Will Boots get the Boot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
Anyone thing "Boots" will be dropped next year to make room for the new material? And, does anyone think they'll still open with "Breathe"? They won't be promoting "No Sales on the Horizon" anymore

SMB

I think Boots will stay, but I've got to believe 1-2 of the opening NLOTH songs may be dropped, Mag, NLOTH or Breathe.

Maybe this 2nd Leg is U2 practicing mixing up the setlist more for next summer. With SOA and NLOTH, they'll have so many songs to rotate.

I think Boots will be played more often than not next summer.

Mark

No. Boots is one of their best live songs and rocks very hard. It stands next to songs like Vertigo and Elevation when it comes to audience participation. I've never been a big fan of the song, but it's amazing live, together with the Crazy Remix. U2 would be stupid to drop these two. I hope they add more new stuff instead of dropping it.

If SOA is really released in the spring, Boots, Crazy Tonight, and possibly Magnificent will stay. The rest will be dropped or rotated. And if SOA turns out to sell well, then I think U2 will be more willing to move on from NLOTH.

Alot of people are going to strongly disagree with me, but if SOA is released, I think they should completely overhaul the setlist. They should drop The Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet, Walk On, etc. I LOVED hearing these songs on the tour, but with them dropped, U2 has the chance to bring out some new gems and give them some tour time.

Also, it's one thing to have similar setlists when there is only a few months between legs (IE the first and third legs of the Vertigo Tour). However, I think people coming to their second (or third or whatever) shows when there is, in some cases, going to be almost a year between shows will be really pissed if they are essentially seeing the same show with a few new songs thrown in. And I'm not even really talking about die hard U2 fans, I'm talking more about the casual U2 fan who might've seen them this year and were blown away by the production and want to see U2 again with a new album to promote.

If SOA as a mediative experimental album actually got released its likely that a lot of it wouldn't be played live, I think they'd try and do a ZooTV like mix of both albums, instead of dropping NLOTH down to just a few songs. Boots is the one getting the most excitement out of the crowd, it'll be UC, MOS and Breathe are the ones that are the likely first victims, but I think some ATYCLB would fade out too. Magnificent will likely take on the lasting life COBL has seen so I don't see them dropping it. NLOTH will probably remain on this tour to keep that name in the air.

Boots kind of lacks that punch for it live... if they did Breathe / Boots / I Will Follow (Or Out Of Control) -- it'd be a nice change...

Breathe
Get On Your Boots
Out Of Control
Beautiful Day

If SOA comes out before leg 3 there will be some NLOTH songs dropped but I don't think it'll be Boots.

It gets a strong reaction cause most of the crowd gets bored with the first two songs, then Boots starts and people are like 'yay, i know this one! my 250 bucks may not have gone completely down the drain'

SMB

It gets a strong reaction cause most of the crowd gets bored with the first two songs, then Boots starts and people are like 'yay, i know this one! my 250 bucks may not have gone completely down the drain'

SMB
Casual fans...:lol:

No. It's great live, THOUGH you don't LIKE it so others obviously can't like it too.

FACE IT

casual fans AND more hardcore fans ALL love songs like Boots, Elevation and Vertigo. In the pit it's a party when those songs are played and everybody jumps along anyway.

They will NEVER all be dropped. I can see Vertigo become a rotating song the next tour, but it will never completely dissapear.

Having listened to the Sheffield Boot tonight.....I would say boots is not only the weakest track on the album, but also the least effective of the rockers in the live set!

Well, gman, you might have listened to the bootleg, but have you been to the show?

Because in FedEx Field on September 29, Washington DC went fucking crazy for Get On Your Boots, and so did the band.

It was a clear highlight of the show, to me.

Personal opinion follows...

I can't stand the track on the album. The "Sexy Boots" part has too much cheese factor for me.

That being said...

I thought the song rocked live at the two shows I saw. The "let me in the sound" part was especially fun to rock out to live.

If there is a new album, I could see them fully replacing Breathe, Unknown Caller and Moment of Surrender.

I could see them rotating No Line and Boots into the set.

I could see them keeping Crazy and Magnificent nightly.

I would guess that they would play at least three on a given night???

I think Boots and Breathe stay, Crazy might, but I think Magnificent, UC, and NLOTH will be gone to make way for new tunes.

U2 don't drop lead singles on their debut tour, or at least haven't for two decades. The last time a lead single missed a gig on its debut tour was when Desire missed a solitary Lovetown show, 28 September 1989. The only lead singles to ever miss more than one show on their album's tour are A Day Without Me and Fire!

In other words, history says Boots is very safe. Plus it's one of the NLOTH songs that gets the crowd going the most, along with the title track and Crazy. Doubt it's going anywhere.

If SOA is really released in the spring, Boots, Crazy Tonight, and possibly Magnificent will stay. The rest will be dropped or rotated. And if SOA turns out to sell well, then I think U2 will be more willing to move on from NLOTH.

Alot of people are going to strongly disagree with me, but if SOA is released, I think they should completely overhaul the setlist. They should drop The Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet, Walk On, etc. I LOVED hearing these songs on the tour, but with them dropped, U2 has the chance to bring out some new gems and give them some tour time.

Also, it's one thing to have similar setlists when there is only a few months between legs (IE the first and third legs of the Vertigo Tour). However, I think people coming to their second (or third or whatever) shows when there is, in some cases, going to be almost a year between shows will be really pissed if they are essentially seeing the same show with a few new songs thrown in. And I'm not even really talking about die hard U2 fans, I'm talking more about the casual U2 fan who might've seen them this year and were blown away by the production and want to see U2 again with a new album to promote.

"THEY SHOULD DROP THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE" ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of U2 fan are you ?

Get On Your Boots will stay.
I'll Go Crazy will stay
I expect Moment of Surrender will stay
and they'd be crazy to drop NLOTH.

So, as much as I hate to say it; Unknown Caller and Breathe will probably get the axe, and Magnificent is in danger.

I expect roughly 3 songs off of SOA will get added, so that's about right....

Of course, there is talk of them adding more NLOTH songs or at least trying them out, so who knows.... The program suggests White As Snow will get played...

I really don't see Magnificent being in danger, the band love it and so do the crowds, they know that it has the potential to be a live classic even without airplay just like COBL.

Not this tour it won't. But I doubt they'll force the issue like they have with Elevation and Vertigo and assume that everyone just :heart:s the song to bits.

"THEY SHOULD DROP THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE" ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of U2 fan are you ?

I forgot to mention that The Unforgettable Fire is my ALL TIME favorite U2 song. It's the first non single I heard by the band and it's the song that got me into U2. I love the fact that it was added to the setlist and I think it sounds so much better now live than it did in the 1980's. That being said, I think it's only fair to allow some other rare U2 songs the chance to be played.

Everything but the NLOTH tracks, Bad, Ultraviolet (mostly because of the spectacle associated with it), and Streets should be rotated nightly.

I'm sure Unknown Caller will be back on the second leg, i'm not getting too freaked out at its absence. It'll be back.

Back
Top Bottom