Your thoughts on "The Staples...."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
Lets talk about the U2 set list staples.

I think a lot of them are sounding much more vital on Leg 3 than on Legs 1 and 2. It is almost making me forget how pissed I still am that they can't drop Elevation or Walk On or both.

I Will Follow:
I know it wasn't played on the 1st 2 legs, but the 3 performances so far on this leg have reminded us exactly why it should have been! The Edge especially looks like a kid in a candy store playing this song, and its faster and Bono is singing it better than at any time since around 1985! I don't care if its been played 450 gazillion times in their career, if U2 are going to bring this much energy to a song, play it! Play it twice for all I care!

New Year's Day: Its been widely remarked upon here that Bono is singing this song amazingly well this leg. Refer to the voice highlights clip. I think it works better right up front in the set list, it gets the crowd fired up and into the show without resorting to moles in holes with souls! Massively popular and massively good. Plus, they don't wear out its welcome by over playing it like they did with say, Pride.

Sunday Bloody Sunday:
Continues its awesome run from 2009 into 2010! Elevation and Vertigo are nursing home tribute band versions compared to the 360 fired up version. Larry especially is killing this song on the drums.

Still Haven't Found: I think it sounds even better than 2009, when I thought it sounded the best since Lovetown. Instead of being the speak/sing along and play lazy moment, U2 are actually putting some energy and passion behind this song again. Once again, it has that "Gospel tune with a restless spirit" feel that Bono first described in 1987.

Streets: Continues a solid 2009 run, maybe a bit better now owing to Bono.

With or Without You:
Wow! It actually sounds like Bono decided to sing this song again instead of mumbling it out as an afterthought between Ultraviolet and MOS. The highs and lows are in the right place. It is sounding closer to the album version these days. Drastic improvement over everything since Zoo TV.

Mysterious Ways: Yes, I want the slide solo back as much as anyone, and there is a lot left to be desired here. I will never understand what possessed Larry to neuter this song single handedly on 360. However, it seems to be much tighter and pack a punch that it didn't have last year.

One: Honestly don't know. Would love some help here. I think it depends on the night. The closest thing I can develop to a pattern is these days, Bono doesn't seem to care about singing this song until it gets toward the end, then he lets loose and belts it out like he did on Zoo TV-Elevation. Boston 9/20/09 is a good example, I was at that show. I was pretty bored for the 1st part of the song, eagerly awaiting Streets, then seemingly out of nowhere, "you ask me to enter but then you made me crawl" comes out like he's trying, then the Edge's guitar and Bono's vocals kick it into high gear! Now I'm interested, and after the outro, Bono's winding up to do "hear us coming" which he does perfectly. My overall impression- "shit, that must have been the best version I've seen since Zoo TV!" Go to the boot and listen to the 1st couple minutes...not so much.

Until The End Of The World: Leg 1 OK. Leg 2. Better. Leg 3. Much, much better. Like NYD, this song always finds a way to be good, but it just seems that much better on Leg 3 of 360.

I left out City, Vertigo and Beautiful Day because we discuss them elsewhere all the time. Ditto with the newer 360 staples from NLOTH.

There just seems to be a vitality to the show that wasn't there in 2009. The set lists, IMHO, have improved a bit overall, though there are certainly some things I wouldn't have done. Like maybe dropping TUF......

I will defend U2's "greatest hits" in places like Moscow, Istanbul and Athens until I die. Zurich showed, just as I and most others expected, that it would be back to rarer stuff and brand new songs as soon as they returned to familiar territory. Hell, Zurich 2 went without NYD, Pride and WOWY!

So anyways, comments on performances of the staples would be appreciated!

Or if you are like me and feel that there is a different energy/vitality to this leg but can't quite explain it, lets hear your thoughts as well!

Thanks everyone!

Mostly agreed, with the exception of WoWY. The band is playing it just fine, but yet again Bono is half-assing it just as he has since Zooropa. Yes it's true the mumbling is a bit less pronounced, but he continues to speak most of the lyrics rather than singing them. I think part of it is its position in the setlist; Bono's been singing all night and maybe trying to save what he's got left for MoS...I'm generally in favor of keeping the "war horses" in but I'd much prefer they drop WoWY until Bono feels like it again. Pride can come back in as a staple instead.

