Will U2 have the balls to play POP on the 360 Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pop oh please please please pretty pretty please :bow::pray: see i am begging and i hate to beg

Discotheque would kill, but Staring at the Sun would be an easy crowd-pleaser moment.

(I'd rather hear a full-on, funked-out Discotheque)

I really hope so because they've been so cowardly these last 12 years. And I hope they do a genuine Pop song and not something like SATS which sounds like their other work. If we're going to have Pop let's have Mofo, Discotheque, LNOE, Do You Feel Loved etc

Alright, I need to air some shit in here, people. This is not meant to be directly rude to anyone in paticular. I see this mentality floating around among a minority on several websites. Who cares if Pop is your favorite...get over it. U2 is not proud enough of that album to play it live a whole lot. I freaking love October (not my FAVORITE but up there) and they pretty much ignore it too, so thats the way things are. It's really irritating when people act like the 90s are the only U2 decade that mattered...they made 3 albums that decade, and they shun two of them. Thats the facts. They have made 12 albums...not 3!! Six incredible albums in the 80s, and three this decade! They are not 'scared' and not playing Pop does not mean they 'have no balls'...that's assinine. They don't want to play it, and they decide what they play. I have seen some people on other boards who I will swear, 90% of their posts are going onnnn and onnnnn about the 90s and Pop in particular. *yawn* Try to stop being so close-minded, ehhh?? Again, not directed at the people posting in this thread...just my views on the general sentiment, and it was a good place to express them. I'm sure you guys love the other great stuff the band has done :)

Alright, I need to air some shit in here, people. This is not meant to be directly rude to anyone in paticular. I see this mentality floating around among a minority on several websites. Who cares if Pop is your favorite...get over it. U2 is not proud enough of that album to play it live a whole lot. I freaking love October (not my FAVORITE but up there) and they pretty much ignore it too, so thats the way things are. It's really irritating when people act like the 90s are the only U2 decade that mattered...they made 3 albums that decade, and they shun two of them. Thats the facts. They have made 12 albums...not 3!! Six incredible albums in the 80s, and three this decade! They are not 'scared' and not playing Pop does not mean they 'have no balls'...that's assinine. They don't want to play it, and they decide what they play. I have seen some people on other boards who I will swear, 90% of their posts are going onnnn and onnnnn about the 90s and Pop in particular. *yawn* Try to stop being so close-minded, ehhh?? Again, not directed at the people posting in this thread...just my views on the general sentiment, and it was a good place to express them. I'm sure you guys love the other great stuff the band has done :)

The only reason I gave this thread it's name was for pure shock value, nothing more. Also, this thread was created mainly due to the fact that they have created an epic stage setting w/state of the art visuals that would fit very well with some of U2's rockers, I imagined a lot of 90's U2 catalogue would work well and since a lot of those songs (mainly POP) never get played, I wanted to know if any other U2 fans would agree. I created this thread to raise awareness that POP is a great album, doesn't get a lot of attention live, and wanted to know if anyone else felt this way...that's all, I'm not complaining, I thought this was an appropriate place to discuss this topic. :D

I hope U2 will take Hold Me and some great songs from POP, Popmart is the best stadium tour ever.... with best clear sound system that time.

U2 don't like the Pop very much.... but I think it was good that they did not re-recorded album again... this last U2 sound experiment looks still amazing for me today. Popmart was really rock shows.. I love audio recordings of all 4 legs.

The only reason I gave this thread it's name was for pure shock value, nothing more. Also, this thread was created mainly due to the fact that they have created an epic stage setting w/state of the art visuals that would fit very well with some of U2's rockers, I imagined a lot of 90's U2 catalogue would work well and since a lot of those songs (mainly POP) never get played, I wanted to know if any other U2 fans would agree. I created this thread to raise awareness that POP is a great album, doesn't get a lot of attention live, and wanted to know if anyone else felt this way...that's all, I'm not complaining, I thought this was an appropriate place to discuss this topic. :D

Oy, I read my post back and I sounded like a massive bitch! Sorry, I was in a bad mood when I wrote it. I guess I just saw this perfectly good thread as a place to express my general dismay at people who seem to only care about 90s U2. Unfortunately the band has so many great songs that they never played, don't play often, or haven't played in ages. It's good to see that they are realizing that with some songs they have been rehearsing (that i guess I can't name for spoiler purposes...) Anyways, the tour starts in two days!! :hyper: :applaud:

