Yay or Nay on North Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miracle Drug is an awesome song, by the way. I'll take a Louisville slugger to anyone's solar plexus if they disagree. :)

:up:

i have a Louisville slugger at the petrol station i work at, presumably to take to a would-be robber's solar plexus.

I will join your pro-Miracle Drug vigilante group. I also have sports equipment that can inflict damage on naysayers.

As for North Star, it's still stuck in my head. Pretty melody, I really like the lyrics (not every song needs to be ambiguous or a metaphorical), Bono's vocals are good and heartfelt, and Edge's harmonies push it into the sublime.

Can a song that's 6-7 years old easily be called "unfinished"?

As I pointed out in another thread, I think this song has taken on another direction since Bomb. That version was actually recorded with Michael W Smith and was a tribute to Johnny Cash. I don't see much Johnny in this one. I have a feeling this was revisited during the SOA sessions, given the traveling theme.

Can a song that's 6-7 years old easily be called "unfinished"?

When its only played acoustically and live, I say it sounds unfinished. If it remains acoustic just like they played it, I wont care for it. I think it has potential if they work on it and not make it acoustic. So yes, it sounds unfinished to me. :shrug:

Also, they work on songs to death. So the fact that it may have been working on it for 6 years does'nt mean anything. Clearly it was unfirnished at 3 years. Whats the difference as far as time?? Can a song that is 3 years old be considered unfinished???? Clearly it can!

When its only played acoustically and live, I say it sounds unfinished. If it remains acoustic just like they played it, I wont care for it. I think it has potential if they work on it and not make it acoustic. So yes, it sounds unfinished to me. :shrug:

Also, they work on songs to death. So the fact that it may have been working on it for 6 years does'nt mean anything. Clearly it was unfirnished at 3 years. Whats the difference as far as time?? Can a song that is 3 years old be considered unfinished???? Clearly it can!

Wasn't "Sometimes" kicking around for over 5 years before the bridge was written?

There's also the 1980/1 soundcheck recording that appears to contain some of the Zoo Station guitar riffs. 1:05-1:55.
YouTube - U2 1981 360 rare song Selerinthians

Wasn't "Sometimes" kicking around for over 5 years before the bridge was written?

There's also the 1980/1 soundcheck recording that appears to contain some of the Zoo Station guitar riffs. 1:05-1:55.
YouTube - U2 1981 360 rare song Selerinthians

:scratch: are you trying to prove MY point? Otherwise I don't understand your response. Sometimes was called Tough at one time, it was different and more raw from how it turned out. So it sounded unfinished to the band 4 or 5 years before it was released. So my point, which I guess wasnt clear, is that it doesnt matter how long the band has worked on a song, it can still sound unfinished. If it wasn't they wouldnt continue to work on it.

North Star sounds unfinished to me for the reasons I have outlined twice. My point in my response to your post directed at me is that I don't understand why a song cannot sound unfinished just because the have worked on it for X number of years???? It can, and has.

Back
Top Bottom