I Will Follow is not a staple this tour. It has been played a grande total of what, 3 times now?

I love almost all songs on this list and want them to keep playing them live. Save for One.

I actually like WOWY where it is in the set list.
I can't think of a better place for it.
Sure, Bono could sing it with a little more heart and power, but I like it how it is.

I Will Follow is not a staple this tour. It has been played a grande total of what, 3 times now?

I love almost all songs on this list and want them to keep playing them live. Save for One.

Of course.

I said as much.

I just lumped it in with the staples because its been played close to 1000 times by Ax's estimation.

Plus, who could see these 3 performances and not comment on how much better they are than the already very, very good Vertigo versions?

I actually like WOWY where it is in the set list.
I can't think of a better place for it.
Sure, Bono could sing it with a little more heart and power, but I like it how it is.

I agree, it's sung much better this leg than the 2009 shows. Should stay where it is.

listening to WOWY from this leg on youtube right now as i type. Helsinki 8/20 sounds phenomenal as well as frankfurt 8/10 (a tad slow tho)....finally singing, not mumbling, and manages to get the falsetto outro....right now its sounding as good as it has in a longgg time. Although i admit the 1st legs of this tour sounded terrible :reject:

check for yourself...

I think Streets and With or Without You are the two songs on your list that I always would like to hear at a U2 show. I liked the Zoo TV version of Mysterious Ways best. Until the End of the World and New Year's Day are always welcome in a set list. I seem to prefer Out of Control over I Will Follow in songs played from the Boy album. The Rattle and Hum film version of Sunday Bloody Sunday was the best. "One" on the Vertigo and especially Elevation Tours were my favorites.

Lets talk about the U2 set list staples.

I think a lot of them are sounding much more vital on Leg 3 than on Legs 1 and 2. It is almost making me forget how pissed I still am that they can't drop Elevation or Walk On or both.

Someone prefers the older U2, huh? :wink:

Firstly, let me say I'm insanely happy they brought back Elevation this year (saw three concerts in Europe last year and they didn't play it.) Even if I heard it in 2005 it's much better today, the crowd loves it, I love it, it seems like the band loves it. And Walk On gets me every time. MLK -> Walk On is one of the greatest transitions they've done in the last couple of tours, and I seriously don't want them to drop it. They could play it at every show for the rest of their career for all I care.

I like most of the staples, because it feels like the band want to play them. They don't sound tired to me, except for two, which is Pride and With Or Without You. One in Turin was heartbreakingly beautiful, New Year's Day in Horsens I was perhaps my highlight, and Streets is fantastic every single time (I don't know how they do it). I'm amazed we actually saw a show like Zurich II, I hope they trust their audience to do things like that again, but I enjoy the staples everytime, except for With Or Without You, or, let me rephrase: Not that I don't enjoy it, it's a great song and I enjoy every song at a U2 show, I almost don't care what they play, but it was better in 2005 and earlier performances seem even better. I'm sure if they gave it a rest, it'd be more vital when it came back (like New Year's Day). What they're doing right now is a pretty good mix between staples for the average rock and (for lack of a better word) "fan songs" like unreleased material and Ultraviolet, In A Little While, Unforgettable Fire (presuming it's not gone forever) and so on...

Oh, and Mysterious Ways has never been better. Screw the solo, they play it with such energy, and works perfectly early in the set.

I think with the addition of Miss Sarajevo and Bono having to really use his voice for the high notes in the song, he has also decided to actually use the full range of his voice for WOWY and Streets and One and HMTMKMKM this leg.

Someone prefers the older U2, huh? :wink:

Haha!

Not necessarily.

I would replace Elevation with Glastonbury or NLOTH.

It is true that I love 80s U2 and think that the career balance of the 360 sets has been way, way off. IWF was the first time they reached back past 1983 all tour! SBS and NYD have been the only representatives of War, and while AB and ATYCLB are mined left and right every tour, JT has just recently gotten an album cut played with MOTD. That is unacceptable, JT and AB are equally great albums.

However, anytime I make alternate set lists, I always wind up with 11 or 12 out of 23-25 songs being from 2000 or after. Even without Elevation and Walk On.

I am in no way an advocate of U2: The Nostalgia tour. 40-50% of songs from the last decade is not a figure The Stones, AC/DC, The Who, Fogerty, The Police, etc will ever touch.