You're entitled to your view but I don’t think you see the issue in context. U2’s decision to not play songs from Pop is part of their general rejection of a brilliant album and the experimental spirit which inspired it. They must want to forget the 90s ever happened. Well the 90s did happen and for some of us, they saw the band’s best music. Do not mistake me: I have never advocated a setlist crammed with Pop and Zooropa material but is it that unreasonable to expect two or three songs each night? And is it unreasonable to make an issue of this? Absolutely not- because it is a disgrace that LNOE, Dirty Day, Mofo etc have been ignored for two whole tours while tired warhorses like Pride and Bullet have been allowed to stay. So, no I certainly won’t “get over it”, at least not until U2 themselves become “less close-minded” about their setlists!

U2 and POP is like Oasis and Be Here Now

both quality albums with quality tunes

I want to see Last Night on Earth!

well.... there's a disco ball and the disco onion on top of the Rocket

this stage is screaming DISCOTHEQUE :rockon:

U2 and POP is like Oasis and Be Here Now

both quality albums with quality tunes

I want to see Last Night on Earth!

and i was lucky enough to see Oasis open for U2 on PopMart tour when "Be Here Now" was new. i really hope u2 plays songs from POP this tour, the setlist needs more energy.

Oy, I read my post back and I sounded like a massive bitch! Sorry, I was in a bad mood when I wrote it. I guess I just saw this perfectly good thread as a place to express my general dismay at people who seem to only care about 90s U2. Unfortunately the band has so many great songs that they never played, don't play often, or haven't played in ages. It's good to see that they are realizing that with some songs they have been rehearsing (that i guess I can't name for spoiler purposes...) Anyways, the tour starts in two days!! :hyper: :applaud:

Bitchy mood or not, you have a point. :lol:

Tours are always for promoting the NEW material. When "Pop" was out, U2 focused on it for POPMart. The 360 Tour will focus on NLOTH.

U2 usually play between 7-9 songs from their new album. Their set lists are usually 20-22 songs in length. That leaves 11-15 songs from their catalog to play. While we fans would love to hear some obscurities, when selling out stadiums, U2 must play the big hits. While U2 may "retire" some songs for a while, they are simply replaced with another big hit.

U2 will play some of their favorite tracks, songs that go with the album (and UF songs blend incredibly well with NLOTH, so it's no surprise to see more UF songs in the setlist) and songs flow with the overall theme/mood of the concert.

Plus, when U2 did play some more obscure songs, like "An Cat Dubh" during the last tour, many in the audience felt it was a good chance to go for a beer! In other words, play obscure songs that only die-hards love and you lose your audience. But play a fairly well known track, even if it wasn't a monster hit - like "Unforgettable Fire" - and both the die-hards and average fan are happy.

"Pop" produced a few hits and "Staring at the Sun" is the most likely to be played. "Please" may work its way in. Personally, I'd love to see "Mofo", with a few lyrical changes, but does "Mofo" even belong in this set list?

Bottom line, I agree with you - we probably won't see many songs, if any, from "Boy", "October", "Zooropa" or "Pop". But look at the Barcelona setlist:

1. Breathe
2. No Line on the Horizon
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. Beautiful Day
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. Angel Of Harlem
8. In A Little While
9. Unknown Caller
10. The Unforgettable Fire
11. City of Blinding Lights
12. Vertigo
13. Crazy Tonight (Remix)
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Pride (In the Name Of Love)
16. MLK
17. Walk On/ You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

Encore:

18.Where The Streets Have No Name
19.One

2nd Encore:
20.Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
21.With Or Without You
22.Moment of Surrender

There are just 2 songs from AB - U2's most popular album in the 90's and second most popular overall. There are just 3 songs from JT - U2's most popular album ever!

In other words, something has to give. And, like it or not, some albums are sacrificed.

But it's a long tour - maybe we'll see some other rare songs as time progresses. :yes:

The accoustic version of "Please" from the Vertigo tour is one of their greatest perfomances ever. I believe its on YouTube. Absolutely awesome. I think Pop while not as great as Zoo TV got a Bad rap and along with the Original Poster I agree it was a great album/ tour. Much Much better album than NLOTH

Back
Top Bottom