Yay or Nay on North Star

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glastonbury is a total stinker imo.
North Star has a great melody and has much more potential than Glasto.

Sounds boring, but it's clearly unfinished, so whatever. I like it better than Glastonbury, but that's not saying much.

The more I listen to NORTH STAR, the more I believe that this song belongs right after WITH OR WITHOUT YOU, all lights off, except for the highest mirrorball fully illuminated while rotating (continuing the starry effect created during WOWY), and in addition, a full band version of the song, ...this would truly create a memorable north-starry effect!

I don't like it much. It reminds me of the super saccharine kind of song like Window In the Skies (one of U2's worst songs ever), but not as bad.

Still, it's better than that Glastonbury song. Sunshine in my pocket? I think I heard that on Barney and Friends.

To me, North Star almost feels like something a band like The Fray would record. Not sure if I'm damning the song by saying that, but that's the vibe I'm getting from the acoustic recording.

It feels aggressively accessible, and depending on the final studio version, I could see this one potentially being a mainstream crossover hit. If they really rework it and bring the rest of the band in, it has the potential to be another "Sweetest Thing." At this point, it can go either way.

C'mon boys...I want to hear "Bad" at least once in awhile in these stadium shows.

Seriously, make it your signature and be done with it...

I think it's been said before, but it bears repeating...

Think about this:

What if you heard the song Stay for the first time ever acoustic without hearing the studio version? What would you think about it?

Many of you would be making the same comments, boring, something the Fray wrote, generic, etc...

I feel the same as others....if I had heard an acoustic 'walk on' at first I would have said 'bleh". I am going to give this song a chance because the melody was spot on and the edge and bono harmony was quite awesome.:up:

Yay, will put it in CAPS after hearing another version or it properly recorded bc I think it will be a classic. Better than Glasto, but Stingray to me takes the cake, could be a huge song, will be curious to see if it's recorded on an album and will have some vocals, gets my juices going!

Seriously, make it your signature and be done with it...

I think it's been said before, but it bears repeating...

Think about this:

What if you heard the song Stay for the first time ever acoustic without hearing the studio version? What would you think about it?

Many of you would be making the same comments, boring, something the Fray wrote, generic, etc...

Not sure...at least Stay has great lyrics and a more intricate melody....North Star sounds like a one sentence chorus over and over again...

More intricate melody?

Um, no...

I can agree on lyrics, and I agree that the chorus leaves a lot to be desired lyric wise, but it has a very interesting melody. Stay is a great song, but I would never call it an "intricate melody".

I think it's got potential. It's extremely catchy---I've had the chorus in my head since hearing it on the rehearsal vid.

The last "rough draft" that had such a catchy hook was the 2006 Beachclip 404 ("All My Life"). Funnily enough, in terms of lyrics, these two songs couldn't be on the same album----"I can't wait any longer for your love" versus "All my life I have waited for, for this love that I have, oh Lord."

It feels aggressively accessible, and depending on the final studio version, I could see this one potentially being a mainstream crossover hit.

I thought the same thing.

This song is more immediate and radio friendly than anything on NLOTH. With the possible exception of Crazy Tonight. But even that didn't really catch on at all or become a hit, so who knows?

I like North Star, though. I'm also one of probably very few people on this site who prefers the Bomb to NLOTH, so I'm cool with a song from those sessions surfacing. I just noticed on this last listen that he borrows the "love and logic" line from Miracle Drug.

Miracle Drug is an awesome song, by the way. I'll take a Louisville slugger to anyone's solar plexus if they disagree. :)

EDIT: Also, in the bridge, the phrasing and delivery of the line "...there's only one light that can guide you" sounds exactly like the line "...if it's really love it will find you" from A Man And A Woman. So yeah, definitely a very strong HTDAAB vibe on this bitch.

I don't like the 2 songs, but Return of the Stingray is freaking sweet. I'd like it if that was the intro to another song they're working on.

This might be the lyrics:

Forty-five light years
From home
To be where you are
Where I wanna be
Beside you

Looking for direction
Starved to your affection
Through space between you and me

I can’t wait any longer
For your love
I can’t wait
I can’t wait
I can’t wait any longer
For it
I can’t wait any longer
For your love

The birds still singing for their rent
They fly above the government
It’s not a song of discontent
Our money now is nearly spent

Here I am, a space guy
Looking out for love and logic
In the universe
Hey hey

I can’t wait any longer
For your love
I can’t wait
I can’t wait
I can’t wait any longer
For it
I can’t wait any longer
For your love

And a day as it ends
And you watch as the sun goes down
Pray that the night
Will go quickly
Your hope
Your prayer
And the clouds leave the sky alone
There’s only one light that can guide you
Guide you home

I can’t wait any longer
I can’t wait any longer
For your love
I can’t wait any longer
For your love
I can’t wait
I can’t wait
I can’t wait any longer
For your love
For your love

It’s like the silence and shock
While the lights are barely shining
You want it
You got it
You take it like a lover
Inside

kinda boring for me. Would be ok with the other 2 guys playing and Edge plugging his guitar, otherwise another slow boring song 10 times worse than the real good slow songs this band has.

This might be the lyrics:

Here I am, a space guy
Looking out for love and logic
In the universe
Hey hey

He definitely says "space cowboy." Other than that, though, those are pretty close. A couple other minor things.

I'll give it a yay. It's not that bad, but like the majority here has said, a little more work. It has potential.

Back
Top Bottom