Willie's Diary - All info and updates HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's not possible on the 360 Tour. When the band hits the stage it's still light outside. There is no darkness. So whatever song they open with (and personally I'm fine with Beautiful Day) it cannot be enhanced by any big light effects.

this time of year it would be dark enough, I think, come 9pm in the UK at least. June or July, yes you're right

edit Actually, no you are right. It would need to be pitch black. Stingray - I Will Follow it is then

That's not possible on the 360 Tour. When the band hits the stage it's still light outside. There is no darkness. So whatever song they open with (and personally I'm fine with Beautiful Day) it cannot be enhanced by any big light effects.

You are fine with it, great. But do you think it stacks up with the openers U2 has done on prior tours or even comes close?

NLOTH live doesn't have the explosion-of-noise boom yet of the album version. If they can work on that song and actually make it blast off instead of just rumble along until the drums kick in like they do currently, then I'm up for it opening. As of now, it doesn't have that kick.

GOYB could work, if it were to follow a really interesting opening visual/audio barrage. Keep with the space theme, of the Zoobaby watching what the band and crowd is up to. Something other-worldly and futuristic. The countdown can follow and then straight into the riff, house lights turn on and the band is suddenly there.

Magnificent would be possible if they played it a little faster. Not metal speed, but just the slightest increase in tempo to get the song moving a bit. It's not quick enough to really have that POP good openers have. It has the perfect intro for an opener though, the whole loud note and synthy beeps/boops building up the tension. I wonder what ever happened to their intro they were planning on doing for Magnificent before the tour started?

YouTube - U2 - 11 Days Countdown to U2 360 - U2MIRACLE.COM

Would be kinda interesting if they had went that route. The band walking out unseen on to the dark stage. That eerie string music and droplet noises as the crowd waits in excitement. Then straight into the start of the song.
But these are the final strings of "Soon"...

Anyone have a link to the Rolling Stone article where Edge says that they are not "promoting anything on this leg of the tour"?

Someone posted the scans of the pages in one of the other threads ... the New Music/New Album thread, I think?

:ohmy:
Wat.

Also, alien video sounds hilarious, HELL YES THEY DITCHED THE AWKWARD AUNG SAN SUU KYI MASKS, and I love Willie Williams' tour diaries more than I love most things.

Yeah the alien video is really cool. It took us a while to realise what song they were humming though! :lol:

The masks are replaced by lights. It's so much better and not creepy!

Since we are not promoting anything this tour, who cares about the order? As long as U2 still has 6 or so new songs in the set list and 11 or 12 2000s songs, they will avoid the dreaded nostalgia label.

I say this is how they do it:

Opener

Space Oddity/Soon(just like 2009 legs)

1.)Where The Streets Have No Name(red screen like JT tour)
2.)I Will Follow
3.)Glastonbury
4.)Beautiful Day
5.)Magnificent
6.)Mysterious Ways

as you wish from here.........

If they can't find something that works, and they are not opening with a new song, why not go back to what did work?

Opener #2

Space Oddity/Return of The Stingray Guitar(just like 2010 leg)

1.)Until The End of The World
2.)New Year's Day
3.)Beautiful Day
4.)Magnificent
as you wish from here........

How awesome would it be if they could somehow(and I am sure Willie and company could come up with a good way to do this) blend this intro on Zoo TV with "Return of The Stingray?"

YouTube - U2 - Until The End Of The World & New Year's Day (ZOO TV Live From Sydney)(HIGH QUALITY)

This would be insane!

If they don't want to be this imaginative, suggestions of HMTMKMKM and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock could be taken to heart as well!

Another epidsode of Willies Diary, Full Dress Rehearsal:

Again i hope its ok to keep posting these, if not please say:

Turin. Production rehearsals.

In a moment of inspiration I'd suggested that we do our full dress rehearsal tonight. This means we'll have time to fix things if necessary and is also something of a safety measure in that Bono won't have to do a full run through tomorrow. He seems to be doing very well in his post-operation return to stage, but he hasn't yet gone at it for two hours in one uninterrupted stretch.

All today's timings were earlier than they have been this week to accommodate the time needed for a full run-through, so there was a faint reminder of what it feels like to actually do a show. We ran through the whole show with the band in stage gear, and made it without stopping which was enormously encouraging.

Both North Star and Glastonbury were included and the lunatic opening with The Return of the Stingray Guitar. We ended up placing Miss Sarajevo in the Unknown Caller slot and I'm delighted with the 'Questions' audio-visual piece that links it to Until the End of the World. Hold Me, Thrill Me replaced Ultraviolet as the encore opener, which will no doubt cause apoplectic consternation on the U2 fan sites, but for at least the first show of a new year this feels like the right thing to do.

We had our post-mortem afterwards, which was largely positive though there remain a lot of fixes to make tomorrow. Bono was exhausted but he is clearly going to be able to do this which is a great relief all round. There are lots of technical things to sort out still, but I think we're in as good a shape as we can be. I programmed late with my team, but I think that's it now. Unless anything startling happens tomorrow, we're good to go. Might even manage an early night.

YouTube - Black Angels - George Crumb

Someone at the At U2 forum had a version that was a live mix of HMTMKMKM from Turin I think. The song above was like the intro and it started clashing with the intro violins of HMTM. It sounded pretty cool and it creeped me out last night when I was listening to it.

Imagine that coming out of the 360 speakers. :drool:

would be a real BLAST... that into HMTMKMKM then they go strengh into UTEOTW, then Boots would set the show onto some serious kick-ass basis :drool:

It's no problem but if there's going to be a lot, I can merge them all to one "Willies Diary" thread?

Yes, let's open with even older songs.

Beautiful Day, released in 2000 is, for the purposes of a discussion on opening with new versus old material, no more of a new, forward looking opener than Streets.

It was a big radio hit that made U2 relevant again a full decade ago.

You keep trying to use this argument as a defense of going back to the Elevation Tour, but sorry, it just does not work.

Streets worked as an opener.

As would Until The End of The World.

Also, Edge, if you are not promoting anything this time around, could we please get Bad, In God's Country, Out of Control and one of the following 4 in the set list?

MOFO
Please
Last Night On Earth'
Gone

Both North Star and Glastonbury were included and the lunatic opening with The Return of the Stingray Guitar. We ended up placing Miss Sarajevo in the Unknown Caller slot and I'm delighted with the 'Questions' audio-visual piece that links it to Until the End of the World. Hold Me, Thrill Me replaced Ultraviolet as the encore opener, which will no doubt cause apoplectic consternation on the U2 fan sites, but for at least the first show of a new year this feels like the right thing to do.

:lol:

Willie Williams FTW.

Hold Me, Thrill Me replaced Ultraviolet as the encore opener, which will no doubt cause apoplectic consternation on the U2 fan sites, but for at least the first show of a new year this feels like the right thing to do.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Hold Me, Thrill Me replaced Ultraviolet as the encore opener, which will no doubt cause apoplectic consternation on the U2 fan sites, but for at least the first show of a new year this feels like the right thing to do.

Okay, this made be laugh. If you knew this would happen why not just keep the encore like in Horsens 2 and make other changes for 2nd night shows, like add Bad maybe.

Okay, this made be laugh. If you knew this would happen why not just keep the encore like in Horsens 2 and make other changes for 2nd night shows, like add Bad maybe.

I was thinking the same thing.

If you're actually cognizant of what your more hardcore fans think, and you don't really cater to them anyway....why would you knowingly yank one of the few songs on the set list most hardcore fans love?

They hate us!! Riot!

:panic:

Perhaps they simply didn't want to play Ultraviolet, at least at first?

Back
Top Bottom