Firstly, let me say I'm insanely happy they brought back Elevation this year (saw three concerts in Europe last year and they didn't play it.) Even if I heard it in 2005 it's much better today, the crowd loves it, I love it, it seems like the band loves it. And Walk On gets me every time. MLK -> Walk On is one of the greatest transitions they've done in the last couple of tours, and I seriously don't want them to drop it. They could play it at every show for the rest of their career for all I care.

I like most of the staples, because it feels like the band want to play them. They don't sound tired to me, except for two, which is Pride and With Or Without You. One in Turin was heartbreakingly beautiful, New Year's Day in Horsens I was perhaps my highlight, and Streets is fantastic every single time (I don't know how they do it). I'm amazed we actually saw a show like Zurich II, I hope they trust their audience to do things like that again, but I enjoy the staples everytime, except for With Or Without You, or, let me rephrase: Not that I don't enjoy it, it's a great song and I enjoy every song at a U2 show, I almost don't care what they play, but it was better in 2005 and earlier performances seem even better. I'm sure if they gave it a rest, it'd be more vital when it came back (like New Year's Day). What they're doing right now is a pretty good mix between staples for the average rock and (for lack of a better word) "fan songs" like unreleased material and Ultraviolet, In A Little While, Unforgettable Fire (presuming it's not gone forever) and so on...

Oh, and Mysterious Ways has never been better. Screw the solo, they play it with such energy, and works perfectly early in the set.

I agree with some of this and disagree with some of this, but overall, good post.:up:

i thought this was going to be about a song called the staples! :wink:

i will follow: it's good live though i wish they'd play it a bit faster. sometimes it became a freaking funeral dirge.

new year's day: always great live. i never mind hearing it.

sbs: the performances are always great but i admit sometimes i tend to roll my eyes at it still being kicked around.

ishwilf: yawn. please never play this anymore, guys.

streets: always amazing live.

wowy: this song needed to be retired ages ago.

mysterious ways: always glad to see something off achtung baby played that isn't one. the solo's missing but eh, the song's still good.

one: omgnopleasemakeitstop.

uteotw: always great to hear live.

There should only be four staples: New Year's Day, Bad, Where the Streets Have No Name, and Until the End of the World. Every other song should be rotated, to varying degrees.

Stay:
Streets - best song ever. hands off!
One - i get the hate, but it's one of those songs they sorta "have to" play now
SBS - same as above
WOWY - i love this song, so i dont wanna see it go, plus it bridges UV/MOS well (not so much HMTM)
ELE - best pit reaction after Streets, cant drop a song like that, haters be damned lol
UTEOTW - hasn't worn out its welcome at all

On the Bubble:
IWF - love the energy they are giving it this tour, it can stick around, as long as it doesnt become an every-nighter again
NYD - Bono is singing it very well, but good idea to do a swap with IWF every once and a while. Thats totally the way they should be going with their hits
BD - Great song, and the crowd loves it, but as an opener... yuck! needs to be moved or swapped for something else

Toss:
MW - not a bad song at all, but its had a really long showing this tour and it would be fun to have something else now. bring in EBTTRT if you still want an AB song
Pride - disappeared but came back a few shows now, it's not needed anymore though. walk on fills the uplifting message moment of the show
ISHF - One of my absolute favorite songs ever, but I am fine with it being packed away for a while

Return:
Gloria - Was this ever a staple since the 80's? I dunno, but it showed up last tour. Plus I've come to grips with the fact that nothing besides this will ever be played from October, so i've given up and now want it in the show
Out Of Control - another good IWF type song that can get the crowd going and represent the early days
All I Want Is You - haven't heard it in a while. would be nice seeing it again
The Fly - How can this not be played under the claw?
Bad - Um hello?!

WOWY isn't sounding very good this tour but I still want it to stay because it wasn't in the set of the only U2 show I went to on Vertigo.

Streets, my favorite song for any artist ever, period. I actually thought the Vertigo version was one of the worst they did. I didn't think the flags worked at all and the transition from Pride to Streets was poor. One of the few bad transitions on the Vertigo tour. Seems to be back in good form this tour. :up:

ISHFWILF - Usually this is a yawn for me, but I have sort of been enjoying it the last two tours. Mid tempo song that does get the crowd into it. Not my fav, but not disliking it like I used to.

