national egoism of european countries and, most of all, of the UE's project failure?
If U2 can turn "One" into what they turned it into, with the meaning it has today on shows, if "Miss Sarajevo" can lose its original meaning just for the pure show off of Bono's vocals and fit into the middle of a nowhere which is that part of the setlist of this tour... Why couldn't "Zooropa" have been played in Europe as a comment for what's happening here?

It didn't even had to be "Zooropa". Again, it's not a question of personal taste. It's not a question of the song X or Z not being played. It's a question of U2 missing oportunities to make a statement for things that I thought it would matter (Specially for them... we were talking about Ireland, their country, a few months ago! It's not Burkina Faso...). But it seems it's not that important and that only AIDS, Bono's social projects (that many people do not give credit anymore because of the message and the way it's been spreaded) and a few sporadic events (that no one will remember the day after) are important now.

Who here thinks if U2 played Zooropa to their European audiences that the audience would say, "my god do you hear that, he's talking about us, he really fucking cares!".

Maybe one person?

Now, how many think U2 or any band could sum up and speak up on the issues that are happening right now in Europe in a 4 minute song or two minute stage banter?

As a European I would personally think something along the lines of this.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THEYRE PLAYING ZOOROPA OMG THEY HAVENT PLAYED THAT SINCE NINETEEN NINETY THREE HOLY SHIT :hyper:

Or something..

But today's U2 are too much compromised with some of the issues that led Europe to what's happening today, and so, I think I understand why they choose not to play it here and make that statement.

When I saw that, the words "horseshit", "mountain" and "biggest of all time" leapt into my head.

YOU ARE READING TOO MUCH INTO IT AND FINDING MEANINGS THAT ARE NOT THERE! JUST ENJOY THE MUSIC! :wave:

Bono would laugh at some folks' "interpretations" of his lyrics :doh:

When I saw that, the words "horseshit", "mountain" and "biggest of all time" leapt into my head.

YOU ARE READING TOO MUCH INTO IT AND FINDING MEANINGS THAT ARE NOT THERE! JUST ENJOY THE MUSIC! :wave:

Bono would laugh at some folks' "interpretations" of his lyrics :doh:

People are free to do it, as much as the lyrics themselves give enough "freedom" to it.
Wasn't U2 themselves that have already gave plenty of interpretations for one of their biggest hits, "One"?

But... that's irrelevant to my point...

I'm just saying, no-one in their right mind could suggest they ignored Europe when they play SIX unreleased songs on the leg. I couldn't care less if you liked them or not, fact is you can't say they IGNORED Europe, when clearly that is the most out there thing they have done on this tour. I felt they IGNORED Sydney because we didn't get new songs (apart from Stingray guitar), then I sit back and realise we got Bad, All I Want is You and Love Rescue Me, so I am pretty happy with that.

yes sure they did not ignore europe...but there are just some differences in taste. I would have more enjoyed it if they played some songs that are 'worth being played', rather than this new imo totally overrated songs...I can't even remember the name of songs I heard, but I remember that I thought that it was a waste :crack:.... okay, and others maybe really liked it. :shrug:

yes sure they did not ignore europe...but there are just some differences in taste. I would have more enjoyed it if they played some songs that are 'worth being played', rather than this new imo totally overrated songs...I can't even remember the name of songs I heard, but I remember that I thought that it was a waste :crack:.... okay, and others maybe really liked it. :shrug:

And so proves my subsequent point: they can't impress everyone, and even if you didn't like the songs, surely you can appreciate that it represents a bit more guts, and a bit more boldness than we are used to with U2. People can't whinge and blame U2 if they didn't see the songs they wanted to. I wanted to see Drowning Man, Acrobat and Heartland, but THOSE FUCKERS DIDN'T PLAY THEM IN SYDNEY!!!!!<@!4864!&@^piou12 :angry:

The visuals are crap. They really need to do much more with it, or at least play it with the band in the spotlights.

Only the 3rd full Zooropa track ever played at a North American U2 concert. Stay/First Time being the other two.

Some others were soundchecked(like Wanderer 2005) given tiny snippets, done over the PA like Lemon Popmart remix. Many riffs were also souncheck jammed on the ZooTV tour stateside.

And they cut down the "I have no religion" (or "Where is my religion?" as Bono sings it now regrettably) verse. :weekend:

The visuals are crap. They really need to do much more with it, or at least play it with the band in the spotlights.

This is the most disappointing part, the end of the song is so great but the poor visuals lessen it dramatically.

With that being said, I am just thankful it's being played.

Such a beautiful version of the song! I love how they've improved it from the few times it was played on ZooTV. It's such a great song.

Although, couple of things:

1 - I'm upset that Bono forgot to sing the "uncertainty can be a guiding light" line, as that is my favorite part of the WHOLE SONG! Though, I can't say that I'm not surprised.

2 - They need to take better advantage of the Claw and the lighting. It's cool during the main verses, but once they get into the "don't worry baby" part, the lights completely leave and you just see the random blinking and cell phone/camera lights. That could very well be one of the best light shows of the entire night. Just seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

Back
Top Bottom