WOWY - what happened ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my opinion With or WIthout is U2's staple song kind of like Born to Run is to Springsteen and Satisfaction is to the Stones. I couldnt imagine going to a show and not hearing it played.
The only show I ever went (Vertigo Brussels) to WOWY was not played and I didn't even notice. I didn't even care (I only new the hits and the new songs). I had a great time. I can't imagine being dissapointed by show just because one song wasn't played.

The only show I ever went (Vertigo Brussels) to WOWY was not played and I didn't even notice. I didn't even care (I only new the hits and the new songs). I had a great time. I can't imagine being dissapointed by show just because one song wasn't played.

first time i saw U2 was at the vertigo show in twickenham londo, was gutted they didnt play WOWY that night, luckily they made up for it the next night - even though it wasn't a brilliant vocal it was epic hearing it for the first time live.

first time i saw U2 was at the vertigo show in twickenham londo, was gutted they didnt play WOWY that night, luckily they made up for it the next night - even though it wasn't a brilliant vocal it was epic hearing it for the first time live.

They didn't play it at my first U2 show in Chicago. I was also dissappointed, especially cause they played vertigo twice... Looks like I'll hear at the Toronto show I'm going to. Despite how weak I think it sounds now, I hope I'm just blown away by actually hearing it live. I'm trying to keep my expectations low though.

What happened to WOWY, MacPhisto got a hold of it, and Bono now thinks that's how it's suppose to be sung...

I don't care for WOWY as a general rule, but I liked the Macphisto's take on it. Partially because of the amazing segues from UV and Lemon, and partially because it was slightly abridged. :wink:

MacPhisto owned the song, period.
The segue from Lemon into WOWY was fanfuckingtastic. "Midnight is where the day begins"indeed". And all those people stating that he was talking his way through the song at those concerts. You have no clue. Popmart is where it went downhill and it hasnt recovered since

The thing I've noticed about U2 this tour is that, although ok they will throw out a couple of songs they've never played before, but that don't seem to be as adventurous in their setlist song choices. I mean anyone here who disagrees just look at the Vertigo Tour setlists, for a good number of shows they even started with LAPOE as the opener.

My point is simply that U2 are playing way too much in their safe 'zone' this tour in regards to setlists, NOT single song changes. While it's nice to see them happy and comfortable, it gets very repetitive. Maybe they are just trying to keep things the same experience wise for fans all over, but I think it would be nice to have a few surprises now and then and shake things up. Surely U2 must get somewhat bored of particular songs too?

Anyway as usual, I expect someone to say "I LOVE THE SETLIST AS IT IS BLABLA, YOU ARE WRONG"

This is just my opinion.

They didn't play it at my first U2 show in Chicago. I was also dissappointed, especially cause they played vertigo twice... Looks like I'll hear at the Toronto show I'm going to. Despite how weak I think it sounds now, I hope I'm just blown away by actually hearing it live. I'm trying to keep my expectations low though.

the key to WOWy is the ending to make it perfect they have to do the stars bit

I'll be honest with you here: I totally prefer Bono's voice now to 1987. In that clip from the Paris concert released during the JT tour, sometimes Bono's voice sounds like it's going off the rails (see: "my hands are tied...").

Hm, can not disagree more ... Exactly this kind of emotion made the song energetic and special!

Doesn't look like the wheel mic is going anywhere soon... now that it LIGHTS UP!!!1 :love:

3916923740_899b0d12ab_o.jpg

:wink:

I wonder if he can still swing around so much on this new version though :hmm:

3916117307_9377d35ee5_b.jpg

and on topic... I like WOWY in all it's forms over the years, though I do long to hear the shine like stars ending whenever it's not there... but I get over it after a moment and still enjoy the song every time.

with or without you is becoming a special level of bad. it's nearly on par with crap like one and elevation for how worthwhile the live performances are.

which is a huge shame, given how great it once was.

I thought One was better this tour, Elevation wasn't bad, but I liked the Vertigo version with the sexy and slow build-up much much more, wish they'd bring that one back. WOWY, on the other hand, should be given a well deserved rest.

with or without you is becoming a special level of bad. it's nearly on par with crap like one and elevation for how worthwhile the live performances are.

which is a huge shame, given how great it once was.

Heard all these songs performed live last night. You can ask for more.

I can't!!!

Honestly, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting after hearing all the complaints about it. :lol:

Still wouldn't mind losing it, though. At least he seems to have dropped the tired and drama-inducing "dance with a girl" bit. And I liked watching him play with the microphone.

After seeing WOWY in person, I now think even less of the current performance style. It didn't make me want to claw someone's eyes out, like Elevation did, and it didn't make me literally sit down, like Vertigo did, but it wreaked of mediocrity. Even a friend of mine who was with me, who wasn't very familiar with how these songs are currently played, immediately commented on how Bono simply didn't try on One and WOWY.

And it's really sad. WOWY fits perfectly into its spot in the encore. The visual effects are insanely amazing on it. Larry's drumming during the song is the best it has been since 1992. And Shine Like Stars would fit perfectly into the show, thematically.

As much as it should retire, it won't... it's one of U2's biggest singles (it was a #1 single infact) -- it has this kind of power to it, it clicks with a lot of people -- much like "One" it needs to be reworked -- or played like it was on the Joshua Tree, with Larry's drumming and then Adam joining in and finally Edge.

It's going to stay regardless if we don't.

its infuriating as in all of these performances on the 360 tour there are bits were it sounds great and bono sounds great but it seems he has managed to mess up so to speak every performance i have heard in some way - its frustrating as he will sing parts of it well and then sing other badly or not sing them at all - i dont get it because if he is singing parts well he surely can sing the entire song in that way - i think he does it on purpose

its infuriating as in all of these performances on the 360 tour there are bits were it sounds great and bono sounds great but it seems he has managed to mess up so to speak every performance i have heard in some way - its frustrating as he will sing parts of it well and then sing other badly or not sing them at all - i dont get it because if he is singing parts well he surely can sing the entire song in that way - i think he does it on purpose

He does it on purpose, it is his aproach to the tune this time. But for me, this does not make the result better, sorry.:down:

He's doing the verses in a Leonard Cohen style. It's not that he can't sing it, obviously, he sings quite well in other songs. It's just different, that's all.

The only thing wrong with the song in my eyes is I want that Rattle N Hum Edge solo back. God that is amazing :drool:

Back
Top Bottom