One - its just there, doesn't do anything for me. I like Amazing Grace following it into Streets though, that is a good transition (which this tour lacks in a lot of areas for me).

New Years Day - I will duck on this one. One of my least favorite U2 hits. Mediocre at best, don't care if I ever hear it again live.

Bullet - this needs to retire for a tour........ oh, oops. :wink: Here is one good setlist decision from this tour, lets hope they hold true to it and not play it on the 360 tour.

WOWY - I guess I'm somewhat in the minority on this one. Always like the song, I don't really get tired of it. If they did not play it I would be ok with it, but I enjoy it when they do. I guess I like Edge's guitar in it and Adam's bass line so much that I can live with Bono speaking the lyrics. :shrug:

Beautiful Day - Dont mind the song, should not be in the opening sequence. Does not work there at ALL!!!!

Walk On - sounds tired this tour. Wouldn't mind if it went away, but don't really care that its there either.

SBS - Hasnt sounded great live to me since The Joshua Tree tour. They play it to slow, they plod through it now. Should be an occassional song, not a staple.

Elevation - crowd goes nuts. Works when you are there, skip it when listening to a bootleg.

I really enjoy have they have added another dimension to 'Until End...' by sort of slowing the song down in the middle part. It gives the song better balance before that loud ending.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest two song slots as "must plays" from each album, with the exception of Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby which each gets 4 slots:

1. I Will Follow OR Out of Control
2. 11 Oclock Tick Tock OR Electric Co
3. Gloria
4. Tomorrow OR October
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday OR New Years Day
6. Two Hearts OR Like A Song
7. Pride OR A Sort of Homecoming
8. Bad OR The Unforgettable Fire
9. Streets
10. WOWY
11. Still Havent Found OR RTSS
12. Bullet the Blue OR Exit OR One Tree Hill
13. Heartland OR Van Diemen's
14. All I Want OR Angel of Harlem
15. Even Better OR Until The End
16. Ultraviolet OR Who's Gonna Ride
17. One
18. The Fly OR Acrobat
19. Lemon OR Stay
20. Beautiful Day OR Elevation
21. Stuck In a Moment OR In A Little While
22. Walk On OR When I Look At The World
23. City Of Blinding Lights OR Vertigo
24. Sometimes You Cant Make OR Crumbs
25. Magnificent (remix for god's sake) OR Crazy Tonight
26. Breathe OR No Line OR Unknown Caller.

That's 26 songs per night, with a 50 song repetoire.

ETA: Dammit. I forgot Pop, and I didn't mean to... Ok mix in Last Night On Earth OR DYFL and Please OR Gone somewhere in there ;)

Replace:

Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found...
With Or Without You
One

With:

Even Better than the real thing
A Sort of Homecoming
All I Want Is You
Please

:D

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest two song slots as "must plays" from each album, with the exception of Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby which each gets 4 slots:

1. I Will Follow OR Out of Control
2. 11 Oclock Tick Tock OR Electric Co
3. Gloria
4. Tomorrow OR October
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday OR New Years Day
6. Two Hearts OR Like A Song
7. Pride OR A Sort of Homecoming
8. Bad OR The Unforgettable Fire
9. Streets
10. WOWY
11. Still Havent Found OR RTSS
12. Bullet the Blue OR Exit OR One Tree Hill
13. Heartland OR Van Diemen's
14. All I Want OR Angel of Harlem
15. Even Better OR Until The End
16. Ultraviolet OR Who's Gonna Ride
17. One
18. The Fly OR Acrobat
19. Lemon OR Stay
20. Beautiful Day OR Elevation
21. Stuck In a Moment OR In A Little While
22. Walk On OR When I Look At The World
23. City Of Blinding Lights OR Vertigo
24. Sometimes You Cant Make OR Crumbs
25. Magnificent (remix for god's sake) OR Crazy Tonight
26. Breathe OR No Line OR Unknown Caller.

That's 26 songs per night, with a 50 song repetoire.

ETA: Dammit. I forgot Pop, and I didn't mean to... Ok mix in Last Night On Earth OR DYFL and Please OR Gone somewhere in there ;)

How about BAD and THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE!!!

Back
Top Bottom